ADVERTISEMENT

Diamant Blazi visiting

This has Hanner Perea vibes to it...athletic freak, but can he play basketball? Dunno, but he's visiting.
100% depends on his personality and mental makeup. If he's any sort of Victor Olidipo type kid, he'll probably be a diamond in the rough type, future NBA kid. If he's not...Hanner 2.0 maybe.

Hopefully the staff can pick up on that through their evals, and during the visit. If he appears to have the right mindset, no brainer offer. If not, then much less of a no brainer.

Did everyone watch the entire clip or only the first 30 seconds? I'm not saying this guy will be great, but if you watch the entire clip, he does several things including a good handle that Hanner couldn't do in his wettest of dreams. He definitely appears to rely on his athleticism...but definitely has a skill set too that not many kids with that kind of ability have developed at that age. If he's got a good head on his shoulders, drop the bag at his feet tomorrow.

Last edited:
Did everyone watch the entire clip or only the first 30 seconds? I'm not saying this guy will be great, but if you watch the entire clip, he does several things including a good handle that Hanner couldn't do in his wettest of dreams. He definitely appears to rely on his athleticism...but definitely has a skill set too that not many kids with that kind of ability haven't developed at that age. If he's got a good head on his shoulders, drop the bag at his feet tomorrow.
but can he shoot the long ball? IU women don't dig it. if no, he'll fit right in

Did everyone watch the entire clip or only the first 30 seconds? I'm not saying this guy will be great, but if you watch the entire clip, he does several things including a good handle that Hanner couldn't do in his wettest of dreams. He definitely appears to rely on his athleticism...but definitely has a skill set too that not many kids with that kind of ability have developed at that age. If he's got a good head on his shoulders, drop the bag at his feet tomorrow.
Had a couple of nice stop-on-a-dime step back threes that were sweet.

He's certainly can play above the rim. Has speed and appears to have good handles with burst to the rim. Shows the tools to play D and attack the boards. Nice shooting form from the outside shooting he offered. What kind of HS competition does he hone his skills?

He's certainly can play above the rim. Has speed and appears to have good handles with burst to the rim. Shows the tools to play D and attack the boards. Nice shooting form from the outside shooting he offered. What kind of HS competition does he hone his skills?
Did a little reading on him last night. He's from France and only been in the states 1 year. Supposedly a very bright & good kid. Playing at a school in FL...I have no idea on the competition. Saw he's listed at 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan and 42" vertical. Again, maybe not a world beater out of the gate, but look how smooth the kid is and you can't teach that sort of athleticism.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I mean I remember people drooling over the you tube clips of Peter Jurkin. I do not put any stock into you tube highlight clips. He would obviously be a project that would take several years mosts likely to pan out if he does pan out.

I mean I remember people drooling over the you tube clips of Peter Jurkin. I do not put any stock into you tube highlight clips. He would obviously be a project that would take several years mosts likely to pan out if he does pan out.
I don't recall anyone overly high on PJ, just that he was considered the first domino to fall and signaled others were probably following....but either way, if you watch the video, you'll see this young man doing things that I'm not sure anyone on our current roster can do.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
I don't recall anyone overly high on PJ, just that he was considered the first domino to fall and signaled others were probably following....but either way, if you watch the video, you'll see this young man doing things that I'm not sure anyone on our current roster can do.
I remember some being really impressed with his highlight dunk videos and super in awe of hanner's videos. After I saw this happen several times with several different recruits who never panned out I gave up on putting any stock into you tube highlight videos. That is just me though.

And even if he is doing things you say currrent guys on our team cannot do what is the competiton like? I mean can he do it against college level guys?

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I remember some being really impressed with his highlight dunk videos and super in awe of hanner's videos. After I saw this happen several times with several different recruits who never panned out I gave up on putting any stock into you tube highlight videos. That is just me though.

And even if he is doing things you say currrent guys on our team cannot do what is the competiton like? I mean can he do it against college level guys?
Well, he made several 3 pointers...I'm not sure anyone on our roster can do that! Hear you on the competition and some of it did look suspect. But give me a 6'8" long freak athlete that has a handle and good shooting form and I'll take my chances. On top of that, I would say he would be our best shot blocker next season. Watch the video, just don't turn it off after the first 30 seconds (all dunks) then the skill starts coming in.

I was fooled by the Hanner highlights. I saw him in person before IU and that helped temper my expectations, though I still thought he would be better than he was.

A weird one was Jeremy Hollowell. I saw him play some great high school and AAU games where he had threes, midrange, and could get to the rim vs very good competition… but then he couldn’t play when he got to IU. Still confuses me.

Well, he made several 3 pointers...I'm not sure anyone on our roster can do that! Hear you on the competition and some of it did look suspect. But give me a 6'8" long freak athlete that has a handle and good shooting form and I'll take my chances. On top of that, I would say he would be our best shot blocker next season. Watch the video, just don't turn it off after the first 30 seconds (all dunks) then the skill starts coming in.
Top shot blocker? I mean I would think his offer list would be alot more impressive if he is the legit talent you are claiming he is. I am not going to watch the video I have watched many a videos where they looked super impressive and then did nothing when they came in. I mean cuppps was really hyped up as well as being somebody who could be legit from day one. There is usually a reason a guy is ranked where he is or is not ranked. I mean they have 7 or 8 grants to give so offering a guy like this is not really a huge risk. But I certainly would not expect him to be a day one minutes guy jsut cause he has an impressive video.

I was fooled by the Hanner highlights. I saw him in person before IU and that helped temper my expectations, though I still thought he would be better than he was.

A weird one was Jeremy Hollowell. I saw him play some great high school and AAU games where he had threes, midrange, and could get to the rim vs very good competition… but then he couldn’t play when he got to IU. Still confuses me.
I saw hanner play in an aau tournament was not that impressed. He had four or five inches on the other team and he got a few dunks but that was about it. Yogi was the only one on that AAU team who impresssed me. Even Hollowell was not super impressive when I watched that weekend. This is why I put no stock in highlight videos at all they can make anyone look good.

I mean priller shot like 48% from three in hs so I am sure he looked good on a highlight tape against which I assume was not good teams.

Top shot blocker? I mean I would think his offer list would be alot more impressive if he is the legit talent you are claiming he is. I am not going to watch the video I have watched many a videos where they looked super impressive and then did nothing when they came in. I mean cuppps was really hyped up as well as being somebody who could be legit from day one. There is usually a reason a guy is ranked where he is or is not ranked. I mean they have 7 or 8 grants to give so offering a guy like this is not really a huge risk. But I certainly would not expect him to be a day one minutes guy jsut cause he has an impressive video.
I'll say this and leave it. You won't spend 1 minute and 30 seconds to watch some video on the kid, but will speculate that he's trash because he just came to the US and has minimal offers? Then you want to talk about rankings....aren't you the same guy that's trashed CMW for chasing ***'s rather than fit? And I never said he would dominate from day one...just that he's got skills nobody else on this current team appears to have.

I'll say this and leave it. You won't spend 1 minute and 30 seconds to watch some video on the kid, but will speculate that he's trash because he just came to the US and has minimal offers? Then you want to talk about rankings....aren't you the same guy that's trashed CMW for chasing ***'s rather than fit? And I never said he would dominate from day one...just that he's got skills nobody else on this current team appears to have.
You said he would be the top shot blocker on the team. You know what I will go an watch your video ok.

I get that with Hanner. What was that deal where he did a jump just going straight up and you could not believe how high he got. Jeremy was a guy I followed when he got to Georgia State because I know some missionaries who work on that campus in Atlanta.

Well you need also to add a foundation to build off. Can’t be a team full of 1 year rentals every year
He's very likely to be just that ....a one year rental! Our history of getting boo diddly out of these 5 stars that stay around for one year is terrible. This kid may be the exception but the odds are against it.

Long term, I'd much prefer us only go for kids who want to be part of a program and stick around for several years. Right now though, we need immediate help and if we're going with one year rentals, I think our odds are better by going with older, more experienced kids.

that's shocking you are normally brimming with positivity.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
He's very likely to be just that ....a one year rental! Our history of getting boo diddly out of these 5 stars that stay around for one year is terrible. This kid may be the exception but the odds are against it.

Long term, I'd much prefer us only go for kids who want to be part of a program and stick around for several years. Right now though, we need immediate help and if we're going with one year rentals, I think our odds are better by going with older, more experienced kids.
He's not a 5 star.

I hate the portal too, but either get used to it or find a new hobby

Reactions: Thcgh
Blah blah blah.

No way. Don't want this guy. Geronimo!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Don’t fall for it MT!..

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT