ADVERTISEMENT

Devine Redding declaring for draft. NT

I was referring to the talent he showed in college. Going pro when you're not expected to get drafted is a known bad decision IF you're not just wanting to get out of college and get on with it. If so, then who's to say whats a bad decision and whats not. When you're comparing statistical averages then there is a right and wrong move. It definitely paid off for him but not for most everyone else that tried the same thing. Based off the talent he showed in college, every nfl team that decided not to draft him agreed with me. End of story there..... next. He was not projected to do anything. I'm super stoked that he did. He gambled in himself and he at least broke even but....to pretend that I am wrong in saying he gambled is only fooling yourself.
Why do you have such a problem admitting you were wrong on him? Why?

Always? Clearly not. But more recently? Absolutely. The Roger Goodell NFL, combined with the kind of community involvement now typical of NFL teams, has pushed character issues to the front burner. Violence against women has been the hot button issue, but the blowback from situations like the Josh Brent / Jerry Brown tragedy have created an extremely negative profile that the league is addressing.

And for guys like Latham, who are trying to come into the league, multiple transgressions involving substance abuse are the best way for an otherwise talented player (at the toughest position to find able players) to go undrafted. That, not some perceived lack of talent, is why he went unclaimed in the draft.

No one said he was void of any talent. His talent projection alone was not going to get him drafted, even if he was a choir boy. Had he come back, he likely would've been considered a draft commodity. He gambled and made a paycheck. Not sure it was as high as he could've earned in this years draft but he did the unexpected. Good for him!

Why do you have such a problem admitting you were wrong on him? Why?

Wrong on what? I would love to if I knew what i was wrong with. You seem to be providing little information on the topic. He wasn't projected to get drafted. You said he was. I win. Next.

No one said he was void of any talent. His talent projection alone was not going to get him drafted, even if he was a choir boy. Had he come back, he likely would've been considered a draft commodity. He gambled and made a paycheck. Not sure it was as high as he could've earned in this years draft but he did the unexpected. Good for him!
Had he been a choirboy, he'd have been drafted. The gap was character.

Plain and simple: Latham had NFL talent to get drafted. He did not get drafted because of character issues.

From and NFL draft website:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/darius-latham?id=2555507

BOTTOM LINE
Latham's size and play traits might get him drafted beyond his production if his work ethic and character check out.

Latham responded by getting a DUI.
This shows very clearly that his talent was going to get him drafted. His gray matter didn't get the memo.

Plain and simple: Latham had NFL talent to get drafted. He did not get drafted because of character issues.

From an NFL draft website:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/darius-latham?id=2555507

BOTTOM LINE
Latham's size and play traits might get him drafted beyond his production if his work ethic and character check out.

Latham responded by getting a DUI.

Ha That states exactly what I have been saying. His production in no way showed he would get drafted. "Latham's size and play traits might get him drafted beyond his production." His off the field stuff is in the package but the kid wasn't getting drafted. He didn't have overwhelming production and the off the field issues just hammered the small dream of being drafted. All of this known before he made his decision to go pro. His later DUI was just more of the same but he already had made a name for himself.

Wrong on what? I would love to if I knew what i was wrong with. You seem to be providing little information on the topic. He wasn't projected to get drafted. You said he was. I win. Next.
You thought he wasn't talented enough. He obviously is. End of story.

Ha That states exactly what I have been saying. His production in no way showed he would get drafted. "Latham's size and play traits might get him drafted beyond his production." His off the field stuff is in the package but the kid wasn't getting drafted. He didn't have overwhelming production and the off the field issues just hammered the small dream of being drafted. All of this known before he made his decision to go pro. His later DUI was just more of the same but he already had made a name for himself.
Getting drafted "beyond his production" means that he would be overvalued by some teams and move up the draft board, not that he wouldn't get drafted.

Latham was a freak athlete with great size. I agree his production wasn't where it could have been, but he was also a junior. Have you heard of the strategy drafting for potential? He played in several games this season as a rook. Give it a rest.

Latham was a freak athlete with great size. I agree his production wasn't where it could have been, but he was also a junior. Have you heard of the strategy drafting for potential? He played in several games this season as a rook. Give it a rest.

Give what a rest? This isn't about what Latham has been able to do. I am rooting like heck for him to do great and was hoping he would get drafted. This is merely about a conversation prior to last years draft where I said he wouldn't get drafted, Fpeaugh said he would and.......well....I was right. He hates to admit it now but the truth shall set him free.

Give what a rest? This isn't about what Latham has been able to do. I am rooting like heck for him to do great and was hoping he would get drafted. This is merely about a conversation prior to last years draft where I said he wouldn't get drafted, Fpeaugh said he would and.......well....I was right. He hates to admit it now but the truth shall set him free.
You got the right answer but for the wrong reasons. Character issues kept him from being drafted, not his potential or performance. Without the suspension and the DUI, he's drafted. Those issues torpedoed that.

You got the right answer but for the wrong reasons. Character issues kept him from being drafted, not his potential or performance. Without the suspension and the DUI, he's drafted. Those issues torpedoed that.

That can be anyone's belief but without him actually being drafted, it's merely speculation on ones part. The only factual evidence shows him not going drafted. If character issues were so overwhelming, what is the organization gambling more by drafting in the 7th round vs signing him as a free agent? He just wasn't a draft commodity. The good news is, he was able to make a mark so far and make a paycheck.

That can be anyone's belief but without him actually being drafted, it's merely speculation on ones part. The only factual evidence shows him not going drafted. If character issues were so overwhelming, what is the organization gambling more by drafting in the 7th round vs signing him as a free agent? He just wasn't a draft commodity. The good news is, he was able to make a mark so far and make a paycheck.
The pre-draft report from the NFL disputes your view, but what do they know. And clearly he had the talent to be in the league, as his play this past season demonstrated. Again, you got the right answer but for the completely wrong reasons.

The pre-draft report from the NFL disputes your view, but what do they know. And clearly he had the talent to be in the league, as his play this past season demonstrated. Again, you got the right answer but for the completely wrong reasons.

The post draft report proves my view. There is no other fact available but hear say. Your report is not listed by any NFL office that is deciding upon the draft. But what do they know?! I got the right answer for the exact reasons I listed. It's just not something one can prove differently because the end result was exactly what I said would happen. Pretty cut and dry.

The post draft report proves my view. There is no other fact available but hear say. Your report is not listed by any NFL office that is deciding upon the draft. But what do they know?! I got the right answer for the exact reasons I listed. It's just not something one can prove differently because the end result was exactly what I said would happen. Pretty cut and dry.
Actually, it doesn't prove you were in any way correct, just as your talent assessment has proved wrong. This was a character issue, not a talent one. That's why he was such a contributor to the Raiders in his rookie year.

Actually, it doesn't prove you were in any way correct, just as your talent assessment has proved wrong. This was a character issue, not a talent one. That's why he was such a contributor to the Raiders in his rookie year.

Huh? My assessment was that he wouldn't get drafted based on what he did in college. I was right. Not sure why its so hard for you to admit it but continue to make excuses. The facts have laid themselves out perfectly for you. Shall I send you a link to the draft?

Huh? My assessment was that he wouldn't get drafted based on what he did in college. I was right. Not sure why its so hard for you to admit it but continue to make excuses. The facts have laid themselves out perfectly for you. Shall I send you a link to the draft?
His college play would have gotten him drafted if not for the harasser issues. Again, you got to the right answer, but for the wrong reason. The NFL knew he could play, and he's proven that. You seem to be the only "scout" who doesn't get it. lol

His college play would have gotten him drafted if not for the harasser issues. Again, you got to the right answer, but for the wrong reason. The NFL knew he could play, and he's proven that. You seem to be the only "scout" who doesn't get it. lol

The NFL article provided in this thread said that his production in college didn't warrant him draft status. It was his measurables (size) that projected him as a possible NFL player. So again, prove me where I am wrong about my stating his production did not knock the socks off any scout. He went exactly where he was going to go. You seem to be the only "scout" who believes he was drafted.....lol

"Latham's size and play traits might get him drafted beyond his production"

The NFL article provided in this thread said that his production in college didn't warrant him draft status. It was his measurables (size) that projected him as a possible NFL player. So again, prove me where I am wrong about my stating his production did not knock the socks off any scout. He went exactly where he was going to go. You seem to be the only "scout" who believes he was drafted.....lol

Getting drafted "beyond his production" means moving him higher up in the draft than his college play would merit rather than not being drafted. Assumed you knew this.

You're silly YOTHN. You are right, he didn't get drafted. Feel better now?

Not at all surprised at your continued inability to understand this stuff.

Being that people who have nothing viable to retort tend to reply with something just like this...... I will take that as your white flag.

Being that people who have nothing viable to retort tend to reply with something just like this...... I will take that as your white flag.
I'll certainly wave the white flag in full acknowledgement that I can't compete with your seemingly willful ignorance. You claimed Latham made a mistake leaving school early for the draft. This season proved that to be completely wrong. You claimed he wouldn't be drafted even though the pre-draft reports strongly suggested otherwise, and you completely ignore and / or dismiss the character issues that caused teams to not pick him, even expressing surprise that the NFL had any concern regarding players' off field activities.

In the end, you don't know what you don't know, and that's why you're having such a difficult day both here and on the hoops board.

I'll certainly wave the white flag in full acknowledgement that I can't compete with your seemingly willful ignorance. You claimed Latham made a mistake leaving school early for the draft. This season proved that to be completely wrong. You claimed he wouldn't be drafted even though the pre-draft reports strongly suggested otherwise, and you completely ignore and / or dismiss the character issues that caused teams to not pick him, even expressing surprise that the NFL had any concern regarding players' off field activities.

In the end, you don't know what you don't know, and that's why you're having such a difficult day both here and on the hoops board.

Oh so now everything changes in the conversation. Now you claim I said he made a mistake leaving school. No, I said the odds weren't in his favor leaving school. What I said is that he wouldn't get drafted and I was right. It must really pain you to have to agree with that fact. Sorry boutcha!

You two really need to knock it off. You're embarrassing yourselves.

ha It's a message board Marky Mark. Not sure one can embarrass themselves. I've seen you get criticized and fight back so lets not lash out as if you are of the utmost sophistication. The forum is for debating and that is what you'll find. It's entertaining.

ha It's a message board Marky Mark. Not sure one can embarrass themselves. I've seen you get criticized and fight back so lets not lash out as if you are of the utmost sophistication. The forum is for debating and that is what you'll find. It's entertaining.
Have to agree with Uncle Mark. Both of you made your points quite a while ago.

I think it is hilarious that you guys are trying to use some "professional site" as a guide to bolster your opinions. That is no more a "professional site" for what the "Pros" think, than we are on here. It is some writer trying to show he knows something about pro football and write it in a way that makes the public think "he's in the know" and you guys went for it....hilarious. The "real" evals from pro teams never see the light of day in a public forum or website and are not written with a reader in mind. I say that because I have seen one before, a long time ago, and it is nothing like this....

Reactions: YOTHN
I think it is hilarious that you guys are trying to use some "professional site" as a guide to bolster your opinions. That is no more a "professional site" for what the "Pros" think, than we are on here. It is some writer trying to show he knows something about pro football and write it in a way that makes the public think "he's in the know" and you guys went for it....hilarious. The "real" evals from pro teams never see the light of day in a public forum or website and are not written with a reader in mind. I say that because I have seen one before, a long time ago, and it is nothing like this....

I am with you on this. That was something they brought to the table. I merely used the draft as my barometer because well.....that was the original debate. I said he wouldn't get drafted, Fpeaugh disagreed. Then ole Bobbert came in defending him without knowing what the conversation was about.

I digress though. I agree completely that most of the information like this is meaningless. It's entertaining to hear another opinion which is where the market for such thing lies. Beyond that, to make it your source authority is misleading. The same around political science information because you can get completely opposite views of a situation depending upon the writer of the article. Nothing new there but it just seems to be getting worse.

Have to agree with Uncle Mark. Both of you made your points quite a while ago.

timthumb.php

I am with you on this. That was something they brought to the table. I merely used the draft as my barometer because well.....that was the original debate. I said he wouldn't get drafted, Fpeaugh disagreed. Then ole Bobbert came in defending him without knowing what the conversation was about.

I digress though. I agree completely that most of the information like this is meaningless. It's entertaining to hear another opinion which is where the market for such thing lies. Beyond that, to make it your source authority is misleading. The same around political science information because you can get completely opposite views of a situation depending upon the writer of the article. Nothing new there but it just seems to be getting worse.
I knew what the conversation was about, I just believed his off field transgressions tipped the scales away from his getting drafted. Not sure why that prompted your name calling but so be it.

I knew what the conversation was about, I just believed his off field transgressions tipped the scales away from his getting drafted. Not sure why that prompted your name calling but so be it.

I was just stating a nick name with no intention of considering it name calling. If that was what you got from that then I apologize.

I haven't been able to follow Latham's production this year, and during the playoff game I saw him on the field only for extra points and field goals. What role(s) did the Raiders settle on for him this season, and does it look like he'll see the field more as a position player next year?

I haven't been able to follow Latham's production this year, and during the playoff game I saw him on the field only for extra points and field goals. What role(s) did the Raiders settle on for him this season, and does it look like he'll see the field more as a position player next year?
He was part of their D line rotation. I think they're very high on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT