ADVERTISEMENT

Devine Redding declaring for draft. NT

He might as well declare for the basketball draft also.

This makes absolutely no sense. He is a legitimate Big10 player. But he is not an explosive runner, he is not a great blocker or pass catcher and he lacks size.

Last edited:

This makes absolutely no sense. He is a legitimate Big10 player. But he is not an explosive runner, he is not a great blocker or pass catcher and he lacks size.

But I don't think he improves is stock much by sticking around which is maybe a 50-50 shot at a late round pick . And, if Patrick is the real deal, Redding's carries go down and his chances of getting drafted become even smaller.

This is not like basketball. You declare for the NFL and your college career is over.

It's a deep conversation each player has to consider. I know I was right in stating he shouldn't have gone based talent wise, Darius Latham was taking a VERY large gamble going pro. It ended paying off for him and that's fantastic but from a pure talent projection standpoint, he departed earlier than anyone expected or that he should have.

What I didn't consider last year was that some of these guys understand the amount of work it takes to prepare and be ready for the next season. It's one thing to be making money doing it but its another to just be playing college ball. Lots of guys are all about playing college ball and that's great but it's also not for everyone. Some just want to get out of dodge, try their darnedest to make a team and if not, eh, just go out into the real world. They don't see one more year as making much of a difference and not worth the investment of time they will need to put in.

Basically I am saying I was just as guilty making the assumption the player was leaving due solely around their belief that they were talented enough to get drafted and make a team. That might not be the case with all of these guys. Some may be done playing college ball and willing to try and dip into that NFL money and if not, come back to finish their degree and move on.

Reactions: 82hoosier
There's always the CFL as a possibility but while I do think that he's a step slow he does run very hard

but still....WHAT IS HE THINKING?!?!? :)

43rd ranked LB. 7 rounds. Even at 5 LB's being drafted per round which is likely a large estimate, that's 35 possible LB's taken. No? Who knows. Either way, good luck to him!

There's always the CFL as a possibility but while I do think that he's a step slow he does run very hard

I always looked at him as sort of our enforcer on defense because he hit HARD. When RB's would hit a hole and be unlucky enough to find Marcus in that same hole..........they usually went staggering to the sideline asking to see what page that play was drawn up on. Ripping that page out of the play book and wadding it up. Then while staring the coach directly in the eyes he would stuck it in his mouth, chew it slowly and swallow. Coach knew not to call that play again.

Reactions: ESalum86

Also Arena League, Europe, and Australia you can make $50k+. Nothing compared to NFL money, but its still more than the typical recent college grad out in the real world

Best of luck to both of them but they're definitely gambling on themselves. Worked out for Latham.

Think we'll be ok at both positions but it would have been nice to have a Patrick/Redding 2-headed monster at RB.

Best of luck to both of them but they're definitely gambling on themselves. Worked out for Latham.

Think we'll be ok at both positions but it would have been nice to have a Patrick/Redding 2-headed monster at RB.

Oliver going pro can't be a good sign about Scales. That's what scares me. If we can keep Scales, we will keep the trains moving. He's the one that's going to be tough to replace.

This website stays on top of declarations pretty nicely.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...g-underclassmen-intentions-for-2017-nfl-draft

Reactions: BigRedFootballEd
Oliver going pro can't be a good sign about Scales. That's what scares me. If we can keep Scales, we will keep the trains moving. He's the one that's going to be tough to replace.

This website stays on top of declarations pretty nicely.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...g-underclassmen-intentions-for-2017-nfl-draft

Although, I think Scales could probably work his way up to being a 2nd/3rd round guy by staying another year. Redding/Oliver's stock I think was pretty much maxed out.

Although, I think Scales could probably work his way up to being a 2nd/3rd round guy by staying another year. Redding/Oliver's stock I think was pretty much maxed out.

This is a very valid point. I just think with our defense, he could really stick out and make a name for himself if he came back. Wouldn't blame him if he left though.

Latham did not get drafted because of character issues. If he had cleaned up his act and stayed healthy he would have probably made a lot more money by staying in school.

Reactions: muubell and DANC
It's a deep conversation each player has to consider. I know I was right in stating he shouldn't have gone based talent wise, Darius Latham was taking a VERY large gamble going pro. It ended paying off for him and that's fantastic but from a pure talent projection standpoint, he departed earlier than anyone expected or that he should have.

What I didn't consider last year was that some of these guys understand the amount of work it takes to prepare and be ready for the next season. It's one thing to be making money doing it but its another to just be playing college ball. Lots of guys are all about playing college ball and that's great but it's also not for everyone. Some just want to get out of dodge, try their darnedest to make a team and if not, eh, just go out into the real world. They don't see one more year as making much of a difference and not worth the investment of time they will need to put in.

Basically I am saying I was just as guilty making the assumption the player was leaving due solely around their belief that they were talented enough to get drafted and make a team. That might not be the case with all of these guys. Some may be done playing college ball and willing to try and dip into that NFL money and if not, come back to finish their degree and move on.
I doubt Latham cares much about your talent evaluation. He seems to be doing just fine.

Reactions: Bobsnotbucks
I think T. Scales, could put himself in the first round with solid showings against our 2017 schedule, and while I completely understand Oliver going now, I think he could have made himself some real $ by staying thru 2017.

Darius Latham signed as a free-agent 3 years and 1.6 million. Consequently he did not have a lot of bargaining power given that every team had passed on him seven times

Darius Latham signed as a free-agent 3 years and 1.6 million. Consequently he did not have a lot of bargaining power given that every team had passed on him seven times

And I think Lathams FA contract was the catalyst for Oliver & Reddings decisions.

Based solely on those #'s they made the correct short term decision.

A hig
He can easily come back and finish his degree. It's guaranteed under the bill of rights thing.
I remember seeing Isiah Thomas during the summer going to class. But, unfortunately, he is probably the exception. So many football players end up bankrupt anyways after their career is over. That degree is a piece of paper that basically says you finished something that you started. And that alone is worth something.

"Easily" depends on the player, his
prior academic career and his motivation.
Is the player short finishing just one or
two courses or is he short finishing
8 or 10 or 12 more courses to get a
degree?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
And I think Lathams FA contract was the catalyst for Oliver & Reddings decisions.

Based solely on those #'s they made the correct short term decision.

That's the standard contract for 3 years of minimum salary.

None guaranteed beyond a fairly small signing bonus.

Redding doesn't have the twitch or top speed to be appealing in the NFL. His best chance was to build a large body of work showing he is durable, makes good reads, and has good ball security. I don't think he has done that.

Latham plays on a good team that is thin at DT. He's going to get plenty of opportunities to be a starter. I like his potential.

You claim he left too early because he lacked the talent. He's obviously proving you wrong. Do you have a problem admitting that?

LOL Please, send me my post where I said he lacked the talent. I'll wait...

LOL Please, send me my post where I said he lacked the talent. I'll wait...
Your words:

"It's a deep conversation each player has to consider. I know I was right in stating he shouldn't have gone based talent wise, Darius Latham was taking a VERY large gamble going pro. It ended paying off for him and that's fantastic but from a pure talent projection standpoint, he departed earlier than anyone expected or that he should have."

Reactions: Bobsnotbucks
Your words:

"It's a deep conversation each player has to consider. I know I was right in stating he shouldn't have gone based talent wise, Darius Latham was taking a VERY large gamble going pro. It ended paying off for him and that's fantastic but from a pure talent projection standpoint, he departed earlier than anyone expected or that he should have."

I was referring to the talent he showed in college. Going pro when you're not expected to get drafted is a known bad decision IF you're not just wanting to get out of college and get on with it. If so, then who's to say whats a bad decision and whats not. When you're comparing statistical averages then there is a right and wrong move. It definitely paid off for him but not for most everyone else that tried the same thing. Based off the talent he showed in college, every nfl team that decided not to draft him agreed with me. End of story there..... next. He was not projected to do anything. I'm super stoked that he did. He gambled in himself and he at least broke even but....to pretend that I am wrong in saying he gambled is only fooling yourself.

I was referring to the talent he showed in college. Going pro when you're not expected to get drafted is a known bad decision IF you're not just wanting to get out of college and get on with it. If so, then who's to say whats a bad decision and whats not. When you're comparing statistical averages then there is a right and wrong move. It definitely paid off for him but not for most everyone else that tried the same thing. Based off the talent he showed in college, every nfl team that decided not to draft him agreed with me. End of story there..... next. He was not projected to do anything. I'm super stoked that he did. He gambled in himself and he at least broke even but....to pretend that I am wrong in saying he gambled is only fooling yourself.
He wasn't drafted in large part due to his off the field issues, not his perceived talent deficiencies. He was quickly gobbled up as an undrafted free agent not only because teams knew he could play but also because they knew they could get him without expending a valuable draft pick. Talent was never the issue. It was concerns about his character.

He wasn't drafted in large part due to his off the field issues, not his perceived talent deficiencies. He was quickly gobbled up as an undrafted free agent not only because teams knew he could play but also because they knew they could get him without expending a valuable draft pick. Talent was never the issue. It was concerns about his character.

Yeah, because the NFL has always been highly concerned with character issues......??!?!!?

Yeah, because the NFL has always been highly concerned with character issues......??!?!!?
Always? Clearly not. But more recently? Absolutely. The Roger Goodell NFL, combined with the kind of community involvement now typical of NFL teams, has pushed character issues to the front burner. Violence against women has been the hot button issue, but the blowback from situations like the Josh Brent / Jerry Brown tragedy have created an extremely negative profile that the league is addressing.

And for guys like Latham, who are trying to come into the league, multiple transgressions involving substance abuse are the best way for an otherwise talented player (at the toughest position to find able players) to go undrafted. That, not some perceived lack of talent, is why he went unclaimed in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT