ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis stock goes up

Former slave here, I believe I may be able to offer some unique insights.

I see we got idiots up above dredging up the 3/5 compromise malarkey again. The 3/5 C was a difficult, but necessary political bargain, without which, the southern states would have never agreed to join in a single union. No 3/5 C, no U.S. as we know it today. Art 1, Sect. 2 even went as far to refer to them as "other persons" and not slaves. Clearing stating that slaves were, in fact, people and laying more of the groundwork that would bring about the end of slavery.

Obviously the founders were heavily torn and often hypocritical on the issue of slavery, but being the genius' that they were, they littered Easter eggs throughout the founding documents that they knew/ hoped would one day bring about the end of slavery.

Large changes are incremental in nature. It's something our legislators today, especially the democrats, fail to understand. It took centuries for blacks to be equal in the eyes of the law due to the cultural and economic factors working against them. It will take centuries to move off fossil fuels, and morons in Washington passing multi-billion dollar spending bills wont do a thing to accelerate the process.

Around the beginning of the 21st century America had all but solved the race question. But then the reverse racism set in, largely launched by Obama's hugely cynical 2012 presidential campaign and carried on by the modern racists like Ibrham X Kendhi and Nikole Hannah jones. Beating these people back may take decades but let us remember they are not as entrenched as U.S. slavery or dependence on fossil fuels. Their ideology is largely rooted in forces we have defeated before, Marxism. If we act quickly we can smother the racist ideas of people like Obama, kendhi, Biden and Jones in the crib.

All this to say that Desantis is correct in stating the that United States was not unique in it's embrace of slavery, but rather one of the strongest historical forces that brought about it's demise in the West.
Each successive handle just gets stupider.

Lordy... things were just peachy, race-wise, until OBAMA came along. What a take...
Obama had the opportunity to answer the race question once and for all in America. He ruined it with his cynical, race-hustler politicking and set in motion the divisiveness we are experiencing today. The man on the campaign trail in 2008 is far different from the man on the trail in 2012. Frustrated and angry after losing congressional majorities he went into the deck for the race card, and we have not recovered since.

yjqhygxpbegosy0bswgsda.png

He must own his failure.

Obama had the opportunity to answer the race question once and for all in America. He ruined it with his cynical, race-hustler politicking and set in motion the divisiveness we are experiencing today. The man on the campaign trail in 2008 is far different from the man on the trail in 2012. Frustrated and angry after losing congressional majorities he went into the deck for the race card, and we have not recovered since.

yjqhygxpbegosy0bswgsda.png

He must own his failure.
The only thing he ever did to piss white people off was win.

The fact that he says the American Revolution was the reason people questioned slavery.

If that were the case, why the 3/5 compromise in the 14th amendment? That was put in the year 1787 I believe, four years after the war. The south did that so they would have more seats in the house.

How is that sparking reason to question slavery?
You have your history on the 3/5 compromise wrong.

You don't think the entire thing was a little odd? Flying migrants from Texas to Florida, telling them they were going to Boston where they would probably get work permits, and then flying them to Martha's Vinyard? Also spending $12 million in Florida taxpayers' dollars to do it?

It's extremely strange. And the governor of MA is a Republican, by the way.
Today, DeSantis is crowing that he was successful because, he says, no one was talking about immigration last week and now after he flew immigrants to Martha's Vineyard the whole country is now talking about immigration.

Think about that -- DeSantis is so noninfluential that the only way he could get the country talking about immigration was to pull a stunt.

What an impressive candidate.

Reactions: DrHoops
And give away phones. And break health care.
Helping poor folks communicate didn't originate with Obama, so even the credit (or shame) for this has to be shared according to this link which in part states,

The president [Obama] has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

Reactions: UncleMark
The Florida statute is irrelevant. If they were kidnapped, they were kidnapped in Texas. Since they were transported across state lines, federal criminal law might also apply.
And, once they took their "passengers" an inch or two across a state line of Massachusetts or New York and did not not release them 100% to freedom (either from force or deception), the kidnapping and confinement laws of Massachusetts and/or NY may also apply.

Multistate kidnapping/confinement is not a violation of only the original state.

I see we got idiots up above dredging up the 3/5 compromise malarkey again. The 3/5 C was a difficult, but necessary political bargain, without which, the southern states would have never agreed to join in a single union. No 3/5 C, no U.S. as we know it today. Art 1, Sect. 2 even went as far to refer to them as "other persons" and not slaves. Clearing stating that slaves were, in fact, people and laying more of the groundwork that would bring about the end of slavery.

Obviously the founders were heavily torn and often hypocritical on the issue of slavery, but being the genius' that they were, they littered Easter eggs throughout the founding documents that they knew/ hoped would one day bring about the end of slavery.

Large changes are incremental in nature. It's something our legislators today, especially the democrats, fail to understand. It took centuries for blacks to be equal in the eyes of the law due to the cultural and economic factors working against them. It will take centuries to move off fossil fuels, and morons in Washington passing multi-billion dollar spending bills wont do a thing to accelerate the process.

Around the beginning of the 21st century America had all but solved the race question. But then the reverse racism set in, largely launched by Obama's hugely cynical 2012 presidential campaign and carried on by the modern racists like Ibrham X Kendhi and Nikole Hannah jones. Beating these people back may take decades but let us remember they are not as entrenched as U.S. slavery or dependence on fossil fuels. Their ideology is largely rooted in forces we have defeated before, Marxism. If we act quickly we can smother the racist ideas of people like Obama, kendhi, Biden and Jones in the crib.

All this to say that Desantis is correct in stating the that United States was not unique in it's embrace of slavery, but rather one of the strongest historical forces that brought about it's demise in the West.

This is why what DeSantis is doing is dangerous.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and bub-rub
Maybe, it's been awhile since I was in a class.

What do I have wrong?
Without the compromise the southern slave holding states would have had more political power in the House. They wanted to count every slave as part of their population while not giving them any of the rights of citizenship. The Northern states said no because the South did not treat the slaves as actual people, they treated them as cattle. They came to the 3/5 compromise to allow somewhat for the fact that there were other people in the states who were not recognized as such by the states who housed them.

So the 3/5 Compromise is one of those deals that is objectively nasty looking. However, the Compromise actually decreased the political power of the slave holding states.

Taxes also were heavily in play which muddies the water even more.

Reactions: DANC
I'd humbly suggest that DeSantis seems to be advocating the teaching of history is a way that mirrors the teaching that he claims to revile. Teaching that tries to somehow suggest the perfection and purity of what the nation's founders did is no better than the teaching that suggests the evilness and wrongness of what the nation's founders did. Thoughtful teaching of history would engender the kind of conversations and different perspectives about a past that we don't know all the details about that you are engaging in here (and regularly engage in overall).

I don't get the sense from DeSantis that he's interested in that kind of teaching of history.
I doubt Florida will teach perfection and purity of the Founders. (Again, at backwards, rural Indiana school in the 1980s, I was not taught that, so I'm basically projecting my experience on Florida.)

Let me grant that all history taught at the K-12 level will involve oversimplification and a focus on certain aspects over others that helps tell a story. It can never be completely objective--on that the Left is correct. But as a general matter, don't you think that as a nation, it makes sense to use that focus to create something most people will think is worthy of defending and identifying with? We might call them myths, but sometimes myths are useful, if done carefully and thoughtfully.

I think focusing on the ideas that came out of the American Revolution and the Civil War gives us all (white, black, man, woman, immigrant, Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, etc.) something to aim at and be proud of. And then highlighting how those people didn't meet their written goals gives us something to work and focus on in the present. Personally, I'm much less concerned with lionizing people and affirmatively do NOT want to lionize politicians (although Lincoln might deserve it).

If your answer is yes, I think we (and Desantis, at least going on that one clip) would only disagree on the margins with how that story is told.

Many say that the founding fathers were a collection of some of the most brilliant political minds in world history. What are the odds, all of them, together, at the same time and place in history? Pulling from Christianity, Athens, Rome, British Common law, the Enlightenment such a broad array of theorists, documents, concepts, and institutions used to create the greatest political system ever formed.

Today we have a similar set of political leaders, an American political renaissance if you will.

Trump, DeSantis, Gaetz, Gosar, McConnell, these are the minds that will ensure this great American experiment survives and thrives for centuries to come in the face of an existential Marxist threat that is more well known as todays Democratic party.

Last edited:
I doubt Florida will teach perfection and purity of the Founders. (Again, at backwards, rural Indiana school in the 1980s, I was not taught that, so I'm basically projecting my experience on Florida.)

Let me grant that all history taught at the K-12 level will involve oversimplification and a focus on certain aspects over others that helps tell a story. It can never be completely objective--on that the Left is correct. But as a general matter, don't you think that as a nation, it makes sense to use that focus to create something most people will think is worthy of defending and identifying with? We might call them myths, but sometimes myths are useful, if done carefully and thoughtfully.

I think focusing on the ideas that came out of the American Revolution and the Civil War gives us all (white, black, man, woman, immigrant, Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, etc.) something to aim at and be proud of. And then highlighting how those people didn't meet their written goals gives us something to work and focus on in the present. Personally, I'm much less concerned with lionizing people and affirmatively do NOT want to lionize politicians (although Lincoln might deserve it).

If your answer is yes, I think we (and Desantis, at least going on that one clip) would only disagree on the margins with how that story is told.
Co-sign. Well said.

Trump, DeSantis, Gaetz, Gosar, McConnell, these are the minds that will ensure this great American experiment survives and thrives for centuries to come
Lordy...you forgot Boebert, MTG, and Hershel Walker

Why just go 90% of the way to batshit craziness? Finish the task!

Reactions: cosmickid
Why is The Call of The Wild banned? Seems ridiculous.
Song of Solomon was banned, too. (Spoiler for Republicans: It's part of the Old Testament.)

Can't you see DeSantis, Abbott, Gaetz, MTG, Boebert, Gohmert, Hawley etc. running to their local libraries with boxcutters to slice the Song of Solomon from vintage copies of the Holy Bible that have been in their smalltown Republican Carnegie libraries for decades?

It is really easy to look stupid banning books from libraries to protect children when you don't know that today's children don't really read much that is printed on paper.

Vote Republican 2024 !! Protect individual rights !!

Myths should not be taught as history.

History should be taught as history, just like it happened, no matter what it makes anyone look like.

Then why couldn't he corral enough immigrants in Florida to fill the plane? My guess is his state's employers (eg, agriculture) needed those who were there. You should add Desantis to your list of government liars.
Maybe DeSantis didn't want more passengers, even though he surely could have found more such passengers in the Texas immigration centers.

Last week, I researched fed regulations for luggage screening etc. and learned that the TSA security restrictions for charter flights within the US are not much of anything if the aircraft is under a certain weight or holds fewer than about 70 passengers.

So, DeSantis apparently transported immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts on an airplane with fewer security checks than American citizens would have experienced if they flew commercial from Texas to Madsachusetts.

Vote Republican 2024!! Protect our rights!!

I think it's interesting that you doubt the teaching of myths in Florida in paragraph 1 and then endorse teaching myths in paragraph 2.

But I do agree with the idea that the disagreement is mostly about the degrees to which different ideas are taught. Towards that end, I don't think it makes sense to create a myth around which most people think is worthy of defending and identifying with. One thing I think history has definitely taught us is the danger of just that.

Without the compromise the southern slave holding states would have had more political power in the House. They wanted to count every slave as part of their population while not giving them any of the rights of citizenship. The Northern states said no because the South did not treat the slaves as actual people, they treated them as cattle. They came to the 3/5 compromise to allow somewhat for the fact that there were other people in the states who were not recognized as such by the states who housed them.

So the 3/5 Compromise is one of those deals that is objectively nasty looking. However, the Compromise actually decreased the political power of the slave holding states.

Taxes also were heavily in play which muddies the water even more.

Your first sentence is false.

The north would have held the political power had it not been for the compromise. The south wanted slaves to be counted fully in their population since that's how delegates and electoral college votes were determined back then. The north wasn't going to let that happen so the compromise happened. The south didn't do the compromise to give up their power they eventually got, winning 8 of the first 9 presidential elections (all from Virginia, which was a slave owned state).

Yep I agree that was an overstatement. His point that the Declaration of Independence kicked off a series of ideas that led to slavery ending in the world is something a lot of historians have supported, though, as a continuation of Enlightenment ideals. Im sure you’ll agree that Florida will not teach that no one ever questioned slavery prior to 1776?

Is that the only criticism or do you have more?
In the teacher training they stress that the US only had 4% of the transatlantic slave trade, and imply that it had something to do with moral considerations from US slaveholders.

A much more plausible and likely reason (imho) is that US slaveholders were terrified of the Haitian revolution, and the idea of huge groups of big Black men running around seeking revenge. So they adopted the concept of "chattel bondage" figuring if you focused on people being born into slavery and tamed them from birth they'd be a lot easier to manage and control.
Lordy...you forgot Boebert, MTG, and Hershel Walker

Why just go 90% of the way to batshit craziness? Finish the task!
Goat hinted that this is an alias for someone who has posted previously, but I'm not proficient enough to discover who it is. Sounds a lot like Mas- am I on the right track?

Many say that the founding fathers were a collection of some of the most brilliant political minds in world history. What are the odds, all of them, together, at the same time and place in history? Pulling from Christianity, Athens, Rome, British Common law, the Enlightenment such a broad array of theorists, documents, concepts, and institutions used to create the greatest political system ever formed.

Today we have a similar set of political leaders, an American political renaissance if you will.

Trump, DeSantis, Gaetz, Gosar, McConnell, these are the minds that will ensure this great American experiment survives and thrives for centuries to come in the face of an existential Marxist threat that is more well known as todays Democratic party.
Good one, Lucy!

Reactions: Lucy01
The only thing he ever did to piss white people off was win.

he totally f'd over the working class, and showered riches on the investor class, after posing as doing the opposite.

that's where Bernie got his power, which Trump then co-opted after the Wall St owned DNC, and their media, declared war on Bernie to make sure he didn't win in 16 or 20.

the DNC, MSNBC, and CNN, declaring war on Bernie, and what he stood for, in 16 to make sure he wasn't the nominee and bought and paid for Hilary was, is what lead to Trump winning in 16, and everything that has transpired since.

that said, Dems don't like being confronted with uncomfortable truths, any more than Pubs do.

thus they both pretend and swear they aren't so.

I'd humbly suggest that DeSantis seems to be advocating the teaching of history is a way that mirrors the teaching that he claims to revile. Teaching that tries to somehow suggest the perfection and purity of what the nation's founders did is no better than the teaching that suggests the evilness and wrongness of what the nation's founders did. Thoughtful teaching of history would engender the kind of conversations and different perspectives about a past that we don't know all the details about that you are engaging in here (and regularly engage in overall).

I don't get the sense from DeSantis that he's interested in that kind of teaching of history.
Strongly disagree.

The history of a country includes a history of its collective values. Slavery has never been a universal value of the United States. . Abolition and emancipation began with the debate over the Declaration and it never ended until we fought the Civil War. Notwithstanding bumps along the way, our march towards equality and civil rights has been unmistakable and consistent.

Yeah, slavery and racism is part of our history and it should be taught as history. Lately it is being taught along side the significant good things the United Sates has done for itself and done for the world. That negativity is not a way to build and maintain a culture or country.

This is not without consequence, by emphasizing our “original sin,” our failure to “live up to the ideals of the Declaration,” or our warts, robs youngsters of believing in the goodness of our traditions. Our good does not always need to be diminished by our bad just cuz bad is “history”. We are engaged in a self-fulfilling prophecy of being a racist country. No, not all whites are racist. Black kids should not wake up and leave their home every day believing that whites hate them and cops intend to kill them.

This trend must be reversed. DeSantis has it right.

Strongly disagree.

The history of a country includes a history of its collective values. Slavery has never been a universal value of the United States. . Abolition and emancipation began with the debate over the Declaration and it never ended until we fought the Civil War. Notwithstanding bumps along the way, our march towards equality and civil rights has been unmistakable and consistent.

Yeah, slavery and racism is part of our history and it should be taught as history. Lately it is being taught along side the significant good things the United Sates has done for itself and done for the world. That negativity is not a way to build and maintain a culture or country.

This is not without consequence, by emphasizing our “original sin,” our failure to “live up to the ideals of the Declaration,” or our warts, robs youngsters of believing in the goodness of our traditions. Our good does not always need to be diminished by our bad just cuz bad is “history”. We are engaged in a self-fulfilling prophecy of being a racist country. No, not all whites are racist. Black kids should not wake up and leave their home every day believing that whites hate them and cops intend to kill them.

Wherein CO.H laments that we are failing to brainwash our children.

The fact that he says the American Revolution was the reason people questioned slavery.

If that were the case, why the 3/5 compromise in the 14th amendment? That was put in the year 1787 I believe, four years after the war. The south did that so they would have more seats in the house.

How is that sparking reason to question slavery?
Maybe you should read some history and see the discussion about slavery that was had in the Constitutional Convention.

Maybe you should read some history and see the discussion about slavery that was had in the Constitutional Convention.

So the south didn't want to include slaves in their population to get more seats in the house and delegate votes for president?

Is that not the reason why?

• Angry
I think it's interesting that you doubt the teaching of myths in Florida in paragraph 1 and then endorse teaching myths in paragraph 2.

But I do agree with the idea that the disagreement is mostly about the degrees to which different ideas are taught. Towards that end, I don't think it makes sense to create a myth around which most people think is worthy of defending and identifying with. One thing I think history has definitely taught us is the danger of just that.
I doubt the teaching of THAT myth. It’s an empirical question. All we have to do is look at the textbooks to see if Florida teaches the Founders were perfect.

Care to wager?

Seriously, though, I doubt we are far apart on this issue. If we were drinking bourbon together right now, I dare say, we’d be in almost complete agreement.

Wherein CO.H laments that we are failing to brainwash our children.

Applying the word “brainwashing” to my point is the problem. We are talking about the content of common beliefs. If we can’t look at where we come from, or what we have done, with a common sense of pride; we got nuthin. We end up with divisiveness, tribes, and conflict. That isn’t sustainable as we are finding out.

Reactions: snarlcakes and DANC
Strongly disagree.

owning and enslaving other human beings for the selfish self gain of the enslaver, massively trumps any otherwise positive traits said slave owner may have possessed.

Hitler no doubt had good ideas as well.

teaching truth is always the best way.

that said, blacks need to tell both sides too.

i don't ever see black leaders glorifying the whites who fought and died to free them.

and no doubt some of said blacks wouldn't walk across the street to help another white person in need..

white total aholes need to be portrayed in history as white total aholes, first and foremost.

whites who should be glorified for leaving their homes and families and fighting to the death to free people they'd never met, should be glorified by the blacks they freed and their ancestors. not lumped in with the ahole whites.

what reparations do free blacks owe whites who freed them, many of whom lost their lives doing so?

blacks who can't see the difference in different whites, nor acknowledge it, need to be called out for being racists as well.

whites are all different people.

as are blacks.

both sides need to stop lumping or treating the other as is they were just a group.

most do so now on both sides.

but those on both sides who don't, always seem to have the podium.

the owners of the podium, the media, are 100% to blame for that.

they keep both sides fighting each other, and always have.

in their eyes, far better than the working classes uniting against their shared overlords.

Strongly disagree.

And people wonder why the GOP has a minority problem... :rolleyes:

So the south didn't want to include slaves in their population to get more seats in the house and delegate votes for president?

Is that not the reason why?
Crazy explained it to you above. If you're too thick to understand, I certainly can't help you.

And people wonder why the GOP has a minority problem... :rolleyes:
I don't wonder why. I know how the Democrats use blacks for votes. And it isn’t the GOP’s fault that blacks aren’t educated or black kids are shooting each other, stealing converters, or engaging in smash and grabs.

• Love
Reactions: BigDoggyDog
owning and enslaving other human beings for the selfish self gain of the enslaver, massively trumps any otherwise positive traits said slave owner may have possessed.

Hitler no doubt had good ideas as well.

teaching truth is always the best way.

that said, blacks need to tell both sides too.

i don't ever see black leaders glorifying the whites who fought and died to free them.

and no doubt some of said blacks wouldn't walk across the street to help another white person in need..

white total aholes need to be portrayed in history as white total aholes, first and foremost.

whites who should be glorified for leaving their homes and families and fighting to the death to free people they'd never met, should be glorified by the blacks they freed and their ancestors. not lumped in with the ahole whites.

what reparations do free blacks owe whites who freed them, many of whom lost their lives doing so?

blacks who can't see the difference in different whites, nor acknowledge it, need to be called out for being racists as well.

whites are all different people.

as are blacks.

both sides need to stop lumping or treating the other as is they were just a group.

most do so now on both sides.

but those on both sides who don't, always seem to have the podium.

the owners of the podium, the media, are 100% to blame for that.

they keep both sides fighting each other, and always have.

in their eyes, far better than the working classes uniting against their shared overlords.
Yep.

Good thing slavery is history. I wish we would teach it that way.

Your first sentence is false.
No, it is 100% correct and you explain why below.
The north would have held the political power had it not been for the compromise.
And the South would not have agreed to not have them counted at all. There would have been no agreement without the compromise. The North also had tax reasons for wanting to count them.
The south wanted slaves to be counted fully in their population since that's how delegates and electoral college votes were determined back then. The north wasn't going to let that happen so the compromise happened. The south didn't do the compromise to give up their power
You mostly have what happened here but you came to the wrong conclusion. The North entered the compromise because it kept the Southern states from having all the political power they would have had if every slave was counted as a whole. The South agreed because they got a break on taxes owed by not counting as a whole.
they eventually got, winning 8 of the first 9 presidential elections (all from Virginia, which was a slave owned state).
And that was with only counting 60% of their slave population. Imagine it at 100%.

I see we got idiots up above dredging up the 3/5 compromise malarkey again. The 3/5 C was a difficult, but necessary political bargain, without which, the southern states would have never agreed to join in a single union. No 3/5 C, no U.S. as we know it today. Art 1, Sect. 2 even went as far to refer to them as "other persons" and not slaves. Clearly stating that slaves were, in fact, people and laying more of the groundwork that would bring about the end of slavery.

You’re off to a flaming start here BigDoggy. Way to go.

Reactions: DrHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT