ADVERTISEMENT

Depth on OL?

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
how are we looking for depth on the offensive line? Anyone have a two or three deep depth chart?
Hate to se Frey go, especially to "that team" in Ann Arbor.

They're going to be very thin in overall numbers and experience.
I guess in experience, ok, but how are we "very thin" in terms of bodies? How many scholarship OL do you want us to have?[/
Experience wise, we have Cronk and Martin returning as starters on the left side of the line. We will also have Brandon Knight back at right tackle, where he started last year in a few games after Camiel went down with injury. We have a good quantity of OL scholarship players returning. I feel that we need to get three or four a year, and if our commits hold, we will have four this year.

Reactions: RBB89
how are we looking for depth on the offensive line? Anyone have a two or three deep depth chart?
Hate to se Frey go, especially to "that team" in Ann Arbor.
giphy.gif

Are you serious?

Read on someone's IU fan site (this one ??) that we were considering moving Knight to Center (from Right Tackle).

If it happens (the move to C) and he plays well at that slot, he may well have bumped his NFL draft status up a full round or two... A true utility man who can play at a high level in multiple postions along the OL..,

In his first three years he will have played TE, LT, RT and now C.

Moving Knight to C (if the move works) would solidify C, LG, & LT; thus leaving just the right side of the line as question marks (and Stepaniak looks like a potential full time starter at Right Guard) with Delroy Baker a potential starter at Right Tackle (hopefully the light bulb will turn on for him the way it did for Camiel...).

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
I guess in experience, ok, but how are we "very thin" in terms of bodies? How many scholarship OL do you want us to have?
If you count Tyler Knight, who just enrolled, they only have 10 offensive linemen on campus, and half of them have not played at all, as far as I'm aware. Most teams want to go three deep across the front, and they'll want to start the season with more than a third of them having actually played in games. That's very thin by any standard. Not sure how you could see it otherwise.

Very serious. Check out the roster and the relative experience of the returnees. It's light.
That's what I thought. We could really use another OL. One who could help immediately, imho.
The 4 star OT from Columbus would be nice, or a judo for some depth. Seems like our running game
Might need a couple more big bodies.

If you count Tyler Knight, who just enrolled, they only have 10 offensive linemen on campus, and half of them have not played at all, as far as I'm aware. Most teams want to go three deep across the front, and they'll want to start the season with more than a third of them having actually played in games. That's very thin by any standard. Not sure how you could see it otherwise.

I count 11 including Ryan Smith who was a greyshirt last year, will be 13 in the fall with Crider and Jones. If JaMerez Bowen is still around , I wonder if they don't consider moving him back to offense. He transferred in from UC and they moved him to D, but he only saw the field early in the year, and not much, that I recall.
It is a group that is surely not experienced, our new OL coach will need to earn his check without a doubt.

I count 11 including Ryan Smith who was a greyshirt last year, will be 13 in the fall with Crider and Jones. If JaMerez Bowen is still around , I wonder if they don't consider moving him back to offense. He transferred in from UC and they moved him to D, but he only saw the field early in the year, and not much, that I recall.
It is a group that is surely not experienced, our new OL coach will need to earn his check without a doubt.
Frey got out while the gettin' was good.

I think we'll miss Frey's recruiting more than his coaching. Just my opinion.

Moving Knight to C (if the move works) would solidify C, LG, & LT; thus leaving just the right side of the line as question marks (and Stepaniak looks like a potential full time starter at Right Guard) with Delroy Baker a potential starter at Right Tackle (hopefully the light bulb will turn on for him the way it did for Camiel...).
I hope that Delroy Baker can have a breakthrough year for us! This will be his RS junior season, and that is when the light often clicks for the big guys. When he got here, he was lauded for his athleticism and potential. The barrier he has had to overcome is that he had a leg injury that shortened most of his junior season, then he transferred schools for his senior year and the FL Athletics Association said the circumstances of this transfer would mean he was ineligible to play his senior season. So he came to us with not much PT in high school, then redshirted here, and was still catching up in his second year. This past season, we finally got to see him earn PT and begin to emerge. What I have noticed about Baker on the sidelines is that even when not playing this season and last, he has always been waving his arms enthusiastically to support his teammates. Keeping a positive attitude is a sign of a kid who cares. I hope he makes a big impression on his new coach and earns a starting job.

I hope that Delroy Baker can have a breakthrough year for us! This will be his RS junior season, and that is when the light often clicks for the big guys. When he got here, he was lauded for his athleticism and potential. The barrier he has had to overcome is that he had a leg injury that shortened most of his junior season, then he transferred schools for his senior year and the FL Athletics Association said the circumstances of this transfer would mean he was ineligible to play his senior season. So he came to us with not much PT in high school, then redshirted here, and was still catching up in his second year. This past season, we finally got to see him earn PT and begin to emerge. What I have noticed about Baker on the sidelines is that even when not playing this season and last, he has always been waving his arms enthusiastically to support his teammates. Keeping a positive attitude is a sign of a kid who cares. I hope he makes a big impression on his new coach and earns a starting job.
Delroy was HIGHLY recruited. The potential is definitely there.

And he does seem to be a great kid.

Reactions: 10yrProject
OL who did not complete eligibility:

Nworah, Mackenzie OL 6-4 320
Love, DaVondre OL 6-7 315
Cronk, Coy OL 6-5 293
Stover, Grayson OL 6-6 300
Trainor, Jack OL 6-2 315
Ramacca, Nick OL 6-2 287
Knight, Brandon OL 6-5 297
Littlejohn, Hunter OL 6-3 300
Baker, Delroy OL 6-6 305
Stepaniak, Simon OL 6-4 305
Martin, Wes OL 6-3 310

Already in school:
Ryan Smith OL Cincinnati, OH 6'5" 280
Tyler Knight OL St. Petersburg, FL 6'4" 275

Committed:
Caleb Jones OL Indianapolis, IN 6'9" 320
Harry Crider OL Columbus, IN 6'4" 250

OL who did not complete eligibility:

Nworah, Mackenzie OL 6-4 320
Love, DaVondre OL 6-7 315
Cronk, Coy OL 6-5 293
Stover, Grayson OL 6-6 300
Trainor, Jack OL 6-2 315
Ramacca, Nick OL 6-2 287
Knight, Brandon OL 6-5 297
Littlejohn, Hunter OL 6-3 300
Baker, Delroy OL 6-6 305
Stepaniak, Simon OL 6-4 305
Martin, Wes OL 6-3 310

Already in school:
Ryan Smith OL Cincinnati, OH 6'5" 280
Tyler Knight OL St. Petersburg, FL 6'4" 275

Committed:
Caleb Jones OL Indianapolis, IN 6'9" 320
Harry Crider OL Columbus, IN 6'4" 250
Combined with a new position coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new head coach, it's a little scary, isn't it?

Frey got out while the gettin' was good.

I think we'll miss Frey's recruiting more than his coaching. Just my opinion.
Combined with a new position coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new head coach, it's a little scary, isn't it?

Well, I certainly have ZERO feel for how we will be.
Our '15 and '16 lines were superior.
Our '17 line has unproven talent.

Probably need to add in "new offense" too.
Might be "like" Wilson/Johns, but won't be the "same."

The Spring Game will be a Revelation.

One positive that many either have forgotten, or were unaware of, is that Debord's coaching background is primarily with the OL & TE over the long haul.

Add another highly thought of OL coach to his (Debords) expertise with this next hire and I'm confident we will be fine coaching-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Well, I certainly have ZERO feel for how we will be.
Our '15 and '16 lines were superior.
Our '17 line has unproven talent.

Probably need to add in "new offense" too.
Might be "like" Wilson/Johns, but won't be the "same."

The Spring Game will be a Revelation.
Hope they have enough healthy bodies to practice 2 deep in the spring. It will be close.

Hope they have enough healthy bodies to practice 2 deep in the spring. It will be close.
I see that as a positive.

Spring Practice is all about getting reps. In this case (if your scenario is correct), the two deep won't have to worry about losing any reps to the 3rd guys.

As our newest addition to the punter roster might say: "No worries mate".

I see that as a positive.

Spring Practice is all about getting reps. In this case (if your scenario is correct), the two deep won't have to worry about losing any reps to the 3rd guys.

As our newest addition to the punter roster might say: "No worries mate".
That's great as long as there are enough healthy guys to fill out the 2 deeps, which I think will be a big issue.

Not really. Our LT and LG started every game....they will be the anchor. We need to find a Center and a RT. I think Stepniak won RG in practices leading up to and then the bowl game. Very solid performance from him.

Here's my starting Lineup:
LT-Cronk
LG-Martin
Center-Knight
RG-Stepniak
RT-Baker

All of them started at least one game last season. So not horribly raw, though this group hasn't played together much.

As for back ups:

Tackles: Love, Stover, Knight, Jones (verbal)
Interior: Nworah, Littlejohn, Smith, Crider (verbal)

So 8 more guys as back ups. I would agree on somewhat low numbers. Really want 10 back ups, which we do get with walk ons.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Not really. Our LT and LG started every game....they will be the anchor. We need to find a Center and a RT. I think Stepniak won RG in practices leading up to and then the bowl game. Very solid performance from him.

Here's my starting Lineup:
LT-Cronk
LG-Martin
Center-Knight
RG-Stepniak
RT-Baker

All of them started at least one game last season. So not horribly raw, though this group hasn't played together much.

As for back ups:

Tackles: Love, Stover, Knight, Jones (verbal)
Interior: Nworah, Littlejohn, Smith, Crider (verbal)

So 8 more guys as back ups. I would agree on somewhat low numbers. Really want 10 back ups, which we do get with walk ons.
Like I said, scary on numbers, especially after the injury bug this last year, and scarier on experience. Don't know how talented any of them are, but only Cronk and Knight have been able to show much so far.

Like I said, scary on numbers, especially after the injury bug this last year, and scarier on experience. Don't know how talented any of them are, but only Cronk and Knight have been able to show much so far.
Scary numbers? There are 15 on the roster! Only 5 can play at a time last I checked. Many were highly rated recruits such as Baker, Nworah, Stover, etc. and will have a year of college under their belts. Plus - you have TEs Dorris and Friend who are essentially OL masquerading as TE's. Martin was All-Freshman too if I recall correctly.

Scary numbers? There are 15 on the roster! Only 5 can play at a time last I checked. Many were highly rated recruits such as Baker, Nworah, Stover, etc. and will have a year of college under their belts. Plus - you have TEs Dorris and Friend who are essentially OL masquerading as TE's. Martin was All-Freshman too if I recall correctly.
Yeah I have no idea where the "scary" stuff is coming from. We're never going to have 25 OL.

Of the 15, only about a third will have any playing time. Youth, inexperience and unknown at best talent level. That plus the wholesale coaching changes make it a big area of concern.

Obviously never said there would be 25 on the roster but the numbers and experience are low. Lol

15 or 16 is typical for BT schools. Unless they pick up more commits before signing day, Iowa will have 15 and MSU will have 16.

Experience is certainly low, but numbers are not.

15 or 16 is typical for BT schools. Unless they pick up more commits before signing day, Iowa will have 15 and MSU will have 16.

Experience is certainly low, but numbers are not.
Ten scholarship linemen for the spring is low, and only 5 with game experience is really low. Plus Iowa and MSU are probably a few notches above IU in talent. Should be interesting as most other positions are pretty deep.

Ten scholarship linemen for the spring is low, and only 5 with game experience is really low. Plus Iowa and MSU are probably a few notches above IU in talent. Should be interesting as most other positions are pretty deep.
Me thinks you worry to much. The cycle of life (and college) dictates that players only get 5/4 years - graduation is inevitable my friend. Not saying we will have the 7 blocks of limestone, but there is talent - and depth. Don't discount the contributions of walk-ons either.

Me thinks you worry to much. The cycle of life (and college) dictates that players only get 5/4 years - graduation is inevitable my friend. Not saying we will have the 7 blocks of limestone, but there is talent - and depth. Don't discount the contributions of walk-ons either.
Maybe, but the combination of reduced talent, lower experience and numbers and new offensive coaches seems like a big hill to climb.

Change "might" to "will"! In Coach Allen, we trust!
Ryan Smith is a greyshirt. What does that mean? Is he a R9 ? In the 2016 class was a three star lineman
Out of Ohio powerhouse Cinn. Moeller. At 6' 5". 280. Looks like a quality lineman who can seriously help.
Anyone have any update on Ryan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT