ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

Of course I'm thrilled we won but we damn near gave this game away. Purdue couldn't run the football all year - - until today. CTA needs to carefully review the defensive coaching staff during the off-season, starting with the DC.
Need to shore up some things on defense but not sure how Purdue hasnt been able to run the ball, that Horvach dude looks like Gronk out there running the ball.

Need to shore up some things on defense but not sure how Purdue hasnt been able to run the ball, that Horvach dude looks like Gronk out there running the ball.
We still seem to have a knack for bringing out the best in opposing offenses.

Of course I'm thrilled we won but we damn near gave this game away. Purdue couldn't run the football all year - - until today. CTA needs to carefully review the defensive coaching staff during the off-season, starting with the DC.
for a 4-2-5 to work consistently you need really good play from the safeties, and it looks to me like recruiting (& coaching) needs to improve in that area

Reactions: kobis18
I’m not one to point fingers at my own team. BUT, I played against Horvath back in high school when he was at Marian and I thought the same thing about him then. His neck was literally as thick as the linemen’s thighs
Dumb jock you can't even spell boiler.

Reactions: Lifetimebooler1

Agreed. The team is more resilient than I’ve seen in awhile, and more talented, but the defense is atrocious. The stats are more of a factor of schedule than reality. And the team is undisciplined and highly penalized (that’s on CTA). Wommack isn’t ready for this stage.

Agreed. The team is more resilient than I’ve seen in awhile, and more talented, but the defense is atrocious. The stats are more of a factor of schedule than reality. And the team is undisciplined and highly penalized (that’s on CTA). Wommack isn’t ready for this stage.
Does CTA give him 1 more year to grow into the job? I think he does.

Does CTA have to worry about offense next year? No

Does CTA have to worry about special teams next year? A little.

Does CTA have to worry about defense next year? This is where he spends most of his "extra time".

TomT

This whole thread is ridiculous. The defense has played well this year. They played poorly against OSU,but who has not. They played bad today and Michigan game. The holding penalties on secondary are bad. Part of the secondary issues are lack of a pass rush.

This whole thread is ridiculous. The defense has played well this year. They played poorly against OSU,but who has not. They played bad today and Michigan game. The holding penalties on secondary are bad. Part of the secondary issues are lack of a pass rush.
The defense has had its moments and games, but if you think we've consistently displayed a stout defense this season, we must not be talking about the same team. The defense cost us a W against a weak Michigan State team, it almost cost us against Nebraska (including two stupid personal fouls that gave Nebraska 30 yards on their final TD drive), it disappeared in the second half against Michigan, and it allowed Purdue to gash us on the ground today - - something they haven't been able to do all season. I saw plenty of missed tackles today and a stupid facemask penalty (causing the helmet to come off) that could have cost us big time.

The defense has had its moments and games, but if you think we've consistently displayed a stout defense this season, we must not be talking about the same team. The defense cost us a W against a weak Michigan State team, it almost cost us against Nebraska (including two stupid personal fouls that gave Nebraska 30 yards on their final TD drive), it disappeared in the second half against Michigan, and it allowed Purdue to gash us on the ground today - - something they haven't been able to do all season. I saw plenty of missed tackles today and a stupid facemask penalty (causing the helmet to come off) that could have cost us big time.
Yes the face mask was as announcer said was being too aggressive instead of breaking down and making the sure tackle. Yes the last 2 weeks have not been stellar.

Does CTA give him 1 more year to grow into the job? I think he does.

Does CTA have to worry about offense next year? No

Does CTA have to worry about special teams next year? A little.

Does CTA have to worry about defense next year? This is where he spends most of his "extra time".

TomT

if I’m CTA, no, I don’t give him a year to grow. His unit was an embarrassment. He gets a swift demotion and big money hire; you don’t develop and experiment at this level - it was a bad hire. Period. Offense and special teams are respectable enough right now (that’s not a slight, offense is adaptable and great.)

if I’m CTA, no, I don’t give him a year to grow. His unit was an embarrassment. He gets a swift demotion and big money hire; you don’t develop and experiment at this level - it was a bad hire. Period. Offense and special teams are respectable enough right now (that’s not a slight, offense is adaptable and great.)
Maybe it is a good thing you are not CTA.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
The nice thing about an 8 - maybe 9 - win season is that perhaps some good DC candidates out there might be interested...should that position open up at IU this offseason...

This is why it's so crucial to win ALL the games you're supposed to win. Winning - no matter the competition - brings all sorts of good things. You get recruit's attention, coaching staff's attention, bowl committee's attention, bandwagon fan's attention, etc. Winning is the cure-all. We won the games we were supposed to this year. Now we profit.

I would be interested in someone’s experienced opinion of how Horvath did what he did today. He just had the game of a life? Expert OC planning? Bad Dc prep?

coming into this game IU's defense in the B1G was

9th in scoring defense
9th in total defense
9th in rush defense
8th in pass defense
11th in pass defense efficiency

after a game like today's I doubt if those numbers improved

Reactions: goody1986
We need an actual DC. Not a HC/DC, not a grad assistant DC, an actual $800,000 DC.
Never thought of it that way.

Just do not see CTA pulling the trigger that quick.

An example is how CTA was going to put Campbell in after 2 missed FG's but gave Logan a 3rd try.

I see Allen giving Wommack a choice of either giving Allen some control or being shown the door.

Allen wants Wommack to succeed.

TomT

Never thought of it that way.

Just do not see CTA pulling the trigger that quick.

An example is how CTA was going to put Campbell in after 2 missed FG's but gave Logan a 3rd try.

I see Allen giving Wommack a choice of either giving Allen some control or being shown the door.

Allen wants Wommack to succeed.

TomT

I'm sure he would like Wommack to succeed. I'm guessing he would have liked Debord to succeed. If Wommack is the answer I think we would have seen improvement as the season went along. Do you think there was?

Reactions: goody1986
You get one year?
As an unproven coordinator in the B1G? The unit was awful all year, yes.

*edited as I think more* there is no scenario in which I see Wommack as a D coordinator at any P5 program but indiana in the next 3-5 years. That’s my answer.

Last edited:
I’m not one to point fingers at my own team. BUT, I played against Horvath back in high school when he was at Marian and I thought the same thing about him then. His neck was literally as thick as the linemen’s thighs
I played at Mishawaka and still follow the area with my dad (93 years old and an IU grad) who lives in Osceola.. Neither of us remember him talked about that much but he had over 3,300 yards. We are both kind of scratching our heads..

I would disagree that there was improvement throughout the year. We had two shutouts another game just gave up 3 points. Tackling was a issue in the first game it steadily improved. We at one time moved up the #24 defense in the nation. We made key stops in games that we have lost in the past.
Yes today was bad day defensively but look at Alabama are they going to fire their defensive coordinator they made Bo Nix look good. Yes there is improvement needs to be made but made but you need to give aguymore than one year. Besides go ahead and tell me another guy that Russia’s a4-2-5. Which is what CTA wants to run.

Reactions: TominDallas
I would disagree that there was improvement throughout the year. We had two shutouts another game just gave up 3 points. Tackling was a issue in the first game it steadily improved. We at one time moved up the #24 defense in the nation. We made key stops in games that we have lost in the past.
Yes today was bad day defensively but look at Alabama are they going to fire their defensive coordinator they made Bo Nix look good. Yes there is improvement needs to be made but made but you need to give aguymore than one year. Besides go ahead and tell me another guy that Russia’s a4-2-5. Which is what CTA wants to run.

Defense was one of the worst in the country against teams playing at a level above Rutgers. No one cares if you win 50-20 or 50-0. The Rutgers type games seriously skewed the stats. Against anyone with 2 legs, this D flat out stunk. We win 10 games with a D that's even mediocre.

And in crunch time, they couldn't get stops to save their life. Sayonara to the current guy. Wish him well. We need a Deboer upgrade. The difference between last year and this on offense was palpable. Need the same thing on D and Rose bowl is possible.

Defense was one of the worst in the country against teams playing at a level above Rutgers. No one cares if you win 50-20 or 50-0. The Rutgers type games seriously skewed the stats. Against anyone with 2 legs, this D flat out stunk. We win 10 games with a D that's even mediocre.

And in crunch time, they couldn't get stops to save their life. Sayonara to the current guy. Wish him well. We need a Deboer upgrade. The difference between last year and this on offense was palpable. Need the same thing on D and Rose bowl is possible.
Well I can argue that DeBoer made many bone head calls throughout the season including today. Why abandon the rum game when we were still moving the ball. Then you tried to go back to it and it was done. How many times did we go to empty set on first down after several successful run plays. How many times did we try to run jet sweep on 4 th down? Why did we get away from short ball control passes when we needed to get first downs and eat clock? Why did we we run the little toss play early and never come back to it? What took so long to keep people in to help protect Ramsey? DeBoer has been great this year but he has had some real advantages this year. They have been relatively healthy minus Cronkite and until lately. He has only had to play without Philyor one game this year. Whereas Philyor has missed games and played injured the last couple of seasons. He has a running back who had the benefit of a full season of starts last year. He has a tight end who had a season under his belt. He has had the luxury of a ton of experience at wide receiver who have played better. He has a quarterback that has three years worth of starts. He had three senior starters on the offensive line. He did not really walk into a bad situation.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT