ADVERTISEMENT

Death March... Too Early?

likely have to wait until Dec 9th or 16th. Bama or Arizona might pick them off. Otherwise, they are going to have a long run as #1 in the rankings and be undefeated.
The entire season? They'll never make it.

Reactions: kkott
The entire season? They'll never make it.
i did not type that well. meant they will be undefeated for some time if they don't lose to bama or arizona. they will get beat. likely in the B10 season, twice by us i'm hoping. every team will get beat this season.
i really don't think anyone will match our undefeated season.

Reactions: kmathum
Zedey will run out of steam at years end. He gets beat up too because of his size. Good guards always beat Purdue

likely have to wait until Dec 9th or 16th. Bama or Arizona might pick them off. Otherwise, they are going to have a long run as #1 in the rankings and be undefeated.
don't know beans about Bama, but I think Arizona, based solely on watching them vs Duke will beat PU. They have an athletic and physical post, way more athletic forward, really strong point, and a very good wing (transfer from Utah). Now maybe AZ just played out of their minds in Durham, but they have the formula to beat PU. Now, watch their big get in foul trouble while Edey breezes through the game with 1 foul...

don't know beans about Bama, but I think Arizona, based solely on watching them vs Duke will beat PU. They have an athletic and physical post, way more athletic forward, really strong point, and a very good wing (transfer from Utah). Now maybe AZ just played out of their minds in Durham, but they have the formula to beat PU. Now, watch their big get in foul trouble while Edey breezes through the game with 1 foul...
Bama does not look to be as strong as they were last year. Ariz will have to get the job done.

Reactions: kkott
i did not type that well. meant they will be undefeated for some time if they don't lose to bama or arizona. they will get beat. likely in the B10 season, twice by us i'm hoping. every team will get beat this season.
i really don't think anyone will match our undefeated season.
Indiana imo has less than a zero shot at sweeping them..This yr...
It took JHS to put on a legendary 36 pt performance to pull it off last yr..

I don't think we'll sweep them, but won't surprise me if we split. I think we have a lot of pieces that can give PU trouble. The biggest thing is can we contend with Edey. If not, I don't think we can beat them, but between Ware's height and Reneau and Sparks size, if they really work to keep him as far from the basket as possible, then I think it can start a domino effect, but you gotta contend with him first. Then our guards can focus more on guarding their perimeter and not having to help on Edey. Also, beating Edey down the floor and getting quick looks in transition before he can get positioned in the lane.

Dan Dakich predicted PU would be undefeated this yr. Myself and Jennifer aka Gritty (who is a huge IU fan btw from Evansville) on the youtube chat joked that Dan usually puts the whammy on IU when he predicts good things. So we were quite happy he just put the whammy on PU.
Still listening to the douche, I see. If DD says it you know it’s wrong.

The key to beating Purdue is not containing Edey, it's containing everybody else. The best you can hope for is making Edey's shots tougher so that he only hits 50-60% of his shots as opposed to 70%. At the end of the day, Edey will get a minimum of 12 to 15 points in FG, 8 - 10 rebounds, and he'll get another at least 8 FTA (which he'll make at least 5 or 6 of). Every fan base says "we'll run him to tire him out", but the truth is, he's actually not really that slow. He'll be a few steps behind everybody else, but he runs faster and longer than probably 95% of this board.

The way to defeat Purdue is to cut off Smith / Jones from slashing to the basket and have a hand in the face of Loyer / Gillis when they make 3 point attempts. Give Edey his 20, but keep the guards in single digits. They'll get 60 to 65 points that way and then it's up to the offense of scoring 65+. Purdue was kinda fortunate that the teams in Maui had somewhat off nights on the 3pt shooting. Maybe that's a credit to Purdue's defense, but there were several wide-open misses in those games from Tennessee and Marquette.

The key to beating Purdue is not containing Edey, it's containing everybody else. The best you can hope for is making Edey's shots tougher so that he only hits 50-60% of his shots as opposed to 70%. At the end of the day, Edey will get a minimum of 12 to 15 points in FG, 8 - 10 rebounds, and he'll get another at least 8 FTA (which he'll make at least 5 or 6 of). Every fan base says "we'll run him to tire him out", but the truth is, he's actually not really that slow. He'll be a few steps behind everybody else, but he runs faster and longer than probably 95% of this board.

The way to defeat Purdue is to cut off Smith / Jones from slashing to the basket and have a hand in the face of Loyer / Gillis when they make 3 point attempts. Give Edey his 20, but keep the guards in single digits. They'll get 60 to 65 points that way and then it's up to the offense of scoring 65+. Purdue was kinda fortunate that the teams in Maui had somewhat off nights on the 3pt shooting. Maybe that's a credit to Purdue's defense, but there were several wide-open misses in those games from Tennessee and Marquette.
A good defender will manager smith just fine.

Reactions: iubhounds
Alabama has a near-zero chance vs Purdue.
Would take an extremely bad game by Purdue.

18 teams are still undefeated. Two in the B10 = p-u & Nebraska.
Surprises = James Madison, Princeton, Western Carolina

Current undefeated teams heading into today's slate of games.

iQsriuT.png

Ranking is Barttorvik.com T-Rank

Less than zero? That’s some epic level pessimism there. You win the pessimist of the week award.

I bet you didn’t think IU could beat PU last year too.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Dan Dakich predicted PU would be undefeated this yr. Myself and Jennifer aka Gritty (who is a huge IU fan btw from Evansville) on the youtube chat joked that Dan usually puts the whammy on IU when he predicts good things. So we were quite happy he just put the whammy on PU.
Good call, Dan. Has he ever been right? Lol

It's not a matter of jinxing them. Purdue is once again a solid, but not great team. Predicting them to go undefeated was dumb.

Ol Miss just beat Memphis to stay undefeated ion a close game.
Beard > Penny. (Neither team played great D)
The Ol Miss pg Murray is the real deal. Best I have seen based on one game. Triple threat.

Reactions: Indyhorn
On a brighter note, we are now down to 8 undefeated teams.
Go Hoosiers!!

I don't think we'll sweep them, but won't surprise me if we split. I think we have a lot of pieces that can give PU trouble. The biggest thing is can we contend with Edey. If not, I don't think we can beat them, but between Ware's height and Reneau and Sparks size, if they really work to keep him as far from the basket as possible, then I think it can start a domino effect, but you gotta contend with him first. Then our guards can focus more on guarding their perimeter and not having to help on Edey. Also, beating Edey down the floor and getting quick looks in transition before he can get positioned in the lane.
If Edey gets in foul trouble at IU like a lot of players do, there’s a chance.
I don’t think there’s much of a chance at Mackey. But that is why they play them.

Hey, Hooky, I appreciated your chart earlier in this thread.
Can you post up another with the final 6 left so I can make the appropriate voodoo dolls? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT