ADVERTISEMENT

Dawson Garcia

I don't care if the are poor inner city kids or poor kids from Appalachia. A poor kid is going to have trouble saying no to money that can help his family out of a bad situation.

Coaches like Self know what money can mean to these players. They also know if they offer money and nobody else does, the players are coming to their school. It isn't about what school is the best for the kid, it is about buying a kid's talent and preventing others with better opportunity from competing on a level playing field.

We don’t know that they’re poor, and this hypothetical example doesn’t even hold up to real world scrutiny.

In the much discussed De Sousa case (which is what KU is in trouble for) there was never any evidence that De Sousa was even aware of the Adidas payments to his guardian.
It’s entirely likely he was being taken advantage of.

Your cartoon world example of Self offering these kids money is a little ridiculous.

Last edited:
We don’t know that they’re poor, and this hypothetical example doesn’t even hold up to real world scrutiny.

In the much discussed De Sousa case (which is what KU is in trouble for) there was never any evidence that De Sousa was even aware of the Adidas payments to his guardian.
It’s entirely likely he was being taken advantage of.

Your cartoon world example of Self offering these kids money is a little ridiculous.

Self didn’t deliver it - that’s what Adidas was for:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

Garcia is visiting Memphis. Breaking news....he didn't smile when he put on the Memphis jersey.

...says the middle aged white guy. Racism (and tons of other isms) is human nature... it exists and will always exist. We're people, we can't help ourselves. Are people being lynched? Maybe not, but if you don't think racism plays a role in treatment by police, the justice system, and in a million other less obvious ways in daily life... well you're a white male who doesn't pay hardly any attention to such things, because you don't have to. And I'm a white male and appreciate that almost every day.
Maybe, maybe not but the “minorities” do get many breaks that whites don’t. We all face racism, however today it’s ok to be racist to whites. I work with a black woman who is terrible at her job and deserves to be fired. But, can’t fire her bc she’s black..pretty sweet deal for her. U bet ur ass if that was a white guy he’d be fired in a second. Happens everyday everywhere.

Sure seems like it. Watch the news or espn much? Listen to the radio? There are backhanded remarks about whites all the time. You can’t say shit about blacks without someone flipping out. Just how it is

sounds like the Whites are powerless. Where is all the White power?

Sure seems like it. Watch the news or espn much? Listen to the radio? There are backhanded remarks about whites all the time. You can’t say shit about blacks without someone flipping out. Just how it is

Haha. Sorry it makes your fragile sensibilities uncomfortable that whites are taking few jabs after hundreds of years of saying whatever the f*** we wanted. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not but the “minorities” do get many breaks that whites don’t. We all face racism, however today it’s ok to be racist to whites. I work with a black woman who is terrible at her job and deserves to be fired. But, can’t fire her bc she’s black..pretty sweet deal for her. U bet ur ass if that was a white guy he’d be fired in a second. Happens everyday everywhere.

Wow, one person and you are declaring an epidemic. Lol. This is the twilight of the hillbilly...

Last edited:

Sounds like you’ve had a rough life. Maybe you should start accepting responsibility instead of blaming others, especially those who might appear a bit different than you.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Garcia is a mobile 6'11" guy who is pretty fluid on the dribble for his size. Athletically, he may be about like Thomas Bryant, but if he comes to IU he would have a chance to play the 4 in a big line up. Perhaps the versatility of a Kirk Haston, who was good both inside and out.

I expected nothing less from you two. Couple pussy dems
They live in a white bubble and have no exposure to the real world. They just regurgitate whatever trendy phrase they have heard and act like everyone is racist and how horrible they are. Meanwhile they clutch their purse or walk the other way when they see a black man once a week or month. Their only exposure to black people is watching college basketball.....apparently this makes them an expert on race. Regardless of political affiliation....couple pussies is correct.

Sounds like you’ve had a rough life. Maybe you should start accepting responsibility instead of blaming others, especially those who might appear a bit different than you.
lol...what after school special did you get that crap from? Stay in your white bubble...you wouldn’t survive outside.

Yes, yes, it does occur at times where blacks or another minority may catch a break in hiring or other areas or programs because there are laws that make discrimination illegal. So your "racism" against whites might hurt your feelings, or give a minority an advantage on a job. But "racism" against blacks or other minorities might get them beaten, put in jail or killed. See the difference? No, I don't suppose you do. Hope you manage to get through the day today being as put upon and "discriminated against" as you are Whitey (oh no, more white racism!). Good luck!

PS. Oh, and btw, you can fire someone who is black, or older, or a female; I've done it several times, but it's smart, as it is in any disciplinary action today, to document it well. If that's truly the situation at your work, blame your Supervisor or Management for being scared or lazy. You expect her to resign? Ha!

Garcia is a mobile 6'11" guy who is pretty fluid on the dribble for his size. Athletically, he may be about like Thomas Bryant, but if he comes to IU he would have a chance to play the 4 in a big line up. Perhaps the versatility of a Kirk Haston, who was good both inside and out.
I always thought Bryant ran like an old man or that he was recovering from injuries to both legs. He took short, choppy strides and was slow out of the blocks. He made up for it by running really hard. Comparing Garcia to Bryant brings questions to me. Bryant did just sign a second NBA contract so he is athletic enough to play at a high level

I always thought Bryant ran like an old man or that he was recovering from injuries to both legs. He took short, choppy strides and was slow out of the blocks. He made up for it by running really hard. Comparing Garcia to Bryant brings questions to me. Bryant did just sign a second NBA contract so he is athletic enough to play at a high level
Watch Garcia's highlights. Garcia is very skilled and has good footwork.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, the irony is these two probably live in a rural part of IN... but I'm sure one that has a large minority population and is very diverse!
What does Chicago have to with Garcia, who is from Minnesota?

What does Chicago have to with Garcia, who is from Minnesota?

Not a thing, and I appreciate your attempt to keep the discussion on track. I just hate when whites complain about reverse racism... rarely any argument there beyond whining when you get to nuts and bolts, as seems the case here.

However, here's something else that has nothing to do with Garcia, but is how we repay miscues on the AOTF! My bad!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Oh, and knowing this is sexism and exploitation of someone who's white, I'll assume Cutter and KSteph will look away!

Last edited:
The IU fans are the most knowledgeable fans must be self proclaimed. This thread is an f’ing disaster. Holy shat.

I think Garcia would be encouraged by the discourse we are having here on the issue of race in American society.

A dialogue is a great first step! And part of college is being intellectually stimulated!

Bryant did move like he had the legs of an old man. But give him credit, don't think we ever questioned his effort or his desire to compete and win. If anything, it sometimes got the better of him. But I'd take that every day of the week vs super athletic player who sleep walks through games (which we hopefully will no longer see this year).

Reactions: ufo33 and iubud
Not a thing, and I appreciate your attempt to keep the discussion on track. I just hate when whites complain about reverse racism... rarely any argument there beyond whining when you get to nuts and bolts, as seems the case here.

However, here's something else that has nothing to do with Garcia, but is how we repay miscues on the AOTF! My bad!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Oh, and knowing this is sexism and exploitation of someone who's white, I'll assume Cutter and KSteph will look away!
how did those hostages not escape ?? Double sided sticky tape?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT