ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
I believe he would he be interested in IU if he was still waiting for Izzo's retirement.

Last edited:
Butler hired a coach with 11-24 record. We need an AD that says I don’t need no stinking search committee

I believe he would he be interested in IU if he was still waiting for Izzo's retirement.
When we fired Crean I said beforehand that if you are going to fire a guy you better have a slam dunk hire ready to go. Archie wasn't a slam dunk hire. I had nothing against him, but he is no Chris Beard, Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens. Now I fear that if we fire Archie and don't have a slam dunk hire ready to go then we are going to be in the same place a few years from now. We have to get it right. You have to have a coach and administration that is committed to winning. And of course at IU we win the right way. If we hired another cheater ala Calvin Samscum then it means we have sold our soul. I can see why some IU fans bailed when we hired him. If we don't get this right then we are doomed to being a bad program and at best mediocre.

Butler hired a coach with 11-24 record. We need an AD that says I don’t need no stinking search committee
When we fired Crean I said beforehand that if you are going to fire a guy you better have a slam dunk hire ready to go. Archie wasn't a slam dunk hire. I had nothing against him, but he is no Chris Beard, Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens. Now I fear that if we fire Archie and don't have a slam dunk hire ready to go then we are going to be in the same place a few years from now. We have to get it right. You have to have a coach and administration that is committed to winning. And of course at IU we win the right way. If we hired another cheater ala Calvin Samscum then it means we have sold our soul. I can see why some IU fans bailed when we hired him. If we don't get this right then we are doomed to being a bad program and at best mediocre.
Bullshit-We need an AD that knows what they are doing, Lavall Jordan was 11-24 his only year at Milwaukee. "slam dunk hire" whatever.

Chris Beard was a slam dunk hire coming out of Arkansas - Little Rock? lol. i get what you are saying but, man, an uncertain future sure causes a lot of funny rewrites of the past...

Reactions: twenty02
Chris Beard was a slam dunk hire coming out of Arkansas - Little Rock? lol. i get what you are saying but, man, an uncertain future sure causes a lot of funny rewrites of the past...
It is always a roll of the dice.

Reactions: hondo314
Unless you hire a home run hire, Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, Greg Marshall, it is a roll of the dice on unproven Mid Major coaches, Assistant coaches, or famous former NBA players with connections but very little coaching experience.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
Unless you hire a home run hire, Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, Greg Marshall, it is a roll of the dice on unproven Mid Major coaches, Assistant coaches, or famous former NBA players with connections but very little coaching experience.
WRONG How many bad hires beside Miller has Butler made. If you know what you're doing as an AD it's easy.

That would be yet another experiment. We hired an experienced but mediocre coach in Crean that gave us a decade of shitty basketball. We’ve now hired the young up-and-coming flavor-of-the-month coach in Miller and it’s looking like this isn’t going to work out either. With the money we wasted on Crean and what we might end up wasting on Miller, we could have made either Stevens or Donovan the highest paid coach in college basketball. I can tell you I don’t want Alford. He was already given the reigns of an elite program and ended up fired mid season after 5 1/2 years.

Maybe we need to hire Barry Collier to replace Glass?
IU will totally f---k this AD hire up I'm convinced of it. I could seriously see them hiring a woman as AD just to be one of the few schools with a female AD, I'd almost bet money on that.

Assuming Stevens, Donovan, Beard, and Marshall are off the table hire Bruce Pearl. He’s a flat out winner, would recruit like a MF’r at IU, and plays a style the fans would love. He’d give us a great decade and put us back on the map. But too obvious for this administration.

Because he wouldn't be an experiment? Other than IPFW, he has no head coaching experience. His record there was sub-0.500. How would this not qualify as an experiment to you?

I don't know that I'd be against Fife being hired, but it would certainly be a risk.

Fife was there four years, and each year his record was better than the year before. He went to MSU to learn how to recruit and coach four- and five-star players. I'd take him for the IU job in a heartbeat. At MSU he recruits Indiana well.

I like Fife but we have to get a proven winner. Can't be hiring somebody who has been in the water the last 10 years.

Assuming Stevens, Donovan, Beard, and Marshall are off the table hire Bruce Pearl. He’s a flat out winner, would recruit like a MF’r at IU, and plays a style the fans would love. He’d give us a great decade and put us back on the map. But too obvious for this administration.

cheater

Fife was there four years, and each year his record was better than the year before. He went to MSU to learn how to recruit and coach four- and five-star players. I'd take him for the IU job in a heartbeat. At MSU he recruits Indiana well.

Wasn’t he sub-500?

Because he wouldn't be an experiment? Other than IPFW, he has no head coaching experience. His record there was sub-0.500. How would this not qualify as an experiment to you?

I don't know that I'd be against Fife being hired, but it would certainly be a risk.
It would be an experiment, but a 1 M 2 year one, vs a 3.5 M 4-5-6 year one. I'd bet on Fife vs. extending Archie

Wasn’t he sub-500?
Maybe so, but he has fire and knows real D, not gimmick D. I don't know what kind of mind for offense he has, but he eventually was a good offensive player and I would expect you could get a good O staff to help him HERE (BTW, it ain't Tallahassee State and we pay well for assistants too), I would think he would easily fair as well as Archie in all aspects

I like Fife but we have to get a proven winner. Can't be hiring somebody who has been in the water the last 10 years.
I would normally agree, but NOBODY (Maybe Thad Matta, assuming he's healthy and would want the challenge) realistically is available that is going to get us elite immediately. Fife had fire as a player and has a resume under Izzo (I know, so did Crean), but Fife had that fire as a player and I think probably spent more time under Izzo than Crean, plus he is a great alum and was a D first player. I'd bet on him for half what we pay for ineptitude we've seen for years at elite level pay scale. We spend more on recruiting than like 1/2 the B10 combined for the crap we see and most of what we'd pay for a top 5 coach. I mean, honestly, if the administration doesn't actually care about results, but just wants to appear they do by the high salary for no results, maybe a new AD will wise up if a home run hire isn't available and an equally risky, but new and cheap, experiment is available vs. the already proven failed experiment that is Archie, for half price. I'd just like to see effort and something resembling intelligent basketball and continuous improvement, even if it takes a while. Things we are not seeing under Archie.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Would rather have Michael Lewis.
Be fine with me too, Archie is tempting my patience for improvement just about as much as Crean was in year 3, and I wanted him gone, gone, gone, when we could have realistically hired Stevens. But NO, too stupid to cut bait then and now.

I don’t believe anybody other than say Coach K or Wright because of their long-time attachment to their program and university, is really off the table if the money is right. The really good coaches have huge egos and would love the challenge of resurrecting a once great program like ours. I don’t want him for reasons not worth repeating but I bet Calipari would love a challenge like IU and what success here would mean for his legacy. You can bet others like Chris Beard and maybe even Stevens would be thinking the same way.

And please, enough with the Michael Lewis’s and Dane Fife’s. If Arch goes south, it has got to be a super big-time hire to replace him. Somebody with a great track record who will regularly attract big-time recruits. This can’t be small-time anymore. That ship has sailed. The program could be on life-support unless Archie can turn it around in the next year or so, which I’m afraid looks highly unlikely.

should have gone with Randy Wittman after Davis, and again after Sampson.

played at Ben Davis, IU AA with an NCAA ring, solid pro, NBA head coach, tutored under RMK and a who's who of NBA greats, would have cred with any recruit.

IU blew it both times.

that said, the best coach for a school is more like an ingredient in a recipe, than a stand alone item.

Izzo and all of Wisc coaches the last 20 yrs prob don't do near as well elsewhere, but were the right fit for those situations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT