ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you think. Why would Dan bringing up his wife's race be racist? He isn't saying blacks are terrible. In fact Sage Steele said to him, "Dan, you like the Moca". I'm sure how you spell Moca to refer to a black person. Again, what Dan did was call out those who bring up race and are not fair with it. You celebrate Black Pride and it's wonderful. You celebrate White Pride and you are a Klansman. You can't tell me that there is a backlash for those who say they are proud of their white race. What will they hear? "You have white privilege so of course. The Founders were white and many owned slaves so you have no right. Blah Blah Blah".
I don’t think I’m the one who needs to think about racism. But you do you, Van. I know you think you are oppressed.

I admit to being behind in some areas. But one thing I am not is a dog chasing a whistle. If someone uses the word racist I don't run I think. I analyze.
Me thinks you are vastly overrating your thinking and analyzing. I get the sense via your words there's not a whole lot of that stuff going on or any self-awareness. Dakich has that going on too.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
Celebrating people for immutable characteristics is dumb no matter what those characteristics are. Good pilots are good pilots. Accomplishments are accomplishments. Needing to add a modifier to those is dumb no matter if the modifier is black, white, man, woman or other.
Thanks Dad.

Maybe you still have time to get Amelia Earhart, Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson scrubbed from the history books.

Thanks Dad.

Maybe you still have time to get Amelia Earhart, Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson scrubbed from the history books.
So you think all of the above deserve recognition primarily for their race and gender instead of their individual excellence? Are you saying their accomplishments would be less impressive if they were white men? They wouldn’t still be in the history books? Please clarify. Seems to me a great pilot is a great pilot and a HoFer is a HoFer.

Celebrating people for immutable characteristics is dumb no matter what those characteristics are. Good pilots are good pilots. Accomplishments are accomplishments. Needing to add a modifier to those is dumb no matter if the modifier is black, white, man, woman or other.
Bingo.

So you think all of the above deserve recognition primarily for their race and gender instead of their individual excellence? Are you saying their accomplishments would be less impressive if they were white men? They wouldn’t still be in the history books? Please clarify. Seems to me a great pilot is a great pilot and a HoFer is a HoFer.
Not less impressive, but more notable when someone is one of the few to achieve such an accomplishment. It's called showing the way, inspiration, whatever name there is, but it makes others think, "Hey, I can do that too!". All the examples I used were notable and amazing accomplishments, but yes, it adds to it when they were (one of) the first. Can't even fathom how someone doesn't see that or agree (and I think you're being disingenous if you don't feel that way, even if you don't say it): it's human nature and it works in reverse to. Again, Larry Bird was more popular without a doubt because he was white and achieving at a high level in a sport that was largely black, and was respected by both white and black folks and players. Same thing when you see a high level white sprinter, boxer, or a black pro golfer or NBA/NFL Coach (or President!). Ultimately, yes, the hope is that hit becomes so commonplace it's no longer notable, but in the meantime I think it's human nature to give a tip of the cap, or if you're in that group to think "well done brother!".

Reactions: nichlee
How is any of that really racist? Do you really think Dan was hailing the race of his wife? No, he was making a very good point. White people in our culture can be diminished. You can bring up their race and blame all the ills of society on them without any repercussion. People who were never slave owners get blamed for slavery while those who were never slaves who think they are still influenced by the practice are coddled. Yeah, you know come to think of it you are right. We, because we are white have had tons of privilege. I don't buy that by the way. Name me one law on the books today that is tailor made to make white people have an upper hand?
Gerrymandering in several states is now being adjudicated in the courts. It has predominantly diluted the vote for blacks. Just out of curiosity what denomination do you belong to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT