ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich in trouble again

We got blasted in Lincoln in 1975 pretty much like MuNutty said. And it was 69-17 in ‘78. I knew several starters on the ‘78 team - Corso didn’t exactly run a tight ship.
And we lost 31-13 in '77 in Lincoln. None of those years included a National Championship for Nebraska.

And we lost 31-13 in '77 in Lincoln. None of those years included a National Championship for Nebraska.
On the nnorthern exterior of their stadium, the national championship years are listed. Thought there was a big gap until ‘95, but I defer to any Huskerophiles.

I guess I had a senior moment when I said Nebraska won the National Championship in 1975. It was an interesting experience for me, though.

IU had a player named Don Shanz (sp?) and he was a horse. I did a feature story on him that mentioned he could bench press something like 450 pounds, had a black belt in karate and was a bouncer at a bar during the summer. The AP or UPI then ran the story on a nationally and the Nebraska players were waiting for him when we arrived on a Friday for a walk through at Nebraska's stadium.

The Nebraska players then focused on Shanz during the game, beat the heck out of him and it made him mad at me. He told me to never do a story like that on him again before a game.

I also had to do a preview regarding the game. I called Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne at his office several times, left messages for him to return my call and he neglected to do it. After noticing his home phone number on the documentation I had, I called him at home on a Thursday evening.

It made Coach Osborne so mad at first. He raved at me and told me to never call him at his home again. I apologized several times and he eventually became very nice to me. At the end of our conversation, he asked me to stop by after the game and introduce myself to him.

I barely finished my preview article before deadline time, we flew to Nebraska and I covered the game. Afterward, I introduced myself to Coach Osborne and he was a class act.

I guess I had a senior moment when I said Nebraska won the National Championship in 1975. It was an interesting experience for me, though.

IU had a player named Don Shanz (sp?) and he was a horse. I did a feature story on him that mentioned he could bench press something like 450 pounds, had a black belt in karate and was a bouncer at a bar during the summer. The AP or UPI then ran the story on a nationally and the Nebraska players were waiting for him when we arrived on a Friday for a walk through at Nebraska's stadium.

The Nebraska players then focused on Shanz during the game, beat the heck out of him and it made him mad at me. He told me to never do a story like that on him again before a game.

I also had to do a preview regarding the game. I called Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne at his office several times, left messages for him to return my call and he neglected to do it. After noticing his home phone number on the documentation I had, I called him at home on a Thursday evening.

It made Coach Osborne so mad at first. He raved at me and told me to never call him at his home again. I apologized several times and he eventually became very nice to me. At the end of our conversation, he asked me to stop by after the game and introduce myself to him.

I barely finished my preview article before deadline time, we flew to Nebraska and I covered the game. Afterward, I introduced myself to Coach Osborne and he was a class act.
Wow...great read...thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
As a former sports editor of a daily newspaper with a degree in journalism from IU, it really irritates me when he refers to sports reporters as "those little media guys."

I covered sports for the IDS all four years I was at IU. Neither players nor coaches would cross me face-to-face because I had a muscular build and they could sense I wasn't afraid of them.

When I began covering sports for Greenfield's daily newspaper in 1976, Eastern Hancock's coach told a high school student he was going to beat me up the next time he saw me. Ironically, I arrived to cover his team's game that afternoon and was wearing a golf shirt because it wasn't cold for the first time that spring.

The coach saw me a few minutes later and was the nicest he had been since I had begun covering his team a few weeks earlier. He looked at me and asked whether I had been lifting weights. My response was that I always lifted weights.

After covering the game, I returned home that night and received a phone call from the student. Once he informed me the coach had threatened to beat me up, I realized why he had been so nice to me when he saw me. He had never seen me without a jacket and my build caught him totally off guard.

That fall, I was covering an IU football game and attended the press conference afterward. Several of us reporters were trying to interview the IU quarterback regarding his poor performance in the Hoosiers' loss and he kept refusing to answer our questions. I finally informed him that we had given him positive coverage when he had good games earlier in the season and he was obligated to answer our questions. He then became very cooperative and began answering all of our questions.

After the press conference, one of my reporter friends said he was shocked I would become so confrontational with a football player. My response was that I wasn't scare of him.

What is my point? Even though I'm almost 67 years old, I don't believe Dakich would refer to me as a "little media guy" if he met me. In other words, he shouldn't stereotype.
I thought Dan meant those who have blogs when referring to little media guys. You could be right in that he is just talking about the local press in general.

Coaches like Lee Corso and the late Doug Blubaugh (IU wrestling coach) both were really nice to me when I covered their teams for the IDS. Coach Fitch (IU golf coach when I was there), on the other hand, wasn't so nice to me when I covered golf my sophomore year at IU because he realized I knew nothing about it at that time.
Remembering one article, maybe in the IDS, about Lee Corso and the IU football team at OSU. Don't remember the details but Corso at a time out before the half had a team picture taken in front of the scoreboard. IU was barely ahead.

The remainder of the game was all OSU.

Was so weird. But that was Coach Corso.

McNutt...did you write that. Cracked me up.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Remembering one article, maybe in the IDS, about Lee Corso and the IU football team at OSU. Don't remember the details but Corso at a time out before the half had a team picture taken in front of the scoreboard. IU was barely ahead.

I hope so much that really happened.

I seem to recall that this game was at home. We had a lead and Corso called a time out .. had the seniors go out on the field at took a picture of them in front of the scoreboard.

Apparently, you are not familiar with Columbus. It has the best architecture in Indiana and it is the site for Cummins' corporate office. The average income in Columbus is much higher than average as is the median price for a home.

CORRECTION: Some of the best architecture in the country. I'd put it right up there with Savannah, GA...

You do? As a funny joke?

It is...it's a funny joke.

First time I heard that little nickname...I was in high school and snuck into Nick's to watch an IU game...somebody shouted "oh no not Jockitch!" when he came into the game...

It is...it's a funny joke.

First time I heard that little nickname...I was in high school and snuck into Nick's to watch an IU game...somebody shouted "oh no not Jockitch!" when he came into the game...
Yeah, it really is very, very funny and extremely clever!

I believe I did write it. If I remember correctly, it was the fall of 1975 and I covered that game in Columbus, OH. Our IDS photographer (a big guy) took the picture. By the way, the press conference afterward was awful. We had to sit in seats and raise our hands to ask Woody Hayes questions.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT