ADVERTISEMENT

D-day in Europe 80 years ago...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
It's important to remember that the Marines in the Pacific made similar landings on multiple occasions in both the South and North Pacific, each time facing fearful odds for the individual Marine to just make it out of the boat and off the beach intact... On at least one landing (and probably two others) the assembled ships and resources eclipsed that of the Normandy landing...

All that said..., Normandy is the remembered "D-day" and understandably so given the stakes at the time... Normandy (in my mind at least), should be remembered primarily because of the guts and fortitude shown by individual soldiers, who having become disoriented and disorganized after having their friends and teammates slaughtered around them (at Omaha Beach and during the Paratrooper jumps the previous night), overcame extraordinary "friction" (the confusion attendant to the violence of combat operations) and strong enemy resistance, bucked the odds, reorganized themselves into small functioning units thru sheer strength of character and "closed with and destroyed the enemy" in spite of the Germans being in prepared defensive positions that "by the book" requires a minimum of a three to one advantage in manpower to overcome (rarely, if ever, was that the case of the Paratrooper engagements and the Omaha Beach soldiers immediately after the initial landing)...

In the case of both the Paratrooper jumps and the Omaha beach landing nearly everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong, from the Paratroopers being dropped miles away from their intended landing zones and having entire platoons decimated before they ever reached the ground; to the bombing preparations being completely off target at Omaha, in some cases simply creating drowning holes rather than breaching any of the German prepared defenses, in others, dropping their bombs too far inland... to entire units trained with critical skills being wiped out...

Actual "close air support" was non-existent and early Preparatory Naval Gunfire was relatively ineffective; not until several Destroyer Captains grasped the situation and in some cases risked their careers by moving closer to the Beach than their orders indicated, providing much needed close in support, which was key to the lock to the door being finally turned..., allowing the landing force to kick it open (at Great risk) thus ensuring that the landing would be a success.

Eisenhowers Message (History Channel montage):

Air Drop recreated (Band of Brothers);

Here's the Navy's view of what went on at Omaha:

All those who served deserve our undying gratitude but especially those who were at the "point of the sword" who went willingly, suffered, and often died because they understood the consequences of not going...

Thumbnail Timeline of the Operation:

From Band of Brothers:

Last edited:
It's important to remember that the Marines in the Pacific made similar landings on multiple occasions in both the South and North Pacific, each time facing fearful odds for the individual Marine to just make it out of the boat and off the beach intact... On at least one landing (and probably two others) the assembled ships and resources eclipsed that of the Normandy landing...

Just because I am listening to James Holland's book on Italy, Salerno was another massive invasion that is overlooked. We completely underestimated opposition and were badly outnumbered. Because of saving for D-Day, and not wanting to slow down the Pacific advance, we gave them way too few landing craft and too little shipping to supply the troops. The 8th Air Force refused to reallocate B17s to help. They were given the older P40s in addition to P38s as their main air cover.

One great story, General Taylor made a trip to Rome before the invasion to see if it was feasible to land the 82nd and take Rome. The Italians had promised to help. He quickly found out that there was no Italian help. His message to abort wasn't decoded and forwarded properly, Most of the 82nd were literally already in the air for the drop. The plane carrying the message came in firing flares and landing to block the rest of the division from taking off. We came perilously close to losing that division on a fool's errand.

Just because I am listening to James Holland's book on Italy, Salerno was another massive invasion that is overlooked. We completely underestimated opposition and were badly outnumbered. Because of saving for D-Day, and not wanting to slow down the Pacific advance, we gave them way too few landing craft and too little shipping to supply the troops. The 8th Air Force refused to reallocate B17s to help. They were given the older P40s in addition to P38s as their main air cover.

One great story, General Taylor made a trip to Rome before the invasion to see if it was feasible to land the 82nd and take Rome. The Italians had promised to help. He quickly found out that there was no Italian help. His message to abort wasn't decoded and forwarded properly, Most of the 82nd were literally already in the air for the drop. The plane carrying the message came in firing flares and landing to block the rest of the division from taking off. We came perilously close to losing that division on a fool's errand.
That clip with Roosevelts Prayer had a Lot of other than actual D-Day at Normandy stuff in it... Was going to go back and delete it but didn't want to lose the Prayer...

Had a better version of that post but the site timed out on me and I lost about a quarter of it (mainly film clips)... Need to move on with my day so I'm not going back to edit it anymore than I have..

Suffice it to say that we all owe those men a debt that can never be fully repaid...

That clip with Roosevelts Prayer had a Lot of other than actual D-Day at Normandy stuff in it... Was going to go back and delete it but didn't want to lose the Prayer...

Had a better version of that post but the site timed out on me and I lost about a quarter of it (mainly film clips)... Need to move on with my day so I'm not going back to edit it anymore than I have..

Suffice it to say that we all owe those men a debt that can never be fully repaid...
All of Europe owe that debt as well.

I looked up the stats, and the US contingent on D-Day was smaller than the English/Canadians (never knew that). So let’s remember them as well.

Reactions: 76-1
All of Europe owe that debt as well.

I looked up the stats, and the US contingent on D-Day was smaller than the English/Canadians (never knew that). So let’s remember them as well.
Don’t remember the name of the movie, but there is one similar to The Longest Day about their landings on D-Day.

The Longest Day is a great book. As is A Bridge Too Far.
Both are great books, Ryan* was a great writer. The best of his books for me is The Last Battle about the fall of Berlin. It covers more as the US isn't excluded at all. But the main focus is on the Germans and Russians in Berlin.

The movie The Longest Day is like Tora Tora Tora, they hired a ton of people involved as consultants. Both make a choice to make something up (Longest Day it is the nuns, Tora it is the quote about awaking a sleeping giant). But other than that, they do amazingly well for a movie.

*mistakenly wrote Toland the first time for reasons unknown.

Both are great books, Toland was a great writer. The best of his books for me is The Last Battle about the fall of Berlin. It covers more as the US isn't excluded at all. But the main focus is on the Germans and Russians in Berlin.

The movie The Longest Day is like Tora Tora Tora, they hired a ton of people involved as consultants. Both make a choice to make something up (Longest Day it is the nuns, Tora it is the quote about awaking a sleeping giant). But other than that, they do amazingly well for a movie.
Cornelius Ryan.

Both are great books, Toland was a great writer. The best of his books for me is The Last Battle about the fall of Berlin. It covers more as the US isn't excluded at all. But the main focus is on the Germans and Russians in Berlin.

We saw the little church in Normandy where US medics cared for both Germans and Americans without distinguishing between them. I don’t know if there were nuns there, but there could have been.

Pacific theatre definitely gets the short end of the stick.

The Battle of Saipan was every bit as dangerous and Japanese didn't take POWs for the most part. They were more likely to chop off your head than leave anyone alive.

I have not read any of Holland's books, but his WWII podcast (with Al Murray) is outstanding.

One of these years I want to attend D-Day Conneaut (northern Ohio). Holland did his podcast from there last year, and it sounds like a great experience. They even offer rides (on Lake Erie) in a Higgins boat. Tickets (free) became available today. The event is in mid-August.

Check out last year's schedule of events: https://ddayohio.us/schedule.html#Tickets

I have not read any of Holland's books, but his WWII podcast (with Al Murray) is outstanding.

One of these years I want to attend D-Day Conneaut (northern Ohio). Holland did his podcast from there last year, and it sounds like a great experience. They even offer rides (on Lake Erie) in a Higgins boat. Tickets (free) became available today. The event is in mid-August.

Check out last year's schedule of events: https://ddayohio.us/schedule.html#Tickets

Looks like tickets for the Higgins boat rides are already sold out (tickets were available starting today).

That looks awesome!

Reactions: Noodle
I met a guy who was a paratrooper in A Bridge Too Far. When I met him, he had just returned from a trip to the town where he dropped. He was treated like royalty. They still remember and love Americans.

You're probably aware of this but there's an LST down in Evansville that was at D-day...

Here's a link: https://www.lstmemorial.org/

You're probably aware of this but there's an LST down in Evansville that was at D-day...

I was not. Very cool. I love touring old ships. Photo below is from a visit to the USS North Carolina battleship (Wilmington).

20180718%20077-X2.jpg

I met a guy who was a paratrooper in A Bridge Too Far. When I met him, he had just returned from a trip to the town where he dropped. He was treated like royalty. They still remember and love Americans.
To add to that, slightly, I once picked up a hitchhiker carrying a stringer of Trout up in Yellowstone (the car was a rental 😉)... Turned out he was a former Special Forces Medic who had been asked by a friend to be a jump-master on the set of the movie "A Bridge Too Far"...

He shared an the interesting insight that the Dutch near the set couldn't do enough for the extras that were in US and British uniforms but shunned the poor guys who got stuck playing Germans...

I ran into him back in either "82", I think the movie was made in "80" but that may be wrong... At any rate, the hard feelings hadn't softened with the Dutch close to 40 years later...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian

I had no idea that existed, thanks. I will look into it next year.

I was not. Very cool. I love touring old ships. Photo below is from a visit to the USS North Carolina battleship (Wilmington).

20180718%20077-X2.jpg
Pro tip: go early on a cloudy, cool day... Those steel decks heat up fast and stay hot... 😎

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
I had no idea that existed, thanks. I will look into it next year.
I knew nothing about it either even though I grew up on Lake Erie and now live in Cincy. I found about it from the podcast. I was floored by all of the things going on there - from a paratrooper drop (using WWII style parachutes) to a USO dance. Plus, all of the equipment, including tanks, vehicles, radio gear, etc. is privately owned. It also sounds like they strive to keep everything as authentic as possible.

Pro tip: go early on a cloudy, cool day... Those steel decks heat up fast and stay hot... 😎
The deck of the USS North Carolina is teak. I believe all WWII battleships had teak decks.

The deck of the USS North Carolina is teak. I believe all WWII battleships had teak decks.
You can even buy pens made from the original teak on the North Carolina:

You are 100% correct about the heat on steel decks. Heck, it can get really brutal below deck as well.

We visited the LST late on a hot day... The only positive from that was gaining an appreciation for what the guys living and being transported by those ships in the Pacific had to deal with...
Were the LST's used to transport tanks across the Atlantic (i.e., from the U.S.) or were the tanks only put on the LSTs in theater - for example, cargo ships to get the tanks to England, and then the tanks loaded onto LSTs in England for D-Day? I ended up going down a rabbit hole, learning, for example, that they retrofit some LSTs with flight decks for launching observation planes (see below). Amazing stuff

LST_Aircraft_Carrier.jpg

Were the LST's used to transport tanks across the Atlantic (i.e., from the U.S.) or were the tanks only put on the LSTs in theater - for example, cargo ships to get the tanks to England, and then the tanks loaded onto LSTs in England for D-Day? I ended up going down a rabbit hole, learning, for example, that they retrofit some LSTs with flight decks for launching observation planes (see below). Amazing stuff

LST_Aircraft_Carrier.jpg
Unsure (about the tanks being ferried across the Atlantic in the LST's)... I know that they were used to transport Marines and the Higgins Boats for them, also Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Artillery, and Light Tanks and Trucks all across the Pacific so it makes sense that they would also be used to transport Tanks and other gear across the Atlantic...

I can tell you that they weren't well loved by those they transported. Their relatively flat bottom made them roll quite a bit in high seas which regularly induced seasickness in those who were first experiencing the design trade offs of a shallow draft seagoing vessel...

My third ship did a bunch of 50th anniversary port visits and ceremonies in the Pacific. One of them was Leyte Gulf and one of the Philippine Navy ships was an LST used in Pacific island landings and we had given it to them. That it was still operating 50 years later was kind of amazing, but even more amazing was that the ship was built in my hometown of Jeffersonville, IN. Those LSTs had a shallow enough draft that many were built in cities along the Ohio and Mississippi. That Evansville LST was probably built in Evansville. They did build them too if I remember correctly.

• Love
Reactions: Noodle and 76-1
Unsure (about the tanks being ferried across the Atlantic in the LST's)... I know that they were used to transport Marines and the Higgins Boats for them, also Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Artillery, and Light Tanks and Trucks all across the Pacific so it makes sense that they would also be used to transport Tanks and other gear across the Atlantic...

I can tell you that they weren't well loved by those they transported. Their relatively flat bottom made them roll quite a bit in high seas which regularly induced seasickness in those who were first experiencing the design trade offs of a shallow draft seagoing vessel...
LSTs ride like pigs. My third ship was an LST and even though much larger than WWII LSTs, it still rode like a pig. Even some of our most seasoned Sailors would get seasick. Even happened to me once, only once, after we had been riding heavy seas for about a week. Chicken Parmesan smell triggered the seasickness. ;)

Only other time on six ships that I got seasick was the first day at sea on my first ship. Most rookie Sailors and Officers get seasick the first time out in any sort of seas.

LSTs ride like pigs. My third ship was an LST and even though much larger than WWII LSTs, it still rode like a pig. Even some of our most seasoned Sailors would get seasick. Even happened to me once, only once, after we had been riding heavy seas for about a week. Chicken Parmesan smell triggered the seasickness. ;)

Only other time on six ships that I got seasick was the first day at sea on my first ship. Most rookie Sailors and Officers get seasick the first time out in any sort of seas.
It happened to my father during a high seas event... His one and only time. Happened to a lot of Marines who were ashore for extended lengths of time either training or fighting... He said he'd been quite proud of the fact he'd never been seasick. That all ended on that particular LST...

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
My Dad served as company clerk at Schofield barracks in Hawaii, post Pearl Harbor. He had taken typing in high school and was a math whiz, so they matched him to that job. A real Radar O'Reilly. That wasn't a bad place to be, at least after the attack. Better location than my three uncles, who all earned purple hearts, two in the Pacific theater (one in the Battle of Luzon) and one in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge.

Last edited:
4 celebrities who were at the D-Day landings. I knew about James Doohan, JD Salinger, and Charles Durning. I didn't know Yogi Berra. I wonder if he used Yogiisms back then?

That took me to this:

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT