ADVERTISEMENT

Crean goes off on teams stupidly declining NIT bids…

Kent Sterling had an interesting take on IU declining. He said that after IU was bounced in the Mike Davis years, Mike was fired. After IU was bounced from the NIT in the Tom Crean years, Crean was fired. Maybe Woodson doesn't want to take a chance on getting bounced?

Either way they would have lost to some scrub team.

Maybe not a good look. But the NIT is going to go the way of secondary college bowl games, the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine. I know that bball injury risk is not as great.

Kent Sterling had an interesting take on IU declining. He said that after IU was bounced in the Mike Davis years, Mike was fired. After IU was bounced from the NIT in the Tom Crean years, Crean was fired. Maybe Woodson doesn't want to take a chance on getting bounced?

Very interesting thought

I thought it was announced, or at least known, that CTC wasn’t returning before that 1st round NIT loss? Maybe I’m wrong.

Yes, but that scrub team wojld have been better coached and wanted it more. Not familiar with IU's program. If it were to have a home game, 8,000 true* fans woukd have shown up creating more income for staff working assembly hall, the university etc. The players are getting paid. Maybe this is a bad look. IU could have donated 10% of the ticket gate to some charity easily.

I get what clappy is saying and I feel badly for the servers, bartenders, restaurants and bars in Btown losing home games.

Maybe in past years when iu teams were mostly young and just need more time, then yeah, the NIT makes sense. This year’s iu team is completely beat up, both mentally and physically. Too many injuries that players are still playing through already, and the team needs to end the season. Mentally, there’s no secret that these guys don’t play well together, and also, the coaches have lost these these players. Or some of them anyway. Gunn and Banks at least.

Throw in the code red situation with now zero recruits and the portal being issue number one, I support shutting down this season and throwing the entire focus on recruiting the portal. I don’t think it’s an issue of “we’re better than the NIT”. Thats fan fiction.

I had forgotten how obtuse Crean is. His little faux locker room speech is cringeworthy.

Defense was bad and the turnovers were horrendous. But they could score. I think Troy Williams is the poster dude for Coach Crean's Tenure. I did enjoy Cody Zeller being at IU during Coach's reign since I am from Washington IN.
Yeah, I think most people enjoy watching offense, but Crean's teams were very frustrating with turnovers and D, because he had the athletes to be really excellent defensively.

Reactions: Spartans9312
It always seems odd to pass up free practices, especially when you can play your younger players to get them experience.

I get what clappy is saying and I feel badly for the servers, bartenders, restaurants and bars in Btown losing home games.

Go read the NIT selection criteria. IU would not be hosting games. The 16 home teams are the 12 auto qualifiers (Ohio St and Iowa got it for the B1G, as it is based upon NET) and then the best 4 at large teams. IU would have been neither.

I don't think they would have even gotten an invite. But if they did it was guaranteed to be a road game

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Go read the NIT selection criteria. IU would not be hosting games. The 16 home teams are the 12 auto qualifiers (Ohio St and Iowa got it for the B1G, as it is based upon NET) and then the best 4 at large teams. IU would have been neither.

I don't think they would have even gotten an invite. But if they did it was guaranteed to be a road game
IU would likely have been an at large host site. We sell seats and money talks and my understanding is they have flexibility in scheduling.

That's just... Racist. You saying Indian and Mexicans cant be trusted? gtfo

jus playing your stupid games right back.
It's hilarious when you try to be clever... Stay in your lane, Punchy... your brain wasn't made to be clever...

No it's saying that any male that paints themselves that orange most likely has underlying self esteem issues, is without doubt superficially inclined and is as fake and phony as burnt orange skin tone on a human being.

fwiw, since your parents and teachers failed to educate you - Mexican isn't a race - it's a multi race multi cultural multi ethnic nationality and only the phony douchebags paint themselves orange.

It's hilarious when you try to be clever... Stay in your lane, Punchy... your brain wasn't made to be clever...

No it's saying that any male that paints themselves that orange most likely has underlying self esteem issues, is without doubt superficially inclined and is as fake and phony as burnt orange skin tone on a human being.

fwiw, since your parents and teachers failed to educate you - Mexican isn't a race - it's a multi race multi cultural multi ethnic nationality and only the phony douchebags paint themselves orange.
dumb.

Invitation is still open. For you, replace Punchy with another name that starts with P.

lol, of course they would. Money talks and at large selections are there for a reason.

So you are trying up claim the NCAA would toss out their entire NIT selection criteria to give IU a home game?

Your homerism is ridiculous.

Regardless… It would have been Interesting to play in the NIT on the Hinkle fleldhouse floor, as Hinkle was one of the original basketball palaces.

So…is IU going to get ahead of it next season and decline an invitation to the B10 tournament if they aren’t going to qualify?

IUMBB - where dysfunction is not only accepted, it’s institutionalized.

So…is IU going to get ahead of it next season and decline an invitation to the B10 tournament if they aren’t going to qualify?

IUMBB - where dysfunction is not only accepted, it’s institutionalized.
Maybe we can start by disinviting ourselves to the embarrassment that will occur in Atlantis

From the '94/'95 season to today, the best 5 year stretch for IU Basketball was '11/'12 to '15/16. Most wins. 3 Sweet 16s, 2 Big 10 championships. Kind of sad, compared to the 25 seasons before that. But the data doesn't lie. That was the best 5 year run since OJ took a ride in the Bronco.

The irony in all of this is that IU has fired 3 coaches in the past 25 years that were markedly better coaches than the one they won't, but need, to fire today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT