ADVERTISEMENT

Crean goes off on teams stupidly declining NIT bids…

If the NCAA wants the NIT to be anything then it needs to change the transfer portal opening up until after the National Championship game. You're only talking a few weeks timeframe. I can't imagine it would be a good look to get an NIT bid, accept it and then have half your team in the portal and not playing. While it can work in Football, in basketball you just aren't that deep and who wants to put a product on the floor in the NIT going against some mid major team who has all their players and get embarrassed. That's not a good look for recruiting.

Bingo. So they got out in front of it & declined.
Is that like breaking up with a girl because you think she wouldn't marry you if you asked? If IU was in the NIT who would play? I didn't think about who would but who wouldn't. Guys like Ware and MgBako are NBA bound. Guys who are transferring would probably not play. So who would play? I would think X would play because this might be the last time he gets to play organized basketball. I bet Leal would play and Galloway would if he wasn't hurt.

He’s right. We’re telling the basketball world that we’re too good for that lousy tournament. Our record and results over the last 25+ years says otherwise. The basketball world is laughing at us right now.

It’s getting harder and harder to back this program.
They would have to notice us in order to laugh at us.

He’s right. We’re telling the basketball world that we’re too good for that lousy tournament. Our record and results over the last 25+ years says otherwise. The basketball world is laughing at us right now.

It’s getting harder and harder to back this program.
I agree on all counts.
Poor sportsmanship to turn down the invite. If our “stars” chose not to play, I would try and play with our walkons.
It would have made the university some money(no idea how much) and provided minutes for guys who were at every practice and never played.

I think IU just made a pre-emptive strike. Rejecting a bid you aren't getting is the lesser of two evils...compared to being dissed with no offer. I think the university saw that as a way of saving face...in the course of an otherwise disaster of a program. And IU's players refusing their coach's wishes and not playing adds fuel to the fire that Woodson has lost this team. It would be one more argument to part ways with him.....and the university doesn't want to do that. They are fine with the mediocrity...as long as they get to keep some self respect, which is about the only kind they have left.

I think IU just made a pre-emptive strike. Rejecting a bid you aren't getting is the lesser of two evils...compared to being dissed with no offer. I think the university saw that as a way of saving face...in the course of an otherwise disaster of a program. And IU's players refusing their coach's wishes and not playing adds fuel to the fire that Woodson has lost this team. It would be one more argument to part ways with him.....and the university doesn't want to do that. They are fine with the mediocrity...as long as they get to keep some self respect, which is about the only kind they have left.
IU is/was getting a bid.

A they are good enough
B they deliver tickets and ratings.

You sure about that (“A”)?

These are the four teams matched up against the 1 seeds:

St Joes (by far the lowest in this group with a net of 92)
App state (net 72)
SMU (net 65)
VCU (net 71)

IU 98.
Shows the flaws in the formulas.

Now that assumed we were at full strength. With ware and Gallo out we wouldn’t do very well if we were in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT