ADVERTISEMENT

Cormani McClain

Landing a former top-15 recruit would be wild but you have to imagine he'd go somewhere closer to home in Florida. His Miami recruiter is at USF and his UF recruiter is at LSU so those are two places he could go to. I trust Cigs player appraisal with getting lower rated recruits but the 2's looked slow in the spring game and I hope as Cig raises our relevancy, our recruiting improves commensurately.

There was a DL from Wisconsin that hit the portal today that sounds interesting.

Unfortunately I doubt CCC interested. He wants to see productivity and this guy hasn't demonstrated much.

2023 Season: Played in four games, mostly on special teams ... earned his second letter

2022 Season: Played in 11 games, seeing time as a reserve OLB and on special teams … made two tackles, both coming in Wisconsin’s season-opening win over Illinois State (9/3)

2021 Season: Redshirt season ... played in 1 game, making his Badger debut in the Las Vegas Bowl vs. Arizona State

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/football/roster/t-j--bollers/12995

I'm not hand wringing on our DBs anymore. They brought in some. I think we're good.
Besides Haines is said to be a sharp DC, so you can scheme in the secondary.

Harder to scheme away power attacks. Especially past halfway in the season when everbody is banged up. Need depth then. We seem to need athletes at interior line and LB. But that's often the case I guess with many teams.

I don't care if we don't get another DB as long as we get other help.

Every response (so far) basically says “no, Cig doesn’t spend like Woody” in some way or another. It’ll be interesting to watch how things develop over the next 12-24 months on both fronts.

Every response (so far) basically says “no, Cig doesn’t spend like Woody” in some way or another. It’ll be interesting to watch how things develop over the next 12-24 months on both fronts.

What an interesting take on the responses to your post.
My take is not one response mentioned anything about money or the lack there of but more about the player would not fit with what CCC preaches, which has nothing to do with money.

My take is not one response mentioned anything about money or the lack there of but more about the player would not fit with what CCC preaches, which has nothing to do with money.
Yea. And of course Cig can’t spend like Woody right now because comparatively FB NIL is much less than Bball NIL at the moment.

That's exactly the point. Woody spends like a drunk sailor hoping the pieces fit. Cig doesn't - for a lot of reasons.

I'm not hand wringing on our DBs anymore. They brought in some. I think we're good.
Besides Haines is said to be a sharp DC, so you can scheme in the secondary.

Harder to scheme away power attacks. Especially past halfway in the season when everbody is banged up. Need depth then. We seem to need athletes at interior line and LB. But that's often the case I guess with many teams.

I don't care if we don't get another DB as long as we get other help.
Our DBs under Allen were pretty good when we had a good DL. As we lost stud DLs, our DBs got worse.

No coincidence.

According to the spring game broadcasters, Jamie Magum-Farrar was still learning the intricacies of the "stud" position & that our coaches felt he would be improved by fall practice. He is bigger & quicker than before on my eye test.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I was not surprised but actually a little disappointed they moved Jacob (edit per 94hoos). I thought he was really starting to look good at LB. But if 'stud' is DE mixed with LB, he'll be even better. I'm not worried about his job, or Kamara's.

Last edited:
That's exactly the point. Woody spends like a drunk sailor hoping the pieces fit. Cig doesn't - for a lot of reasons.
Hoping the pieces fit? Needed a true 5 after Ware's departure to the NBA. Check. Needed a true PG. Check. Needed athleticism and the ability to create their own shots at the 2. Check. Already had a 3 and a 4, coming off solid seasons. Where the bloody hell do you come up with that assessment? Can he coach them? That's a different topic. But, the portal transfer window has been a targeted success. There's not even a question.

And, honestly, would you really expect the NIL funds from our alumni and fan donor base to be more for football (losingest major college program of all time) than basketball (5 titles in a state that is all about the sport in general)? I have no doubts in Coach Cig, so developing winning momentum will only increase the football NIL coffers over time, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how we've been able to marshal up the NIL we do have for football...and to yet again buy out a bad coach, and pony up for Cig and his staff. That's pretty dang impressive coming off two horrible seasons, with only two modestly successful ones in between more horrible seasons.

Hoping the pieces fit? Needed a true 5 after Ware's departure to the NBA. Check. Needed a true PG. Check. Needed athleticism and the ability to create their own shots at the 2. Check. Already had a 3 and a 4, coming off solid seasons. Where the bloody hell do you come up with that assessment? Can he coach them? That's a different topic. But, the portal transfer window has been a targeted success. There's not even a question.

And, honestly, would you really expect the NIL funds from our alumni and fan donor base to be more for football (losingest major college program of all time) than basketball (5 titles in a state that is all about the sport in general)? I have no doubts in Coach Cig, so developing winning momentum will only increase the football NIL coffers over time, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how we've been able to marshal up the NIL we do have for football...and to yet again buy out a bad coach, and pony up for Cig and his staff. That's pretty dang impressive coming off two horrible seasons, with only two modestly successful ones in between more horrible seasons.
Now do last year and how well did those pieces fit?

This year at least he actually went and picked up some guards. So looks better on paper. Lets see how they actually fit in the fall and if Woodson can actually do something with all this talent or continue to underachieve.

Outstanding!

The issue is that IU has always followed a failed blueprint for success.
Folks may turn a blind eye to this concept but this is no longer about the past success or failure of the two respective revenue earning sports. This is all about college football driving the boat while college basketball rides shotgun.
Every single media deal, realignment, etc in TODAY’S CLIMATE, is all directed by football.
So, if you want to stay in the game, you have to invest majorly in your football program. This includes NIL. Every single school that wants to stay in the game is investing more NIL for its football programs. That’s the way of the world. Steering more financial support toward basketball over football is a recipe for failure.
It’s going to prove a failed effort if we want to remain in the sandbox and continue as a conference member.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the past failure or success of the two programs. Understand the climate. Understand where things are heading.

Even UK understands this and they are a true blueblood who pays both their men’s head coaches top dollar and invests heavily in football to the tune of 9-10 win seasons.
Everybody understands that football at IU has been dismal but to simply discard it from a support perspective is going to end up putting IU in a world of hurt for both programs.

The issue is that IU has always followed a failed blueprint for success.
Folks may turn a blind eye to this concept but this is no longer about the past success or failure of the two respective revenue earning sports. This is all about college football driving the boat while college basketball rides shotgun.
Every single media deal, realignment, etc in TODAY’S CLIMATE, is all directed by football.
So, if you want to stay in the game, you have to invest majorly in your football program. This includes NIL. Every single school that wants to stay in the game is investing more NIL for its football programs. That’s the way of the world. Steering more financial support toward basketball over football is a recipe for failure.
It’s going to prove a failed effort if we want to remain in the sandbox and continue as a conference member.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the past failure or success of the two programs. Understand the climate. Understand where things are heading.

Even UK understands this and they are a true blueblood who pays both their men’s head coaches top dollar and invests heavily in football to the tune of 9-10 win seasons.
Everybody understands that football at IU has been dismal but to simply discard it from a support perspective is going to end up putting IU in a world of hurt for both programs.
It does seem like we are trying with FB and acknowledge its financial importance to the athletic dept. FB NIL is higher than it was, but still a little short of mid-pack B1G teams, with mid-pack being a realistic goal for us. While it would be great to have more NIL now, hopefully some on field success can help increase it.

Others probably have better insight, but I’m optimistic we are taking some positive steps with FB, because it is very important to the athletic dept. and can help all the other sports.

Last edited:
Now do last year and how well did those pieces fit?

This year at least he actually went and picked up some guards. So looks better on paper. Lets see how they actually fit in the fall and if Woodson can actually do something with all this talent or continue to underachieve.
The post I responded to was talking about spending like a drunken sailor THIS year with no idea how the pieces fit. No one's talking about last year's portal, which could hardly be described as spending like a drunken sailor. Their only big addition was Ware, who had an impact. They sorely lacked guards and shooters overall, and paid the price. Hence, this year, the "pieces". This year. And the money (whatever it actually was) was strategically spent. You can't say that there wasn't a plan, and that it doesn't address the needs. That was the only point I made. If you read, I didn't say anything about coaching. That does still remain to be seen.

The post I responded to was talking about spending like a drunken sailor THIS year with no idea how the pieces fit. No one's talking about last year's portal, which could hardly be described as spending like a drunken sailor. Their only big addition was Ware, who had an impact. They sorely lacked guards and shooters overall, and paid the price. Hence, this year, the "pieces". This year. And the money (whatever it actually was) was strategically spent. You can't say that there wasn't a plan, and that it doesn't address the needs. That was the only point I made. If you read, I didn't say anything about coaching. That does still remain to be seen.
So you have clear doubts about the actual coaching, but blind faith that those same coaches were savvy enough to purchase pieces that will mesh into a beautifully cohesive team? The positions appear to fit the needs. Guess we’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT