ADVERTISEMENT

Cor blimey! It's bleedin' election day!

I heard a talking head this morning say that Britain proves whenever a right-wing populist faces off against a left-wing populist, the right always wins. I haven't taken the time to fully consider that in historical context. We know it was true in places like Germany, Italy, and Argentina. But just because I'm not thinking of the counters doesn't mean they don't exist. But if that is a truism, it does make Bernie and probably Warren dangerous choices.

I think I would turn the Overton Window (below) on its side with conservative running right and liberal running left. My speculation is that the window is more condensed on the left than the right. People tend to resist change, so the argument of status quo or of returning to "the good old days" probably has a wider part of the window than the brave new world. Britain's election was a major repudiation of a badly flawed leader, but also a strike against the brave new world. Brexit is a retrenchment to the good old days. Corbyn was a bad leader to run against Brexit in that he opposes the EU as just another capitalist tool. The problem for Britain is she will never return to empire and I'm not sure entrenchment works any more. Brexit may be Britain's Maginot Line.

220px-Overton_Window_diagram.svg.png
How about “Returning to the good old days“ having right and left flavors? Many heretofore D voters want to return to the good old days of powerful union jobs, ruined by right to work laws of conservatives*. But these guys flipped to Trump, obliviously not realizing that right to work, a conservative phenomenon, is what ruined in part union jobs.

* Among other factors.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
How about “Returning to the good old days“ having right and left flavors? Many heretofore D voters want to return to the good old days of powerful union jobs, ruined by right to work laws of conservatives*. But these guys flipped to Trump, obliviously not realizing that right to work, a conservative phenomenon, is what ruined in part union jobs.

* Among other factors.

Conservatives actively work to destroy unions. Conservatives started the free trade movement they now decry (at least the current GOP conservatives as opposed to Aloha and 20). Conservatives push for tax cuts for billionaires but stick in 3 rounds of tax increases for middle class. Yet they want to be seen as for the little guy. And somehow it works.

Conservatives actively work to destroy unions. Conservatives started the free trade movement they now decry (at least the current GOP conservatives as opposed to Aloha and 20). Conservatives push for tax cuts for billionaires but stick in 3 rounds of tax increases for middle class. Yet they want to be seen as for the little guy. And somehow it works.
Liberal litmus test issues:

Guns (rural voters in general)
Immigration (white blue collar voters)
Abortion (evangelicals)
Taxes and spending (all voters with businesses or decent incomes)

I heard a Scottish leader say that when they voted for independence, the UK told Scotland the UK would block Scotland from joining the EU. Being a member of the EU is important to Scotland and that made a difference.

If a deal is not worked out, I can see Scotland pushing independence again. Losing Scotland and a no deal exit would be a high price to pay to appeal to some nationalists.
I could see that scenario regarding Scotland.
Reuters Business: "Euro Zone producer prices up in October, unemployment falls to 8.4%."
This 8.4 number is bogus. Real EU unemployment is over 20%

"Google employees form workers' union in United States"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT