ADVERTISEMENT

Contagion on this Board

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
What's the deal with so many on this board? IU pitches a shut out, plays tons of 2nd & 3rd string players and likely didn't use every play possible in advance of Michigan game, and yet the naysayers still come out.

Look at the Michigan thread, enjoying seeing them down at home vs. MSU, playing at night, hopefully getting much more nicked up or pushed hard than we did today (which is a good thing for IU) and posters start going into the:
-Our team has issues, coaching issues, should have scored more, no way we can beat either UM or MSU, etc.

People: EVERY WEEK IS A DIFFERENT GAME!

Teams have different injuries, teams have different energy on different days, maybe a great game plan by coaches, or maybe not a great week of practice. Fans rowdy. Someone playing out of their mind that week, teams play up to talent they are playing or sometimes down to lower team's level.

In my positive, optimistic view of this team, IU could win ANY remaining game this season. I didn't say "will win for sure" but I don't think they are in a no chance position. Hell, if we were playing OSU later in season I'd have felt better. Had we not peed the bed in 1st quarter, allowing PSU to then play in a different style, the last 3 quarters were 17-14 and we did an amazing job on S. Barkley (did you see what he did to Iowa on their home turf the week before?)

I'm not on premium pay board, but maybe it's a case of "you get what you pay for" with all the negativity on this board still, a mere 5 games into Allen's tenure, with a currently winning record and two losses to two top 5 nationally ranked teams.

Please, if you are so negative, so down on IU, so believing it's not possible to have the breakthrough, could you just not post here or go on twitter or start a "Disgusted with Glass and his bad hire decisions and overall state of IU" Facebook page where you guys can all congregate?

This board should be a place where people who are true fans, who want to be supportive, can certainly voice concerns or ask questions after games, but at the end of the day, accept that Tom Allen is the coach, with this current staff and this current roster, and they are not making excuses or acting afraid of playing anyone in the B10, but no guarantees they are going to have a great year, but I will bet they are going to continue hustling and playing hard, and I feel very good that they will again go bowling.

Think before you post, of the old motto: "If you don't have something nice to say..." at least reconsider hitting post if you are going to be just negative nellie on this board.

What's the deal with so many on this board? IU pitches a shut out, plays tons of 2nd & 3rd string players and likely didn't use every play possible in advance of Michigan game, and yet the naysayers still come out.

Look at the Michigan thread, enjoying seeing them down at home vs. MSU, playing at night, hopefully getting much more nicked up or pushed hard than we did today (which is a good thing for IU) and posters start going into the:
-Our team has issues, coaching issues, should have scored more, no way we can beat either UM or MSU, etc.

Teams have different injuries, teams have different energy on different days, maybe a great game plan by coaches, or maybe not a great week of practice. Fans rowdy. Someone playing out of their mind that week, teams play up to talent they are playing or sometimes down to lower team's level.

In my positive, optimistic view of this team, IU could win ANY remaining game this season. I didn't say "will win for sure" but I don't think they are in a no chance position. Hell, if we were playing OSU later in season I'd have felt better. Had we not peed the bed in 1st quarter, allowing PSU to then play in a different style, the last 3 quarters were 17-14 and we did an amazing job on S. Barkley (did you see what he did to Iowa on their home turf the week before?)

I'm not on premium pay board, but maybe it's a case of "you get what you pay for" with all the negativity on this board still, a mere 5 games into Allen's tenure, with a currently winning record and two losses to two top 5 nationally ranked teams.

Please, if you are so negative, so down on IU, so believing it's not possible to have the breakthrough, could you just not post here or go on twitter or start a "Disgusted with Glass and his bad hire decisions and overall state of IU" Facebook page where you guys can all congregate?

This board should be a place where people who are true fans, who want to be supportive, can certainly voice concerns or ask questions after games, but at the end of the day, accept that Tom Allen is the coach, with this current staff and this current roster, and they are not making excuses or acting afraid of playing anyone in the B10, but no guarantees they are going to have a great year, but I will bet they are going to continue hustling and playing hard, and I feel very good that they will again go bowling.

Think before you post, of the old motto: "If you don't have something nice to say..." at least reconsider hitting post if you are going to be just negative nellie on this board.
We have a lot of dumb fans. People predict 7-5 or 8-4 as the best case scenario, and then get apoplectic when we actually lose a game, which is mind-bogglingly stupid.

A lot of people seemingly have the complete inability to criticize and express concern without immediately jumping to the season being over. They also seem to not watch any other football games and realize that a lot of teams have the exact same issues. We have people here stating that Ramsey is not a B1G level quarterback despite the fact that in his first start, he put up ridiculous numbers. And that he's been accurate all year, including on the road against an ACC team who is 4-1. I don't care who the opponent is, the kid can play. We held out a bunch of players, and dominated like we should. We hadn't had a shut out in 24 years, and that includes a lot of FCS teams.

You'll also notice that there are several posters that only show up when we lose. That says a lot.

Some of us want to talk about both the good and the bad, the challenges as well as the successes, and want to do so with a technical focus. No issues if you only want to see the good stuff as well as not being able to discuss the technical side of the game. If all you want to do is whine and complain because people don't discuss it the way you want them to, you should find another forum. You'll be happier.

We have a lot of dumb fans. People predict 7-5 or 8-4 as the best case scenario, and then get apoplectic when we actually lose a game, which is mind-bogglingly stupid.

A lot of people seemingly have the complete inability to criticize and express concern without immediately jumping to the season being over. They also seem to not watch any other football games and realize that a lot of teams have the exact same issues. We have people here stating that Ramsey is not a B1G level quarterback despite the fact that in his first start, he put up ridiculous numbers. And that he's been accurate all year, including on the road against an ACC team who is 4-1. I don't care who the opponent is, the kid can play. We held out a bunch of players, and dominated like we should. We hadn't had a shut out in 24 years, and that includes a lot of FCS teams.

You'll also notice that there are several posters that only show up when we lose. That says a lot.
Posters like you, who have a need to tell everyone what they should say, are bad for this place. And, as long as we're keeping score, you're easily the subset poster here. Please just leave.

Some of us want to talk about both the good and the bad, the challenges as well as the successes, and want to do so with a technical focus. No issues if you only want to see the good stuff as well as not being able to discuss the technical side of the game. If all you want to do is whine and complain because people don't discuss it the way you want them to, you should find another forum. You'll be happier.

Can you name some specific positives you see in the first 5 games? I may have missed that in some of your posts. I think most fans try to remain positive while realizing there is work to do.

Y

You're one of those "think I'm a coach, hence I'm smarter than most and condescending to those who don't know as much"...blah blah blah whatever dude. If you're not a coach, you're a fan, don't take yourself so seriously.

I did not say there can't be questioning or criticism, especially if warranted. I'm not saying people can't give fair analysis or point out issues. I do it as well.

But after a win, look at the sampling of posts in ONE STRING after a win:
-I think it should've been able to score more than 27 points against today's opponent.

-Unless Michigan turns it over, it's hard to see IU being able to move the ball consistently or score many points.

-Where's the explosive plays that we were known for under Wilson?

-Mike Debord is the Bill Lynch of OCs. Golly Gee.

-Have to give Allen time. He went to a trusted friend at OC. We'll get someone better eventually.

-because they can't run it consistently, play action doesn't work very well.

-Already having nightmares of Ellison running into a brick wall every time he touches the ball.

-IU football fans had to give Mallory time, had to give Cameron time, had to give Wilson a ton of time, jeez, we want it now for once!!

-Unfortunately guys, this may be a 5-7 season.

-Inexperience plus a very modest talent level is tough for any coach or team to overcome.

-You have to give bad coaches "time." A good coach gets to work and produces results immediately.

So yeah, Mr. Analyst Guy, I find the above to be negative and ridiculous, not such astute feedback.

IU won, had a shutout, played a lot of subs, did not open up the playbook all the way, were playing an FBS team that it's tempting to play down to, and were able to get rested prior to next week's game vs. UM, who is still playing now at 10:55pm, losing and may set up IU for a great upset opportunity.

Much of the above is not "technical analysis" and judging a coach who took over about a month before recruits had to sign last year and 5 games into the season, is definitely the ultimate in short-term mentality.

You can have your views and I'll share mine. Yours does not have any more weight than anyone else. And FYI, this is the IU Football Board to talk about Indiana Football. It's not the IU Technical Analysis page. You can go to Punt John Punt if you want to get into the weeds to satisfy your deep level of FB knowledge.

Reactions: iu2win and 76-1
Can you name some specific positives you see in the first 5 games? I may have missed that in some of your posts. I think most fans try to remain positive while realizing there is work to do.
You have missed it (and you're obviously being insincere here), since I've mentioned a number of positives. First of all, they're 3-2 which, given their opponents, is where they should be. Secondly, turnovers are way down, and that's always a good sign. The kicking game seems to be much improved, as well. And I think the D line, which is modestly talented, has competed very well. In fact, I think the entire team plays really hard. So, there you go.

Unlike you, however, I'm not willing to pretend that everything is perfect, and I make no apologies for focusing on the technical aspects of the game that you don't choose or aren't able to discuss. The O line isn't very talented or physical, and the offense has suffered as a result. IU lacks explosiveness on offense, and that continues to make them much easier to defend. Quarterback play is modest and likely doesn't give them much of a chance to compete with any of the good BiG teams. And recruiting so far, relative to the rest of the BiG, is a struggle.

In the end, you and several other posters want only happy talk, and you're not happy unless you get everyone to go with you on that. When they don't, you whine and complain and generally bitch about anyone who doesn't toe your line. It's why this board isn't a particularly good place to talk IU football.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Y

You're one of those "think I'm a coach, hence I'm smarter than most and condescending to those who don't know as much"...blah blah blah whatever dude. If you're not a coach, you're a fan, don't take yourself so seriously.

I did not say there can't be questioning or criticism, especially if warranted. I'm not saying people can't give fair analysis or point out issues. I do it as well.

-I think it should've been able to score more than 27 points against today's opponent.

-Unless Michigan turns it over, it's hard to see IU being able to move the ball consistently or score many points.

-Have to give Allen time. He went to a trusted friend at OC. We'll get someone better eventually.

-Already having nightmares of Ellison running into a brick wall every time he touches the ball.

-IU football fans had to give Mallory time, had to give Cameron time, had to give Wilson a ton of time, jeez, we want it now for once!!

-Inexperience plus a very modest talent level is tough for any coach or team to overcome.

-You have to give bad coaches "time." A good coach gets to work and produces results immediately.

So yeah, Mr. Analyst Guy, I find the above to be negative and ridiculous, not such astute feedback.

IU won, had a shutout, played a lot of subs, did not open up the playbook all the way, were playing an FBS team that it's tempting to play down to, and were able to get rested prior to next week's game vs. UM, who is still playing now at 10:55pm, losing and may set up IU for a great upset opportunity.

Much of the above is not "technical analysis" and judging a coach who took over about a month before recruits had to sign last year and 5 games into the season, is definitely the ultimate in short-term mentality.

You can have your views and I'll share mine. Yours does not have any more weight than anyone else. And FYI, this is the IU Football Board to talk about Indiana Football. It's not the IU Technical Analysis page. You can go to Punt John Punt if you want to get into the weeds to satisfy your deep level of FB knowledge.
In other words, you want to tell everyone what they should and shouldn't say, and those who don't follow should go elsewhere or you'll continue to bitch and whine and complain. Sorry if I don't have much time to indulge your tantrum.

You have missed it (and you're obviously being insincere here), since I've mentioned a number of positives. First of all, they're 3-2 which, given their opponents, is where they should be. Secondly, turnovers are way down, and that's always a good sign. The kicking game seems to be much improved, as well. And I think the D line, which is modestly talented, has competed very well. In fact, I think the entire team plays really hard. So, there you go.

Unlike you, however, I'm not willing to pretend that everything is perfect, and I make no apologies for focusing on the technical aspects of the game that you don't choose or aren't able to discuss. The O line isn't very talented or physical, and the offense has suffered as a result. IU lacks explosiveness on offense, and that continues to make them much easier to defend. Quarterback play is modest and likely doesn't give them much of a chance to compete with any of the good BiG teams. And recruiting so far, relative to the rest of the BiG, is a struggle.

In the end, you and several other posters want only happy talk, and you're not happy unless you get everyone to go with you on that. When they don't, you whine and complain and generally bitch about anyone who doesn't toe your line. It's why this board isn't a particularly good place to talk IU football.

I didn't ask you for your negatives. I simply asked for your positives. Your need to qualify your first paragraph wasn't what I asked for. Why did you feel compelled to offer that?

I get carried away with the negativity I admit. I have to remember that Penn State and Ohio State are very good and have blown out a lot of teams this year.

Reactions: 82hoosier and RBB89
After 5 games we are 3 - 2 right where most IU fans would have expected us to be at this point at the beginning of the season. We apparently used this games to rest some injured players, and get our new qb some game experience. Good seasonal management I would think. We do need some more rushing output and it won't be easy next week but it won't be impossible either. Let's go give Michigan two in a row.

nomura-brexit-will-cause-widespread-contagion-in-asia.jpg

Required attire for future posting on the IU Rivals boards.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
I didn't ask you for your negatives. I simply asked for your positives. Your need to qualify your first paragraph wasn't what I asked for. Why did you feel compelled to offer that?
Because your entire request was so incredibly insincere. You and a few others aren't happy unless everyone echoes your all happy, all the time demand for the board. Please don't pretend otherwise.

My issue is that I am a scorned IUFB fan. I've lived through the Michigan 4th quarter letdowns. The dropped TD pass against Iowa. The pick 6 off the Iowa players helmet. Missed bowl game field goals. Blown leads against Northwestern. Last 2nd wins by Ball State and Bowling Green. The list goes on. I've constantly asked myself, "when will the sun finally shine on us?"

Gotta love the Contagion photos...well done!

And to the negative nellies, No, I do not demand just happy talk. You can keep saying that if it makes you feel better, but if you read the string I copied/pasted from one post string, that wasn't "constructive discussion" it was of the "Allen or Deboard can't coach, it's not like Wilson days, we'll be lucky to run a yard, looking at 5-7 folks" ilk.

That seems more intellectually lazy negativity than good fair discussions.

But I've posted questioning how people feel about certain coaches, decisions made and right after the last game, I said it was time to go with Ramsey as #1, which was in a sense "challenging" the prior coaching decisions to rotate.

Fair questions and challenging things are always fine. Living in the past, overly negative (seemingly for point of doing so) is more annoying and just raises questions "why are you still posting given your feelings?"

That's it for me. Love the Contagion humorous pic, still very excited about what Allen is aspiring to do, the effort of the team, and feel like IU has a chance to win any of last games of year, but no, not guaranteeing anything!

If our anemic running game that was obvious against a very weak team doesn't throw up a red flag then you are just a homer fan. The o-line is so poor that I doubt any rb would have success running behind them. The D was good today but how can you gauge the level of play when your opponent is as bad as CSU?
This was a feel good game for the homers and for those that look into it deeper than the cheerleader types on here do, it was obvious that huge improvements are necessary to compete in the B1G.

In other words, you want to tell everyone what they should and shouldn't say, and those who don't follow should go elsewhere or you'll continue to bitch and whine and complain. Sorry if I don't have much time to indulge your tantrum.
Did I get trapped in some cosmic time-warp and get transported back to last year's Bball forum?

Last edited:
If our anemic running game that was obvious against a very weak team doesn't throw up a red flag then you are just a homer fan. The o-line is so poor that I doubt any rb would have success running behind them. The D was good today but how can you gauge the level of play when your opponent is as bad as CSU?
This was a feel good game for the homers and for those that look into it deeper than the cheerleader types on here do, it was obvious that huge improvements are necessary to compete in the B1G.

We aren't in the upper echelon but I believe we can compete with and beat the middle and lower tier teams in the conference.

Reactions: ORG
Gotta love the Contagion photos...well done!

And to the negative nellies, No, I do not demand just happy talk. You can keep saying that if it makes you feel better, but if you read the string I copied/pasted from one post string, that wasn't "constructive discussion" it was of the "Allen or Deboard can't coach, it's not like Wilson days, we'll be lucky to run a yard, looking at 5-7 folks" ilk.

That seems more intellectually lazy negativity than good fair discussions.

But I've posted questioning how people feel about certain coaches, decisions made and right after the last game, I said it was time to go with Ramsey as #1, which was in a sense "challenging" the prior coaching decisions to rotate.

Fair questions and challenging things are always fine. Living in the past, overly negative (seemingly for point of doing so) is more annoying and just raises questions "why are you still posting given your feelings?"

That's it for me. Love the Contagion humorous pic, still very excited about what Allen is aspiring to do, the effort of the team, and feel like IU has a chance to win any of last games of year, but no, not guaranteeing anything!

Outbreak, actually. Same genre.

Y

And FYI, this is the IU Football Board to talk about Indiana Football. It's not the IU Technical Analysis page. You can go to Punt John Punt if you want to get into the weeds to satisfy your deep level of FB knowledge.

Does this mean you just want to talk about feelings and not fact based analysis?

Y

You know if you disagree with someone you can just reply to their post and state where you disagree and why. To complain about people posting their opinion on a message board is kinda weird.

"...talk about feelings"? What does that even mean?

I feel you might be here just to troll.

He is saying that if you dont talk about the technical side of where things went wrong or right then what really are you discussing? As you are an emotional thinker, rather than a logical/rational/fact based thinker, I can see where you cannot see the difference.

I personally enjoy having different perspectives. Unfortunately there is one cancer on the board that most have on ignore at this point due to his know it all attitude, personal attacks, and often plagerized technical commentary on the game.

Because your entire request was so incredibly insincere. You and a few others aren't happy unless everyone echoes your all happy, all the time demand for the board. Please don't pretend otherwise.

So what would make you happy? Getting Alford in as a basketball coach and blowing up the football program? Getting Fred Glass a one way ticket out of town? You are a miserbale prick and should be treated as such.

No – this was not a feel good game by any stretch of the imagination but I thought the coaches did a good job resting guys and not playing this game like it was the super bowl. Too many turnovers, even taking into account the weather.
But there is an aspect to college football that it just seems like a lot of folks here don’t want to accept and that is (for schools other than Alabama, Ohio State, etc.) there is a huge difference between being “young” and “not very good”. A few years ago it didn’t matter if our defense was experienced or not we were just “not very good” (aka – awful). This offense is young – but they are pretty good for their overall level of experience and will be a whole lot better next year. You just have to accept the fact that underclassmen have to develop and play and will get beat sometimes. seems pretty obvious

I'm just curious: Can I continue to post here if I think a breakthrough is unlikely, but the season will still be what we have come to call successful? Can I continue to post here if I think the season will end up 6-6 and fourth place in the division and that's the very best season we can reasonably expect? Can I continue to post here if I am NOT tired of Fred Glass? Can I continue to post here if I think FG has made some good hires and that Tom Allen will likely go down in IU history as ranking among them? Can I continue to post here if I think wins against teams like O$U, P$U and Meatchicken will come during some season -- but probably not this season?
I suppose if you were to ask me if the IU football glass is half full or half empty, I'd say there is water up to the mid-point and only air in the rest of it.
So, whaddya say, guys and gals? Can I stick around?

I'm just curious: Can I continue to post here if I think a breakthrough is unlikely, but the season will still be what we have come to call successful? Can I continue to post here if I think the season will end up 6-6 and fourth place in the division and that's the very best season we can reasonably expect? Can I continue to post here if I am NOT tired of Fred Glass? Can I continue to post here if I think FG has made some good hires and that Tom Allen will likely go down in IU history as ranking among them? Can I continue to post here if I think wins against teams like O$U, P$U and Meatchicken will come during some season -- but probably not this season?
I suppose if you were to ask me if the IU football glass is half full or half empty, I'd say there is water up to the mid-point and only air in the rest of it.

Absolutely. Most of the posters here are generally optimistic but objective, don't let the few trolls get you down.

Please do, what is very ironic are certain posters whining about others being intolerant of any view but the “happy” one. Yet those same posters are completely intolerant of anyone who has anything positive to say, pot meet kettle.

Please do, what is very ironic are certain posters whining about others being intolerant of any view but the “happy” one. Yet those same posters are completely intolerant of anyone who has anything positive to say, pot meet kettle.
Again, thank you. And I will try to avoid being intolerant of intolerant fans while I'm here. I may just scroll over their posts, though.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
As far as a feel good game. I feel good about Ramsey. I feel good about Taysir Mack. I feel good about our defense. Not all is a total loss. We need to make improvements especially on the offensive line if we want to win.

He is saying that if you dont talk about the technical side of where things went wrong or right then what really are you discussing? As you are an emotional thinker, rather than a logical/rational/fact based thinker, I can see where you cannot see the difference.
Coming from you, this is hilarious since your only "contribution" to the board so far this season has been a rant about a female TV announcer. Classic.

We ran for like 190 yards last week against Penn State and allowed 1 sack. We held out a couple of OL yesterday and shuffled the entire right side of our line. The defense has been good for a year and a half.

Does CSU suck? Yes. But you seem genuinely upset that we won the game. We haven't shut anyone out in 24 years, and that includes several FCS teams. We dominated like we were supposed to, and Ramsey did pretty much anything he wanted until the monsoon started.

Last edited:
Y

Wait, what? I was with you until the last paragraph. Why exactly can we not talk about advanced statistics about IU football on an IU football board?

Newsflash It isnt all roses 27-0 or NOT. Wanna know what my problem is?

7 fumbles in 2 weeks!!!! That's unacceptable! 4 fumbles yesterday. If we continue turning the ball over like that against Big10 competition we wont win another game. They had better start getting the turnover issue fixed in a hurry. You would have thought after the psu game that would have been the focus this past week. I have no idea why we are so careless with the ball all of the sudden but its a major problem!

EDIT just checked the stats. We are 122nd in turnover margin out of 129 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT