ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment over the weekend: Hogan Denny

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I am blessed and excited to announce my commitment to Indiana University. I want to thank God and my family for the help. I want to give a big thanks to all of my coaches who have helped me along the way. Thank you to Coach Mercer and the rest of the IU staff for the opportunity. <a href="https://t.co/o2KpIkLLP4">pic.twitter.com/o2KpIkLLP4</a></p>&mdash; Hogan Denny (@HoganDenny3) <a href="">August 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A ways off but good news IMO.

Looking at Perfectgame recruiting this would put us with a catcher in each class from 21-24. For some reason we have had a hard time getting and keeping catchers so that we had at least 2 serviceable ones per season. Catcher is the most important “everyday” player, but the wear and tear of the position does not favor catching every game.

As far as we know right now we added a SR transfer from Rutgers with stats that suggest a secondary role would be ideal and a true freshman who would appear to be best served by a red-shirt year. IMO if Drew Ashley returns, and I expect he will, he would be our best all round answer for the position, even though it would not be his best.

Hoping for some fall ball surprises to build my hopes for 22.

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich

Looking at Perfectgame recruiting this would put us with a catcher in each class from 21-24. For some reason we have had a hard time getting and keeping catchers so that we had at least 2 serviceable ones per season. Catcher is the most important “everyday” player, but the wear and tear of the position does not favor catching every game.

As far as we know right now we added a SR transfer from Rutgers with stats that suggest a secondary role would be ideal and a true freshman who would appear to be best served by a red-shirt year. IMO if Drew Ashley returns, and I expect he will, he would be our best all round answer for the position, even though it would not be his best.

It’s about how you manage your catchers. Most high level teams give their 2nd catcher some games/innings early in the year or during midweeks to save some wear and tear, but come conference time you need your everyday guy.

Controlling the run game, and understanding scouting reports (especially an experienced catcher) at this level are vital for success. IU hasn’t been high level at that position since probably Ryan Fineman.

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
It’s about how you manage your catchers. Most high level teams give their 2nd catcher some games/innings early in the year or during midweeks to save some wear and tear, but come conference time you need your everyday guy.

Controlling the run game, and understanding scouting reports (especially an experienced catcher) at this level are vital for success. IU hasn’t been high level at that position since probably Ryan Fineman.
For sure, unfortunately the past two seasons have not been conducive to bringing along young catchers. Going back well into Coach Smith’s time Jake Matheny with Coach Lemonis is only example where a freshman was used extensively and that didn’t lead to a year to year progression at the position for whatever reason.

Assuming the 2022 catchers will come from Ashley, Serruto, & Tibbitts, I hope Tibbitts gets some PT in out of conference early season and mid-week games in the coming season. If he isn’t ready to take over in 23 we are back to looking for a JC or transfer.

Reactions: ptrich and mk23

I absolutely hate the idea of playing Ashley behind the plate. Although I’m sure he’d do a fair job, I think his speed is too valuable in the outfield and on the bases. Just feels like most catchers take such a beating they lose a step or so. We aren’t blessed with a bunch of blazers either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT