ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Allen, I’m a Help Ya Out

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
You say too many words.

Example - when asked about using 2 QB’s against Michigan, the proper answer was “It didn’t matter who we played at QB today. Michigan said “no.” They are the best team in the country, and we were 50 players away from sustaining drives and scoring touchdowns. We gave both our guys a chance to try and to learn, and both will better off the rest of the year for playing today.”

Coach, do you think playing 2 hurt their rythym?

“It didn’t matter who we played at QB today. Michigan said “no.” They are the best team in the country, and we were 50 players away from sustaining drives and scoring touchdowns. We gave both our guys a chance to try and to learn, and both will better off the rest of the year for playing today.”

Coach, what about …

“It didn’t matter who we played at QB today. Michigan said “no.” They are the best team in the country, and we were 50 players away from sustaining drives and scoring touchdowns. We gave both our guys a chance to try and to learn, and both will better off the rest of the year for playing today.”

Fewer words. More reality.

Yes both QBs has TOs … neither had a lot of rhythm … lost the magic in the 2nd quarter … 50 players is harsh … I’d settle for the Fordam seven blocks of granite. One of which was Vince Lombardi.

You say too many words.

Example - when asked about using 2 QB’s against Michigan, the proper answer was “It didn’t matter who we played at QB today. Michigan said “no.” They are the best team in the country, and we were 50 players away from sustaining drives and scoring touchdowns. We gave both our guys a chance to try and to learn, and both will better off the rest of the year for playing today.”

Coach, do you think playing 2 hurt their rythym?

Coach, what about …

Fewer words. More reality.
If he would have answered that way - You would have complained about him repeating himself over and over

Here’s the thing about the head coach publicly degrading his own players and saying they’re inferior to the guys on the other team: They don’t tend to want to play for a coach like that.

Reactions: IUAndy
If he would have answered that way - You would have complained about him repeating himself over and over
You’re pretty wrong about that. You must not read my stuff much. You a newbie here? You a newbie to football? Do you ever listen to Coach Allen in any press conference of any kind? Mostly he babbles. Ask him what time it is, and he’ll start with “I was born in a log cabin.“ Too many words. Unfocused. That lack of focus shows in the way we play and the way we make decisions during crunch time game time situations. He needs to focus. Sometimes the best answer to a question is “yes“ or “no” - not a two or three minute answer that tries to explain a six month decision timeline. Focus. Task.

Sure, he’s a great guy. But he needs to focus. He needs to put his emotion in check and make better decisions at every level of our football program, from recruit evaluation to whether to punt.

You’re pretty wrong about that. You must not read my stuff much. You a newbie here? You a newbie to football? Do you ever listen to Coach Allen in any press conference of any kind? Mostly he babbles. Ask him what time it is, and he’ll start with “I was born in a log cabin.“ Too many words. Unfocused. That lack of focus shows in the way we play and the way we make decisions during crunch time game time situations. He needs to focus. Sometimes the best answer to a question is “yes“ or “no” - not a two or three minute answer that tries to explain a six month decision timeline. Focus. Task.

Sure, he’s a great guy. But he needs to focus. He needs to put his emotion in check and make better decisions at every level of our football program, from recruit evaluation to whether to punt.
I'm to the point I don't even listen to him anymore. He's so scattered and unintelligible it just annoys the hell out of me.

Geez, calm down, take a deep breath, and think about what you're going to say.

I'm to the point I don't even listen to him anymore. He's so scattered and unintelligible it just annoys the hell out of me.

Geez, calm down, take a deep breath, and think about what you're going to say.
Plus, this specific week is MOSTLY about fixing the psyche of a team - not with “rah Rah” but with “HERE is EXACTLY what we can do well and EXACTLY how we can beat Rutgers.”

EXACTNESS. Not stream of emotional consciousness and yukking it up with Fisher.

Explaining how hard we try and what great guys we have get us nothing.

We have bottomed out. Time to fight.

You are so wrong about me! Season tickets since 1964 (less 3 yrs in US Army). Have probably not missed 6 home games in those 56 yrs. Long time supporter of IU financially.
Been on this board a long time

Plus, this specific week is MOSTLY about fixing the psyche of a team - not with “rah Rah” but with “HERE is EXACTLY what we can do well and EXACTLY how we can beat Rutgers.”

EXACTNESS. Not stream of emotional consciousness and yukking it up with Fisher.

Explaining how hard we try and what great guys we have get us nothing.

We have bottomed out. Time to fight.
I said before the game I hope they didn't play Dexter in the game, because whoever played QB had no chance. I'm glad Dex wasn't thrown to the wolves.

I still think Sorsby looks like the better of the two, but if Dex is ready, play him. Or Lowry. I don't care - try whatever works.

This sticking with 1 QB when they're obviously not effective, doesn't make sense to me. Jackson hasn't shown me anything at all in the way of moving and running the ball. He's OK when he has time to throw or on a quick timing route (although his accuracy comes and goes).

Sorsby can move and looks like a lot stronger runner and has at least as effective an arm. If we're going with 1 QB (which Allen, I think, stated he was going with 1 QB), I think Sorsby is the man.

Dexter is the wild card. I think (hope) that they were holding him back until we can get into the winnable part of our schedule to turn him loose. I think that's why Bell's offense threw in that crazy run option, even though Jackson can't run it and Sorsby is not much more effective - I think it's in there for when Dexter plays. But that may be wishful thinking on my part.

I agree it's nut-cutting time. Allen needs to tell the team it's now or never to prove yourself. How we play vs Rutgers is what we are. No more excuses about playing powerhouses or barely squeaking by an Akron. What we see Saturday is what we are, imo.

You are so wrong about me! Season tickets since 1964 (less 3 yrs in US Army). Have probably not missed 6 home games in those 56 yrs. Long time supporter of IU financially.
Been on this board a long time
#metoo

which is why I rarely criticize players or coaches, and would not have been negative if Coach Allen had repeated my accurate and recommended statement to repeated reporter questions about our QB situation

The word salad is a symptom. Speaking from experience, he’s doing what deeply insecure people concerned with image do.

I think there’s a nonzero chance he resigns at the end of the season for health reasons.

The word salad is a symptom. Speaking from experience, he’s doing what deeply insecure people concerned with image do.

I think there’s a nonzero chance he resigns at the end of the season for health reasons.
It wouldn't surprise me, but nobody walks away from $20 million. It can't be good for his mental health to keep going through this. If nothing else, Allen is a man who cares deeply about his team, and takes their performance personally.

The best we could hope for is he negotiates it down and amortizes it over 30 years or some such thing.

I'm still not counting him out yet, with at least 4 winnable games left.

It wouldn't surprise me, but nobody walks away from $20 million. It can't be good for his mental health to keep going through this. If nothing else, Allen is a man who cares deeply about his team, and takes their performance personally.

The best we could hope for is he negotiates it down and amortizes it over 30 years or some such thing.

Careful. Some of the resident contract law experts will start hurling names for suggesting such lunacy. (Like I did last week)

I'm not sure Sorsby is a faster runner than TJ but Sorsby certainly seems quicker at making the decision to run downhill with the football. TJ often waits too long to decide in which case he can't throw it away or gain yards running it.

Reactions: iulb and DANC

This was me at the start of the season, but I am afraid they just aren't showing much outside of few quarters. That first quarter got my hopes up that the game would be at least competitive but much like too many games to mention, at some point the wheels just fall off. At this point I just think CTA is the real problem. The talent isn't bad but the decision making and the discipline has been and that falls on practice and preparation. I don't like throwing people under the bus or starting rumors but a friend of mine passed this along "Just heard this from a buddy of mine who knows someone who was very close to the recruitment of a certain Indiana HS QB recruit going elsewhere. He said IU was his worst visit by a mile. Said they run practice like a middle school. Completely disorganized sh*t show." It's not year 2 under CTA. Time to say we gave him a fair shake and he gave it his best shot. He's a decent recruiter on paper but the results and the consistency is just not there. Even if he was consistently 5-7 or 6-6 I would probably be semi ok with it. But once you start getting drilled where the other team essentially has to let off the gas as to not completely embarrass you, it's time to realize something isn't working and more "time" isn't going to solve the problem. The next guy might not either, but you have to pull the plug at start fresh. I believe that time is now unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT