ADVERTISEMENT

clock management

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
at the end of the game was horrible , especially for a nba coach , 58 seconds you dont take it beolow 30 got lucky

They took their last timeout with around 43 seconds. I figured they would run a quick set play coming out of the TO to assure a 2 for 1. Maybe Illinois took the play away? We also were out of TO’s which almost cost us dearly on the in-bounds but ultimately ended in the TJD dunk to seal the game. All is well that ends well.

Reactions: ulrey and Bucktown
I didn't understand why he took time out there. Illinois was out of timeouts and IU had at least the one point lead, so icing wasn't necessary. Taking timeout gave Illinois an opportunity to set their defense/foul situation or even if they wanted to purposely miss free throw. All we did is make it so we had to get ball inbounds and then IU ran the same dumb inbounds play they always do.

Reactions: ekk and ulrey
They took their last timeout with around 43 seconds. I figured they would run a quick set play coming out of the TO to assure a 2 for 1. Maybe Illinois took the play away? We also were out of TO’s which almost cost us dearly on the in-bounds but ultimately ended in the TJD dunk to seal the game. All is well that ends well.
This.

With regard to the timing of the timeout, it’s more difficult to get into proper assignments on the press after a FT than after TO. Woodson obviously trusted his team to break an unorganized press. That trust was rewarded when both TG and TJD got wide open in an obvious scramble situation for Illinois.

AsIndc, I am even more confused with your assessment. You said Woodson trusted his team against an unorganized press which if he trusted them he wouldn't call a timeout. IU just ran the same (no screens) press breaker that have done all year long, so players should know their assignments and all you really needed to do was get ball inbounds as Illinois would have fouled you. Off a missed free throw it is the same thing get rebound and you will be fouled. The defense on the other hand benefits more by timeout because as you said it is more difficult to get into assignments without the timeout.. Even if you go with your premise then why not wait till after the 2nd free throw to call timeout. Then you know exactly what the situation is. Either way you are now putting your inbounder in a more difficult situation since he no longer has option to call timeout.

AsIndc, I am even more confused with your assessment. You said Woodson trusted his team against an unorganized press which if he trusted them he wouldn't call a timeout. IU just ran the same (no screens) press breaker that have done all year long, so players should know their assignments and all you really needed to do was get ball inbounds as Illinois would have fouled you. Off a missed free throw it is the same thing get rebound and you will be fouled. The defense on the other hand benefits more by timeout because as you said it is more difficult to get into assignments without the timeout.. Even if you go with your premise then why not wait till after the 2nd free throw to call timeout. Then you know exactly what the situation is. Either way you are now putting your inbounder in a more difficult situation since he no longer has option to call timeout.
They didn’t run the same press breaker as previous games. In the Purdue game, for instance, the 4 on-court players lined up horizontal to the inbounder, all 4 step towards him, then JHS sprints away to receive the inbounds pass.

Yesterday, the 4 lined up vertically, TG at the FT line, JHS just before half court, RT just after half court, and TJD behind RT. MK runs the baseline as TG and JHS fan out to the corners. JHS is doubled in the right corner while MK passes in to TG in the left corner. MK moves into play as JHS receives a pass under the basket from JG. At the same, RT flashes hard up to the FT line and immediately moves to his left to half court. As JHS receives the ball, TJD flashes up the left base line and then sprints back. JHS is initially doubled as he turns towards up court and then triple-teamed as TG’s defender overplays to him. TG sprints up the baseline wide open, JHS passes him, and TG passes to an even more wide open TJD for the dunk.

Two breakdowns for Illinois:
1) TG‘s defender overplaying to triple team JHS, leaving TG wide open.
2) TJD’s defender bit on TJD’s flash up the left sideline but never recovers.

Once IU got the ball In, there were always at least two players open. Illinois had no choice but to run a man-to-man press. The risk with no TOs of course is a 5-second count. In that respect, it makes no difference whether you call the TO before or after the second FT, the risk Is the same. Apparently, Woodson thought it was more important to have the players understand their roles than preserving the TO for the inbound pass. The players executed perfectly.

Last edited:
Was wondering if it would have been better for Trayce to hold on to the ball at the end instead of dunk it with that much time left. No one was near him - seemed like he may have been able to nearly the run the clock out. Or was that the right move since it put IU up 3, and therefore the best PU could have done is tie it?

Was wondering if it would have been better for Trayce to hold on to the ball at the end instead of dunk it with that much time left. No one was near him - seemed like he may have been able to nearly the run the clock out. Or was that the right move since it put IU up 3, and therefore the best PU could have done is tie it?
tough call if he could be counted on to hit free throws probably try to dribble it out.

tough call if he could be counted on to hit free throws probably try to dribble it out.
Yeah, a dunk is a sure thing and you can't lose in regulation if up 3 at that point. I can't remember if it was double bonus but if he hit 1 or zero free throws with 5 or 6 seconds left that's not a good position to be in.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, a dunk is a sure thing and you can't lose in regulation if up 3 at that point. I can't remember if it was double bonus but if he hit 1 or zero free throws with 5 or 6 seconds left that's not a good position to be in.
It would have been one and one which is scary as hell with a 1 point lead

Yep, don't overthink it... take the points for a 3pt lead and D up. I'd be fine with fouling them to avoid the 3 though, but even then you risk the ballhandler chucking a shot and refs giving them 3 FTs. You get the points on the board, you should win and at worst, you're going to OT.

Foul on a made 3 pt shot & shooter makes foul shot & you lose.,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT