ADVERTISEMENT

Chipmunks - good or bad?

PhishPhan682

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
I have little chipmunk that runs around the back all the time. Cute little guy really...

I call him chippy.

Is he going to destroy my garden? If not can you tame a chipmunk?

They can dig holes in your garden, especially to get at seeds if you are sowing directly. If he doesn't bother the garden, and you want to feed him to keep him coming around, do some research first; certain nuts and seeds are very bad for chipmunks.

I have little chipmunk that runs around the back all the time. Cute little guy really...

I call him chippy.

Little bastages. All of them. They destroyed the root systems of one of our boxwoods and a rose bush.

I call him chippy.

MrsSope just got done with planting a bunch of vinca, shasta daisies and marigolds this past weekend. This morning I saw a chipmunk sitting just outside the flower bed, and this little sucker was sitting there upright, with its front paws folded in front of him, just staring at the feast that had just been presented to him . . . this after every dadgum bulb she planted last fall disappeared over the winter . . .

. . . more on the chipmunk war in a few weeks . . . .

I call him chippy.

get

Reactions: C-$
Alvin, Simon, Theodore....bad.

Chip and Dale....as rescue rangers.....good.

Chipmunks (and Squirrels) are the reason pellet guns were invented. They can do some serious damage and they are efficient at reproducing. Frank T is right - blast them.

Last edited:
They used to damage my folks flower beds w/ their burrowing. Everyone is right. Chipmunks/ground squirrels are not a gardeners friend. My pop made good use of a Stevens .22 ..... of course you may not be in a suitable or legal locale to use such methodology. In that event, the pellet gun is your next choice.

McHoop

I call him chippy.

I know black rat snakes like to eat them. A couple years ago I had about a 5 footer eating a chipmunk right outside my front door. Unfortunately my cat got out, scared the snake, and forced it to give up it's lunch. I then had to clean up the regurgitated critter. It was lovely. So, if you have a varmint problem get some rat snakes.

Yep, at best they are benign, at worst they are a money draining pesky nuisance that damage plants, landscaping, etc... I ignore them if I'm seeing them infrequently but will shoot them with a pellet gun or live trap them if they start multiplying, which they do effectively. I wish I had more black or king snakes, as we have copperheads around here too, so a king snake is welcome in my yard!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT