ADVERTISEMENT

Chiefs fans

The NBA missed an opportunity to have started the restart at 2-3 weeks earlier and be the only major sport going in June. It could have ended over labor weekend with the Finals. Instead it started after baseball and is competing with NFL. Boring as the NFL with the huddles, commercials, and reviews, it attracts casual fans that are not locked in as much to the startegy of the game. The sport is made for TV. For the NBA, only people watching are probably laker fans. Others who may tune in probably don't want to hear Lebron dumb crappy political opinions. Luka Doncic is now the TV/fan darling of the NBA.

The NBA missed an opportunity to have started the restart at 2-3 weeks earlier and be the only major sport going in June. It could have ended over labor weekend with the Finals. Instead it started after baseball and is competing with NFL. Boring as the NFL with the huddles, commercials, and reviews, it attracts casual fans that are not locked in as much to the startegy of the game. The sport is made for TV. For the NBA, only people watching are probably laker fans. Others who may tune in probably don't want to hear Lebron dumb crappy political opinions. Luka Doncic is now the TV/fan darling of the NBA.
This wins the award for most hot takes in one post.

It does appear that NFL ratings were down in week four. TVbythenumbers went out in the spring, they were great at getting real looks at ratings and what they mean. The CBS game last night won the night, but it is hard to know what a game on a network on Monday should get. It does appear most Sunday games were down, though it looks like the Bears did great in their market.

It does appear that NFL ratings were down in week four. TVbythenumbers went out in the spring, they were great at getting real looks at ratings and what they mean. The CBS game last night won the night, but it is hard to know what a game on a network on Monday should get. It does appear most Sunday games were down, though it looks like the Bears did great in their market.

It seems like MNF is doing very well comparatively with other telecasts

Adam Silver is paying close attention

Playoff ratings at a 40 year low with the league’s marque player and two huge markets. He said no blm on jerseys or court next season.

I’m sure it turned a portion of the fans off, but I think a lot of folks aren’t into sports for myriad reasons: don’t want to hear political shit; no fans; found other interests; new priorities; on and on. I love cfb and haven’t watched a single game. Maybe the only true diehards are nfl fans.

Maybe the only true diehards are nfl fans.

The biggest difference - fantasy football. Without it, I wonder how much further the NFL ratings would have dropped.

I'm with you though. I love CFB and CBB, but the fans and atmosphere are more important to those than any other sports.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
USAToday has some other numbers, non-woke sports are being killed too.

• Ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals were down 61% from last year, averaging 2.1 million viewers.
  • The final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament had 3.2 million viewers, by far the fewest going back more than 30 years.
  • The U.S. Open tennis tournament viewership fell sharply on ESPN, down 45% from the year before. The French Open is down 57% so far on NBC.
  • The Kentucky Derby, which normally gets around 15 million viewers, only had 9.3 million at its rescheduled slot in September.
  • Even the NFL, which has had some bright spots in the ratings thus far and seems to be holding steady, has had trouble getting viewers in certain windows like Thursday night, which has recorded consecutive lows for prime-time games.

• Ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals were down 61% from last year, averaging 2.1 million viewers.
  • The final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament had 3.2 million viewers, by far the fewest going back more than 30 years.
  • The U.S. Open tennis tournament viewership fell sharply on ESPN, down 45% from the year before. The French Open is down 57% so far on NBC.
  • The Kentucky Derby, which normally gets around 15 million viewers, only had 9.3 million at its rescheduled slot in September.
  • Even the NFL, which has had some bright spots in the ratings thus far and seems to be holding steady, has had trouble getting viewers in certain windows like Thursday night, which has recorded consecutive lows for prime-time games.
Those damn BLM horses. Were they kneeling during "My Old Kentucky Home"? 😡

Since polls are so well liked here and especially ones that lock out Jorgensen and Hawkins so they can't be in debates to educate the American public.

Here's latest poll that Luka is dominates.

I'm wondering out loud with no data behind this theory, but I wonder how much of that is changes in consumption habits that aren't reflected in ratings. Watching a stream online, watching clips after the fact etc. I have watched two of the NBA finals games, both I watched on my phone, casting to a couple different tvs during parts of the game, I doubt that counts in traditional ratings.

I'm wondering out loud with no data behind this theory, but I wonder how much of that is changes in consumption habits that aren't reflected in ratings. Watching a stream online, watching clips after the fact etc. I have watched two of the NBA finals games, both I watched on my phone, casting to a couple different tvs during parts of the game, I doubt that counts in traditional ratings.
No!!! It is 100% attributable to the moral outrage against all those commie athletes...black, white, male, female, goalie, golfer, human, equine. They're all a bunch of antifas, I tell ya.

It’s worth noting that the NFL continues to win days in which it airs. The league still has the largest slice of a smaller pie. But it’s also clear that many of the people who once watched the league are, for whatever reason, finding something else to do with their Sundays.

The PGA Tour viewership was actually up considerably until it ran into the NFL afternoon games (U.S. Open). Hockey seems to be struggling and, like the NBA, half of the people probably don't even realize it is still on.

Could it be the sports bubble has just burst?
probably find out next season assuming there are regular seasons

people want athletes to shut up and play
people don't like that sports have become political
people don't like that athletes make too much money and are entitled during a pandemic
people have reprioritized their lives
people don't like sports with no fans
the games are on a schedule that isn't customary
people are streaming games
the sport at the same venue is boring
watching the same two teams play each other seven times on a neutral rink with no fans is boring

we'll see next year. epl dumped blm. nba is dumping blm. get a vaccine where fans can come back and suspect 2021 will look more normal. we'll see

probably find out next season assuming there are regular seasons

people want athletes to shut up and play
people don't like that sports have become political
people don't like that athletes make too much money and are entitled during a pandemic
people have reprioritized their lives
people don't like sports with no fans
the games are on a schedule that isn't customary
people are streaming games
the sport at the same venue is boring
watching the same two teams play each other seven times on a neutral rink with no fans is boring

i think this window in sports is likely an anomaly. we'll see next year. epl dumped blm. nba is dumping blm. get a vaccine where fans can come back and suspect 2021 will look more normal. we'll see

Actually, with the NBA and NHL still going, it is highly conceivable that sports won't return to normal until 2022. There needs to be some break, so those leagues will likely start later and everything will be shifted around far more even into next year.

Actually, with the NBA and NHL still going, it is highly conceivable that sports won't return to normal until 2022. There needs to be some break, so those leagues will likely start later and everything will be shifted around far more even into next year.
yeah you're right. good point. seven games between the same two teams on a neutral court with no fans requires one hell of a fan to endure

Apparently you are not the only one that isn't watching

"The average number of viewers of the NBA Finals over the last few years...

2014 15.54 million per game
2015 19.94 million
2016 20.28 million
2017 20.38 million
2018 17.56 million
2019 15.14 million
2020 5.16 million"
All sports are down, including hockey , aren’t they?

1) I thought we were talking sports.
2) does going from 4 fans to 5 really count?

You'd have a better chance of hitting a Kershaw slider than you would finishing a round at Winged Foot.

Also, you'll notice far less John Daly's out there, similar to David Wells-less baseball.

Playoff ratings at a 40 year low with the league’s marque player and two huge markets. He said no blm on jerseys or court next season.

I’m sure it turned a portion of the fans off, but I think a lot of folks aren’t into sports for myriad reasons: don’t want to hear political shit; no fans; found other interests; new priorities; on and on. I love cfb and haven’t watched a single game. Maybe the only true diehards are nfl fans.

People want to be relevant. Professional sports disappeared for months and the world didn't come to an end. They aren't all that relevant. Meanwhile, truck drivers, store clerks, cops, firefighters and many more kept on working because we all need what they provide. The relevance of Labron and company is to entertain those who make the world work. They are paid obscene amounts for that purpose. They want to be more relevant and they can't understand that hearing their social and political views is not why they are gazillionaires. I think they have done irreparable harm to this generation of fans. We will need more than an effective vaccine to overcome the damage.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
1) I thought we were talking sports.
2) does going from 4 fans to 5 really count?

Sunday’s final round of the PGA Tour Arnold Palmer Invitational averaged a 2.4 rating and 3.86 million viewers on NBC, the highest for the event in three years (2018: 3.2, 4.96M). Ratings jumped 41% and viewership 49% from last year (1.7, 2.59M).

Including Saturday’s third round, which increased 24% and 41% respectively to a 1.6 and 2.51 million, eight of the last ten PGA Tour windows on broadcast television have posted an increase in ratings and/or viewership — including six that have increased by double figures.

The strong showing is a continuation from last year, when the PGA Tour was one of the only sports properties to post consistent increases after the wave of cancellations and postponements that began a year ago this week. That momentum did not carry over to the majors, with last September’s US Open and last November’s Masters both at all-time lows.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Meh, the Super Bowl was down 9% from last year too. However, I would agree on the NBA to some degree. There aren't as many great rivalries as there were in the 90's. From a skills perspective the games are highly enjoyable but without fans in the stands it sucks to watch the NBA. I didn't notice it until I watched some rerun of a Pacers game from the mid 90's that was on and you forget how close the crowd is in a basketball game. They're literally part of the scenery. Doesn't bother me as much with NFL.

Meh, the Super Bowl was down 9% from last year too. However, I would agree on the NBA to some degree. There aren't as many great rivalries as there were in the 90's. From a skills perspective the games are highly enjoyable but without fans in the stands it sucks to watch the NBA. I didn't notice it until I watched some rerun of a Pacers game from the mid 90's that was on and you forget how close the crowd is in a basketball game. They're literally part of the scenery. Doesn't bother me as much with NFL.

Agree with you and part of the issue is the NBA is purely an individual league at this point. The players have no regard or care for the jersey they don so long as they have a super team with superstars alongside them.

NFL struggled this year too, not sure how much fans had to do with it.

Of course the All-star game gets bad ratings. The NBA ruined it. Even worse than the NHL did their own. Or the NFL with the Pro Bowl, which, although still somewhat strong, has been steadily declining for a decade.
The NBA all star game in 2020, just before COVID hit, was remarkably entertaining. They experimented and changed the fourth quarter to seek a score to win the game rather than be on a clock.

The game this year suffered from America’s pathetic love of Royal drama.

Agree with you and part of the issue is the NBA is purely an individual league at this point. The players have no regard or care for the jersey they don so long as they have a super team with superstars alongside them.
This is a good point, but I don't think you should pivot directly to the players' motivations on this one. It's really about marketing. The NBA purposefully markets players as stars. The league wants fans to identify with and follow individuals. The NFL doesn't want that. With the exception of the rare square-jawed QB with the aw shucks farmboy personality, the NFL wants nameless, faceless robots, and markets them as such.

This is a good point, but I don't think you should pivot directly to the players' motivations on this one. It's really about marketing. The NBA purposefully markets players as stars. The league wants fans to identify with and follow individuals. The NFL doesn't want that. With the exception of the rare square-jawed QB with the aw shucks farmboy personality, the NFL wants nameless, faceless robots, and markets them as such.
I disagree. The NFL pushes the stars out there that don’t have off the field distractions. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Watt, et al, are at the tip of the NFLs marketing campaign.

I disagree. The NFL pushes the stars out there that don’t have off the field distractions. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Watt, et al, are at the tip of the NFLs marketing campaign.
They do seem to be doing it more in recent years, I'll give you that. But it's still nowhere near on the level of the NBA. With the NFL, the drive is still to build loyalty to the logos and the brands moreso than the players.

I didn't realize Mahomes, Brady, Vick were farm boys.

I think there is some element of truth to the two assessments, but the NFL still invests in its superstars. I always thought there was some appreciation for guys like Payton, Smith, Sanders, Peterson (pre-domestic incidents).

Never felt the NFL did the WRs enough justice.

I didn't realize Mahomes, Brady, Vick were farm boys.

I think there is some element of truth to the two assessments, but the NFL still invests in its superstars. I always thought there was some appreciation for guys like Payton, Smith, Sanders, Peterson (pre-domestic incidents).

Never felt the NFL did the WRs enough justice.
Besides Jerry Rice most of the star WRs are assholes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT