ADVERTISEMENT

Chappelle on San Fran

Democrats in charge. Did he have to step across a pile of shit in order to enter a restaurant to eat?

Is there a large Dem ran city out there, they haven't ruined or is not headed that way?

All part of the D power base.....keep them poor Govt dependent slaves. Has worked for Ds for over 70 years and the complacent slaves seem to love it, by their votes.

But then crime spikes, and instead of helping the law abiding amoung the enslaved masses, the Ds justice is for the criminal, with catch & release, and ignoring robberies & violence.

Is there a large Dem ran city out there, they haven't ruined or is not headed that way?

All part of the D power base.....keep them poor Govt dependent slaves. Has worked for Ds for over 70 years and the complacent slaves seem to love it, by their votes.

But then crime spikes, and instead of helping the law abiding amoung the enslaved masses, the Ds justice is for the criminal, with catch & release, and ignoring robberies & violence.
I do think there is a very real issue with homelessness and crime in a lot of US cities, but I also think your post wades into far-right conspiracy theory territory. I don't think there is a Democratic platform to keep people dependent on the government. I'm honestly not sure why some of our cities are dealing with these issues, but my guess is that has to do with decades-long neglect of mental health services, affordable housing and yes, cracking down on crime.

I think it's more complicated than Democratic mayors sitting on high watching their cities burn.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
I do think there is a very real issue with homelessness and crime in a lot of US cities, but I also think your post wades into far-right conspiracy theory territory. I don't think there is a Democratic platform to keep people dependent on the government. I'm honestly not sure why some of our cities are dealing with these issues, but my guess is that has to do with decades-long neglect of mental health services, affordable housing and yes, cracking down on crime.

I think it's more complicated than Democratic mayors sitting on high watching their cities burn.
OK, if it's not Democrat mayors, what is it?

Ask Lyndon Johnson about that.

Reactions: DANC
OK, if it's not Democrat mayors, what is it?
I think they're complicit - I'm not absolving anyone in leadership over the last several decades.

I do think there are other issues at play too. Federally, we've stripped away mental health services steadily since the 1980s. And cost of living and wages are out of whack. 30 - 40 years ago, people could work most hourly jobs and afford to put a roof over their head. I think there are a lot of factors that play into what's going on in major US cities and I'm not sure electing Republican mayors is going to be a magic bullet.

Hm. Read about President Biden’s white supremacy commencement address to the Howard University graduates. That is no conspiracy, and his message is obviously an attempt to keep blacks voting for Democrats.

Then read about Dana Parino’s uplifting and inspirational commencement speech at her alma mater.

The Democrat message to minorities is deliberate and destructive.

I think they're complicit - I'm not absolving anyone in leadership over the last several decades.

I do think there are other issues at play too. Federally, we've stripped away mental health services steadily since the 1980s. And cost of living and wages are out of whack. 30 - 40 years ago, people could work most hourly jobs and afford to put a roof over their head. I think there are a lot of factors that play into what's going on in major US cities and I'm not sure electing Republican mayors is going to be a magic bullet.
Progressives are a disaster for cities. Their governance and ideology exacerbate the inherent problems our cities face. Rudy in nyc is the path to cleaning up cities. It can be done.

What does that have to do with municipal administration
There will always be a poverty rate. If income suddenly doubled across the board today there will still be a bottom percentage and taken over the entire country being in that class doesn't mean you are living a worse life than someone making more. Are the homeless even included in that figure anyway? They would have to have some sort of way of even being counted. We could give them all free Iphones so the Government knows how to get in contact with them I suppose.

From Westeros to San Fransicso to Paris to Johannesburg....large cities all have similar problems across cultures, etc. I tend to think a massive number of humans living in large urban centers generally have the same problems they've always had.

Used to be people just died. Now there are programs which keep them alive and thriving. Do I think Progressive policies are harmful? Probably. Do I also believe that, based upon the entirety of human history, we will continue to look for ways to take care of disadvantaged or just straight trash humans? Yes, we'll continue to do that as well.

So, pray tell, what to the conservative have on offer other than near Darwinism?

Reactions: mrhighlife
Homeless aren't going to wander around in the countryside or small towns. Big cities will always have to deal with homelessness and that would be the case whether the mayor was dem or republican. It has nothing to do with policies. Homeless people wouldn't leave to go live in the wilderness regardless of who is in charge of the cities.

From Westeros to San Fransicso to Paris to Johannesburg....large cities all have similar problems across cultures, etc. I tend to think a massive number of humans living in large urban centers generally have the same problems they've always had.

Used to be people just died. Now there are programs which keep them alive and thriving. Do I think Progressive policies are harmful? Probably. Do I also believe that, based upon the entirety of human history, we will continue to look for ways to take care of disadvantaged or just straight trash humans? Yes, we'll continue to do that as well.

So, pray tell, what to the conservative have on offer other than near Darwinism?

I vote we send them to Leo's private island

I think there is a middle ground position in dealing with the issues we are talking about here:

1. Forbidding tent cities and living on public property
2. Enforcing public urination and defecation ordinances
3. Building centralized locations to house the homeless (maybe near police stations?) and then adequately monitoring those locations
4. As discussed, spending money on mental-health services for the destitute

Homeless aren't going to wander around in the countryside or small towns. Big cities will always have to deal with homelessness and that would be the case whether the mayor was dem or republican. It has nothing to do with policies. Homeless people wouldn't leave to go live in the wilderness regardless of who is in charge of the cities.
No moron. Enforcing the law. Public safety. Order. Getting the community organizations and businesses on the same page. You used your signature I’m a vapid blinkard laughing emoji above re my post with Rudy but it’s 100 percent accurate as to how he cleaned up nyc. You really need to go away. You are far too stupid to be here. You just muck up threads with your yabbuts

3. Building centralized locations to house the homeless (maybe near police stations?) and then adequately monitoring those locations

Kodiak Island feels like a better spot!

bear.gif

Reactions: 76-1 and Univee2
I think there is a middle ground position in dealing with the issues we are talking about here:

Yes yes yes yes

One of my dad's recurring quesitons was around military base closures. Surely we could use these massive housing units to house the homeless. And then have drug treatment, job training, mental health services, medical services, etc. Yes, expensive but he really believes you could offer one time amnesty and some voluntary comittal process that would move them to these locations. And we coult finally utilize some level of scale b/c so many people would be housed in one place. Very rudimentary but I'm disappointed we don't even try shit anymore in this country.

Yes, I get that it looks really really shitty. But......sometimes we're constrained by our laws and our options to solve problems get increasingly more confined until there really is nothing we can do. I'm not saying the Dems don't have blood on their hands but I'm not entirely certain we'd see even a 10% change. yeah the crime would go down. You can solve that.

Maybe that's all we can solve in our current model..

Some of these tiny home communities are neat ideas. But you have to enforce laws and ordinances at the same time

Some of these tiny home communities are neat ideas. But you have to enforce laws and ordinances at the same time
It's really difficult.

Most of what I wrote in my post was tried here in Chicago with centralized urban centers for recipients of welfare and as a result we got Cabrini Green, etc.

Reactions: DANC and larsIU
It's really difficult.

Most of what I wrote in my post was tried here in Chicago with centralized urban centers for recipients of welfare and as a result we got Cabrini Green, etc.

It's why it has to be, at some level, "voluntary."

Just like you don't quit smoking cigarettes or crack unless you really want to.....AND HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK TO WHICH WOULD BE BETTER THAN THE ADDICTION.

The 2nd part matters as much as the first.

One of my dad's recurring quesitons was around military base closures. Surely we could use these massive housing units to house the homeless. And then have drug treatment, job training, mental health services, medical services, etc. Yes, expensive but he really believes you could offer one time amnesty and some voluntary comittal process that would move them to these locations. And we coult finally utilize some level of scale b/c so many people would be housed in one place. Very rudimentary but I'm disappointed we don't even try shit anymore in this country.

Yes, I get that it looks really really shitty. But......sometimes we're constrained by our laws and our options to solve problems get increasingly more confined until there really is nothing we can do. I'm not saying the Dems don't have blood on their hands but I'm not entirely certain we'd see even a 10% change. yeah the crime would go down. You can solve that.

Maybe that's all we can solve in our current model..

It's really difficult.

Cabrini Green is the seminal urban planning measure for what has driven later developments. The idea long since has been to build flat and no more high rises that concentrate problems. If you can create a sense of ownership even better.

UIC Chicago is really good for all that.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

All positive ideas that have different headwinds against them intertwined with other issues. The specifics take time and resources and point to a larger question.

Does the general public want to help these people or do they just want them to go away and not be seen?

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
The idea long since has been to build flat and no more high rises that concentrate problems. If you can create a sense of ownership even better.
Everything is going to be LA? I think still the largest city in the world by actual land area (maybe Berlin or Tokyo or some unknown place in China with 40 million people).

My dad always thought if you dropped homeless people in the woods they'd figure it out. At some point. Many are highly resourceful but just stuck in a doom loop they can't crawl out of.

Of course, the ohter 70% are worthless and won't ever account for much.

Everything is going to be LA? I think still the largest city in the world by actual land area (maybe Berlin or Tokyo or some unknown place in China with 40 million people).

My dad always thought if you dropped homeless people in the woods they'd figure it out. At some point. Many are highly resourceful but just stuck in a doom loop they can't crawl out of.

Of course, the ohter 70% are worthless and won't ever account for much.
Your Dad sounds like a really interesting guy.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT