ADVERTISEMENT

Cautiously Optimistic?

I said it before and say it again the Hoosiers must finish 3-1. However I thought they would lose to Wisconsin, but it looks as if Illinois is playing better than Wisconsin. I am still hoping for 4-0 and a bowl bid.
In your view, should winning two of the last three secure his job for another season? If so, curious as to your reasoning for retention.

In your view, should winning two of the last three secure his job for another season? If so, curious as to your reasoning for retention.
I would like to see an entire season with an improved offensive coordinator. Another season with a more experienced quarterback as opposed to playing against the toughest schedule in the country with 2 quarterbacks with 10 college plays total between them. a second with his new defensive coordinator. Hopefully we can retain this staff and actually have the same coordinators and position coaches for consecutive years. We will finally have a competent o line coach and a competent o coordinator and an experienced quarterback could lead to a much better offensive production. Defensively we will need to replace many guys, we have had some success bringing in portal guys and hopefully some young guys will continue to grow.

I would like to see an entire season with an improved offensive coordinator. Another season with a more experienced quarterback as opposed to playing against the toughest schedule in the country with 2 quarterbacks with 10 college plays total between them. a second with his new defensive coordinator. Hopefully we can retain this staff and actually have the same coordinators and position coaches for consecutive years. We will finally have a competent o line coach and a competent o coordinator and an experienced quarterback could lead to a much better offensive production. Defensively we will need to replace many guys, we have had some success bringing in portal guys and hopefully some young guys will continue to grow.
Thanks for your answer. After seven years, the “I promise I’ll do better and I really mean it” stuff isn't credible for me, but we all see it from our own perspective.

Winning 3 out of the final 4 would certainly be a positive. The only way I would remove him in that scenario was if I had a homerun coach on deck.

If they go 5-7, you can circle back to the Louisville game and call it a scheduling gaffe. Indiana isn't in a position to schedule a Louisville or a Kentucky....I understand the fans' desire for those games, but it just doesn't hold water at this point in time.

Winning 3 out of the final 4 would certainly be a positive. The only way I would remove him in that scenario was if I had a homerun coach on deck.

If they go 5-7, you can circle back to the Louisville game and call it a scheduling gaffe. Indiana isn't in a position to schedule a Louisville or a Kentucky....I understand the fans' desire for those games, but it just doesn't hold water at this point in time.
The thing is we could have won that Louisville game... Six wins would look more attainable if we only had to win 2 of the final 3 games.

Thanks for your answer. After seven years, the “I promise I’ll do better and I really mean it” stuff isn't credible for me, but we all see it from our own perspective.
What you fail to see is that when he had the right coordinators in place he has shown the ability to win. Yes it is his fault that he did not give Sheridan a fair shot because of his reluctance to let Hiller go earlier. I don’t see as an entirely bad thing. Loyalty is never bad except maybe in this case. Who knows if Sheridan would’ve succeeded with a different line coach. It is tough to call plays if your o line play is bad. In an earlier thread I asked you who you thought was a viable replacement I did not see a response.

What you fail to see is that when he had the right coordinators in place he has shown the ability to win. Yes it is his fault that he did not give Sheridan a fair shot because of his reluctance to let Hiller go earlier. I don’t see as an entirely bad thing. Loyalty is never bad except maybe in this case. Who knows if Sheridan would’ve succeeded with a different line coach. It is tough to call plays if your o line play is bad. In an earlier thread I asked you who you thought was a viable replacement I did not see a response.
Oh, I see the value of good coordinators, but that applies to every coach (ask Lincoln Riley or Dabo). TA hasn’t shown an ability to find, cultivate and replace good staff members, and that’s part of his job. Loyalty is admirable, but it’s a results oriented endeavor, and he’s produced poor results. Not sure why so many find that either excusable or acceptable.

Couldn't agree more. Business means people. Good performing human assets = good business. + Indiana is a hard place to learn football HCing in a timely fashion. Maybe 7 years hard.

I think we all would like more consistency by Year 7, but if he wins out, there’s no way he’ll be gone. And, I grudgingly will give him credit…but more so the staff and players who got us there. Even 5-7, unfortunately keeps him around with the big buyout. At other programs, with better tradition and more $$$, 5-7, after the last 2 years, wouldn’t be tolerated.

PalmBeach makes some great points Re new OC and OL Coach pertinent to maintaining continuity. IF TA stays, Hope we can keep both of them around.

On the D, idk how many of these portal guys (who’ve meshed well of late) we lose after only 1 year, but I think most have at least 1 more year left. Magnum-Farrar? Blidi? I know the DT from CMU is gone after this year.

Oh, I see the value of good coordinators, but that applies to every coach (ask Lincoln Riley or Dabo). TA hasn’t shown an ability to find, cultivate and replace good staff members, and that’s part of his job. Loyalty is admirable, but it’s a results oriented endeavor, and he’s produced poor results. Not sure why so many find that either excusable or acceptable.
IU has been trying to get by on going cheap on coordinators which makes it difficult to bring in excellent ones hence the hit or misses. Add to that, coach Allen's focus on the "right" fit and it gets really tough to find good ones. I would prefer coach Allen got successful coordinators with a good reputation to build up IUFB. I worry about his approach to players too, but it is hard to know if it is the poor records or coach Allen's limitations that keep top players from IU.

I think we all would like more consistency by Year 7, but if he wins out, there’s no way he’ll be gone. And, I grudgingly will give him credit…but more so the staff and players who got us there. Even 5-7, unfortunately keeps him around with the big buyout. At other programs, with better tradition and more $$$, 5-7, after the last 2 years, wouldn’t be tolerated.

PalmBeach makes some great points Re new OC and OL Coach pertinent to maintaining continuity. IF TA stays, Hope we can keep both of them around.

On the D, idk how many of these portal guys (who’ve meshed well of late) we lose after only 1 year, but I think most have at least 1 more year left. Magnum-Farrar? Blidi? I know the DT from CMU is gone after this year.
Yeah, I have been wondering this too.
For sure we lose Casey, Pierre, Carter.
Pretty sure Magnum-Farrar was grad transfer.

I'm sure there are others we lose as well, but most of the transfers had multiple years when they came over.

Maybe someone here will get a full list of offense/defense that are in their last year once our season is done but now just focusing on finishing this season strong and winning out!

Let's finish out the season and get stronger convictions one way or another as it plays out. The last two games have given me the thread title but still more skeptical than optimistic.

Probably the two best offensive coordinators we have had in recent times were Deboer and Wilson. Defensive coordinators Allen and Wommack.

The thing right now that drives me the craziest during a game is how long it takes the defense to get signals in and lined up. The big plays that Wisconsin had usually had guys still looking at the sideline. I was screaming at them from Section 26 and the Wisconsin fans around me kept giving me looks. At least for once at the end of the game I was the one smiling and they were the ones sulking out of the stadium.

The things that concern me the most about today our Illinois lines, the huge running back and tackling him and how we defend Williams.

Reactions: midwolfe and td75
IU has been trying to get by on going cheap on coordinators which makes it difficult to bring in excellent ones hence the hit or misses. Add to that, coach Allen's focus on the "right" fit and it gets really tough to find good ones. I would prefer coach Allen got successful coordinators with a good reputation to build up IUFB. I worry about his approach to players too, but it is hard to know if it is the poor records or coach Allen's limitations that keep top players from IU.
Zero evidence to suggest we’ve been trying to do this on the cheap. You’ve said this several times and it’s simply not true.

Reactions: 82hoosier
If we do lose a 7th game, Jerry Kill did wonders at Northern Illinois, Minnesota, then had to resign for health issue- now he’s lighting it up at New Mexico State- don’t misfire again BOT and Dolson. It’s a slam dunk hire! But as of now Coach Allen win out and let’s go to Detroit!

You can continue to say that he has not produced and yet he has a New Years Day Bowl and a Gator Bowl trip to his credit. Who knows how those would have turned out with a healthy Penix or hell a healthy Tuttle even. I know you are going to say yes but they did not beat anyone with a winning record. But is that Tom Allen’s fault? You can’t be held responsible for the other teams. The point is he won the games that were scheduled. You also don’t take into account that every year they play one of the toughest schedules in the country. A daunting task for anyone especially given IU’s history. Maybe I missed it but I still have not seen who you think should replace him and how many years are you willing to give him? Tom Allen has shown that he can win with some continuity which is also not a word usually associated with IU football. I am not saying we give him forever but if he can win the next 3 and that is a big IF then why not hope that continuity can help breed a little success? You are correct that most schools would probably move on but this is not most schools. Going from coach to coach to coach is not a recipe for success. You have tied to go out and you hire Sam Wyche and he leaves almost immediately. You hire Cam Cameron the IU grad who is a hot commodity he alienates all of the high school coaches in Indiana and fails miserably. You hire Bill Mallory and he is able to have some success early and then fire him. Gerry Dinardo had success as a coordinator but fails. Terry Hoepner look like they may finally have their guy and he unfortunately passes away way too early not just for IU but in life. You hire Kevin Wilson and he has a short tumultuous career. Who knows if maybe he could have fixed his personal life what he might have done? Now we have Tom Allen back to back bowl games lofty expectations and rankings. Then back to back seasons of despair. I chose to hold out hope that he can some how change IU. Again it is not infinite time. He needs to reclaim the 19 and 20 magic quickly.

If we do lose a 7th game, Jerry Kill did wonders at Northern Illinois, Minnesota, then had to resign for health issue- now he’s lighting it up at New Mexico State- don’t misfire again BOT and Dolson. It’s a slam dunk hire! But as of now Coach Allen win out and let’s go to Detroit!
I love Jerry Kill but does he have the health to make it in the BIG and can his age allow him the time to do what needs to be done?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You can continue to say that he has not produced and yet he has a New Years Day Bowl and a Gator Bowl trip to his credit. Who knows how those would have turned out with a healthy Penix or hell a healthy Tuttle even. I know you are going to say yes but they did not beat anyone with a winning record. But is that Tom Allen’s fault? You can’t be held responsible for the other teams. The point is he won the games that were scheduled. You also don’t take into account that every year they play one of the toughest schedules in the country. A daunting task for anyone especially given IU’s history. Maybe I missed it but I still have not seen who you think should replace him and how many years are you willing to give him? Tom Allen has shown that he can win with some continuity which is also not a word usually associated with IU football. I am not saying we give him forever but if he can win the next 3 and that is a big IF then why not hope that continuity can help breed a little success? You are correct that most schools would probably move on but this is not most schools. Going from coach to coach to coach is not a recipe for success. You have tied to go out and you hire Sam Wyche and he leaves almost immediately. You hire Cam Cameron the IU grad who is a hot commodity he alienates all of the high school coaches in Indiana and fails miserably. You hire Bill Mallory and he is able to have some success early and then fire him. Gerry Dinardo had success as a coordinator but fails. Terry Hoepner look like they may finally have their guy and he unfortunately passes away way too early not just for IU but in life. You hire Kevin Wilson and he has a short tumultuous career. Who knows if maybe he could have fixed his personal life what he might have done? Now we have Tom Allen back to back bowl games lofty expectations and rankings. Then back to back seasons of despair. I chose to hold out hope that he can some how change IU. Again it is not infinite time. He needs to reclaim the 19 and 20 magic quickly.
I appreciate your post and wearing my Gator Bowl shirt under my IU sweatshirt today remembering how we gave that game away and leaving Jacksonville stadium upset again. I told the former Tennessee football players sitting in front of me (IU section) that we were not ready for an on-side kick. I am still holding on to my attending the last Hoosier bowl victory 1992 Copper Bowl 24-0 over Baylor led by Trent Green, Vaughn Dunbar and Mark Hagen.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
I appreciate your post and wearing my Gator Bowl shirt under my IU sweatshirt today remembering how we gave that game away and leaving Jacksonville stadium upset again. I told the former Tennessee football players sitting in front of me (IU section) that we were not ready for an on-side kick. I am still holding on to my attending the last Hoosier bowl victory 1992 Copper Bowl 24-0 over Baylor led by Trent Green, Vaughn Dunbar and Mark Hagen.
I remember it as 23-0- I’ll google. I was in first row on Baylor side. The Bears were 8-3 and felt decimated that a 6-5 IU squad dismantled them. My first wife was from Tucson.

And CTA still shows the ability to make bad in game decisions with the clock etc regardless of who the coordinators are. I'll never forget how we were not prepared for that onside kick late in that bowl game with Tenn. Literally anyone who has ever watched a football game knew that there was a good chance it was coming.

I remember it as 23-0- I’ll google. I was in first row on Baylor side. The Bears were 8-3 and felt decimated that a 6-5 IU squad dismantled them. My first wife was from Tucson.
Thanks for sharing and you are probably right. It was fun time a bowl win, spending time with the parents of a walk on quarterback who was part of a group who later sponsored a football scholarship. We also went and saw the biosphere or whatever it was called.

And CTA still shows the ability to make bad in game decisions with the clock etc regardless of who the coordinators are. I'll never forget how we were not prepared for that onside kick late in that bowl game with Tenn. Literally anyone who has ever watched a football game knew that there was a good chance it was coming.
Do you really think that first off kids did not know there was the possibility of of an onside kick? Do you really think they were not alerted to the possibility? Hell we remind our kids to make sure the ball goes behind them before every kick. They still get caught. We were up 28-7 in the second half last week. We hand our hands team. We practice it every week and we still got caught.

He’s failed to build us into a winning program, and there’s nothing suggest that we’re even making progress toward that goal. As for a replacement, Jim Leonhard would be an immediate upgrade on all fronts, and he’s far from the only guy out there who would make us better.

He really hasn’t shown the ability to be a good head coach, and the results make that clear. Not sure there’s really any credible debate about that, regardless of whether he remains or not.

He’s failed to build us into a winning program, and there’s nothing suggest that we’re even making progress toward that goal. As for a replacement, Jim Leonhard would be an immediate upgrade on all fronts, and he’s far from the only guy out there who would make us better.
You mean the guy that was interim at his Alma mater and they did not give him the job?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT