ADVERTISEMENT

Canada floating UBI

I’d they do implement it’s not going to end well.
there's only one answer. BITCOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we basically had ubi here with biden's free cheese. it drove inflation. and now we're stuck with the higher prices. the shame of it is there isn't a way to craft ubi for a limited period or in some other fashion to give some people a boost. tie it to employment. i don't know. during biden's period of free living i believe we had the lowest poverty rate in i can't remember how long. so it succeeded in elevating people who needed it most. again it's a shame it can't be crafted, limited in time, and replete with conditions

I have questions.

How is UBI different from welfare? Would it replace welfare? Would it have the same eligibility requirements?
i don't know. the material difference i suspect is in amounts. ubi would be a bigger check. temporary assistance here is capped at like $300 bucks i believe. and it's temporary. and then there's food assistance. but welfare really doesn't amount to much, particularly with what's gone on the last 3 years under bidenomics. i was reading an article with this tik tok guy showing price changes on food at walmart between 2020 and today. it was crazy. that stuff just destroys the poor.

I have questions.

How is UBI different from welfare? Would it replace welfare? Would it have the same eligibility requirements?
'Welfare' encompasses a whole host of benefits. Not just cash.

UBI, as I understand it, is direct payment and probably more of it.

there's only one answer. BITCOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we basically had ubi here with biden's free cheese. it drove inflation. and now we're stuck with the higher prices. the shame of it is there isn't a way to craft ubi for a limited period or in some other fashion to give some people a boost. tie it to employment. i don't know. during biden's period of free living i believe we had the lowest poverty rate in i can't remember how long. so it succeeded in elevating people who needed it most. again it's a shame it can't be crafted, limited in time, and replete with conditions
Everyone can live a lot better if they're living on a credit card they never have to repay.

there's only one answer. BITCOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes sir.
we basically had ubi here with biden's free cheese. it drove inflation. and now we're stuck with the higher prices. the shame of it is there isn't a way to craft ubi for a limited period or in some other fashion to give some people a boost. tie it to employment. i don't know. during biden's period of free living i believe we had the lowest poverty rate in i can't remember how long. so it succeeded in elevating people who needed it most. again it's a shame it can't be crafted, limited in time, and replete with conditions
The problem with free cheese is you’re not creating anything. Sure it lowered poverty for a small time period, but it goes right back up when inflation kicks. The only way to lower poverty (whatever the subjective measure at the time) is through increasing productivity and innovation. Producing more goods and services with less human capital and/or resources. Printing money doesn’t accomplish that. UBI is a solution looking for a problem.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I have questions.

How is UBI different from welfare? Would it replace welfare?
I’ve read where it would be replacement, but I highly doubt it. My guess is it would be in implemented as another program.
Would it have the same eligibility requirements?
From what I read everyone would be eligible. Everyone would gets a base level of income.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The funny thing, UBI in the US came from the Libertarian Party which isn't liberal, though the program is seen as liberal.

The general idea, give the people the money in payments and not aid programs, and let them decide how to use it. It appears even Milty had a general support of the idea

The problem I see, if someone loses their money at the track, are we going to let their 2-year old starve? I doubt it.

Where is this "free cheese" and how do I get some of it?

The funny thing, UBI in the US came from the Libertarian Party which isn't liberal, though the program is seen as liberal.

The general idea, give the people the money in payments and not aid programs, and let them decide how to use it. It appears even Milty had a general support of the idea

The problem I see, if someone loses their money at the track, are we going to let their 2-year old starve? I doubt it.
mo gives money. many states do in addition to programs. it's just not a lot. but it's all very complex and hard to reconcile for myriad reasons. our transit system is total dogshit. you can't really access 85% of the potential jobs out there here if you are limited to transit. so if you got enough money instead of stupid train vouchers for a down payment or car payments to get a car it'd be life changing for many. but.....

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I've eaten government cheese before. It was like a gigantic block of Velveeta (5 pound bricks?). To be honest, it wasn't all that bad.
ha! interesting. now there's obviously food banks. if you don't use your benefits card (snap/ebt) at the store the food bank here has pantries set up all over that offer healthy stuff. fruits veggies etc

We do that now. You can’t qualify for welfare just because you lost your money gambling.

To do UBI, welfare programs have to be eliminated. The concept is intriguing and shouldn’t be totally dismissed.

We do that now. You can’t qualify for welfare just because you lost your money gambling.

To do UBI, welfare programs have to be eliminated. The concept is intriguing and shouldn’t be totally dismissed.
Yes, but you can't spend the modern food stamps at the track. That is a safety mechanism. Replace all with cash and it is possible. Mind you, I don't know that it is a bad idea. As more countries do it, we will find out.

Yes, but you can't spend the modern food stamps at the track. That is a safety mechanism. Replace all with cash and it is possible. Mind you, I don't know that it is a bad idea. As more countries do it, we will find out.
I'm not necessarily talking about someone on SNAP. The head of a household which doesn't qualify could blow all his/her cash at the track and not qualify for assistance. The only way UBI could work is to get rid of all the welfare programs too. Need it for funding and UBI is a welfare program for some. Those that make a lot of money would pay it back in taxes too.

Those that blow their money can go to the food pantries and other private assistance programs out there. That's what they're for.

I have too, but I remember it being cheddar.
What I had could have been cheddar as well (it was a LONG time ago). I was referring more to the fact that it looked like a brick of Velveeta, only a lot bigger. My grandparents got it and there is only so much cheese a couple in their 70's can eat before it goes bad. I think the only cheese I really knew back then was Velveeta and Kraft slices of American cheese.

how-the-u-s-ended-up-with-warehouses-full-of-government-cheeses-featured-photo.jpg

Years ago, I came up with the brilliant idea of the "Stuff Card" - can't remember when or why, but I'm pretty sure it was part of conversation with Rockfish right here on the WC. You could use the Stuff Card to buy, well, stuff. Food, clothes, TV's,, etc., but not beer, cigarettes, etc.

We have time, but we will almost certainly have to find a way to make it work, or something like it. Unless we destroy ourselves, we eventually will deal with some kind of post-scarcity, post-labor economy. We will need to find a way to fit the masses into that economy.

We have time, but we will almost certainly have to find a way to make it work, or something like it. Unless we destroy ourselves, we eventually will deal with some kind of post-scarcity, post-labor economy. We will need to find a way to fit the masses into that economy.

I am one who thinks we are moving toward a jobless society. But I will admit our run of record breaking employment levels wasn't part of the calculation.

Actors and writers negotiated AI out, for now. AI isn't all the way there yet, once it is the studios won't even bother to negotiate. Same for many other professions.

I read the Milton argument and it seems flawed. Not in terms of premise, but context. Milton wrote that 62 years ago, when poverty was a real problem. Poverty today isn’t nearly what it used to be back in the 1930s or even 1960s.

I’m talking availability of basic needs (food, water, etc.). Our current poverty and homelessness issue is really more of a result of mental illness and addiction. How does UBI solve that problem? It provides guaranteed income for drug users to buy more?

I’ll take the opposite side. We’re not moving towards a jobless society. Jobs will just continue to change as they have the past 200 years.

I’ll take the opposite side. We’re not moving towards a jobless society. Jobs will just continue to change as they have the past 200 years.
I actually think those are two sides of the same coin. I think we will maintain our capitalist system by forcing jobs to change rather than disappear. It will be a lot of government-funded make-work employment that will be UBI in all but name.

I could go into detail but I don't want to spoil my novel.

I actually think those are two sides of the same coin. I think we will maintain our capitalist system by forcing jobs to change rather than disappear. It will be a lot of government-funded make-work employment that will be UBI in all but name.

This is gold!! A timely novel topic. You’ll be like Ryan Reynolds with his businesses and adverts. Guy always catches the wave

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
i don't know. the material difference i suspect is in amounts. ubi would be a bigger check. temporary assistance here is capped at like $300 bucks i believe. and it's temporary. and then there's food assistance. but welfare really doesn't amount to much, particularly with what's gone on the last 3 years under bidenomics. i was reading an article with this tik tok guy showing price changes on food at walmart between 2020 and today. it was crazy. that stuff just destroys the poor.
Come on man!!! The liberals on here tell you inflation is down and everything great.

They keep forgetting those price increases. They tell us to be happy they slowed down rising. Lol.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Maybe your the one guy who Ryan was like, "nah, this f*cker deserves it."
I really just wanted to be on reality tv. Vanderpump rules etc. but like soccer the timing was bad. My Gen missed out on all that. Tho Andrew shue did get on melrose place. You know Tom Sandoval as in SCANDOVAL is from here. Dirty northsider. I see Andy cohen at sbx now and again

side note: I think we'll start taxing the use of robots until those robots rise up and start taxing us.

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

Of course you have a novel. All central planners do. Please make it really long to punish the comrades forced to read it.

All joking aside, I think the economy will just continue to evolve and prices will drop. I hope Canada doesn’t implement it because the issue they’re trying to solve stems from too much government spending. It’s only going to make the situation worse for Canadians.

Reactions: Spartans9312

That sounds like "big government" supporters' dream and seems to reduce the supposed benefit of UBI, which is to simplify government expenditures and improve efficiencies.

I think you are conflating issues and snarl's point was that, things continue to evolve. We went from an agrarian-heavy society to an industrialist one. 50+ years ago, manufacturing was critical. If you would have told old economists what % of jobs manufacturing would have accounted for in today's age, they would have told you our economy was in dire straits and America's days of a global power were long past.

There are so many service jobs where there is a need for labor, but there aren't enough bodies. And that's with an open border.

Reactions: manichi
I assume they would push for CBDC which would solve that issue.

I would assume Libertarians and potentially others would be against government restrictions and monitoring, which again, creates another layer of costs, bureaucracy, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT