ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree

And while WVU’s only 2-2 currently, they’re coming off a 9-4 season in 2023, so I’d assume that Neal Brown is safe, at least for now.

I guess the Arky job might open up, but Cig doesn’t strike me as an SEC sort of guy. More of a northeastern-midwestern kinda guy.
The 3 that are most certain to open up is Auburn,Florida State and Florida or at least 2 of the 3.
I can’t see IU getting in a bidding war with any of those 3,if they did they would most likely lose.

The 3 that are most certain to open up is Auburn,Florida State and Florida or at least 2 of the 3.
I can’t see IU getting in a bidding war with any of those 3,if they did they would most likely lose.
I’d still be surprised if FSU got rid of Norvell a year after they went 12-0, but I think Napier’s done, and so is Aranda at Baylor. I don’t know about Auburn (at times Freeze almost sounds like he WANTS to be fired) but I assume Cig might not be a “big enough” name for them (which imo would be foolish on their part). And I’m not sure how much appeal that job might have to Cig (I suspect his friend Nick Saban might advise him against taking it).

IIRC Cig’s buyout is $8 million and drops to $6 million on Dec 1st. But I believe his contract includes the same “automatic extension” clause in it that Wilson and Allen had in their contracts, which I guess means that if IU beats Northwestern then Cig’s 6-year contract becomes a 7-year contract that would take him to age 69 in theory. I don’t know what if any effect the auto-extension might have on the buyout.

I believe a win vs Northwestern and resulting bowl bid would also obligate IU to give Cig’s assistants an additional $500,000.

Darren Hiller is an Offensive Line Analyst this year at Auburn. Charlton Warren is the AHC and DB coach at North Carolina under Mack Brown.
I was actually being rhetorical. I don't care. But now that you answered, is that the same North Carolina that the depleted JMU team hung 70 on? Damn, that Warren guy is a coaching savant.

Depends on the schools involved. Some OC spots at elite programs would likely pay as much or more than some lower-tier HC gigs, but either way I’d be pleasantly surprised if Shanahan were still on staff next spring. And Sunseri appears to be in line for a promotion.
Shanahan has been with CC since the beginning at IU-Pennsylvania. I think there’s a rhyme and reason for that. He’s either being groomed as Cig’s successor or waiting for the right head coaching job. I’ve seen Oklahoma mentioned in this thread. They undoubtedly could pay more than IU, but at what risk/expense for Shanahan? Brent Venables is approaching the Oklahoma hot seat and with remaining games against Texas, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU he’ll most certainly be on it heading into 2025. Venables goes as do the rest of the staff and he’s back at ground zero.

Shanahan has been with CC since the beginning at IU-Pennsylvania. I think there’s a rhyme and reason for that. He’s either being groomed as Cig’s successor or waiting for the right head coaching job. I’ve seen Oklahoma mentioned in this thread. They undoubtedly could pay more than IU, but at what risk/expense for Shanahan? Brent Venables is approaching the Oklahoma hot seat and with remaining games against Texas, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU he’ll most certainly be on it heading into 2025. Venables goes as do the rest of the staff and he’s back at ground zero.
Venables is a good lesson for all these guys. No one was a better thought of coordinator when he took that job. Some can do it and some cannot. Better think twice.

When fans from SEC teams not on IU's schedule come over here to disparage the IU football program (during a season in which IU is winning in ways not seen since the 60's) it is actually a compliment. IU fans should simply add this to the list of reasons to celebrate this fun and exciting IU football season. WE KNOW something special is brewing in Bloomington and these posts from outsiders is an acknowledgement of the same. GO HOOSIERS !!!

Why undoubtedly? I don't actually think that's true. We've got the tv money and plenty of wealthy donors. What am I missing?

Not directed at me, but fwiw at a glance OU’s athletic dept revenue is about $200M vs us at $145M. Those big football programs make a boatload.
That's surprising. So, they bring in an extra $55M because they pack an 83,000 seat stadium 6-7 times per year? The math would go something like this: 43,000 more tickets than IU (assuming 40k avg attendance) x 7 home games x $84 per ticket = $25,284,000. Do they make another $30M on softball or something else?

Reactions: vesuvius13
IU might do that to keep this staff together, look at how much they paid to be rid of coach Allen.
IU didn't pay that, a donor did. IU wasn't going to fire Allen unless a donor or two stepped up.

I have little doubt that Cig and staff will see their salaries increased at the conclusion of the season. But I don't think Shanahan is going to go from making $800k this year to $2.5-3mil which he in theory could get from an SEC school like Oklahoma. I'm also not convinced that Shanahan would leave for a school like Oklahoma given their head coach could be gone as early as next year. Probably the only way they are going to get a quality coordinator is to heavily overpay.

That's surprising. So, they bring in an extra $55M because they pack an 83,000 seat stadium 6-7 times per year? The math would go something like this: 43,000 more tickets than IU (assuming 40k avg attendance) x 7 home games x $84 per ticket = $25,284,000. Do they make another $30M on softball or something else?
At a glance the big difference is donations, they got $60M (wow). Most goes to FB. We are usually around $20M donations. Idk who is sending them all that cash.

IU might do that to keep this staff together, look at how much they paid to be rid of coach Allen.
Depending on what jobs open up in the postseason, it’s likely about more than simply matching offers from other schools.

As I posted elsewhere, if a program like Akron approached Shanahan about becoming its next Head Coach, I think IU could match their offer and, given the current state of Akron’s program, IU might not even have to match it.

But if a program like Georgia were (for whatever reasons) in the market for an OC and interviewed Shanahan, I doubt if it would matter much whether IU matched UGA’s hypothetical offer or not. In that scenario, I think it would be more of a “non-financial” decision. Shanahan might feel that the money’s great at both places but joining Georgia’s staff would enhance his resume and accelerate his career. Or, maybe after interviewing with Smart he could think that his offensive philosophy and Smart’s are not a good match, and he might decide to stay in Bloomington.

If IU were to go 11-1 and make the CFB playoff, that proves to the coaching staff they can win big here and may reduce the allure of “blueblood” programs.

Reactions: 76-1 and grammy2
Bowl payouts or something?

Did you also watch our win against #6 ole miss? Lol, fluke win? Seems like that was a fluke loss. We played #1 UGA to the wire. Of course I follow football, it’s the SEC.

Id like to see IU play USC. Would be over at halftime.
Ol’Miss is a fraud. My brother in law is an alum so I follow them. They literally played a terrible schedule. Worse than us. Ol miss has the easiest schedule of all the SEC and still won’t make the playoffs. Don’t argue this with me As you know I’m right about this. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT