ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Jones coming back!

Does that mean he’s in classes now just not playing? Not sure how much he could miss (classes) are we? Seems like unless he’s ready to hang them up for good, he’ll be coming back if he’s not in all star games or the portal.

According to an IU assistant coach who was talking to a head coach of a high school when he was there recruiting a player Cam Jones was planning on coming back. This was in November so things could have changed.
I do not follow athletes on twitter but I did see a re-post recently where he picked his "one word". I took that to mean he was back, because it was posted along with others who were. Doesn't confirm anything, but leads one in a positive direction.

No, if you are not a senior and declare for the NFL draft, your eligibility is done.

if so, what a beyond terrible rule.

what exactly is the logic behind that?

if you go through the draft and don't get drafted, you should still be eligible, let alone pull out before draft day.

if a coach takes an interview with an NFL team, is he no longer eligible to coach in college?

what about an administrator who interviews with an NFL team about a job?

Kevin Warren was an NFL GM iirc.. shouldn't that make him ineligible to be the B10 commish, or have any college administrative job???

that said, would be a big plus if Cam returns.

I've often thought about that issue of players not being drafted, but not allowed to return to play in college. The only problem is that the college coach is caught in a bind because he won't know the status of the player until April. Should he leave a scholarship open, or fill it on a player who wants to go there? That's a tough call.

I've often thought about that issue of players not being drafted, but not allowed to return to play in college. The only problem is that the college coach is caught in a bind because he won't know the status of the player until April. Should he leave a scholarship open, or fill it on a player who wants to go there? That's a tough call.

A late signing period?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I do not follow athletes on twitter but I did see a re-post recently where he picked his "one word". I took that to mean he was back, because it was posted along with others who were. Doesn't confirm anything, but leads one in a positive direction.
I don't think he has listed his One Word for 2022, yet. If so, would for sure mean he was coming back. Hopefully, we see something soon. Really need him leading the LBs this year.

no different than a player entering the portal.

a coach wouldn't have to take back a player entering the "NFL portal", anymore so than taking back one entering the college portal.

no legit reason what so ever for a college player who puts his name in for the draft to lose his eligibility until he actual signs with a pro team.

if the coach and school have "moved on", so be it, but the player should still have his eligibility and the ability to play at another school.

when a rule seems 100% contrary to the student athlete's best interests, it's because it is.

I have been very surprised this basketball season to see that several players who had transferred a year ago to play at higher level programs have come back to their original teams.
Maybe they found they didn't receive the playing time they expected at their new teams. That probably doesn't happen in football.

no different than a player entering the portal.

a coach wouldn't have to take back a player entering the "NFL portal", anymore so than taking back one entering the college portal.

no legit reason what so ever for a college player who puts his name in for the draft to lose his eligibility until he actual signs with a pro team.

if the coach and school have "moved on", so be it, but the player should still have his eligibility and the ability to play at another school.

when a rule seems 100% contrary to the student athlete's best interests, it's because it is.
I think there is some difference between the transfer portal and entering the NFL draft. With the transfer portal there is a huge chance that he will leave IU, although there are some exceptions. Going to the NFL draft doesn't mean he would go to another college program if undrafted. In any case, it still leaves the college coach in a bind if the player would be allowed to return.

I think there is some difference between the transfer portal and entering the NFL draft. With the transfer portal there is a huge chance that he will leave IU, although there are some exceptions. Going to the NFL draft doesn't mean he would go to another college program if undrafted. In any case, it still leaves the college coach in a bind if the player would be allowed to return.
Woody recruited much of this year’s roster from the transfer portal … I’m sure our new IUFB coaches could recruit anyone deserving back … were there scholarships available.

Last edited:

sorry, but your post didn't seem to make sense to me.

and if a player entering the draft went undrafted, the coach wouldn't have to take him back just because he was still eligible, any more than they would have to take back a player who entered the portal but didn't go another school, who is still eligible..

perhaps you could reword your post so i could better grasp why you think a player putting his name in for the draft is pertinently different from a player entering the portal.

and if still eligible, no reason a player who entered the draft couldn't transfer to another school if not drafted, or return to his previous team if welcomed back.

not grasping who gains anything by deeming the player ineligible just because he applied for a job and wasn't hired, other than discouraging him from applying in the first place to benefit only the school, at the player's expense.

schools shouldn't be making eligibility rules specifically to discourage student athlete's from even applying for a great job, especially when doing so could very conceivably cause significant harm to said student athlete.

OK. I don't understand why you don't see a difference.

1. A player putting his name in the transfer portal is either unhappy at his current program or wants to see what interest there is for his services. In either case, he is seeking to leave, which he would not do if he was happy at his current location.

2. A player putting his name in for the NFL draft obviously believes he is good enough to play at the next level. He may not be dissatisfied with his current status, but wants to be paid if that is possible and knows of the risk of injury. What we are talking about is a chance of a player returning to his current program if he is undrafted and did not hire an agent. That will never happen unless the NCAA changes its rules. In a majority of cases the college coach may welcome him back, but may not know if the player may get drafted in the NFL or go to the CFL. The scholarship limit poses a problem for the coach if he would be allowed to take the player back.

OK. I don't understand why you don't see a difference.

1. A player putting his name in the transfer portal is either unhappy at his current program or wants to see what interest there is for his services. In either case, he is seeking to leave, which he would not do if he was happy at his current location.

2. A player putting his name in for the NFL draft obviously believes he is good enough to play at the next level. He may not be dissatisfied with his current status, but wants to be paid if that is possible and knows of the risk of injury. What we are talking about is a chance of a player returning to his current program if he is undrafted and did not hire an agent. That will never happen unless the NCAA changes its rules. In a majority of cases the college coach may welcome him back, but may not know if the player may get drafted in the NFL or go to the CFL. The scholarship limit poses a problem for the coach if he would be allowed to take the player back.

that's a totally incoherent and irrelevant argument as to why a player should lose his eligibility due to putting his name in for the draft.

and totally incoherant as to how the college portal differs from the pro portal.

totally incoherent can't be reasoned with, and irrelevant is irrelevant.

i could somehow be missing your point, if you actually have one, but pretty sure it's you on this one.

that's a totally incoherent and irrelevant argument as to why a player should lose his eligibility due to putting his name in for the draft.

and totally incoherant as to how the college portal differs from the pro portal.

totally incoherent can't be reasoned with, and irrelevant is irrelevant.

i could somehow be missing your point, if you actually have one, but pretty sure it's you on this one.
I never argued that a player should lose his eligibility due to putting his name in the draft. That must have been someone else. I only stated that it put his college coach in a difficult position, not knowing if he will come back to IU, provided he does not get drafted.

You stated the player could go anywhere if undrafted and wants to return to college ball. That's true, if all the FBS coaches wanted to leave openings on the chance the player may go there. I would think those coaches would rather fill those openings earlier with high school recruits and transfers shortly after the season.

I was not being argumentative about this and I don't know what your problem is on this. It would take a change by the NCAA to even make this happen

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think letting them declare for the draft & come back if undrafted makes a lot of sense for the majority of the kids anyway. I think lots of them sign with agents to help pay for pre-draft workouts/living expenses, which would certainly ruin amateur status. And with the way the NFL operates, you're just as likely to make a team as a UFA than you are as a 6th or 7th round pick. I don't like the optics of a kid going undrafted, listening to offers from pro teams, then deciding it's not worth it and going back to school. Call me old fashioned, but that seems like a bridge too far.

Doesn't the NBA have some rule where kids can declare for the draft, talk to a bunch of scouts, and rescind it (before signing with an agent) if they get the word that they don't have a pro shot that season?

So are we only waiting on possibly 2 guys who could conceivably come back? Thomas Allen & J Burgess? Have not heard anything on these 2 - realize that we are currently at 85….

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT