ADVERTISEMENT

Cal State University system says no to fall classes

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
That’s about 480,000 students. ‘‘This is not to he confused with the University of California system. Will they opt for an open campus so they can play sports?

Reactions: vesuvius13
The end of in person college as we know it. Once these kids figure out you can get your degree online for a fraction of the cost and it’s much easier to obtain. Why go back???

Reactions: Jssanto
Because everyone knows that online degrees are worthless.
That may be true now and in some cases. But I do think that we are learning that we can do things via on line. Employers may choose to not pay for the cost of square footage (heating, cooling, tax) when some of their employees can do their job from home. Time will tell.

That may be true now and in some cases. But I do think that we are learning that we can do things via on line. Employers may choose to not pay for the cost of square footage (heating, cooling, tax) when some of their employees can do their job from home. Time will tell.

My company will not be going back to the office until September 1 at the earliest.

I said that as the regional branches start to have leases come up I'd imagine they won't be renewed. We simply don't need to spend that money to be able to thrive as a company.

My company will not be going back to the office until September 1 at the earliest.

I said that as the regional branches start to have leases come up I'd imagine they won't be renewed. We simply don't need to spend that money to be able to thrive as a company.
I work for the University of Cincinnati and they are looking at August/September at the earliest for the IT group to return. They've already said there won't be anything on campus for the summer. I work with the Provost's Office and they're looking to convert as many of the courses to remote learning as they can for the fall semester. Professors are currently teaching classes as if students are present, recording them and posting them online for the students to view. My son finished his biology degree about a week ago and the last half of his final semester was done remote. He wished all his classes had been done that way; no drive, no parking, watch and do homework on his schedule. The biggest problem with going remote are classes with a required lab. They are trying to figure if they can split labs across multiple days and have a portion of the enrolled students show up on alternating days.

Simply put, there is no way that we will have a college football season in 2020 and even likely that all college campuses will be closed. The times they are a changing.

The way we conduct business and are educated will be forever changed as a result of this pandemic. With respect to higher ed, we were already trending toward online education, but the pandemic is accelerating the transition. For example, there's simply no need for huge lecture halls anymore. Nothing is lost when those classes are conducted online.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Lab is the only reason for on campus. If you have a degree which doesn’t require a lab...there’s no reason to step foot on a college campus again. And Indiana currently offers a whole heck of a lot of degrees that don’t require a lab. And a lot of things they consider a “lab” don’t have to be done in person. I really think it’s the beginning of the end for a whole heck of a lot of colleges. My wife completed her entire degree online. Make fun all you want but her employer couldn’t have given a flip. All they cared about was she was a college graduate with a great reputation.

Reactions: jsenleo
Heck I’m already worried about what we’re doing with our elementary aged kids this Fall. Not sure how We’re supposed to juggle jobs and educate them at home Full time. This spring has been a cluster. If the Covid doesn’t kill me, the stress it’s putting on our family will for sure.

That’s about 480,000 students. ‘‘This is not to he confused with the University of California system. Will they opt for an open campus so they can play sports?
Opening up as very little to do with Sports in all reality. Sure Athletics Departments will suffer, but staying closed will cripple the academic side in many ways, especially large universities.

I have no clue about California State University or their position in research and patents and government deals, but they seem to be a very small player in that game by what I can tell. They can probably survive closing and not loose too much moving forward, but we shall see.

And it's California too, which is almost it's own country. Will be interesting moving forward as once again, politics and money over anything else takes place on the battlefield. I foresee civil unrest in these states that are staying closed while others are opening up. Playing sports is going to be the least of their worries soon.

Reactions: DANC
In Florida we have already wtartwd moving away from seat time. This years graduating class was required to take at least one online class for graduation.
The schools will have to open back up in order for parents to go back to work.
I know that they have talked about leaving campuses closed to summer s hoop and summer camps it will be interesting to see what they do about leasing. It is major source of revenue for schools. We have a church at our w hoop that pays $50-60,000 a year to use our auditorium

Also governor De Santos opened up the state to allow pro teams to begin practice. Said that teams that were in an area where it was still closed they find them places to practice in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT