ADVERTISEMENT

CA Minimum wage law - Exempt people

Couple things:

1. He was already exempt and always has been
2. His inflation increase will easily top everybody else's for the foreseeable future
3. You'd be unsurprised by how little I know about labor laws.
4. I question why we didn't immediately move him to hourly when this became known.
To points 3 and 4, you really don’t want this person to be an hourly employee. Cali labor laws regarding non exempt employees are not for the feint of heart. There’s not much difference as anywhere else with exempt employees, so it’s much easier to deal with.

Reactions: larsIU
Misclassification of workers as employees vs independent contractors is a pet issue of mine. I’ve never given much thought thought to exempt vs not.

Assuming the CA solution is dumb, do we think it’s a problem and what is a better solution.

Reactions: UncleMark
To points 3 and 4, you really don’t want this person to be an hourly employee. Cali labor laws regarding non exempt employees are not for the feint of heart. There’s not much difference as anywhere else with exempt employees, so it’s much easier to deal with.
Yeah, I don't really want that. I prefer exempt. I'd just never learned of this law and was shocked at how it's almost willfully obtuse.

Misclassification of workers as employees vs independent contractors is a pet issue of mine. I’ve never given much thought thought to exempt vs not.

Assuming the CA solution is dumb, do we think it’s a problem and what is a better solution.
The CA solution is certainly dumb as it lacks any creativity whatsoever. "Why don't we just double the hourly minimum" "Harrumph, harrumph harrumph" and it was over.

Pretty much every midsize company and above that has employees all over the country already consider geographical region when considering salary. CA stepped in and decided that wasn't good enough., Which is certainly their right. But how this keeps low level and mid level jobs that can be done for 50k in Iowa in CA is beyond me.

Unless of course it's all hourly.

This just went into effect. Before that even happened, the facts are not positive...

Chipotle's CFO told Yahoo Finance that the company will be forced to increase their prices to comply with the minimum wage increase.

Some pizza-chain operators in California are laying off drivers ahead of the wage law’s start and farming out delivery service to apps. Franchisees for Pizza Hut and Round Table Pizza, a chain of around 400 units founded in Menlo Park, Calif., have said they plan to lay off around 1,280 delivery drivers this year, according to records that major employers must submit to the state before large layoffs.

In San Jose, Brian Hom, owner of two Vitality Bowls restaurants, now runs his stores with two employees, versus four workers that he typically used in the past. That means it takes longer to make customers’ açaí bowls and other orders, and Hom said he is also raising prices by around 10% to help cover the increased labor costs.

“I’m definitely not going to hire anymore,” he said.

Some California restaurant operators are making such moves now. California-based

El Pollo Loco LOCO 1.13%increase; green up pointing triangle
told investors this month it was automating some of its salsa-making as it grapples with anticipated wage inflation of 12% to 14% this year, largely because of the minimum-wage increase. Jack in the Box is testing fryer robots and automated drink dispensers to reduce the burger chain’s labor needs.

Excalibur Pizza, owner of Round Table Pizza locations in California, said in a state filing that it would eliminate 73 driver positions, or 21% of its workforce, by mid-April. A spokeswoman for Fat Brands, Round Table’s California-based owner, said the layoffs were unfortunate, but many operators in the state are shifting to outside delivery services because of rising costs.

Alexander Johnson, a second-generation owner of 10 California Auntie Anne’s and Cinnabon restaurants, said the higher wages would lift his labor costs by around $470,000 annually. He has reduced his staff by about 10, and his 73-year-old parents have returned to working in the business to help shave costs.

This just went into effect. Before that even happened, the facts are not positive...

Chipotle's CFO told Yahoo Finance that the company will be forced to increase their prices to comply with the minimum wage increase.

Some pizza-chain operators in California are laying off drivers ahead of the wage law’s start and farming out delivery service to apps. Franchisees for Pizza Hut and Round Table Pizza, a chain of around 400 units founded in Menlo Park, Calif., have said they plan to lay off around 1,280 delivery drivers this year, according to records that major employers must submit to the state before large layoffs.

In San Jose, Brian Hom, owner of two Vitality Bowls restaurants, now runs his stores with two employees, versus four workers that he typically used in the past. That means it takes longer to make customers’ açaí bowls and other orders, and Hom said he is also raising prices by around 10% to help cover the increased labor costs.

Some California restaurant operators are making such moves now. California-based

told investors this month it was automating some of its salsa-making as it grapples with anticipated wage inflation of 12% to 14% this year, largely because of the minimum-wage increase. Jack in the Box is testing fryer robots and automated drink dispensers to reduce the burger chain’s labor needs.

Excalibur Pizza, owner of Round Table Pizza locations in California, said in a state filing that it would eliminate 73 driver positions, or 21% of its workforce, by mid-April. A spokeswoman for Fat Brands, Round Table’s California-based owner, said the layoffs were unfortunate, but many operators in the state are shifting to outside delivery services because of rising costs.

Alexander Johnson, a second-generation owner of 10 California Auntie Anne’s and Cinnabon restaurants, said the higher wages would lift his labor costs by around $470,000 annually. He has reduced his staff by about 10, and his 73-year-old parents have returned to working in the business to help shave costs.
Job losses and price increases. shocker

Just a bunch of greedy capitalists. This can’t be true. Progressive economics dictates that owners can absorb all costs, even if something such as this might cause their expenses to increase, which of course is questionable. It’s why the hourly rate should really be set at $50.00 so all workers can have a livable income.

There are more than enough profits already.

Just a bunch of greedy capitalists. This can’t be true. Progressive economics dictates that owners can absorb all costs, even if something such as this might cause their expenses to increase, which of course is questionable. It’s why the hourly rate should really be set at $50.00 so all workers can have a livable income.

There are more than enough profits already.
Now to just cap e'rbody wages, all equal. You are not allowed to make more then your neighbor. That will make the US totally democratic. Everybody make $1,000 an hour. Taxed at $999 per hour. The Dem plan is working !! OHH and everyone works for the feral government.

How does minimum wage in 1980 compare to today in real wages?

What was average middle class income in 1980 and how has it fared since (i.e., has there been wage stagnation for that group)?

What was average CEO-to-regular worker ration in 1980 and what is it today?

How have effective income tax rates changed for, say, top 0.1% since 1980?

How have corporate profits fared since 1980?

What are the impacts of the answers to those questions?

These data points might not tell a singular story, but since you all seem expert on public policy and the impacts of this wage & hour change in California, I'd think you'd have fully fleshed out thoughts on all of this. After all, whether something will be different tomorrow compared to today isn't the only way to look at a law when you at least need to think about how the law today is working and how the various dynamics have evolved over time.

IIUC, the wage before this increase was $16, so the numbers above don't add up.

What was average middle class income in 1980 and how has it fared since (i.e., has there been wage stagnation for that group)?

These data points might not tell a singular story, but since you all seem expert on public policy and the impacts of this wage & hour change in California, I'd think you'd have fully fleshed out thoughts on all of this. After all, whether something will be different tomorrow compared to today isn't the only way to look at a law when you at least need to think about how the law today is working and how the various dynamics have evolved over time.

I have a hard time begrudging working people getting a raise. Of course, I'm a Kommie Boomer taker.

vitality bowls went out of business by me. those acai bowls are fantastic. big loss

• Wow
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Food costs are also much higher. It's a bit dishonest for any restaurateur to blame this entirely on labor.
food costs are definitely higher and the restaurant business is definitely a hard business. we eat out a lot less because it simply isn't worth the cost. $20 for 12 wings etc. just isn't worth it when most of the time they're shitty and service is shitty. but the entire thing is short sighted in that fast food restaurants will raise prices, automate, etc. i will say there's something inherently/fundamentally wrong with the mindset involved in arguments i've seen. these jobs were long seen as part time, for kids, retirees, etc. now you hear "how can we live on this while working at mcdonalds." well you can't and aren't intended to. it's pocket money while you go to college/ trade school or do landscaping or whatever to get yourself going. now to sustain a life. what's next for the lunatic politicians in calif? snow cone stand at the park not offering health insurance?

food costs are definitely higher and the restaurant business is definitely a hard business. we eat out a lot less because it simply isn't worth the cost. $20 for 12 wings etc. just isn't worth it when most of the time they're shitty and service is shitty. but the entire thing is short sighted in that fast food restaurants will raise prices, automate, etc. i will say there's something inherently/fundamentally wrong with the mindset involved in arguments i've seen. these jobs were long seen as part time, for kids, retirees, etc. now you hear "how can we live on this while working at mcdonalds." well you can't and aren't intended to. it's pocket money while you go to college/ trade school or do landscaping or whatever to get yourself going. now to sustain a life. what's next for the lunatic politicians in calif? snow cone stand at the park not offering health insurance?
A roll of 2" masking tape at Lowes... $8.67 For cheap azz tape.

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens

Adjusted for inflation the min wage in 1980 is about $11/hr today. Since nobody really makes min wage anymore and most (if not all) jobs start at about $10/hr (my daughter just got hired in IN at Chipotle for $14/hr), I would consider this somewhat a wash. Now, I don't know if, in 1980, everybody was hired at $5/hr instad of the min wage of $3.10/hr but that is definitely a possibility. But, it's safe to say the min wage has not kept up with inflation at the national level anyway.

Middle class incomes have certainly not kept up with inflation. Found data from 1970 showing the median income (in 2020 dollars) rose from 59k in 1970 to over 90k today. So, pretty terrible actually. Why is this? I suspect our move from manufacturing to service sector jobs, automation, the usual stuff.

CEO pay has gone bonkers. No denying that. But we have to remember that "maximizing shareholder value" became a thing and CEOs are primarity paid via stock options or other incentive methods which rely on their ability to inflate (in a real or even fictitious sense) the value of their company's stock.

Top tax rate in 1980 was (i think) 70%. Today it's what, like 37%? Oof. AGain, though, that's income tax and we know most that would even be affected by this get their comp through other less tax sensitive avenues.

Corporate profits have fared pretty well though most shit i skimmed seemed to show they still pale in comparison the late 40's/early 50's but that's largely due to the booming post war economy. There was significant anti trust legislation/enforcement from the 40's through the 70's but that died in the early 80's and conglomerates/mergers started up. Obviously, profits went up. I'd assume corporate tax rates getting sliced in 2017 probably helped quite a bit as well. Should we pay workers more? Probably. But how much? And what do you do in the years where you might have a recession, etc. Fire the workers? Ask them to take a pay cut. I think, of all the above, this is the most persnickety and probably reuqires the longest answer.

So what do we do? Legislate our way out of it? If CA is any indicator, business will downsize their workforce, raise prices, or leave. That doens't help the consumer (the worker) either.

Do you believe the minimum wage should be a liveable wage? For how many people? One, Two? A whole family?

A roll of 2" masking tape at Lowes... $8.67 For cheap azz tape.
i'm not. ****ing. arounddddddddd. this is our pub. no fries or chips with those burgers son and sodas about $3.00 plus. and the pretzels are just three straight pretzels. the wings are tiny little things

Pub Pretzels
Three pretzels dipped in garlic butter and salted. Served with your choice of pepper cheese sauce or house-made whiskey mustard.
$12.99

Dragon Wings
One pound of traditional chicken wings with your choice of sauce: Llywelyn's original, dragon's breath, honey garlic, or firecracker.
$17.99

The Pub Burger
Our award winning Pub Burger is pan seared and topped with caramelized onions, crispy bacon and soft sharp cheddar. Served on a toasted alehouse bun.
$15.59

1/2lb Burger
A Half Pound Burger cooked to your liking. Topped with your choice of lettuce, onion, tomato and pickle and served on a toasted brioche bun.
$14.49

Welsh Potato Chips
The Original St. Louis Pub Chip! Ours are hand sliced very thinkly and fried to perfection. Great with a Pint! Add a side of pepper cheese to top off the experience.
$4.99

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
i'm not. ****ing. arounddddddddd. this is our pub. no fries or chips with those burgers son and sodas about $3.00 plus. and the pretzels are just three straight pretzels. the wings are tiny little things

Pub Pretzels
Three pretzels dipped in garlic butter and salted. Served with your choice of pepper cheese sauce or house-made whiskey mustard.
$12.99

Dragon Wings
One pound of traditional chicken wings with your choice of sauce: Llywelyn's original, dragon's breath, honey garlic, or firecracker.
$17.99

The Pub Burger
Our award winning Pub Burger is pan seared and topped with caramelized onions, crispy bacon and soft sharp cheddar. Served on a toasted alehouse bun.
$15.59

1/2lb Burger
A Half Pound Burger cooked to your liking. Topped with your choice of lettuce, onion, tomato and pickle and served on a toasted brioche bun.
$14.49

Welsh Potato Chips
The Original St. Louis Pub Chip! Ours are hand sliced very thinkly and fried to perfection. Great with a Pint! Add a side of pepper cheese to top off the experience.
$4.99
Anybody that eats soft pretzels with beer is a ****ing loony bin

Adjusted for inflation the min wage in 1980 is about $11/hr today. Since nobody really makes min wage anymore and most (if not all) jobs start at about $10/hr (my daughter just got hired in IN at Chipotle for $14/hr), I would consider this somewhat a wash. Now, I don't know if, in 1980, everybody was hired at $5/hr instad of the min wage of $3.10/hr but that is definitely a possibility. But, it's safe to say the min wage has not kept up with inflation at the national level anyway.

Middle class incomes have certainly not kept up with inflation. Found data from 1970 showing the median income (in 2020 dollars) rose from 59k in 1970 to over 90k today. So, pretty terrible actually. Why is this? I suspect our move from manufacturing to service sector jobs, automation, the usual stuff.

CEO pay has gone bonkers. No denying that. But we have to remember that "maximizing shareholder value" became a thing and CEOs are primarity paid via stock options or other incentive methods which rely on their ability to inflate (in a real or even fictitious sense) the value of their company's stock.

Top tax rate in 1980 was (i think) 70%. Today it's what, like 37%? Oof. AGain, though, that's income tax and we know most that would even be affected by this get their comp through other less tax sensitive avenues.

Corporate profits have fared pretty well though most shit i skimmed seemed to show they still pale in comparison the late 40's/early 50's but that's largely due to the booming post war economy. There was significant anti trust legislation/enforcement from the 40's through the 70's but that died in the early 80's and conglomerates/mergers started up. Obviously, profits went up. I'd assume corporate tax rates getting sliced in 2017 probably helped quite a bit as well. Should we pay workers more? Probably. But how much? And what do you do in the years where you might have a recession, etc. Fire the workers? Ask them to take a pay cut. I think, of all the above, this is the most persnickety and probably reuqires the longest answer.

So what do we do? Legislate our way out of it? If CA is any indicator, business will downsize their workforce, raise prices, or leave. That doens't help the consumer (the worker) either.

Do you believe the minimum wage should be a liveable wage? For how many people? One, Two? A whole family?
I don't have handy answers.

I just don't think it's an absolute and obvious given that we must protect at all costs the perks available to the groups enjoying the greatest and outsized outcomes over the past 40 years. I also don't think we should accept at face value without question the "good" of those groups effectively holding us hostage because they might just take their ball and go home if they don't continue to receive that same level of benefit regardless of outcomes being dealt to the rest of us.

I don't have handy answers.

I just don't think it's an absolute and obvious given that we must protect at all costs the perks available to the groups enjoying the greatest and outsized outcomes over the past 40 years. I also don't think we should accept at face value without question the "good" of those groups effectively holding us hostage because they might just take their ball and go home if they don't continue to receive that same level of benefit regardless of outcomes being dealt to the rest of us.
i haven't read it so don't really understand it and probably should before commenting but that's the nature of this board sooooo .... it doesn't seem very well thought out. inferring it says 60 locations with the presumed intent of targeting heavy hitters. but @JamieDimonsBalls article cites vitality bowls and an owner w/ just two locations. that's mom and pop stuff there. as would be a single franchisee who i suspect would be subject to this deal. did they not contemplate single franchisees in their capricious 60 target?

Pub Pretzels
$12.99

Dragon Wings
$17.99

The Pub Burger
$15.59

1/2lb Burger
$14.49

Welsh Potato Chips
$4.99
Totally unrelated, but I will leave this hear. I found it totally hilarious !! I told my brother, a total lib, exec at Lilly... He didn't think it was cute. Of course, he got ALL of the empathy in the family.
I was in a hotel in Asheville NC last week. I ordered a dbl Grey goose, water, little ice lemon.
The young dazed looking bartender, says.... BUT... goose shot are $14 each.... I said... OK.
She then started writing the ticket for the drink, grabbed the calculator, typed in "14 + 14 = 28". Slowly writes $28 om my ticket, and turns it to me for a signature with a look like, ... This is an offer you can't turn down.
You needed a fvckin calculator to stiff arm me? Really?" a fvckin calculator to x2 !?

Totally unrelated, but I will leave this hear. I found it totally hilarious !! I told my brother, a total lib, exec at Lilly... He didn't think it was cute. Of course, he got ALL of the empathy in the family.
I was in a hotel in Asheville NC last week. I ordered a dbl Grey goose, water, little ice lemon.
The young dazed looking bartender, says.... BUT... goose shot are $14 each.... I said... OK.
She then started writing the ticket for the drink, grabbed the calculator, typed in "14 + 14 = 28". Slowly writes $28 om my ticket, and turns it to me for a signature with a look like, ... This is an offer you can't turn down.
You needed a fvckin calculator to stiff arm me? Really?" a fvckin calculator to x2 !?
THEY CAN'T WRITE EITHER.

Tapped the neighbor's bumper tyring to pull out of our street already. That took about two months. Also, she ran her car into a ditch when her water bottle (i.e. phone) fell on the floor. Which cost me about $400 for a tire and alignment. but no body damage.

So yeah. SHE'S DOING GREAT

Tapped the neighbor's bumper tyring to pull out of our street already. That took about two months. Also, she ran her car into a ditch when her water bottle (i.e. phone) fell on the floor. Which cost me about $400 for a tire and alignment. but no body damage.

So yeah. SHE'S DOING GREAT
The crack head daughter that I keep talking about..
Vehcile #1... Drove from Nashville Indiana to Ellettsville with the enginer light on, steam coming from the hood, water pump went out. I havn't seen one burnt that bad in a long time. no call, no text... just get home (stoned on meth)
#2 - Fell "asleep" at 2am, launched it across an intersetion on Gifford Road in Bloomington. Cops call and say come get her or she's going to jail.. Totally destroyed the front end undercarriage on a concrete culvert abutment.
#3 - very first trip, 20 minutes from throwing her the keys.. "hit a pot hole" that busted the passenger side lower A arm. Wood chunks between the tire and wheel, sheet metal destroyed. Stoned again
WW3 when I refused $.01 penny for any other thing in her life until she cleaned up... She stayed home for 4 years... Going out one time........... Knocked up with her second kid.

Minimum wage was $3.10 in 1980. Adjustment for inflation that is $11.67.

Family owned ethnic joints are key. They don't have to follow the minimum wage laws.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I worked at a car dealership back in the 70s when Indiana doubled the sales tax from 2% to 4%. Old salesman didn't know his fours but he knew his twos, so he would figure it by multiplying by two and then doing it again and then adding them together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT