ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz on IU from CBS

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
Unceremoniously lifted from The Daily Hoosier's fine continuing coverage of all things IU:
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/cbs...improving-and-gaining-individual-recognition/

CBS’ Jon Rothstein Sees Hoosiers Improving and Gaining Individual Recognition

July 23, 2018 Mike Schumann IUBB 1

With Hoosier Hysteria just over two months away, it isn’t too soon to start thinking about the 2018-19 college basketball season. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein is doing just that, releasing today via Twitter his views on the Big Ten power rankings and a number of individual honors.

Rothstein is a college basketball writer and on-air personality for CBS Sports, WFAN, and the FRS Sports Network. He is also an AP voter for the college basketball rankings.

It is always a healthy reality check to hear what independent voices in the national media are saying. Here is what Rothstein had to say about the upcoming 2018-19 Big Ten men’s basketball season.

Big Ten Power Rankings

1. Michigan State
2. Michigan
3. Nebraska
4. Indiana
5. Wisconsin
6. Maryland
7. Minnesota
8. Iowa
9. Purdue
10. Ohio State
11. Penn State
12. Illinois
13. Northwestern
14. Rutgers

Fourth is a reasonable spot for the Hoosiers. We picked them to finish in first in our first attempt at predicting the standings, but fully acknowledge that there are between six and eight teams that could get hot and make a run. We see this as one of the more balanced and wide open Big Ten conference races in recent memory.

Rothstein also called Minnesota his “sleeper team.” We agree that the Gophers are likely to be much improved, but our top sleeper team for 2018-19 is Iowa, which returns its top eight scorers from last year.

Ten Impact Transfers- Evan Fitzner

Rothstein sees Fitzner making an impact for the Hoosiers this season. Known for his perimeter shooting, the 6-foot-10 St. Mary’s graduate transfer comes from a winning program, and can help space the floor for the Hoosiers.

Ten Breakout Players – Justin Smith

If his 48-inch vertical is any indication, Smith has nowhere to go but up this season. The Illinois native closed out the season strong in 2017-18. Finishing strong through contact around the basket is likely what will help him breakout in 2018-19.

Ten Under the Radar Freshmen – Robert Phinisee

This one just makes sense, and Archie Miller has already alluded to it in his press conference in May at the Huber Winery. As a true point guard, Phinisee fills a need and will likely see significant minutes from day one.

Fifteen Impact Freshmen – Romeo Langford

It isn’t clear whether Rothstein was listing players in any specific order, but Langford was listed first and it would be difficult to argue against the notion that he is coming in with the highest expectations. The New Albany, Indiana native is the top rated incoming recruit in the conference.

Noticeably absent from the freshmen categories is Ohio native Jerome Hunter. He seems like a lock to be a high impact freshman. Given his exclusion from these lists, for now the better description might just be “under the radar.”

All-Big Ten First Team – Juwan Morgan

This is why Morgan is coming back. After making the second team last year, first team All-Big Ten would reflect the progress that Morgan hopes to see to hear his name called in the 2019 NBA Draft.

Hoosier fans are of course hoping that Langford also makes a push for All-Big Ten first team honors. It will be a tall task with a crowded group of veterans rounding out Rothstein’s list:

Carsen Edwards, Purdue
James Palmer, Nebraska
Juwan Morgan, Indiana
Jordan Murphy, Minnesota
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin

Reactions: snowling
I'm not sure if those insights into the players were part of the CBS article or the writer reporting on it. If it was CBS (doubtful), it represents someone with more than a brief research on our team. I agree with the assessment on Smith and Phinisee. I'm curious if Archie has confirmed his thought on Rob playing a bigger role now that he has seen him workout on campus.

There is more to vertical leap to measure a basketball player, but the improvement in the last quarter or half of the season does give Smith a higher level of expectation. Finishing with contact is a good example. He also seemed more explosive and an improvement you don't typically see during a season.

Romeo, Juwan, and Justin give are 3 players that we can build on. Fitzner gives me the feeling of having experience and stability in a position we often don't have it. A great pick up by Archie. I will wait and see how the PG position is filled. Archie will pick the best option.

It is always a healthy reality check to hear what independent voices in the national media are saying.

I'm not sure I fully agree with Schumann on this point. In my experience, national guys look at things from a 30,000 foot view. As such, they tend to repeat a lot of what might be described as highly generalized conventional wisdom.

But, then, most of the people who are close to the action aren't "independent" -- so, from them, you're likely to get better information, but with some bias.

So, yeah, I guess it can be a reality check in the sense that it's unbiased. But it's probably going to be based on pretty stale information.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Well anything not based on watching practice or direct talks with Coaches/Players is going to be somewhat "generalized". Agree it reflects perceptions hereabouts and certainly doesn't contain anything new or unreported here, though characterizing that as conventional "wisdom" rather than "wishfulness" might be a reach. My two cents (on the latter) is that IU's defense is going to be much improved (even without DD to start the Season) and that the offense won't be far behind.

Still too early to 'harvest' much of anything - beg pardon for sharing green fruit and nuts gleaned from the net.

Looking at the team and how key players have changed, 4th would be a pretty big disappointment. Just look at the pics of Morgan now vs last year. This is the most depth and talent we have had since at least 2012. Nebraska was a fluke based largely on teams overlooking them early. Michigan and MSU are dealing with some huge losses in the player dept. Everyone they have at the top will be relatively young. I'd call either Iowa, PSU, or OSU my "sleepers". Purdue has a chance to be good, but probably won't sniff the top 4...

Phinesee as a true PG is most likely to succeed of all of the freshmen besides Romeo. Romeo is the top talent in the B1G.

Last edited:
Looking at the team and how key players have changed, 4th would be a pretty big disappointment. Just look at the pics of Morgan now vs last year. This is the most depth and talent we have had since at least 2012. Nebraska was a fluke based largely on teams overlooking them early. Michigan and MSU are dealing with some huge losses in the player dept. Everyone they have at the top will be relatively young. I'd call either Iowa, PSU, or OSU my "sleepers". Purdue has a chance to be good, but probably won't sniff the top 4...
Sometimes tie breakers can land you in fourth. If you aren't winning the conference, 2-4 doesn't concern me too much.

We do have talent, but a lot of it has zero or one year of experience. I want to see the team before I start planning a top 3 B1G finish. I would only commit to 2 locks to start.

I can't wait to see our new players. Someone is going to rise above the rest.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Unranked Purdue recruit Emmanuel Dowuona is an "impact freshman" over Jerome Hunter and Phinisee? Dowuona has potential, but he is a project, especially after sitting out last season due to eligibility issues. At best, maybe he can make an impact at the defensive end filling in for Matt Haarms, but anything they get from him this season is a bonus and he should probably redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT