ADVERTISEMENT

Butler's D on final play:

darkhawk returns

All-Big Ten
Nov 7, 2006
I don't understand why everyone is so negative. Butler's D was designed to make sure Morgan and Romeo did not have a chance to beat them. It was executed perfectly (as you would expect from Butler....aided by a Romeo slip). They set up to stop the ball and make Smith or Rob beat them. Rob made a huge shot (which he has done quite a few times before in late game situations. Why not be happy about a great play on a solid defensive possession? Why is winning close games early with a very young team not a positive sign? Am I just feeding the trolls?

My issue with our last play is that it was so obvious what we were doing on that play that it made it so easy for Butler to press up on Romeo as he was the only one running off screens and hence the only option. 9 times out of 10 that last play results in overtime and people wondering why there wasn't multiple options set up on that last play. Gritty victory no doubt, but this squad has to start getting more cohesive on offense (not just on that last play).

I don't understand why everyone is so negative. Butler's D was designed to make sure Morgan and Romeo did not have a chance to beat them. It was executed perfectly (as you would expect from Butler....aided by a Romeo slip). They set up to stop the ball and make Smith or Rob beat them. Rob made a huge shot (which he has done quite a few times before in late game situations. Why not be happy about a great play on a solid defensive possession? Why is winning close games early with a very young team not a positive sign? Am I just feeding the trolls?
I was impressed that during the crucial last 5 minutes, IU made the big plays, didn't make bad plays and had NO turnovers.

Does anyone notice that Archie stood motionless at the scorers table as the entire play and shot was up and went in? Maybe he's just annoyed as most of us about some of the play out there. If u havent noticed go out and look at some replays. Dude would be a heck of a poker player

My issue with our last play is that it was so obvious what we were doing on that play that it made it so easy for Butler to press up on Romeo as he was the only one running off screens and hence the only option. 9 times out of 10 that last play results in overtime and people wondering why there wasn't multiple options set up on that last play. Gritty victory no doubt, but this squad has to start getting more cohesive on offense (not just on that last play).
What I saw was the play broke down and Green made a pass to someone with a better opportunity to score. He could have thrown up a shot, but he found Rob for the win. Maybe Green is making progress.

Reactions: MrBing and ufo33
Does anyone notice that Archie stood motionless at the scorers table as the entire play and shot was up and went in? Maybe he's just annoyed as most of us about some of the play out there. If u havent noticed go out and look at some replays. Dude would be a heck of a poker player

archie said that Butler blew the play up. Impressed that the kids did not panic and turn it over. We have two great head basketball coaches.

we made no effort to get the ball to morgan. he went all steve eyl on their ass

i thought he was waiting for official review before reacting

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
whatever happened to "pop out, back cut". so sick of seeing players posting up 20 feet from the basket and/or playing with their back to the basket. man, i'm getting so old

we made no effort to get the ball to morgan. he went all steve eyl on their ass
The play was to get the ball to Romeo and try to get him a shot going to the basket. I didn't pay attention to where Juwan was, but I assume he was clearing out the lane and ready to follow the shot if missed or be open if Romeo dropped the ball off on the drive.

I thought that he was concerned whether or not Rob's shot was going to be wiped out. If memory serves he released the ball with .2 on the clock. In real time who can really know for sure?

What I saw was the play broke down and Green made a pass to someone with a better opportunity to score. He could have thrown up a shot, but he found Rob for the win. Maybe Green is making progress.
I hope so!

Reactions: ufo33
whatever happened to "pop out, back cut". so sick of seeing players posting up 20 feet from the basket and/or playing with their back to the basket. man, i'm getting so old

Did you see highlights of the Belmont upset at UCLA? Great back cut that got Belmont the winning basket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT