ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Dawkins

I don't think you understood my post. I acknowledged he was a great talent. Lewis' 2007 season was incredible, but he wasn't a very good QB the following year (e.g. he threw more picks than TDs), and had been moved to WR before he left. That's not opinion, it's fact. And if off-the-field factors contributed to his decline, that doesn't negate the decline. Also fact: Dawkins' career ANY/A is marginally better than Lewis', and his YPA is significantly better. And he's got one more year to go, with an immensely talented and experienced stable of guys to throw the ball to (Westbrook, Hale, Timian, Harris). Could be a huge year for him.

P.S. Our strength at QB goes back a lot further than 20 years (e.g. Dave Schnell, Trent Green).
Big 10 Player of the Year Tim Clifford

And the always popular Babe Laufenberg.

Wow, my bad; can't believe I overlooked them. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Tim Clifford was one of my faves. He could ball.

He, a WR whose name I can't think of, and I think Lonnie Johnson (RB) all got married the summer before their Senior seasons. They'd won the Holiday Bowl as Juniors in the '78 season. In '79, they were supposed to have a good year, but ended up mediocre, if I remember correctly. I always blamed the key players for getting married for that. lol I may be off by a year - I think we won the Holiday Bowl New Years day in '79, but it could have been the next year. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Babe Laufenberg always reminded me of Daryl Lamonica - the mad bomber. He could make that ball fly!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but I think Dawkins is better and with a bigger arm. Lewis had a good 2006, an unbelievable 2007 Insight Bowl season (helped immeasurably by James Hardy's monster season) but things dropped off dramatically in 2008 after Hardy's departure. In fact, Lewis split time with Ben Chappell in 2008, then moved to WR prior to his dismissal from the team before the start of the 2009 season. Clearly, though, he was a great talent.
i don't recall him being moved to wr. but if he was i doubt it was because he was beaten out by chappell.

Last edited:
Tim Clifford was one of my faves. He could ball.

He, a WR whose name I can't think of, and I think Lonnie Johnson (RB) all got married the summer before their Senior seasons. They'd won the Holiday Bowl as Juniors in the '78 season. In '79, they were supposed to have a good year, but ended up mediocre, if I remember correctly. I always blamed the key players for getting married for that. lol I may be off by a year - I think we won the Holiday Bowl New Years day in '79, but it could have been the next year. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Babe Laufenberg always reminded me of Daryl Lamonica - the mad bomber. He could make that ball fly!
in the 50 years i've been following iufb, the best qbs i've seen, in no particular order are gonso clifford schnell ARE and kellen. we've had other good ones but those guys were a notch above.

My senior year was the 1979 Holiday Bowl and we beat BYU. Tim Clifford led the offense and Tim Wilbur the defense including a 62 yard punt return for a TD that gave us the lead and the winning score. BYU missed a field goal at the end.

That season 1979 we finished 8-4 and did not go to another bowl game until 1986.

Hopefully we get back to a bowl game this year with whoever is leading us at quarterback.

Hmmm very interesting article. It almost sounds like its Lagow but in a different perspective. Lagow missed reads when he dropped back sometimes and it sounds like Dawkins makes the same mistakes but he has wheels.

Did anyone think Lagow improved that much under DeBord and Sheridan? I didn't. I know they haven't had much time together either. Usually in the offseason before camp QB's and receivers will get together voluntarily and get timing down and such. Hopefully Dawkins is at it every day.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Afraid he's only at IU for one season, so he's got to make the most of it and max out in this one year grad transfer season. (Unless I'm wrong, but thought he only has this year.)
The thing I like about the Dawkins signing is that we bought a year to develop every other QB on the roster -- and we bought it with a quality, experienced QB. I think this signing will pay benefits for the next five years.

My senior year was the 1979 Holiday Bowl and we beat BYU. Tim Clifford led the offense and Tim Wilbur the defense including a 62 yard punt return for a TD that gave us the lead and the winning score. BYU missed a field goal at the end.

That season 1979 we finished 8-4 and did not go to another bowl game until 1986.

Hopefully we get back to a bowl game this year with whoever is leading us at quarterback.
I've never seen an easier field goal missed so badly with a decent snap and hold by BYU. That was a great season. We got robbed at Michigan, and unfortunately Purdue who was good, took the Bucket. Still can't figure out how we lost to Colorado that year though.

I'm just glad we have two QBs that can play this year. Ramsey has played enough to have some confidence. Dawkins could be a better option with talent and more experience.

We need big time players to break through. If he gives us an edge, he could be the difference in this season. If not, we are no worse off than we would have been.

I'm just glad we have two QBs that can play this year. Ramsey has played enough to have some confidence. Dawkins could be a better option with talent and more experience.

We need big time players to break through. If he gives us an edge, he could be the difference in this season. If not, we are no worse off than we would have been.

I agree. The QB situation was dire in 2014 and inconsistent in 2016 and 2017. We had 2 guys and one was a senior struggling as much as he did in 2016. This couldn’t be any worse.

i don't recall him being moved to wr. but if he was i doubt it was because he was beaten out by chappell.
Yeah they ran some plays in the spring game where BC threw it back to KL, and he could either run or throw it.

Reactions: gulcherboy

An even though I have high hopes for Penix, he is still a true frosh, which is hard to count on. He could be ready to play this year, or he might not (which is no indication of his future). If he's ready this year, great, and he might just see the field. But if not, we don't need to burn his RS just to get him prepared in case Ramsey would have gone down.

An even though I have high hopes for Penix, he is still a true frosh, which is hard to count on. He could be ready to play this year, or he might not (which is no indication of his future). If he's ready this year, great, and he might just see the field. But if not, we don't need to burn his RS just to get him prepared in case Ramsey would have gone down.

He can play in 4 games without burning his RS thanks to the new rules this season.

He can play in 4 games without burning his RS thanks to the new rules this season.
I wasn't aware of that rule change. I guess it is a good thing for the players. It really helps if you were trying to save a kid's eligibility and have a late injury to a starter. Now the kid can come in and play a game without costing him a year.

In our case it may help with depth issues at the end of the season (where you don't have agonizing decisions about burning a guys Redshirt for just the last 2 or 3 games)...

One way to use it would be to try to get a quick look at guys you think might help you near the end of the season in the 2nd half against say a Ball State or someone we have a substantial 2nd half lead on, then wait until the last quarter of the season to utilize them against the meat of the schedule as backups...

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT