ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Dawkins

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I think he will be our most exciting QB since Randle El. Even Lewis didnt run like this guy. I took a look at his boxscores from 2016. This guy had a lot of 16-21, or 19-31 type of games. So while he wont remind us of Aaron Rodgers, the guy is a capable dual threat and obviously has had a lot of time to even improve on that.

What really got me excited was not only his breakaway speed, but his rushing numbers. Several boxscores with this guy having 15 carries for 140 yds or along those lines. Looking at his play by play, he runs for a ton of 1st downs and has had some short completions for 1st downs. Hes also good at avoiding pressure.

I think Debord found his Josh Dobbs.

I think many have been missing on how much difference Dawkins can make for our offense. I don't think Ramsey will be forgotten but I expect Dawkins to get most of the snaps. Dawkins can get 1 st downs even if defense take away the receivers. His running can help our RBs, OL, and receivers as defense has to take one of their best athletes to shandow Dawkins. I think Ramsey can be very good this year but defenses don't have to put there best athlete on him.

Reactions: ESalum86
I think many have been missing on how much difference Dawkins can make for our offense. I don't think Ramsey will be forgotten but I expect Dawkins to get most of the snaps. Dawkins can get 1 st downs even if defense take away the receivers. His running can help our RBs, OL, and receivers as defense has to take one of their best athletes to shandow Dawkins. I think Ramsey can be very good this year but defenses don't have to put there best athlete on him.[/QUOT

If Dawkins starts and gets most of the snaps, I hope Ramsey & Pennix are both around for 2019...........that's one reason I'd like to see us get a QB in this recruiting class.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Completely agree. Dawkins is the biggest commitment we’ve gotten in years imo. Easily wins us 2-3 more games next year compared to starting Ramsey. He’s going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Dawkins is a MAJOR key to the season. He probably is IU's best recruit in several years.

I can see him beating MSU and Iowa in Bloomington.....

Dawkins is a MAJOR key to the season. He probably is IU's best recruit in several years.

You do recall the guys we've put in the League over the past few years don't you?
Best recruit in several years?!? Come on...

I admire your enthusiasm but you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he'll carry this team in the fall.

He should help by being able to force the Defense to account for him as a running threat on every play and with his ability to throw deep on the run but he'll have to pick up the whole scheme very rapidly before he can become a "difference maker" for us.

I'll be happy if he's a consistently positive contributor by game 5 (M$U)..., and provides a change of pace weapon from that point on...

I think he will be our most exciting QB since Randle El. Even Lewis didnt run like this guy. I took a look at his boxscores from 2016. This guy had a lot of 16-21, or 19-31 type of games. So while he wont remind us of Aaron Rodgers, the guy is a capable dual threat and obviously has had a lot of time to even improve on that.

What really got me excited was not only his breakaway speed, but his rushing numbers. Several boxscores with this guy having 15 carries for 140 yds or along those lines. Looking at his play by play, he runs for a ton of 1st downs and has had some short completions for 1st downs. Hes also good at avoiding pressure.

I think Debord found his Josh Dobbs.
you really think this guy's as good as dobbs?

I think you're all completely underestimating Ramsey.

I expect to see Dawkins get PT but I have a feeling that Ramsey is going to make it very difficult (through his execution and production come Game Time) for the staff to keep him on the bench...
I don’t see Ramsey getting a single snap if Dawkins is healthy besides maybe in garbage time. Ramsey is not a Power 5 QB imo. Dawkins is. He just has to stay healthy.

Reactions: jopajackson
I think you're all completely underestimating Ramsey.

I expect to see Dawkins get PT but I have a feeling that Ramsey is going to make it very difficult (through his execution and production come Game Time) for the staff to keep him on the bench...
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm not underestimating Ramsey. He has a bright future with the Hoosiers. The present, though, belongs to Dawkins. Unless he unexpectedly underperforms in fall camp, I don't see how or why he would be on the bench. He has played at a high level in 22 games games for a PAC-12/Power 5 team, and he hurts teams with his legs and his arm (he's got to work on limiting picks, though). I'm not sure of his age but, as a grad transfer, he's probably 22, and with a man's body. With his skills and experience, he's No. 1. I think he's a game-changer.

I don’t see Ramsey getting a single snap if Dawkins is healthy besides maybe in garbage time. Ramsey is not a Power 5 QB imo. Dawkins is. He just has to stay healthy.

Say wha!??! Not a power 5 QB? Wow, did he hit your mother or something? He was a reserve FRESHMAN last year who threw for over 1200 yards and 10 TD's in what amounts to a half a season of playing. Let's step back off the ledge my friend.

Say wha!??! Not a power 5 QB? Wow, did he hit your mother or something? He was a reserve FRESHMAN last year who threw for over 1200 yards and 10 TD's in what amounts to a half a season of playing. Let's step back off the ledge my friend.
He needs improvement. Last year he was just a freshman so we will see what this year brings. The O-Line should be improved and that alone should help quite a bit.

Dawkins, however, brings a total new element with his legs. The Pac is a speed conference too and he can outrun a lot of kids. The offenses in the Pac are more wide open and the defenses play with a ton of speed on the field. The BIG IMO is more physical with bigger LB's so hopefully he can stay healthy. It should be interesting to see what kind of defenses the Big plays while defending this cat. (No pun intended) :)

The only 2 QB's from the Big last year in the top 200 rushers were Barrett (OSU) and Lewerke (Mich St.) He will create problems in the Big as they are not used to seeing a QB like this. Hopefuly the offense can crate an identity and move the sticks consistency this year. CMON O-Line we need you! All these new speed drills and the overall team speed improvement is exciting so can't wait to see the on the field product.

I stated very clearly that’s just my opinion. I think you could count on one hand the number of other Power 5 schools he would’ve started for last year. Maybe one or two fingers. I just don’t see it with him.

But Dawkins is a difference maker imo. He’s the real deal.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm not underestimating Ramsey. He has a bright future with the Hoosiers. The present, though, belongs to Dawkins. Unless he unexpectedly underperforms in fall camp, I don't see how or why he would be on the bench. He has played at a high level in 22 games games for a PAC-12/Power 5 team, and he hurts teams with his legs and his arm (he's got to work on limiting picks, though). I'm not sure of his age but, as a grad transfer, he's probably 22, and with a man's body. With his skills and experience, he's No. 1. I think he's a game-changer.
He wasn't brought in to ride the bench.

Look, I like Ramsey. But this guy has been a starter for a long time and someone who doesn't run as a last resort. It's part of his Offensive ability.

He's experienced, he's proven. He fits into Debord's Offense.

I think he's going to be the difference between 5 wins and 7 wins this year - to the good side.

Ramsey is decent. If we had him when Sudfeld went down, we would've made a bowl with Coleman.

But Dawkins is talented. Yes. I think he can be as good as Josh Dobbs. He has that kind of ability and hes had 2 years to get even better. The key is him not turning it over.

Ramsey is decent. If we had him when Sudfeld went down, we would've made a bowl with Coleman.

But Dawkins is talented. Yes. I think he can be as good as Josh Dobbs. He has that kind of ability and hes had 2 years to get even better. The key is him not turning it over.
his passing ability doesn't impress me. no way you can compare him to dobbs.

his passing ability doesn't impress me. no way you can compare him to dobbs.

PAC 10 teams figured out that when you crowd the LOS and dare him to pass, Dawkins becomes much less effective. He eventually lost his starting job as result. That's what MSU and Ohio State will do against us, for sure. I hope Coach D has an answer.

Reactions: kmathum
Completely agree. Dawkins is the biggest commitment we’ve gotten in years imo. Easily wins us 2-3 more games next year compared to starting Ramsey. He’s going to be a lot of fun to watch.
whoa nelly! let's not get carried away.

PAC 10 teams figured out that when you crowd the LOS and dare him to pass, Dawkins becomes much less effective. He eventually lost his starting job as result. That's what MSU and Ohio State will do against us, for sure. I hope Coach D has an answer.
exactly. when the better teams on our schedule put a spy on him, can he deliver?

Now wait a minute. This kid has had a couple of years to work on his passing. You're expecting him to be the same guy. He hit 16-21 against #9 Washington. This guy isnt Russell Wilson, but hes good enough.

Now wait a minute. This kid has had a couple of years to work on his passing. You're expecting him to be the same guy. He hit 16-21 against #9 Washington. This guy isnt Russell Wilson, but hes good enough.

He was 19-31 for 167 yards against Washington in 2016. He was 16-21 for 235 against Hawaii the week before.

I think he'll eventually help us win some games (that's why they brought him here) but while I think everyone would prefer that he's able to completely separate himself (skill and execution wise) from the other QB's in fall camp I'd be amazed if that happened. He wasn't here for Spring ball and the reps he gets "live", in full pads, will only be what he earns in Fall Camp...

To expect him to be on the same page with his receivers as though they'd been together for a couple of years early on is a lot to ask...

I expect to see him get a lot of reps in the first 4 games while probably splitting most of them later in the year if he's not connecting in the passing game at a better than 58% rate...

I believe he will help us once he gets his feet under him and gets comfortable with the scheme and his receivers but I don't expect him to be the seasons savior and in the running for best we've ever seen from day one... That's too much to expect (in my opinion).

/// I hope he proves me completely wrong and he's the best we've ever seen...///

Better recruit than Ed Wright-Baker, who had great talent and potential?

Afraid he's only at IU for one season, so he's got to make the most of it and max out in this one year grad transfer season. (Unless I'm wrong, but thought he only has this year.)

I stated very clearly that’s just my opinion. I think you could count on one hand the number of other Power 5 schools he would’ve started for last year. Maybe one or two fingers. I just don’t see it with him.

But Dawkins is a difference maker imo. He’s the real deal.

I'm not out here saying his amazing or saying he is better than Dawkins. I just don't think the gap is as wide as you are making it out to be. I like Dawkins and I think he will do about exactly what he did at AZ. Kellen Lewis comes to mind.

But as for Ramsey and Power 5 schools, it depends on the depth of each team. Yes, its not common for an unheralded freshman to start so one wouldn't assume he would've started for many. IU was lacking QB's and the O-Line was suspect to say the least. With that said, your comment was that he wasn't a power 5 QB. I think the proper analogy would be, as a senior, how many P5 teams would he be able to start for? Because that would explain whether or not he is a P5 QB. I bet the answer is vastly different at that time. That was my point.

I'm not out here saying his amazing or saying he is better than Dawkins. I just don't think the gap is as wide as you are making it out to be. I like Dawkins and I think he will do about exactly what he did at AZ. Kellen Lewis comes to mind.

But as for Ramsey and Power 5 schools, it depends on the depth of each team. Yes, its not common for an unheralded freshman to start so one wouldn't assume he would've started for many. IU was lacking QB's and the O-Line was suspect to say the least. With that said, your comment was that he wasn't a power 5 QB. I think the proper analogy would be, as a senior, how many P5 teams would he be able to start for? Because that would explain whether or not he is a P5 QB. I bet the answer is vastly different at that time. That was my point.
from the tape i've seen on dawkins and what i saw from k. lewis, kellen was a much better all around qb.

Reactions: Chriselli
from the tape i've seen on dawkins and what i saw from k. lewis, kellen was a much better all around qb.

I would think so.......K Lewis was one hell of a QB....very underrated in our collective memory now, imo....similar to the Rob Turner situation.

Reactions: Andy06
Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but I think Dawkins is better and with a bigger arm. Lewis had a good 2006, an unbelievable 2007 Insight Bowl season (helped immeasurably by James Hardy's monster season) but things dropped off dramatically in 2008 after Hardy's departure. In fact, Lewis split time with Ben Chappell in 2008, then moved to WR prior to his dismissal from the team before the start of the 2009 season. Clearly, though, he was a great talent.

Good point. I get what you’re saying. I personally just don’t see the tools but I’ve been wrong many times before. Hopefully I’m wrong again.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but I think Dawkins is better and with a bigger arm. Lewis had a good 2006, an unbelievable 2007 Insight Bowl season (helped immeasurably by James Hardy's monster season) but things dropped off dramatically in 2008 after Hardy's departure. In fact, Lewis split time with Ben Chappell in 2008, then moved to WR prior to his dismissal from the team before the start of the 2009 season. Clearly, though, he was a great talent.

Do you think he forgot how to play, or do you think there might have been something else going on that could have affected his play and gotten him eventually kicked off the team? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't James Hardy's graduation. Kellen was a helluva player.

We've been blessed with some really good quarterbacks over the past 20 years.

Do you think he forgot how to play, or do you think there might have been something else going on that could have affected his play and gotten him eventually kicked off the team? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't James Hardy's graduation. Kellen was a helluva player.

one of the very best qbs to ever wear an iu uniform. unfortunately self discipline wasn't one of his strong suits.

I don't think you understood my post. I acknowledged he was a great talent. Lewis' 2007 season was incredible, but he wasn't a very good QB the following year (e.g. he threw more picks than TDs), and had been moved to WR before he left. That's not opinion, it's fact. And if off-the-field factors contributed to his decline, that doesn't negate the decline. Also fact: Dawkins' career ANY/A is marginally better than Lewis', and his YPA is significantly better. And he's got one more year to go, with an immensely talented and experienced stable of guys to throw the ball to (Westbrook, Hale, Timian, Harris). Could be a huge year for him.

P.S. Our strength at QB goes back a lot further than 20 years (e.g. Dave Schnell, Trent Green).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT