ADVERTISEMENT

Brad says today he’s not leaving Celtics

That wasn't really a denial. It was exactly what I would expect a smart man who might be considering the job to say. Still don't think we get him. I honestly think Dolson might be dumb enough to hire Beilein.

Reactions: Remain and kkott
Dolson said he wants someone "cutting edge" right? What is cutting edge about a near 70 year old fossil that supposedly made a racist statement towards his players?

One that runs a dynamic offense with impeccable shooting that recently fielded top 5 defensive teams en route to his 2nd national title appearance in a 5 year stretch. Gee, nothing cutting edge about that. Give me a freaking break.

One that runs a dynamic offense with impeccable shooting that recently fielded top 5 defensive teams en route to his 2nd national title appearance in a 5 year stretch. Gee, nothing cutting edge about that. Give me a freaking break.

This is not 2007 dude. He would've been a great hire then. Not now.

Also, hiring an assistant coach who was essentially put in charge of the D. Pretty unusual.

But I agree he was talking more about someone like Musselman than John B.

This is not 2007 dude. He would've been a great hire then. Not now.

Beilein could easily coach till he's 75. That's 7 solid years. Beilein's last 7 years at Michigan he won an average of 27 games a year and made the 2nd weekend of the tournament 5/7 times. Ridiculous not to think Beielin wouldn't instantly elevate IU. IU hasn't played in a tournament game since 2016.

Huh? Never a good idea to hire a racist. Is that how this works?

I'm sure JB is a good man but perception is everything. Trust me, of the realistic hires that's the last name you want Dolson to hire.

Beilein is a good coach. He runs a shuffle offense. Lots of backdoor cuts and 3 pt options. He switches up his defenses. Plays some 1-3-1 zone. And lately, some pretty intense Man to Man.

Also, hiring an assistant coach who was essentially put in charge of the D. Pretty unusual.

But I agree he was talking more about someone like Musselman than John B.

Oh so assistants should actually be useful and serve a purpose? Add that to the jar of things I've learned today.

Musselman would be a great hire, as would Beilein.

Reactions: Sassy61
Porter moser...Alabama right. Where was he before that? Sorry too tired right now to do the research...kids had me up all night

Porter moser...Alabama right. Where was he before that? Sorry too tired right now to do the research...kids had me up all night

Porter Moser is at Loyola Chicago. Has had a nice 4 year but before his F4 run a few years back would be considered a journeyman and retread at best.

If no Pearl, Stevens, Bielen, and by extension Matta, then are our experienced guys down to Drew and Musselman?

Loyola currently. He has been on 1070 a few times and is a terrific interview.

Don't understand the vitriol toward Beilein. He would be great to change the culture of the program. And his "racist" comment was he called a player(s) a thug.

Hide the children and cover your ears! We can't have such hatred spread around a locker room of grown men.

Stevens didn't say he was not leaving the Celtics...he said he "had no interest in leaving to coach at indiana". "Interest" can quickly change..because money and favorable contract terms talks. "Not leaving" is more the immovable object.

Reactions: Remain
Loyola currently. He has been on 1070 a few times and is a terrific interview.

Don't understand the vitriol toward Beilein. He would be great to change the culture of the program. And his "racist" comment was he called a player(s) a thug.

Hide the children and cover your ears! We can't have such hatred spread around a locker room of grown men.
I don't think it's vitriol... it's that he's 68 yo. Also, it's not like he's been a quick turnaround artist, as it's taken him a few years to get rolling at either major stop. 5 years in UMs case to break 500 in conference and 4 @ WVU. So, given the same timeline, he's now 72 before he gets it rolling at IU? See the concern? Oh, and that he's another old white guy, who's been out of the game for a bit... so, how will he relate to kids again? And all that before you even get to the "racist" slurs that are sure to come. Not saying he's a bad hire, but there's plenty of legit reason for concern.

• Sad
Reactions: Myhurricane
Why would Musselman be a good hire?
I

I think Musselman runs a very attractive offense that is very highly thought of by type flight recruits and available transfers. Musselman has a top 10 team this year in which his 4 best players are a top 50 freshman and three immediate-eligible transfers. I think he could come in right away and navigate his way around a poorly constructed roster. He's known as a very good player developer dating back to his NBA days. I don't think his X's and O's are on the same planet as Beilein's, but he has proven he can win anywhere thus far.

Beilein could easily coach till he's 75. That's 7 solid years. Beilein's last 7 years at Michigan he won an average of 27 games a year and made the 2nd weekend of the tournament 5/7 times. Ridiculous not to think Beielin wouldn't instantly elevate IU. IU hasn't played in a tournament game since 2016.
Instantly elevate? No.

sounded pretty clear to me. Shoot this horse once and for all and let's move on.

Whomever ends up with this job, just please....PLEASE...don't be a passionate teacher of the high back court weave that eats up half the shot clock. Seen enough of it.

Reactions: kkott and Sassy61
I don't think it's vitriol... it's that he's 68 yo. Also, it's not like he's been a quick turnaround artist, as it's taken him a few years to get rolling at either major stop. 5 years in UMs case to break 500 in conference and 4 @ WVU. So, given the same timeline, he's now 72 before he gets it rolling at IU? See the concern? Oh, and that he's another old white guy, who's been out of the game for a bit... so, how will he relate to kids again? And all that before you even get to the "racist" slurs that are sure to come. Not saying he's a bad hire, but there's plenty of legit reason for concern.
I understand the age issue completely. That's my one concern about him. I went along with the narrative that it took him a while to get going at UM, and then I did a little research.

He still made the NCAA tournament twice in his 1st 4 years. Plus ge won in the 1st round in each of those years.

Different eras and different times. Nobody knew who John Beilein was coming from Richmond to West Virginia in 2002. He spent many years at the D2 level and other low major jobs. When he took the Michigan job in 2007, players weren't able to transfer and play immediately. You'd be foolish not think transfers would be lining up to play at a school like Indiana for a coach like Beilein. Look at all the kids he's put in the NBA the last decade. Calling someone a "thug" isn't a racial slur. Nowhere in the word thug is race implied. It's another example of someone or a group of people looking to be outraged. Poor choice of words, especially when talking about the team you coach, but there was nothing racial about it.

Stevens didn't say he was not leaving the Celtics...he said he "had no interest in leaving to coach at indiana". "Interest" can quickly change..because money and favorable contract terms talks. "Not leaving" is more the immovable object.
LOL...Stevens isn't driven by $$$. Anyone who has followed his career would know this.

Different eras and different times. Nobody knew who John Beilein was coming from Richmond to West Virginia in 2002. He spent many years at the D2 level and other low major jobs. When he took the Michigan job in 2007, players weren't able to transfer and play immediately. You'd be foolish not think transfers would be lining up to play at a school like Indiana for a coach like Beilein. Look at all the kids he's put in the NBA the last decade. Calling someone a "thug" isn't a racial slur. Nowhere in the word thug is race implied. It's another example of someone or a group of people looking to be outraged. Poor choice of words, especially when talking about the team you coach, but there was nothing racial about it.
Call me foolish then... no, I'm not sure kids are going to be lining up to play for him after a 2 year hiatus, and it's not like some guys who get on the sidelines knowing they're coming back and work to develop relationships and keep their name out there.... he was gone with the expectation he'd probably never be coaching in college again.

And you can try and frame it however you want, in 2021, if you call a black person a thug, it has racist overtones, and will be interpreted that way, especially by those looking to be offended or who can gain an advantage by suggesting that.... like, I don't know, maybe on the recruiting trail for instance!

Dana Altman. Great X and O offensive coach. Good recruiter. Wins a lot. Only 62 so could last 10 years.

Beilein is a good coach. He runs a shuffle offense. Lots of backdoor cuts and 3 pt options. He switches up his defenses. Plays some 1-3-1 zone. And lately, some pretty intense Man to Man.

He also knows how to recruit foreign big men......they ALWAYS have one that can shoot.

Reactions: Lkaiser100
Well crap. Looks like we will be going the retread, mid major, or unqualified IU guy routes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT