ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Knight Practice Schedule

So I found my notes from RMK’s class. Would anyone want to see them? I actually typed them all out. However it doesn’t have my hand drawn graphics as this is a copy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey and kkott
So I found my notes from RMK’s class. Would anyone want to see them? I actually typed them all out. However it doesn’t have my hand drawn graphics as this is a copy.
That would be cool to look over. I'd like to see the graphics too if you could take a pic... unless you were like the kid from Superbad!

Honestly, I am surprised that RMK had a schedule at all.
He had already been a HC.
Maybe it was just to not dwell on one aspect of practice too long.

6th grade coaches' script there practices the same way. my experience 90 percent of them get through about 2 drills and then go off script. college coach always had a 20 min scrimmage at the end of practice rarely got to it because of running dumbass drills.

At some point later in his career he added 'Team practice - Pump faking until the defender turns to a pillar of salt. No shooting'.

Not me. It's on par with an F1 driver talking to me as a student driver, but holding practices with my rec league teams, it's easy to forget points of emphasis you wanted to share, and to cover all the different drills and sets/plays you want to cover. I think any good manager at any level is going to have an outline or itinerary for meetings, even if they go off script a bit and I think it's the same for a good practice. You may decide to scrap the entire schedule/outline but it doesn't surprise me at all that he'd have one for almost every practice, even if a handwritten index card, and I'd have been more surprised if he didn't.

6th grade coaches' script there practices the same way. my experience 90 percent of them get through about 2 drills and then go off script. college coach always had a 20 min scrimmage at the end of practice rarely got to it because of running dumbass drills.
Every single college coach I know, or have heard of, had/has a practice plan for every practice, and sticks with it very closely...

That plan often comes from long nights of watching film of previous practices, or games...and marrying what they needed more work on from earlier mistakes versus what they needed to be adding to develop going forward. Great coaches are the ones that are able to get their teams to master fundamental elements of the game, and then are able to implement new things successfully as the season goes on to remain reactive and ever improving.

If there are college coaches "winging it", I would imagine someone like Tom Allen would be doing so. And the results show it.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT