ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Knight Practice Schedule

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
This is making the rounds on social media and is purported to be Coach Knight's first practice schedule.

IET6gm4.jpg

Lots of shooting

This is making the rounds on social media and is purported to be Coach Knight's first practice schedule.

IET6gm4.jpg

Lots of shooting
This is awesome! Especially like the insight on how he viewed non guards, with the term "Cornermen".

Lots of defense...love that as well.

I've made countless posts throughout the years about defense being something any coach can forge in to a team and program. It takes dedication, and repetition. This is proof of what was on RMK's mind as important during his 1st practice at IU.

IET6gm4.jpg

Lots of shooting
Makes me feel better about my rec league coaching! I struggled to remember what I wanted to cover in practices and resorted to having a practice schedule very similar. Really hard to hit everything when you only have an hour. And everyone thought I was crazy... like a (HOF) fox!

IET6gm4.jpg

Lots of shooting
question: what do you think Slide Slide is at the end, and why did he break it into 2 successive sessions vs 1 and why is the first 30 minutes and the second 5?

question: what do you think Slide Slide is at the end, and why did he break it into 2 successive sessions vs 1 and 1 is the first 30 minutes and the second 5?
I can only speculate. When we did that at practice, the second drill was for the guys who coach thought was dogging it at the end of the first one. If you put out for the first one, you watched the slackers do the second one until they got it right.

Reactions: kkott

Kurt was quite a prolific poster over there on Rupp Rafters ‘fore he got shitcanned…
ok I clicked that link...and surprised to see that those fools over there are more optimistic about IU getting Fland...than WE are on this board. So maybe this means he's really going to "Bama? (TIC)

question: what do you think Slide Slide is at the end, and why did he break it into 2 successive sessions vs 1 and why is the first 30 minutes and the second 5?
Without knowing exactly what RMK's philosophies were...traditionally, the ends of practices were long used for conditioning purposes.

Could be some sort of diabolical mind games type of defensive slide drill. And he could have planned out that they'd do it for 30 minutes, most of them would think they're dying...and then he'd stop, yell at them, make the point that all it takes is focus and attention to detail...then do it again, and make sure they have success with it, and end it after a few minutes.

forgot one other item on that practice schedule:

2:15pm kick Kitchel's ass out of practice (regardless of how good he looks today), make team go into locker room and sit there silently, waiting for me to enter and tear into them. Yell at them for 5 minutes, then walk out, but secretly hide behind the corner; listen to Kitchel stand up and say "don't listen to him, he's just full of shit", then come back screaming around corner and lay into Kitchel again. Tell him he's through at IU. Then walk out and let them stew for 30 min.

5:00pm dinner at 3rd Base Lounge with coaching staff; talk about fly fishing in Wyoming, and whether or not I should do the Connie Chung interview. Joby says I should.

Tomorrow night: Start Kitchel, watch him score 25 pts on 9-11 shooting and 7-7 from the line as we beat Iowa by 15.

Following Day: start tearing into Whittman's ass

Last edited:
5:00pm dinner at 3rd Base Lounge with coaching staff; talk about fly fishing in Wyoming, and whether or not I should do the Connie Chung interview. Joby says I should.
I used to live across the street from 3rd Base. Never got to see him in there. Closest I ever came was "You just missed him".

Reactions: ulrey
I used to live across the street from 3rd Base. Never got to see him in there. Closest I ever came was "You just missed him".
saw him in there once. Table next to me. Funny...you grow up worshiping a guy, then when you have a chance to just say hi, hey love the team and big fan of you as a coach, you can't get the courage 'cause you know...even though you always defended his actions....he still could go off on you like a volcano...just maybe. Couldn't risk being scarred for life.

Without knowing exactly what RMK's philosophies were...traditionally, the ends of practices were long used for conditioning purposes.

Could be some sort of diabolical mind games type of defensive slide drill. And he could have planned out that they'd do it for 30 minutes, most of them would think they're dying...and then he'd stop, yell at them, make the point that all it takes is focus and attention to detail...then do it again, and make sure they have success with it, and end it after a few minutes.
Probably would take someone who'd been to a practice or in his class to know. Can't imagine anyone planning on, or doing, 30 minutes of slide drill.

I can only speculate. When we did that at practice, the second drill was for the guys who coach thought was dogging it at the end of the first one. If you put out for the first one, you watched the slackers do the second one until they got it right.
Interesting. I thought RMK was more of the ilk, anyone dogging it forces everyone to run again, to put extra pressure on anyone who didn't give good effort. That's the best explanation I've seen, and assumed it was either review/discussion or doing it again "the right way". Just a heckuva long time for any conditioning drill and odd that he'd planned to do it twice. Maybe "slide" was just his term for conditioning stuff and he picked what actual drills to do.

Probably would take someone who'd been to a practice or in his class to know. Can't imagine anyone planning on, or doing, 30 minutes of slide drill.
I don't know...if its a drill where only a handful of players do it, and the others are resting in between, I could see that amount of time being dedicated to defensive slides of some sort.

It could also be a name for something fundamental in either his main offense or main defense.

My first guess was '4 corners' is what my coach called 4 on 4 shell...we did it every single practice for a minimum of 15-20 minutes. It was mainly a defensive drill, but if you took it off, offensively, it wouldn't go well for you.

Maybe "Slides" is RMK's version of some sort of rotational defensive drill? The break after a long period, and then a short finishing period in what seems to be the same drill indicates he planned on stopping it, doing some teaching, then hopefully finishing with them doing it the right way.

Reactions: kkott
I don't know...if its a drill where only a handful of players do it, and the others are resting in between, I could see that amount of time being dedicated to defensive slides of some sort.

It could also be a name for something fundamental in either his main offense or main defense.

My first guess was '4 corners' is what my coach called 4 on 4 shell...we did it every single practice for a minimum of 15-20 minutes. It was mainly a defensive drill, but if you took it off, offensively, it wouldn't go well for you.

Maybe "Slides" is RMK's version of some sort of rotational defensive drill? The break after a long period, and then a short finishing period in what seems to be the same drill indicates he planned on stopping it, doing some teaching, then hopefully finishing with them doing it the right way.
I'd say that's a good guess on 4 corners, and on slides, and why the break. Of course, I can't imagine BK getting through 5 minutes of any drill, let alone 30, without teaching!

Interesting. I thought RMK was more of the ilk, anyone dogging it forces everyone to run again, to put extra pressure on anyone who didn't give good effort. That's the best explanation I've seen, and assumed it was either review/discussion or doing it again "the right way". Just a heckuva long time for any conditioning drill and odd that he'd planned to do it twice. Maybe "slide" was just his term for conditioning stuff and he picked what actual drills to do.
We were never told whatever drill we were doing was being done twice. We'd just be told to do drill X and then sometimes it would be stopped close to the end. Then it would be "everyone except Smith, White, and Jones back on the line. We're going to do this until you all stop loafing." "Smith, White and Jones" would go shoot free throws.

Obviously can't speak to how CBK ran practices in the early 70s.

4 corners for us was a passing drill to warm up.

RMK couldn't coach in today's college bball world. Nor would he want to. Ever.
No coach dropped into this era from a time machine could/would be able to coach now, but RMK did it better than most if not all doing it the "clean" way. I'm guessing RMK coming up the ranks in todays world would dominate the "NIL" ways too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT