ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton hopes UCLA reverses its decision to join B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...egend-bill-walton-opposes-bruins-move-big-ten

Never been a fan of Walton. He seems to harbor a fair amount of distain for our conference.
Sorry to tell Bill, as big as his ego and mouth is, it's a spec of dust compared to the checkbooks involved in this decision.

Wasn't really crazy about this either, but just knowing it's keeping Bill up at night suddenly warms my heart to the idea a bit more.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...egend-bill-walton-opposes-bruins-move-big-ten

Never been a fan of Walton. He seems to harbor a fair amount of distain for our conference.
Sorry to tell Bill, as big as his ego and mouth is, it's a spec of dust compared to the checkbooks involved in this decision.

Wasn't really crazy about this either, but just knowing it's keeping Bill up at night suddenly warms my heart to the idea a bit more.

Bill Walton,

"I don't believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large."

"I have spoken to no one, other than the highest-level directors of athletics at UCLA, who think that this proposed move to the Big 10 is a good idea."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some sanity from Bill Walton, and almost word for word what i said here when this was announced.

this move only benefits a small handful of self serving coaches and administrators who will pocket money themselves.

literally not one fan, or student, or faculty member, or alum, or player, benefits one bit from this, and it's the small handful with power benefiting themselves, and only themselves, while gladly giving the finger to all the students, fans, faculty, alums, and players.

that said, every legacy school in the SEC is also worse off from adding OU and UT.

the administrators at the legacy SEC schools who approved the addition of UT and OU are either totally self serving, or total idiots.

all the other schools in both the PAC and B12 are worse off as well.

as for OU or UT themselves benefiting, that still remains to be seen, but the relatively recent experiences of Neb, Mizzou, Col, UMd, don't bode well that it will. (and none of them faced the geographical and time zone idiocracy of USC and UCLA).

for that matter, has PSU ever fared as well in the B10 as they did prior to joining. i don't think so. (but too lazy to research it).

as with all industry consolidations, the very very very few with position and power are the only ones who benefit, while everyone else is worse off.

which never seems to bother the very very very few with position and power one bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
Can’t imagine selling those road trips to recruits. PLUS, there was some dumb California law that state schools could not provide private flights to games and had to fly commercial. Not sure if this still holds, but it’s a huge advantage to fly private vs dealing with airports. Huge

Reactions: Spartans9312

i agree with Bill

My point wasn’t about the two schools joining the Big Ten. I’m not in favor of that. My point was Walton‘s contempt for the Big Ten in general.

i don't think the B10 is what BW was showing contempt for.

that said, i have plenty for it.

purely capitalistic forces have totally hijacked something that was never intended to be purely capitalistic, or capitalistic at all, for that matter.

and said forces did absolutely nothing to build the institution they hijacked.

that said, it's bad enough what they've done to college athletics.

what's far worse, is those same forces are also hijacking the state universities themselves, and the country's hospital systems, which said universities have taken over.

why would we ever not assume the universities themselves, and the hospital systems they have taken over, aren't subject to the same forces that took over the athletic side.

as Neil Young once said, capitalism never sleeps. (well, he might have said it).

regulated capitalism has it's place.

but that place isn't every place, and our state universities, nor their hospital systems, certainly shouldn't be taken over by purely capitalistic forces.

nor should college "amateur" athletics, even if the damage there isn't on the same level as the universities and their hospital systems being taken over by said forces.

I'm almost done following or caring about the college game anymore. It's all like a rigged system and no help in sight. Reminds me of the 2020 election.
Hurry the day, then no one will have to read any more of your attempts to render vomit into something palatable.

Out since February and suddenly doing your utmost to start shit. Take it to the Cooler, or a psych ward.

Keep you stupid hillbilly paranoia off the basketball board.

WTF is wrong with you people that you can't just STFU ..
Why don't you do the same ? What the hell is wrong with you that you are never able to STFU? Learn how to spell as well .

Reactions: kmathum
Look, I get you want accepted but ass-kissing flattery through imitation will get you nowhere ..

Basically, get your slack jaw off my nutz, Cletus.

TIA
@rikki-tikka-tava care to comment on the value of this post? It was obviously astute and made a huge contribution of value? Care to explain WTF your problem is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT