ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten football schedule

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
Ohio state has only opened the season with a big 10 opponent three times in the last 30 years. 2023 will be the fourth. We opened with OSU in 2017 And now we have them as our opening game again? Where is our AD ? Why do we put up with this? You ask about Louisville? That’s why you drop them because B10 will screw us when they can.
we have to look at it as an opportunity and a challenge. But where is our administration on scheduling?

Ohio state has only opened the season with a big 10 opponent three times in the last 30 years. 2023 will be the fourth. We opened with OSU in 2017 And now we have them as our opening game again? Where is our AD ? Why do we put up with this? You ask about Louisville? That’s why you drop them because B10 will screw us when they can.
we have to look at it as an opportunity and a challenge. But where is our administration on scheduling?
Hopefully OSU gave us a lot of money to be there opening day win.

I feel a little Covid coming on for the team about 2 weeks before the opener!! Cough cough!
LOL. Make them reschedule or drop the game. Stay healthy for the next few.
I know, I know, lose too much money if we lose them as a home game....blah blah blah.

This is dumb. The Big Ten didn’t start opening the season with conference games until sometime in the last 10 years or less. We have to play them anyway and I would rather play them the first game of the season than any other time.

This is dumb. The Big Ten didn’t start opening the season with conference games until sometime in the last 10 years or less. We have to play them anyway and I would rather play them the first game of the season than any other time.
Wrong answer. How does it help our season by getting cut stomped and probably losing several starters in the opener? I’d much rather take that ass beating at the end of the season.

Yes, but. Of those eleven openers only 3 of 11 had winning seasons . Of those, only three had winning seasons, they were 6-5, 6-5, 6-4-1. during the 70’s and early 80’s. They had a combined record of 52-74. Not quite OSU twice in last five years.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree about playing OSU early especially with them having a new QB etc. Getting them early, can create opportunities for the Hoosiers if they can capitalize on them.

When I wrote a letter to the AD asking the very question
you asked here the reply from the AD was, we want
to play the very best.

• Haha
When I wrote a letter to the AD asking the very question
you asked here the reply from the AD was, we want
to play the very best.
Dolson doesn't care about football so I hope IU can pull off an upset with a new QB and a defense that couldn't stop Georgia. We now have a very good OL coach and if Bell has any chops, he will help IU have a shot to beats them. It is unlikely IU will win but that is why you play as you never know who will be upset . VT upset OSU one year in the first game so maybe IU can this season. There is a game that Michigan played to show the way to beat OSU but Bell has to be run that kind of game. He needs to run an offense like he did with Williams with more passes.

Last edited:
The great thing about playing OSU the very first game is it knocks out quickly all this needless nonsense about our improvements and potential. You get a woodshed beating in that first game, it stops any hype and conjecture about potential. Everyone comes back to earth by the end of the 2nd quarter.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes, but. Of those eleven openers only 3 of 11 had winning seasons . Of those, only three had winning seasons, they were 6-5, 6-5, 6-4-1. during the 70’s and early 80’s. They had a combined record of 52-74. Not quite OSU twice in last five years.
Are you forgetting going 7-4 in '79 before going on to win the Holiday Bowl?

Reactions: Crayfish57
No. I was referring to the records of our opening games against big ten opponents. By ‘79 we were no longer playing b10 first game. And didn’t again for almost 30 years. Not sure who Our opener in ‘79 .

Nope. But I don’t think it does a damn bit of good to get embarrassed the first game out. Even Tommy Cheerleader will have a hard time convincing his boys that everything will be ok after that.
But getting embarrassed in week 8 is better?

JC the first week with a new QB is absolutely the best time to play them.

We’ve got fans whining about dodging Louisville and you want to dodge someone we’re currently forced to play every year because it’s not the right week to play them.

Nope. You were right. We opened in ‘79 with Iowa. (5-6). Won 30-26. It was after ‘82 that those openers stopped.
Went to that game. We were down 26-3 at one point and won on a long pass late from Cliff to Enis or Johnson. Believe it was Hayden Fry’s first game, and the Iowa people were less than pleased that we came back to win.

Went to that game. We were down 26-3 at one point and won on a long pass late from Cliff to Enis or Johnson. Believe it was Hayden Fry’s first game, and the Iowa people were less than pleased that we came back to win.
Believe it was Johnson for the winning late score. Back then most Big10 teams played a very impressive out of conference schedule too. Not many cheap wins.

Reactions: red hornet
I'm still waiting to see if someone has injury history stats from Ohio state games. I think that data would be fascinating. Hell it woudl be interesting to see the data of injuries against by opponent

Reactions: red hornet
But getting embarrassed in week 8 is better?

JC the first week with a new QB is absolutely the best time to play them.

We’ve got fans whining about dodging Louisville and you want to dodge someone we’re currently forced to play every year because it’s not the right week to play them.
Hell yes it is! Why is it hard to understand teams play cupcakes early to get confidence, experience, and a few wins BEFORE going to the woodshed? Damn man, I have always thought you were smarter than that. Maybe I was wrong all along.

Dolson doesn't care about football so I hope I can pull off an upset with a new QB and a defense that couldn't stop Georgia. We now have a very good OL coach and if Bell has any chops, he will help IU have a shot to beats them. It is unlikely IU will win but that is why you play as you never know who will be upset . VT upset OSU one year in the first game so maybe IU can this season. There is a game that Michigan played to show the way to beat OSU but Bell has to be run that kind of game. He needs to run an offense like he did with Williams with more passes.
Big rumor in Ohio and now making the rounds on twitter is that CJ Stroud is coming back. I don’t 100% but it but there’s a lot of smoke. Pat Mcafee was talking about it on his show and AJ said he heard that he was offered $3 million to stay.

I think most of these people are forgetting about a guaranteed signing bonus. He just can’t take the risk of being injured and potentially lose that money imo. Also it wasn’t the first game of the year when VT beat OSU, it was the 2nd. Anyway, not meaning to rain on your upset dream.

Last edited:
I wonder if statistically the first game is when the most upsets happen. Michigan lost to app state back in 2007, first game. Lots of rust to shake off and schemes to gel, so that may be the best time to pull the upset.
I prefer not to play OSU at all, but if I have to play them I would rather it be the first game than later in the season when they have figured out how to get better. Of course if I were coaching IU I would do my best to compete as long as there was a chance to win. As soon as I knew that winning wasn't going to happen - whether in the first quarter or the fourth - I pull everybody who's in the two-deep and finish it out with walk-ons and guys who are likely to redshirt (especially since it's one of four games they can burn).

Two things - I like the option to return. If Stroud was a late 1st Rounder it worse, coming back with NIL makes sense. He’s a Top 5 and coming back is a big risk with little ability to move up in the next draft. He can if he wants but I personally wouldn’t. The other thing: I was at IU during Holiday Bowl season. If anyone wondered, BYU kicker missed a chip shot FG at the of game for the win.

The great thing about playing OSU the very first game is it knocks out quickly all this needless nonsense about our improvements and potential. You get a woodshed beating in that first game, it stops any hype and conjecture about potential. Everyone comes back to earth by the end of the 2nd quarter.
Brutal post.
Likely an accurate prediction, but brutal.

The one thing that is clear in the scheduling of the OSU game to the season opener as well as Michigan being told to move the Home and home agreement with Texas (to allow Texas and Oklahoma to join the SEC a year early), is that Athletic Directors have little control over scheduling. The dominant voice in the room is the TV partners (enabled by the league office making sure that the networks writing the big checks are happy). The schedule is going to be created in such a way to guarantee a spread of attractive contests (which right now means games including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and USC) for the 3 weekly time slots.

One wild card left in the 2023 schedule is if NBC has a Sunday night game on the books for Labor Day weekend (going forward they have 16 night games per year which will also include a Black Friday night game) and what opening weekend game might be moved to Sunday night.

I agree about playing OSU early especially with them having a new QB etc. Getting them early, can create opportunities for the Hoosiers if they can capitalize on them.
No. I was referring to the records of our opening games against big ten opponents. By ‘79 we were no longer playing b10 first game. And didn’t again for almost 30 years. Not sure who Our opener in ‘79 .
IU played Big Ten game openers 24 times from 1938-1982. One factor that has affected scheduling is during that span team’s went from 8 regular seasion games to the current 12 games. most teams always schedule non conference games years in advance. When a game has been added it almost always been on the front end. Schedules went from 8-10 games from 1942-46, but reverted to nine from 1947-1964. In 1965 a tenth games was added and it remained at ten until 1971. A twelfth games was permanently added in 2005. There were exceptions, resulting in additional games as the Big Ten grew from nine teams to ten woth the addition of MSU in 1953 and the PSU was added in the 1990’s Nebraska in the 2010’s and Maryland and Rutgers in 2014. scheduling used to be relatively easy, but it certainly has become more complicated with Conference realignment accelerating in the last two decades.

I remember Nick Westbrook was injured on the opening kickoff in the opener against OSU several years ago. But I believe that was a non-contact injury.
Can you tell me how many players we’ve lost to injury for the rest of the season against Ohio State in the last five years?
Same thing happened to Simmi Cobbs on first play of the year

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I wonder if statistically the first game is when the most upsets happen. Michigan lost to app state back in 2007, first game. Lots of rust to shake off and schemes to gel, so that may be the best time to pull the upset.
Much of the Michigan defense was stoned in their loss to App State. (Maybe THAT’S The strategy…drop large quantities of pot at each O$U players door the night before the game and then hope for the best)

Two things - I like the option to return. If Stroud was a late 1st Rounder it worse, coming back with NIL makes sense. He’s a Top 5 and coming back is a big risk with little ability to move up in the next draft. He can if he wants but I personally wouldn’t. The other thing: I was at IU during Holiday Bowl season. If anyone wondered, BYU kicker missed a chip shot FG at the of game for the win.
His only miss of the year, I believe.

God wanted us to win that day.

My neighbor played for BYU in the early 60s. When I mentioned I was an IU grad, he grimaced. I asked him if he remembered the Holiday Bowl and then he really gave me a dirty look.

His only miss of the year, I believe.

God wanted us to win that day.

My neighbor played for BYU in the early 60s. When I mentioned I was an IU grad, he grimaced. I asked him if he remembered the Holiday Bowl and then he really gave me a dirty look.
I thought you liked dirty looks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT