ADVERTISEMENT

Big Blue

Dude, the Mean Green happened just last year. Only a Purdue fan could rationalize 18 years of NCAA futility. PU's best coach ever never made it to the Final Four, and Matt is on the same track. It isn't bad luck if you haven't done something in 18 years, it is mediocrity. Every program experiences adversity, but only PU uses it as an excuse.
Piggy Lambert won a lot. Would have won more had he not opted out of some tournaments. Which, consequently, gave iu a banner.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Painters best teams have had injuries derail potential runs. He hasn't really won with a team that wasn't supposed to except maybe carsen's year. He needs to figure out how to do that. Be he also doesn't get upset by a low seed every year. I get north Texas happened last year, but every team gets upset. MSU was beat by middle Tennessee state a few years ago as a two seed.

Piggy Lambert won a lot. Would have won more had he not opted out of some tournaments. Which, consequently, gave iu a banner.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Painters best teams have had injuries derail potential runs. He hasn't really won with a team that wasn't supposed to except maybe carsen's year. He needs to figure out how to do that. Be he also doesn't get upset by a low seed every year. I get north Texas happened last year, but every team gets upset. MSU was beat by middle Tennessee state a few years ago as a two seed.
Every program experiences upsets and injuries: they aren't excuses, especially after 18 years. The only thing you have after 18 years are excuses. Izzo has achieved success in the NCAA's, Painter hasn't: bad comparison, and this is the main point. Any program worth a darn would have fired Painter a long time ago with his results.

I am tired of hearing about this Purdue folklore. The facts are that Purdue opted out of the 1940 NCAA tournament. IU went instead and won it all. It is not fact that Purdue would have won. Afterall, IU finished second in the conference and handed Purdue their only two conference losses that year.

Reactions: mk24
Every program experiences upsets and injuries: they aren't excuses, especially after 18 years. The only thing you have after 18 years are excuses. Izzo has achieved success in the NCAA's, Painter hasn't: bad comparison, and this is the main point. Any program worth a darn would have fired Painter a long time ago with his results.
Is that why UCLA was interested in hiring him before Cronin?

• Haha
I am tired of hearing about this Purdue folklore. The facts are that Purdue opted out of the 1940 NCAA tournament. IU went instead and won it all. It is not fact that Purdue would have won. Afterall, IU finished second in the conference and handed Purdue their only two conference losses that year.
So you agree with everything I just said?

So you agree with everything I just said?
No, I object to “Would have won more had he not opted out of some tournaments” and “Which, consequently, gave IU a banner.” Surely you can see the errors in this logic.

Is that why UCLA was interested in hiring him before Cronin?
Just like Stevens and Billy Donovan were interested in IU? You appear to be saying PU as a program is holding Matt back? I'd blame the coach more than the program. I've seen coaches from mid majors go to the FF.

No, I object to “Would have won more had he not opted out of some tournaments” and “Which, consequently, gave IU a banner.” Surely you can see the errors in this logic.
That 2nd statement is absolutely true. The first was probably a bit of a reach. It's kind of crazy, had Purdue had landed Wooden as their next big coach after Lambert, how much different would Purdue history look.

Just like Stevens and Billy Donovan were interested in IU? You appear to be saying PU as a program is holding Matt back? I'd blame the coach more than the program. I've seen coaches from mid majors go to the FF.
Purdue absolutely was holding Painter back from like 2012 to Bobinski. Why do you think Painter threatened to leave? And Painter coincidentally got a lot better after bobinski showed up. But no, I'm not saying "interest". There was interest. Matt said no.

Purdue absolutely was holding Painter back from like 2012 to Bobinski. Why do you think Painter threatened to leave? And Painter coincidentally got a lot better after bobinski showed up. But no, I'm not saying "interest". There was interest. Matt said no.
Then how do mid majors go to the FF and not PU? Just more excuses. If UCLA was really offering Matt, then he would be a moron not to go: obvious upgrade.

Then how do mid majors go to the FF and not PU? Just more excuses. If UCLA was really offering Matt, then he would be a moron not to go: obvious upgrade.
UCLA didn't offer Matt Painter. UCLA approached Matt Painter the same way they approached Steve Prohm and Mike Hopkins. This was after they struck out on their first 15 candidates.

Reactions: indiana ed and mk24
UCLA didn't offer Matt Painter. UCLA approached Matt Painter the same way they approached Steve Prohm and Mike Hopkins. This was after they struck out on their first 15 candidates.
Painter is getting everything he needs to win at Purdue now. Much different program and support than 10 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
That 2nd statement is absolutely true. The first was probably a bit of a reach. It's kind of crazy, had Purdue had landed Wooden as their next big coach after Lambert, how much different would Purdue history look.
Which, it's amazing that the only reason wooden got into coaching was because the high school job he took out of college paid more than a job he was looking at at Purdue. More pay was because wooden would also coach football, basketball, and baseball. Only reason he took it is he couldn't support his soon to be bride on the salary Purdue offered for his position of professor to be. Interesting path.

piuggyPiggy Lambert won a lot. Would have won more had he not opted out of some tournaments. Which, consequently, gave iu a banner.

Good points. IU never had injuries derail tourney runs.

Is Pork chop a descendant of Piggy?

• Haha
Painter is getting everything he needs to win at Purdue now. Much different program and support than 10 years ago.
Yet, mid majors can go to the FF and Matt can't? I'm guessing the Mean Green had a lot less program support than Matt and PU had last season.

Yet, mid majors can go to the FF and Matt can't? I'm guessing the Mean Green had a lot less program support than Matt and PU had last season.
Upsets happen to everyone. You are focusing on the wrong thing here. It isn't the upsets that are the issue, it's the lack of runs past the sweet 16.

As for program support, they have much less. That's why they don't consistently move past the 1st round, let alone make the tournament. Get hot for 1 game and see what happens. That's why it's called March madness.

Last edited:

And he will get drafted because of it. Really thought TJD would be shooting threes like him.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
Regular Season Matt is crashing again near the end of the season. #continuity #keadypainternofinalfour
We shouldn't call him "Porkchop" any more.

Now that he's 50, that spare tire looks natural on him even though he's had it since he was 30.

Depends on whether or not Sam Gilbert was part of the deal.

You got Sam Gilbert? Your history would have been similar to what it is now.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
2 thoughts. You usually don't play 3 games in 5 days in the NCAA tourney. And I'm not sure a 7/10 game would have better talent than Michigan across the board. Just one of those nights where nothing went right for Purdue and everything went right for Michigan. Purdue just has to learn from it.

I also don't suspect Purdue will blow their load on a 15 or 16 seed.
No just give them an STD

You got Sam Gilbert? Your history would have been similar to what it is now.
Based on what? You saying wooden wouldn't have had nearly the success at Purdue, even though his principles wouldn't have changed and multiple of his recruits went to play for him, not UCLA.

There is a reason Wooden considers his most successful season at UCLA to he a season he went 1 game above .500.

Based on what? You saying wooden wouldn't have had nearly the success at Purdue, even though his principles wouldn't have changed and multiple of his recruits went to play for him, not UCLA.

There is a reason Wooden considers his most successful season at UCLA to he a season he went 1 game above .500.
That's because UCLA's better teams weren't his

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Sam Gilbert got involved with UCLA in the mid 1960's which correlates to when Wooden's success really took off. That would be big reason number one that I don't think he would have been as successful at Purdue as he was at UCLA. You all did not have Sam Gilbert or any other similar bag man to take kids to mansions and shower gifts on them in L.A.

Hes been upset a couple times. But what coach hasn't? Two of the years losing as a higher seed was Hummels ACL and Haas elbow years. Bad luck really. Then you had carsens team who got hot, then saw Virginia get lucky. I think Painter will break through. I think he's shown a ton of growth in the past 5 years in style and philosophy.
Luck plays a role in almost every run. Carson’s team got a huge break when the foul was called on TN on the leg kick/flop then had bad luck when UVA made the play at the end.

Sam Gilbert got involved with UCLA in the mid 1960's which correlates to when Wooden's success really took off. That would be big reason number one that I don't think he would have been as successful at Purdue as he was at UCLA. You all did not have Sam Gilbert or any other similar bag man to take kids to mansions and shower gifts on them in L.A.
Cheaters gonna cheat. He would have found a way even in Bum **** Egypt west laffy

Upsets happen to everyone. You are focusing on the wrong thing here. It isn't the upsets that are the issue, it's the lack of runs past the sweet 16.

As for program support, they have much less. That's why they don't consistently move past the 1st round, let alone make the tournament. Get hot for 1 game and see what happens. That's why it's called March madness.
You are blaming Matt's lack of NCAA success on "getting hot" and luck? Maybe he just isn't that good of a coach. You aren't giving any credit to your opponents.

You are blaming Matt's lack of NCAA success on "getting hot" and luck? Maybe he just isn't that good of a coach. You aren't giving any credit to your opponents.
I just did. I said NT got hot vs Purdue and played a solid game. But they aren't ever going to be a program that consistently makes wins in the tourney.

Like I mentioned, Matt has completely changed his coaching philosophy. For the better imo. 5 years ago, people said he'd never have the guard to win in March. He has since shown he can highlight guards and had two of the better guards in big ten history. One is about to be a top 5 pick, hopefully to the pacers.

I just did. I said NT got hot vs Purdue and played a solid game. But they aren't ever going to be a program that consistently makes wins in the tourney.
Matt has proven that he is a coach that cannot consistently win in the NCAA's: what planet are you living on?

So it’s “absolutely true” that Purdue opting out “gave” IU the 1940 national championship even though IU beat them twice that year? Ok, got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT