ADVERTISEMENT

Best War movie by War

You have impeccable taste in movies. vbg. We need to talk foreign films sometime.
For foreign films, I usually prefer films that push envelopes that American filmmakers are scared to. Sex and Lucia is one. Also, The Dreamers. But not Lars von Trier. That dude's just a pervert LOL.

Revolutionary War - The Patriot
Civil War - Gone with the Wind
WWII - Stalag 17, Patton
Korea - MASH
Vietnam - Apocalypse Now

Which one tank. The Sherman vs the German infantry platoon. Or the Tiger I that takes out a Sherman Platoon? Both are possible. Easily.
Have you seen Fury? I'm talking about the final scene where Brad pit and his men take out 100+ guys from inside and outside the tank. While surrounded, and immobile.

Its a good action flick but that part was very over the top

Revolutionary War - The Patriot
Only by default. I'm surprised at the lack of films about it. That was a god awful movie. Constant Mel face. It's sad because it was a good screenplay. Him and Tom Cruise have ruined many great screenplays.

fwiw - "Mel face" is when he's trying to look sincere or profound but looks more like a downy child contemplating an accidental fart.

Only by default. I'm surprised at the lack of films about it. That was a god awful movie. Constant Mel face. It's sad because it was a good screenplay. Him and Tom Cruise have ruined many great screenplays.

fwiw - "Mel face" is when he's trying to look sincere or profound but looks more like a downy child contemplating an accidental fart.
You need to be more picky when it comes to screenplay.

The church burning?

The dogs and the prisoner exchange?

The freed slaves and the "aw shucks, I'll fight next to you any day" hillbilly learning his lesson?

No amount of good acting or direction is going to save that steaming pile of shit.

signs5.jpg

haha well done

Your reward:
tumblr_mpj14sCXFw1rryf7jo2_r1_400.gif

Have you seen Fury? I'm talking about the final scene where Brad pit and his men take out 100+ guys from inside and outside the tank. While surrounded, and immobile.

Its a good action flick but that part was very over the top

Yea, I get it now but you said platoon and confused me. The 4 Shermans, constitute a Sherman Platoon. An infantry platoon can be anywhere from 12 to 60 men. That was IIRC 300, (right?) which would be a Battalion?

Sorry but you confused me. so I asked. And, yea, the end was ridiculous. It was good up until then.

fwiw - Tiger I's had a 13.6 to 1 kill ratio over Shermans. That's what I thought you were talking about.

You need to be more picky when it comes to screenplay.

The church burning?

The dogs and the prisoner exchange?

The freed slaves and the "aw shucks, I'll fight next to you any day" hillbilly learning his lesson?

No amount of good acting or direction is going to save that steaming pile of shit.

Yea, well, it was the same guy that did Saving Private Ryan. So, I'll not argue. But, Gibson, when he's in a film will change things, and they tend to be the really sentimental or cliche things. He ruined Braveheart for me. The Pat was far more over sentimental than SPR. Having not read the original. I don't know what was changed from print to film. So, I'll give it to you.

And, fwiw, adding Mel to that POS didn't do it any favors either. I always automatically blame him.

Yea, well, it was the same guy that did Saving Private Ryan. So, I'll not argue. But, Gibson, when he's in a film will change things, and they tend to be the really sentimental or cliche things. He ruined Braveheart for me. The Pat was far more over sentimental than SPR. Having not read the original. I don't know what was changed from print to film. So, I'll give it to you.

And, fwiw, adding Mel to that POS didn't do it any favors either. I always automatically blame him.
Yeah, I'm not defending Mel. Just saying it was a bad film top to bottom.

And I'll still watch and enjoy Braveheart whenever it's on. It's another guilty pleasure movie, like Jurassic Park.

Yeah, I'm not defending Mel. Just saying it was a bad film top to bottom.

And I'll still watch and enjoy Braveheart whenever it's on. It's another guilty pleasure movie, like Jurassic Park.
Oh I love Braveheart, but The Patriot is just a slap in the face over patriotic movie that goes over the top to make a $. Look at this crap:
Mel_Gibson_Flag_Patriot_Wide.jpg

Braveheart told a story many American's had no idea about, sensationalized it and did it in a good action flick.

Funny thing is... I was just in Scotland for 6 days a week and a half ago. Jokingly brought up in conversation with a lady on the train from Inverness to Glasgow that stopping in Sterling made me want to watch Braveheart. She rolled her eyes and groaned... Apparently Scottish folk don't find Mel's William Wallace all that compelling. It wasn't my first time I felt like a stupid american abroad, but it was definitely a bit embarrassing.

Last edited:
Oh I love Braveheart, but The Patriot is just a slap in the face over patriotic movie that goes over the top to make a $. Look at this crap:

Braveheart told a story many American's had no idea about, sensationalized it and did it in a good action flick.

Funny thing is... I was just in Scotland for 6 days a week and a half ago. Jokingly brought up in conversation with a lady on the train from Inverness to Glasgow that stopping in Sterling made me want to watch Braveheart. She rolled her eyes and groaned... Apparently Scottish folk don't find Mel's William Wallace all that compelling. It wasn't my first time I felt like a stupid american abroad, but it was definitely a bit embarrassing.
Yeah, that picture says it all. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to sneak the line "Courtesy of the red, white and blue" into that movie.

The Patriot is eye-rolling terrible. You just knew when he gave that girl the necklace or locket or whatever that we'd end up finding it later in some rubble. So ridiculous.

As far as WWI, has anyone seen The Lost Batallion? I've always meant to watch it but have never gotten around to it. Not sure if it's supposed to be a good film, or a poor one.

I'm trying to remember a scene, but I can't remember which film it's from. Help me out. Dudes get captured by the Viet Cong, and they have to cross a river with landmines in it. One guy starts stomping around like a mad man and sets off a mine.

Which one was that in? Or was that from a TV show? Tour of Duty perhaps?

Bat 21.

Gene Hackman. Danny Glover.

Not a bad flick. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Best World War I movies are Kubrick's Paths of Glory and Renoir's Grand Illusion

No mention of Gettysburg (1993) or Gods and Generals (2003) for Civil War films? Can't believe they don't merit a nod or two. Not like there are a lot of great Civil War films...unless you count the Burns documentary...which we aren't.

It is the only decent film that I could think of, but would say "Adams" on HBO - the series is exquisite - but not a flick.

It is the only decent film that I could think of, but would say "Adams" on HBO - the series is exquisite - but not a flick.

Right. I was just about to mention the John Adams miniseries as a viable Revolutionary War option. If you watch them all in a row it's essentially a really long movie, right?

Right. I was just about to mention the John Adams miniseries as a viable Revolutionary War option. If you watch them all in a row it's essentially a really long movie, right?
If we opened it to mini series you open it up to Band of Brother and the Pacific .
I've never seen all of band of brother but I own the Pacific. Both really a step above everything else

If we opened it to mini series you open it up to Band of Brother and the Pacific .
I've never seen all of band of brother but I own the Pacific. Both really a step above everything else

The Pacific is a lame attempt to recreate Band of Brothers for the other theater of war. It's inferior, by a lot. If you've not watched all of BoB you need to do that.

The Pacific is a lame attempt to recreate Band of Brothers for the other theater of war. It's inferior, by a lot. If you've not watched all of BoB you need to do that.

I know... I've seen about 70% of them in random order spread across 5 or so years.
I'll get to it

No mention of Gettysburg (1993) or Gods and Generals (2003) for Civil War films? Can't believe they don't merit a nod or two. Not like there are a lot of great Civil War films...unless you count the Burns documentary...which we aren't.

Horrible beards and worse fake Southern accents.

Greco Persian - 300
Chinese States period - Hero
Alexandrian Conquest - Alexander
Roman Britannic Wars - Centurion
Crusades - Kingdom of Heaven
100 years war - Henry the V
Sengoku Period - Ran
French and Indian War - Last of the Mohicans
Crimean War - Charge of the Light Brigade
Indian Rebellian - Gunga Din
US Civil War - Gods and Generals
Satsuma Rebellion - Last Samurai
Zulu War - Zulu
North Africa - The Wind and the Lion
Sudan War - The Four Feathers
Second Beor War - Breaker Morant
Chinese Revolution - Sand Pebbles
Great War - All Quiet on the Western Front
Irish Civil War - The Wind That Shakes the Barley
WWII - Das Boot
Cold War - Dr Strangelove
Korea - MASH
Vietnam - Apocalypse Now
Somali Civil War - Black Hawk Down
Sierra Leone Civil War - Blood Diamond

Nobody mentioning the Pianist or Life is Beautiful for WWII? Maybe since that's more from the perspective of the concentration camp prisoner vs the solder.

That being said, I've never gotten the feeling of terror in regards to a crazy mob with guns taking over as I got in The Pianist. Does an incredible job of showing you how quickly everything can change on a dime based on what fanatic is in power.

Life is Beautiful is pure fiction, but the thought of a father protecting his young son in a concentration camp by convincing him it was all a big, fun game was incredibly endearing...even as he carried it out to his death.

Greco Persian - 300
Chinese States period - Hero
Alexandrian Conquest - Alexander
Roman Britannic Wars - Centurion
Crusades - Kingdom of Heaven
100 years war - Henry the V
Sengoku Period - Ran
French and Indian War - Last of the Mohicans
Crimean War - Charge of the Light Brigade
Indian Rebellian - Gunga Din
US Civil War - Gods and Generals
Satsuma Rebellion - Last Samurai
Zulu War - Zulu
North Africa - The Wind and the Lion
Sudan War - The Four Feathers
Second Beor War - Breaker Morant
Chinese Revolution - Sand Pebbles
Great War - All Quiet on the Western Front
Irish Civil War - The Wind That Shakes the Barley
WWII - Das Boot
Cold War - Dr Strangelove
Korea - MASH
Vietnam - Apocalypse Now
Somali Civil War - Black Hawk Down
Sierra Leone Civil War - Blood Diamond
Blood diamond is good but lord of war is great

One thing Scots dislike is how Robert the Bruce was portrayed. The film is inaccurate because Robert the Bruce did not betray William Wallace at Falkirk.

This wasn't much better ..
411363.jpg

I ain't much about no prayin', now. I ain't never had no family, and... killed off my mama. Well, I just... Y'all's the onliest family I got. I love the AOTF. Ain't even much a matter what happens tomorrow, 'cause we men, ain't we?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT