ADVERTISEMENT

Best Golf Course You’ve Played?

I've Played - Pebble Beach - all Pinehurst courses - Shinnecock - National Golf Club - Bethpage Black - both French Lick courses - Sawgrass - etc
Loved them all - can't pick one favorite
Damn!!!!

Reactions: Indyhorn
I’ll put some potential criteria out there. I like a great value dollar-wise, green fees, beers etc. I similarly appreciate a quick round. Finally I love great course condition.
One I’ve played a couple of times in the past few weeks which meets all criteria- the Players Club in Yorktown
Valhallah. But my favorite of all time isn't one of those fancy places. All over all time favorite is Wasiota Winds in Pine Mountain State Park, Kentucky. I've played hundreds of places but gimme Wasiota Winds.

Valhallah. But my favorite of all time isn't one of those fancy places. All over all time favorite is Wasiota Winds in Pine Mountain State Park, Kentucky. I've played hundreds of places but gimme Wasiota Winds.
I have played a lot of courses that are way to nice for my game, but some of my favorites

Whistling Straights--Straights Course
Victoria National
The Dye Course
Arcadia Bluffs
Erin Hills

The 2nd tier
IU Course
Greywalls in Marquette, MI
Forrest Dunes
Blackwolf Run
Cog Hill
Sycamore HIlls

Set to play Valhalla later this year and I am sure that will make the top list!!

I have played a lot of courses that are way to nice for my game, but some of my favorites

Whistling Straights--Straights Course
Victoria National
The Dye Course
Arcadia Bluffs
Erin Hills

The 2nd tier
IU Course
Greywalls in Marquette, MI
Forrest Dunes
Blackwolf Run
Cog Hill
Sycamore HIlls

Set to play Valhalla later this year and I am sure that will make the top list!!
Cog Hill-Dubsdread is a great layout, but played it post Western Open over 20 years ago and was beat up badly. Still a fun round. Arcadia and Sycamore Hills are also great courses. Played Arcadia last year in late August. No more than 50 degrees, with heavy wind and rain. You either played the course as is or lose your green fee, which was paid well in advance. Weather got much better after hole four and finished the round in good time to allow another 18 across the street. Also a nice course.

Cog Hill-Dubsdread is a great layout, but played it post Western Open over 20 years ago and was beat up badly. Still a fun round. Arcadia and Sycamore Hills are also great courses. Played Arcadia last year in late August. No more than 50 degrees, with heavy wind and rain. You either played the course as is or lose your green fee, which was paid well in advance. Weather got much better after hole four and finished the round in good time to allow another 18 across the street. Also a nice course.
South Course at Arcadia is nice, but a completely different type of course. For me I would put that in a tier with TPC Quad Cities and Louisiana, Tullymore, and a few others

Was out at Sebonack Wed. Heard some nonsense over by the clubhouse when we were making the turn. ****ing shitlibs. 😄

Damn dude. I didn’t realize you were ballin like that. Always enjoyed your posting. Wanna be friends?

Friar's Head (Kuchar was out there waiting on an Open Alternate spot), Atlantic, Sebonack, and Three Ponds...not a bad week. 😄👍
Met Kuchar a couple times. He lives most of the year down on Lake Keowee in South Carolina. My aunt plays with his wife a lot of ladies days.

Nice enough guy. He’ll never shortchange a caddy again that’s for sure.

Anyone else?

f5445091ee89b9346bf5479c3c34f0c4.jpg

I played it the day after Tiger won the BMW. Still had the Sunday pins. We played from the same tee boxes too.

It wasn't in great shape. That was one of the things that surprised me. TV makes all these course look so amazing. And obviously they're all very nice, and very well maintained. But there were rough areas too at Cog Hill. And some REALLY bad areas from where the fans had been walking.

One of the most eye opening things, for me, was how many divots were in specific areas of the fairways. I remember what I assume was a layup area on a par 5, had what seemed like hundreds of divots in a remarkably small area. Ever since I've wondered how they don't have more balls end up in divots on those types of holes.

Don't remember exactly what I shot. Upper 80s I think.

South Course at Arcadia is nice, but a completely different type of course. For me I would put that in a tier with TPC Quad Cities and Louisiana, Tullymore, and a few others
Played TPC Louisiana a year or so after it opened. Fun layout. Wasn't fully developed or all that nice yet. It had just rained a lot though, so their were clumps of wet grass everywhere, and standing water in a lot of places.

About a week later...that area got a fair bit more rain...in the form of Hurricane Katrina. My company had a big convention in the Superdome, I kicked some field goals behind our display...that was 3 days before Katrina hit.

Played both courses at Arcadia, fortunately had great weather. Low wind. Agree the South is very different style, but thought it was very, very good.

Tullymore, meh, wanted to like it more than I did. I bit too target golf and felt like good shots were sometimes punished for the slightest of miscalculation due to how tiny the greens were. The last hole is stupid. Could be a really good risk/ reward par 5, but has a giant tree directly in front of the green.

Forest Dunes and The Loop were really great.

Also have played up at Boyne Highlands, the Arthur Hills course is really good. The Heather (old RTJ) is just OK. Bay Harbor is terrific, though I liked Arcadia more.

South Course is not even worth playing IMO. Very forgettable. Bluffs Course is great.

South Course is not even worth playing IMO. Very forgettable. Bluffs Course is great.

I think the South Course is more architecturally interesting than the Bluffs course. They used a lot of Seth Raynor / Chicago Golf Club as inspiration. Obviously nowhere near as dramatic and scenic as Bluffs, but thought it was really good. There's a reason it rated 7th best course in the state. But definitely for those that like classic architecture golf.

1. Augusta National
2. Banff Springs
3. Pebble Beach
4. Pinehurst has great courses, except #2. Anyone who “liked” #2 needs therapy. #8 was my favorite.
5. Any decent Florida course (I suppose any warm weather location could be substituted) in January.
6. Sawgrass, especially the last 3 holes.
8. East Lake, Atlanta
Tie for 9&10. The old IU course for a “quick 9 with my DAD” late afternoon in the summer after work & first 4 holes of Bloomington CC in the 1950’s With my canvas bag of 4 clubs, a putter and reject/old balls. On second thought, 9&10 might be 1&2!

Last edited:
1. Augusta National
2. Banff Springs
3. Pebble Beach
4. Pinehurst has great courses, except #2. Anyone who “liked” #2 needs therapy. #8 was my favorite.
5. Any decent Florida course (I suppose any warm weather location could be substituted) in January.
8. East Lake, Atlanta
Tie for 9&10. The old IU course for a “quick 9“ late afternoon in the summer after work & first 4 holes of Bloomington CC in the 1950’s.

This guy ****s

Just played Grayhawk in Scottsdale yesterday. They host the NCAA championship every year. Beautiful course. Tough and very well maintained especially considering the rough weather we’ve been experiencing. One of our foursome played the tips, one back of the championship tees. 7500 yards. The course plays long. Really fun course.

Just played Grayhawk in Scottsdale yesterday. They host the NCAA championship every year. Beautiful course. Tough and very well maintained especially considering the rough weather we’ve been experiencing. One of our foursome played the tips, one back of the championship tees. 7500 yards. The course plays long. Really fun course.

it was 111 degrees there yesterday.

heat like that will shorten a course just as altitude will, but no doubt a tough course at any time.

1. Augusta National
2. Banff Springs
3. Pebble Beach
8. East Lake, Atlanta
Tie for 9&10. The old IU course for a “quick 9 with my DAD” late afternoon in the summer after work & first 4 holes of Bloomington CC in the 1950’s With my canvas bag of 4 clubs, a putter and reject/old balls. On second thought, 9&10 might be 1&2!
Damn

Do they still have bent greens, or did they convert to one of the new Bermuda strands?

We dumped Grayhawk from our rota and added Trron North because of the cart rules...Grayhawk used to be path only during the summer. Sucked.

Was that the current #9, #1, #2, and #3?
I don’t know. Have not been back since they opened 2nd 9.
In the 50’s, 1st 4 were closest to street and before pool and (old) clubhouse. They’d let children on 1st 4 late in the afternoon.
The 4th hole “tips” hit over the drive up to the clubhouse.

I don’t know. Have not been back since they opened 2nd 9.
In the 50’s, 1st 4 were closest to street and before pool and (old) clubhouse. They’d let children on 1st 4 late in the afternoon.
The 4th hole “tips” hit over the drive up to the clubhouse.
OK...so the old clubhouse must have been where the condo's are now (see overhead link, below).

#1 must have been the current #4...and the loop you played must have been current #4, #5, #6, and #7.

From there, I'm assuming you played the current #8 as the fifth hole, and then back around with the current #3 serving as the 9th hole.

Good history. Thanks man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT