ADVERTISEMENT

It wouldn't surprise me if Harrison Lake Country Club now has one of the best golf courses in Indiana. In my

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
opinion it was a wonderful course in the past, but management closed it down for about 18 months for a renovation and opened it up again on August 31 of this year. Unfortunately, it is going to close down this coming Monday and probably not open until spring so they can make some more improvements to it.

Instead of a par 72 like it was in the past, it now is a par 71 because it has five par 3 holes. It has 88 beautiful bunkers and the greens are much larger than they were in the past. The greens also are much tougher because many of them have false fronts. Some of them also have three tiers. It isn't unusual to hit a putt that is short and it winds up rolling off the front of the green.

The black tees are the longest ones followed by gold tees, red tees and white tees. You also are allowed to play a combination of two sets of tees. I was playing the gold tees, but struggled to break 90. A playing partner convinced me to play the Rival tees (10 gold tees and 8 red tees) last weekend and I am enjoying myself much more as a result. They are called "Rival tees" because they are gold as in Purdue and red as in IU. A buddy and I played nine holes Tuesday evening after work and I shot a +3 score of 38. It consisted of six pars and three bogeys.

Another thing I really like about our club is our choose up group is basically guaranteed tee times every Friday, Saturday and Sunday when the course is open for play. The annual Member/Guest prevents us from using the course for three or four straight days once a year, but that is about it.

I also like the fact I can play golf after work during the week and seldom have to wait on anybody in front of me. As a result, I can finish in about 90 minutes or less in most cases.

Our driving range used to be inconvenient because it was about a half mile or more from the first tee, but now it is approximately 100 feet from the first tee.

If any of you guys live near Columbus, IN, you ought to consider joining our country club. It is wonderful!

Reactions: kkott and Brockway
opinion it was a wonderful course in the past, but management closed it down for about 18 months for a renovation and opened it up again on August 31 of this year. Unfortunately, it is going to close down this coming Monday and probably not open until spring so they can make some more improvements to it.

Instead of a par 72 like it was in the past, it now is a par 71 because it has five par 3 holes. It has 88 beautiful bunkers and the greens are much larger than they were in the past. The greens also are much tougher because many of them have false fronts. Some of them also have three tiers. It isn't unusual to hit a putt that is short and it winds up rolling off the front of the green.

The black tees are the longest ones followed by gold tees, red tees and white tees. You also are allowed to play a combination of two sets of tees. I was playing the gold tees, but struggled to break 90. A playing partner convinced me to play the Rival tees (10 gold tees and 8 red tees) last weekend and I am enjoying myself much more as a result. They are called "Rival tees" because they are gold as in Purdue and red as in IU. A buddy and I played nine holes Tuesday evening after work and I shot a +3 score of 38. It consisted of six pars and three bogeys.

Another thing I really like about our club is our choose up group is basically guaranteed tee times every Friday, Saturday and Sunday when the course is open for play. The annual Member/Guest prevents us from using the course for three or four straight days once a year, but that is about it.

I also like the fact I can play golf after work during the week and seldom have to wait on anybody in front of me. As a result, I can finish in about 90 minutes or less in most cases.

Our driving range used to be inconvenient because it was about a half mile or more from the first tee, but now it is approximately 100 feet from the first tee.

If any of you guys live near Columbus, IN, you ought to consider joining our country club. It is wonderful!
10 gold tees vs 8 red tees? In Southern IN no less? I'd say someone can't do math or is a PU grad. I can't imagine the bitch session that would ensue if McNutt is playing behind a group and they are alternating tee boxes, not even contemplating their bunker etiquette or fragrances they might be wearing, or cigars they might smoke!

so how much more is it going to cost?

i've watched more than one course be "improved" from affordable to unaffordable in my day.

that said, wth happened to the blues being the back tees.

i've watched more than one course be "improved" from affordable to unaffordable in my day.

There certainly are more knowledgable golfers on here, but I think most courses have always at least had provisions for black or "pro" tees, but they may not have them up and marked all the time to try and discourage folks from playing tees that are too far for their skill level. I was thinking there was sometimes even another level, essentially for tournament or touring pros that were maybe gold, but not sure about that. I am pretty certain most courses do have another set of tees behind blues, but they just don't always have them marked.

I am pretty certain most courses do have another set of tees behind blues, but they just don't always have them marked.

they do now, but seemed like the blues were the back tees back in the day.

that said, just play from "the tips".

they do now, but seemed like the blues were the back tees back in the day.

that said, just play from "the tips".
and one of the online explanations I found, basically said what you did: 3 sets; red (womens), whites (men), blues (championship). I always thought blues were low handicap and then blacks were pro/championship.

I know golf is frustrating. I'm pretty athletic overall and look good swinging a club and usually am decent tee to green, but my God, I can rack up strokes around and on a green like nobodies business! I prefer to play the whites, suck from the blues, and anything farther looks like hell.

It depends on what you want included in the membership. Mine does not include a riding cart because I prefer to walk when I play golf. Because I resigned from the country club about two or three years ago, I paid an initiation fee of $6,000 plus $6,750 membership fee for a total of $12,750. It also includes the driving range, a locker and the indoor range. In my opinion, it is worth every penny.

88 bunkers?? That's a lot of rakes
It's also a lot of power raking by the staff. The staff is doing an outstanding job of maintaining the course, by the way. I also haven't had any of them drive by me in the middle of a shot or putt, by the way.

10 gold tees vs 8 red tees? In Southern IN no less? I'd say someone can't do math or is a PU grad. I can't imagine the bitch session that would ensue if McNutt is playing behind a group and they are alternating tee boxes, not even contemplating their bunker etiquette or fragrances they might be wearing, or cigars they might smoke!
Our owner is a Purdue grad. I have known him for years and he is a great guy! We love to tease each other about IU and Purdue sports. When I wear one of my IU caps to the club, I love to point at it when I see him.

Reactions: kkott
It depends on what you want included in the membership. Mine does not include a riding cart because I prefer to walk when I play golf. Because I resigned from the country club about two or three years ago, I paid an initiation fee of $6,000 plus $6,750 membership fee for a total of $12,750. It also includes the driving range, a locker and the indoor range. In my opinion, it is worth every penny.
you sell copiers and just dropped almost $13k on a golf membership?

are you related to Walter White?

you sell copiers and just dropped almost $13k on a golf membership?

are you related to Walter White?
I don't know Walter White. However, I am 69 years old and my wife and I have an agreement. As long as I continue to work full-time we can be members my Garden of Eden (Harrison Lake Country Club). I wrote them a check for the total amount and it takes me through March 31, 2024.

Reactions: kkott
I don't know Walter White.

say-my-name-heisenberg-breaking-bad.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT