ADVERTISEMENT

Best fast food fish and chips?

RunninRichie

Sophomore
Sep 5, 2019
for me it’s gotta be captain D’s long john silvers is far to greasy, Capn D has got it going on!

your dearest thoughts

-RunninRichie aka ”runninritchie”

Reactions: Radio Zero
for me it’s gotta be captain D’s long john silvers is far to greasy, Capn D has got it going on!

your dearest thoughts

I remember Captain's D's in Vincennes on 6th street. There was a Long John Silvers near it which I thought was interesting to have competing sea food places near each other. But I never went to
This place. Fast forward the video to 4.45

Reactions: RunninRichie
The chain is the namesake of Arthur Treacher (1894–1975), an English character actor typecast as "the perfect butler" for his performances as Jeeves, as a butler in several Shirley Temple films, and the role of Constable Jones in Walt Disney Productions' Mary Poppins. At the time the chain was founded, Treacher was best known as the announcer and sidekick on the popular The Merv Griffin Show. Whether Treacher actually had a financial involvement in the restaurants is unknown (in interviews he refused to say), but he "served as a spokesman for the restaurant chain in its early years, underscoring the British character of its food. In a 1975 interview, New England franchise vice president M. John Elliott claimed the fish recipe to be the actor's own, brought over from the United Kingdom.

The chain is the namesake of Arthur Treacher (1894–1975), an English character actor typecast as "the perfect butler" for his performances as Jeeves, as a butler in several Shirley Temple films, and the role of Constable Jones in Walt Disney Productions' Mary Poppins. At the time the chain was founded, Treacher was best known as the announcer and sidekick on the popular The Merv Griffin Show. Whether Treacher actually had a financial involvement in the restaurants is unknown (in interviews he refused to say), but he "served as a spokesman for the restaurant chain in its early years, underscoring the British character of its food. In a 1975 interview, New England franchise vice president M. John Elliott claimed the fish recipe to be the actor's own, brought over from the United Kingdom.
THANK YOU.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I remember Captain's D's in Vincennes on 6th street. There was a Long John Silvers near it which I thought was interesting to have competing sea food places near each other. But I never went to
This place. Fast forward the video to 4.45
I ate at that Capt D's on 6th street many times. Been 40 yrs but wasn't in the same area as Happy Joe's Pizza?
The old days, Capt D's for dinner, then stop at Service Merchandise to pick up the new Missile Command cartridge for my Atari 2600....

Long John's is so greasy....when we were kids and had iron clad guts, stuff like this and TBell was the best. Now, I eat this crap and will be heading to the bathroom within 90 minutes. Same deal with Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich...love it but it's like eating two sticks of dynamite.

I ate at that Capt D's on 6th street many times. Been 40 yrs but wasn't in the same area as Happy Joe's Pizza?
The old days, Capt D's for dinner, then stop at Service Merchandise to pick up the new Missile Command cartridge for my Atari 2600....

Long John's is so greasy....when we were kids and had iron clad guts, stuff like this and TBell was the best. Now, I eat this crap and will be heading to the bathroom within 90 minutes. Same deal with Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich...love it but it's like eating two sticks of dynamite.
I don't remember Happy Joe's. Now you talking about the Atari 2600 took me back. I had a lot of fun with it. I guess kids today could not stomach it just as they can't seem to watch a black and white movie.

They had Happy Joe’s pizza in Indiana?

long time ago....there was one in Vincennes around 1980....I actually played on a 7th grade summer team through the YMCA and they were our sponsors...spent the summer wearing a Happy's Joe's jersey.
I just thought why I didn't remember Happy Joe's. My mother whenever she wanted pizza when we were in Vincennes would want to go to Bobes. It was her favorite. When they came to Washington Indiana my hometown. She was thrilled.

I just thought why I didn't remember Happy Joe's. My mother whenever she wanted pizza when we were in Vincennes would want to go to Bobes. It was her favorite. When they came to Washington Indiana my hometown. She was thrilled.
yes Bobe's was much better. Still is. I went to school (jr high) with some of the Bobe kids. Went to Clark middle school when we had open campus lunch and a bunch of us would run down to the Bobe's near St John's church. Back when $2 could get you a pepperoni stromboli and soda.

Oh, oh...an Arthur Treacher stalker! What do you do, sell Arthur Treacher collectibles on Ebay? What is an AT headshot, B&W, 8X10 glossy, autographed going for these days without looking?

I don't eat the fast food...but my mom (81 yo) swears that Culver's has the best....

I don't normally eat fast food either but, I make an exception where he Bloomington Culvers is involved. Laz runs a tight ship. spotless, courteous, and consistent from one visit to the next. Not sure I'd refer to it as fish and chips but the "North Atlantic Cod" is not too shabby.

Go Laz!

Reactions: herrli
I don't normally eat fast food either but, I make an exception where he Bloomington Culvers is involved. Laz runs a tight ship. spotless, courteous, and consistent from one visit to the next. Not sure I'd refer to it as fish and chips but the "North Atlantic Cod" is not too shabby.

Go Laz!
Had the Culver's northwoods walleye sandwich on Friday.....pretty damn good.

Reactions: Vern Pain

Go Laz!
We love Culvers everywhere. There are not any in Pennsylvania so we have to get it while on vacation.

Reactions: birdforbogey

your dearest thoughts

no brainer,

never big on the "no shirt" rule though.

th

We love Culvers everywhere. There are not any in Pennsylvania so we have to get it while on vacation.
Living in Northern IL and always playing in Wisconsin has its benefits if you like Culvers. We actually have one we can walk to from home...fun to take the kids there on a summer evening for the frozen custard. And they've always had one of the better fish sandwiches. But I do feel guilty eating something called the "Butter Burger". And cheese curds, although they are hard to resist.

John Laskowski owns the Culvers in Bloomington. He's always there and he's always involved in the operations in the floor. He busses tables, he runs drive through orders out to cars, he refills people's drinks and he visits with as many quests as he can. He's a busy bee and it comes out in the product.

Reactions: herrli
John Laskowski owns the Culvers in Bloomington. He's always there and he's always involved in the operations in the floor. He busses tables, he runs drive through orders out to cars, he refills people's drinks and he visits with as many quests as he can. He's a busy bee and it comes out in the product.
Do you know if he is the sole owner or is he part of a group? That is really something that he is there doing hands on work.

Living in Northern IL and always playing in Wisconsin has its benefits if you like Culvers. We actually have one we can walk to from home...fun to take the kids there on a summer evening for the frozen custard. And they've always had one of the better fish sandwiches. But I do feel guilty eating something called the "Butter Burger". And cheese curds, although they are hard to resist.
If we get the cheese curds we share them among at least three people. One item I really like is their root beer. Even their diet root beer is very good.

If we get the cheese curds we share them among at least three people. One item I really like is their root beer. Even their diet root beer is very good.
yes, get a scoop of their vanilla custard and throw it in their root beer. Best root beer float I've ever had. But be careful if you're a diabetic, you'll go into shock within 15 minutes.

Do you know if he is the sole owner or is he part of a group? That is really something that he is there doing hands on work.
I read a story about this a few years ago ( alumni magazine maybe ?). IIRC it's a family-owned business and Laz is a partner with his son.

I read a story about this a few years ago ( alumni magazine maybe ?). IIRC it's a family-owned business and Laz is a partner with his son.

It's a partnership of three people. I don't know where their other locations are but I know Laz, his son, and his wife are literally always on the premises. He had a very difficult time with Bloomington over several years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT