ADVERTISEMENT

Before anyone concedes the Bucket game just yet...

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I'm hopeful of the following: IU pulls the win in MN, enjoys/heals up on much needed bye week, and then takes care of business with MD to get to the six wins for bowl eligibility.

Prior to the bucket game at IU, which will get fans there to start for sure...PU goes at MSU, home vs. IA, at MN, and home vs. Wiscy. NO bye week left. One more game than us prior to the bucket.

I could easily see PU, now 4-3, being 5-6 coming into IU and IU having a shot to keep them from going to a bowl while IU is either same 5-6 or ideally 6-5 and going for a 7-5 better bowl opportunity.

THAT would be ideal/sweet! And PU would be hungry, but also possibly dragging. IU could be up like were against Penn St. but without the special teams collapse. And I'm going to say it openly, I believe Reese Taylor will help IU in the last 4 games at some point. Would love to see him show his playmaking skills and be the ARE 2.0 I believe he can be and keep Boilers down.

Start visualizing it now!

I’m sticking with my call that I’ve been reiterating all year. Both teams are 5-6 going into the Bucket Game. Winner take all.

I'm hopeful of the following: IU pulls the win in MN, enjoys/heals up on much needed bye week, and then takes care of business with MD to get to the six wins for bowl eligibility.

Prior to the bucket game at IU, which will get fans there to start for sure...PU goes at MSU, home vs. IA, at MN, and home vs. Wiscy. NO bye week left. One more game than us prior to the bucket.

I could easily see PU, now 4-3, being 5-6 coming into IU and IU having a shot to keep them from going to a bowl while IU is either same 5-6 or ideally 6-5 and going for a 7-5 better bowl opportunity.

THAT would be ideal/sweet! And PU would be hungry, but also possibly dragging. IU could be up like were against Penn St. but without the special teams collapse. And I'm going to say it openly, I believe Reese Taylor will help IU in the last 4 games at some point. Would love to see him show his playmaking skills and be the ARE 2.0 I believe he can be and keep Boilers down.

As long as the game is on Thanksgiving weekend, filling either joint will be a problem. PU typically doesn't bring many fans and IU won't fill it.

I don't share your optimism about that game,and that's irrespective of Purdue's record at the time. I'm praying we've locked up bowl eligibility before November 24.

Agree on a lot of this, but you left out the nasty prospect of us playing at Michigan the week before the Bucket game. That game will use up a lot of energy just to keep from getting blown out. Plus you have to worry about us being physically beat up that week. So, imo, this offsets any benefit we would get from PU not having any bye week.

I would also note that Wisky playing at PU the week before the Bucket game is not as big a deal as it would be if they were much better. I don't think they are good enough to deliver a crushing defeat to Purdue. Perhaps the best scenario would be a very close, bitter loss for Purdue.

Agree on a lot of this, but you left out the nasty prospect of us playing at Michigan the week before the Bucket game. That game will use up a lot of energy just to keep from getting blown out. Plus you have to worry about us being physically beat up that week. So, imo, this offsets any benefit we would get from PU not having any bye week.

I would also note that Wisky playing at PU the week before the Bucket game is not as big a deal as it would be if they were much better. I don't think they are good enough to deliver a crushing defeat to Purdue. Perhaps the best scenario would be a very close, bitter loss for Purdue.
I think Wiscy is big enough to at least have the same wear down effect on PU as IU at UM, and PU will be on a long streak of games, whereas at least IU has a late bye week to help the cause.

It's all TBD and why they play the game, but I think had IU not had special teams collapse and beat Penn St people might have a different tune and say PU could be closer. PU playing well and huge win for them, but 5 games from now could be different team. But not saying it's a gimme for sure either.

I think Wiscy is big enough to at least have the same wear down effect on PU as IU at UM, and PU will be on a long streak of games, whereas at least IU has a late bye week to help the cause.

It's all TBD and why they play the game, but I think had IU not had special teams collapse and beat Penn St people might have a different tune and say PU could be closer. PU playing well and huge win for them, but 5 games from now could be different team. But not saying it's a gimme for sure either.
I don't mean to diminish what Purdue did Saturday night at all because it was an ass-kicking. Purdue has some wicked offensive weapons and the Boilers are playing really well right now.

However, the dookie dropped by the Buckeyes in W. Laffy makes our effort against Iowa look brilliant by comparison. The players looked completely unprepared and uninspired and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out who at OSU decided they didn't need to even try to run the ball. I can't figure out if it was stupidity, arrogance, or a bit of both. Add to that the strategy of constantly cheating linebackers and safeties to within three yards of the line of scrimmage all but insuring that any broken tackle by Moore or Knox was going to result in a touchdown.

Giving the PUke offense more possessions is like daring Mike Tyson to see if he can punch you in the face before you duck. At some point you're going to get your face rearranged. I've never seen a team as talented as OSU suck as bad as the Buckeyes did Saturday on both sides of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how MSU approaches the game with the Boilers. As offensively challenged as Sparty is this season, I will not be surprised at all to see Purdue win in East Lansing. But I will bet money that MSU will not spray the ball all over the field for 30-second possessions that give Blough and Moore seven or eight more chances to score.

Reactions: IUCol and 76-1
I don't mean to diminish what Purdue did Saturday night at all because it was an ass-kicking. Purdue has some wicked offensive weapons and the Boilers are playing really well right now.

However, the dookie dropped by the Buckeyes in W. Laffy makes our effort against Iowa look brilliant by comparison. The players looked completely unprepared and uninspired and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out who at OSU decided they didn't need to even try to run the ball. I can't figure out if it was stupidity, arrogance, or a bit of both. Add to that the strategy of constantly cheating linebackers and safeties to within three yards of the line of scrimmage all but insuring that any broken tackle by Moore or Knox was going to result in a touchdown.

Giving the PUke offense more possessions is like daring Mike Tyson to see if he can punch you in the face before you duck. At some point you're going to get your face rearranged. I've never seen a team as talented as OSU suck as bad as the Buckeyes did Saturday on both sides of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how MSU approaches the game with the Boilers. As offensively challenged as Sparty is this season, I will not be surprised at all to see Purdue win in East Lansing. But I will bet money that MSU will not spray the ball all over the field for 30-second possessions that give Blough and Moore seven or eight more chances to score.

OSU's defense played fine for 3 quarters, not great, but decent, only allowing 21 pts in a pretty high paced game. Then they just flat gave up in the 4th quarter.

I think if either team comes in at 5-6 that gives them an even bigger motivational advantage. Playing for a bowl or go home.

I fear that the Darrell Hazzell is on the other foot and that our respective two ships crossed heading different directions last November. These are kids though, so you never know.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I fear that the Darrell Hazzell is on the other foot and that our respective two ships crossed heading different directions last November. These are kids though, so you never know.
IU is nowhere close to that fiasco. That salary thief is in the group worst coaches of all time.

Purdue already had a bye week.

I’m sticking with my call that I’ve been reiterating all year. Both teams are 5-6 going into the Bucket Game. Winner take all.
That’s not exactly a comforting scenario, since IU hasn’t exactly responded to other urgency when the stakes are high. Until proven otherwise, the spotlight is something that scares, rather than inspires, this staff and team.

Reactions: indy1203 and DANC
"It's all TBD and why they play the game, but I think had IU not had special teams collapse and beat Penn St people might have a different tune and say PU could be closer. PU playing well and huge win for them, but 5 games from now could be different team. But not saying it's a gimme for sure either.
No offense...but isn't that a tautology? vbg :oops::eek::rolleyes:

That’s not exactly a comforting scenario, since IU hasn’t exactly responded to other urgency when the stakes are high. Until proven otherwise, the spotlight is something that scares, rather than inspires, this staff and team.

Welcome back. Hopefully you will act like a reasonable human being this time? Best wishes.

I hate Purdue, but do not think they will lose another game this year unless they have key injuries.

Reactions: idaho_bob
I hate Purdue, but do not think they will lose another game this year unless they have key injuries.
I’ve heard people say that but I do not think they are so dominant they can run the table on MSU, Iowa & Wiscy. If I’m wrong I’ll say I was wrong at end of season, but I caution believing their world beating headlines just yet.

I’ve heard people say that but I do not think they are so dominant they can run the table on MSU, Iowa & Wiscy. If I’m wrong I’ll say I was wrong at end of season, but I caution believing their world beating headlines just yet.
Agree. They were impressive Sat. night but I don't know how much of that was Purdue and how much was the total ineptitude of OSU. They still struggled to stop OSU, especially late in the game and for some reason, the Buckeyes didn't even attempt to run the ball.

I think both Iowa and MSU are superior defensively to OSU. Wisky is not as good as usual but is certainly not bad defensively. I think all three will have much better defensive schemes. MSU struggles offensively, as does Wisky when it can't run it down your throat. The question is whether those two can still outscore Purdue (who is going to score some points on anybody). So far Iowa looks like the real deal but they handed a win to Wisky with sloppy special teams play and turnovers (geez, that sounds familiar) and last year they dropped a giant turd at home vs. Purdue.

Those games will all be interesting. One thing I'm sure of is that the Boilers won't sneak into any of those games overlooked. They pretty much got everybody's attention Saturday night.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Bottom line is that the Bucket game is going to be a lot tougher than most thought early on. IU would be well served to win two before that.

Agree. They were impressive Sat. night but I don't know how much of that was Purdue and how much was the total ineptitude of OSU. They still struggled to stop OSU, especially late in the game and for some reason, the Buckeyes didn't even attempt to run the ball.

I think both Iowa and MSU are superior defensively to OSU. Wisky is not as good as usual but is certainly not bad defensively. I think all three will have much better defensive schemes. MSU struggles offensively, as does Wisky when it can't run it down your throat. The question is whether those two can still outscore Purdue (who is going to score some points on anybody). So far Iowa looks like the real deal but they handed a win to Wisky with sloppy special teams play and turnovers (geez, that sounds familiar) and last year they dropped a giant turd at home vs. Purdue.

Those games will all be interesting. One thing I'm sure of is that the Boilers won't sneak into any of those games overlooked. They pretty much got everybody's attention Saturday night.

I agree. Although, OSU did attempt to run the ball but was horribly inept when they tried. Herbstreit commented that the OL was talented, and had been expected to "gel" by mid-season, but just had not done so. That boggles the mind.

Purdue exploited OSU's weaknesses. In the 4th Q, OSU scored 2 TDs on 32 and 34 yard pass plays, but were completely shut down when they got closer to the goal line. That was primarily due to defensive adjustments made by Brohm/Holt.

I have no doubt, OSU has significant internal issues. How else can you explain a team full of 4- and 5-star OL, RB, etc., not being able to run the ball? Just on talent alone, OSU should have been able to run the table through the B1G Championship.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT