ADVERTISEMENT

Bedford performance

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
This was one of the most disturbing things for me. He graded out terribly. When Bray Lynch came in to replace him he got destroyed on one play. He needs to be a strength on the OL.

If memory serves, PFF grades on Bedford for 2021 showed him to be adequate on running plays and poor on passing plays so guard is where he belongs, not tackle. But even at guard he is not a strength and the love he gets from coaches and fans is bewildering.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If memory serves, PFF grades on Bedford for 2021 showed him to be adequate on running plays and poor on passing plays so guard is where he belongs, not tackle. But even at guard he is not a strength and the love he gets from coaches and fans is bewildering.

If anybody can figure it out, I have more faith in Bostad to see this than Darren Hiller ever did.
The thing about OSU as I watched their front seven was SPEED. They have guys on the DL that were every bit as fast as our skill guys. They tracked them down with ease. When you cannot run inside, cannot get around the corner and have milliseconds to get the ball released out of the pocket, you won’t have a good day offensively.
It was a damn miracle that we could rush for even 2-3 yards. Last year, our guys were routinely blown up in the backfield. The OL was a damn sieve. I expect more out of them this year. It couldn’t possibly be worse than the last 24 months.

But even at guard he is not a strength and the love he gets from coaches and fans is bewildering.
Perhaps the love from coaches is things that we don't see on the field and only they see in practice? Like the quote from Bell in Crusty's article:

“Matt is a class act,” Bell said. “That’s the one thing that I think is important for everyone to understand about Matt Bedford is how all-in he is about Indiana.”

And maybe from fans because he was a long time starter who has given the team a lot and is the most veteran player on the team. Plus he was Honorable-mention All-Big Ten as a junior and fans hoped he'd take the next step his senior season though it was derailed in the first game.

This doesn't excuse his poor performance. However, I'm more than willing to give him time to get back to form after missing a full season with an ACL tear before we start calling for a replacement. First game in a year having to go against OSU DLine is probably not indicative of the actual talent he'll show on field for the rest of the season. Now if he is still struggling by the time we get back to conference play (we'll see in the Louisville game) then I'll be calling for Longman or Lynch to step in.

When Hiller used to scream at the OL between series, Mathew was the guy who kept his teammates calm, focused and together. Saw several near confrontations between DH and several OL where Matt intervened and was the adult in the room.

Reactions: ESalum86
I don't want to go into much detail...but he was dog sick for several days leading up to the game. That young man literally gave everything he had on Saturday.

I have no idea how the season plays out for him...but I am super proud of him for getting after it with his guys. They performed better than I had even hoped for and that is a really good sign for both lines. Can't wait to see him Friday!

I don't want to go into much detail...but he was dog sick for several days leading up to the game. That young man literally gave everything he had on Saturday.

I have no idea how the season plays out for him...but I am super proud of him for getting after it with his guys. They performed better than I had even hoped for and that is a really good sign for both lines. Can't wait to see him Friday!
Yes Saturday’s heat was double tough for someone who possibly started the day dehydrated and was pounding electrolytes from 8am on.

Apparently Bedford and Benson swapped spots.

Indiana football’s surprising position swap on offensive line might not be temporary

I think the switch to guard wearing a knee brace on his dropback (right) leg made sense v. the OSU DE matchup. Should Bedford become the best RT later, Bostad would appear to have the flexibilty to switch back. All things considered, RG is more likely Bedford’s NFL future, than RT. (I expect Bostad to understand that more clearly than I do).

Where do the lineman grades come from that are being referenced in the OP?

I honestly don’t recall anything sticking out live to make me think there was a major blocking problem.

From a YPC perspective, I think part of that would have to come from running the option against athletic LBs. Even when the right read was made, they seemed to be able to get to the ball carrier for minimal gains. That’s not a blocking error, that’s just good D.

We can say what we want about the effectiveness of the ground game against OSU, but the fact remains they generally were moving forward which is a big improvement from years past.

I'm guessing he's talking about PFF (Pro Football Focus) which rates players performance after each game. Don't ask me how it's done but they reduce performance to numbers and then give the numbers a value compared to other players. It's a ranking service for pro and college football.

Where do the lineman grades come from that are being referenced in the OP?

I honestly don’t recall anything sticking out live to make me think there was a major blocking problem.

From a YPC perspective, I think part of that would have to come from running the option against athletic LBs. Even when the right read was made, they seemed to be able to get to the ball carrier for minimal gains. That’s not a blocking error, that’s just good D.

We can say what we want about the effectiveness of the ground game against OSU, but the fact remains they generally were moving forward which is a big improvement from years past.
They outnumbered us in the box and dared us to throw, which we couldn’t reliably do. That’s how everyone is going to come at us.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm guessing he's talking about PFF (Pro Football Focus) which rates players performance after each game. Don't ask me how it's done but they reduce performance to numbers and then give the numbers a value compared to other players. It's a ranking service for pro and college football.
Correct … Pro Football Focus as reported by Jack A. For SI.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If anybody can figure it out, I have more faith in Bostad to see this than Darren Hiller ever did.
The thing about OSU as I watched their front seven was SPEED. They have guys on the DL that were every bit as fast as our skill guys. They tracked them down with ease. When you cannot run inside, cannot get around the corner and have milliseconds to get the ball released out of the pocket, you won’t have a good day offensively.
It was a damn miracle that we could rush for even 2-3 yards. Last year, our guys were routinely blown up in the backfield. The OL was a damn sieve. I expect more out of them this year. It couldn’t possibly be worse than the last 24 months.
I think we already saw more and the position swap is something I didn't recognize until I saw notes afterwards.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
I think the switch to guard wearing a knee brace on his dropback (right) leg made sense v. the OSU DE matchup. Should Bedford become the best RT later, Bostad would appear to have the flexibilty to switch back. All things considered, RG is more likely Bedford’s NFL future, than RT. (I expect Bostad to understand that more clearly than I do).
Subsequently read that the switch was motivated by Longman’s injury.
I suspect we’ll see Bedford and Benson in the same spots Friday.

Reactions: 76-1 and IU73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT