ADVERTISEMENT

Becoming Clear who the recruiters are

Probably helps that the 3 have a history together of having awesome passing offenses.

The remaining question mark will be the offensive line. hopefully the silent verbals are lineman

Last edited:
Agreed, still many vital needs before a product I envision on the field makes IUFB viable. But sure not complaining about the momentum I see this staff has created. I keep keying on Cignetti's statement about fighting complacency EVERYday. To me that is his brand.
CCC definitely has a successful blueprint in the works. Sit back, watch & smile.

CCC definitely has a successful blueprint in the works. Sit back, watch & smile.

The guy has won everywhere he has been. My opinion on next season is that we have 3 games that should be gimmes on the schedule. Then we have 3 or 4 that are likely losses. That leaves 5 or 6 games to get 3 wins. Tall order but if we get a bowl in one year then we could see this take off.

The guy has won everywhere he has been. My opinion on next season is that we have 3 games that should be gimmes on the schedule. Then we have 3 or 4 that are likely losses. That leaves 5 or 6 games to get 3 wins. Tall order but if we get a bowl in one year then we could see this take off.

I agree with you.

I would also point out that we have eight home games next year. That could be a big deal.

To date it does not look like recruiting is Bostad's strength. His incoming class was pretty unheralded and he did not do a great job on retention. He's clearly not Mr. Personality, but on the flip side I think whomever he coaches is going to develop so I'll take any recruiting shortcoming in exchange for great coaching. If there is one position where coaching seems to matter more than any other its oline.

Do position coaches just recruit their position or do they recruit a region of the country where they have contacts?

It's also possible that Bostad actually is going after (aka wanting) the OL recruits that the media has ranked low. His ranking of recruits may be vastly different than what the media ranks. OL is probably the hardest position to rank given the nature of their position.

Premature to judge any recruiting until you see the results but doubly so with lineman IMO.

To date it does not look like recruiting is Bostad's strength. His incoming class was pretty unheralded and he did not do a great job on retention. He's clearly not Mr. Personality, but on the flip side I think whomever he coaches is going to develop so I'll take any recruiting shortcoming in exchange for great coaching. If there is one position where coaching seems to matter more than any other its oline.

He brought back the most important kid we had in the portal while also getting who looks like is our starting right tackle to commit.

He didn't even know if he was going to be here two weeks ago. He's done very well in that time.

Austin Barrett was someone else we needed to keep. He should be getting playing time soon.

oh oh, he's gotten himself into a bit of trouble

just kidding

Seems like Carter and Wedig probably have a leg up on the tackle spots. Is Barrett someone that can play guard?

Reactions: red hornet
I'll give Bostad credit for what appears like helping hold together a high school recruiting class that easily could have fragmented into near dust. It seems his Linemen never wavered... That's impressive... We'll know for certain about that this time tomorrow...

I would still very much like to see a well regarded C/G, along with a G/T type, brought in from the Portal... I know that's a lot to ask but there's still a lot of talented guys out there, in theory, at least...

oh oh, he's gotten himself into a bit of trouble

just kidding

Seems like Carter and Wedig probably have a leg up on the tackle spots. Is Barrett someone that can play guard?
That's not funny 🙉

JMU has 3 OL in the portal. 1 opted out of Bowl game. Tyler Stephen's, Tyshawn Wyatt, and Carter Miller who opted out.
I'd be very surprised if they don't end up here...

I'd still like to see an additional C/G and G/T brought in from the Portal in addition to them... Then we'd have a load of Championship Big Ten level talent to work with... Depth is the key to having a great Big Ten OL, in my opinion...

Miller is a somewhat undersized Center (but P$U won a lot of games starting a guy with similar measurables), Wyatt is a talented T/G coming off what's been described as a "serious" injury, and Stephens has played nearly every position on the line (he might be the most valuable guy of the three)...

Miller is a somewhat undersized Center (but P$U won a lot of games starting a guy with similar measurables),
When you said he was undersized I thought the guy was going to be like 250 lbs or something. Are you referring to his height? I don’t think his measurables for a center are off at all. He is almost identical to Michigan’s starting center who is only an inch taller and basically the same weight. Smith is listed at 6’1 296 on 247. I don’t see that as undersized at all. Move him out to tackle and I’d agree he is way undersized, but he is of adequate size for a center. You don’t have to be 6’5 or taller to play center. Kelce is listed as 6’3 which considering these measurements change is not a significant difference.

Texans drafted him in 23.
No I'm talking about a guy drafted in 2009 by the Steelers: A. Q. Shipley

You don't see a lot of 6'1" Centers in the NFL and since I consider the Big Ten just a half step below the NFL I consider 6'3" and up the norm (and yeah, I know the Michigan C is 6'2"...) - /for oly97/

I'm not saying the JMU guy can't play just that he's undersized based on what you see these days at that position in the Big Ten... I'd love to see him here if Bostad thinks he's talented enough to help. Center appears to be a position of need...

The reality is it's arm length (and Technique) rather than height that matters but usually the two correlate to one another.

On short yardage that couple of inches lower can result in leverage if utilized properly so it might be a positive in those situations...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Do position coaches just recruit their position or do they recruit a region of the country where they have contacts?

It's also possible that Bostad actually is going after (aka wanting) the OL recruits that the media has ranked low. His ranking of recruits may be vastly different than what the media ranks. OL is probably the hardest position to rank given the nature of their position.

Premature to judge any recruiting until you see the results but doubly so with lineman IMO.
Position coaches recruit a region of the country. They will be the first to make in person contact. The position coaches go into a school. Usually in the spring. They will meet with high school coaches. The high school coaches will identify their players that they believe are potential prospects. The HS coaches will share video on that prospect. The coach will usually get a visual and greet the prospect to make sure the prospect does meet the measurables, sometimes HS coaches may embellish ht or wt. the prospect. After verifying measurables the coach will send video to position coach and possibly coordinator. Once they identify the player as a true prospect then the regional coach, the position coach and coordinator may meet with the player. They then may set up a visit and then of course eventually set up a home visit with the coaches including the head coach. But basically it is the regional coach that has initial contact and starts to build the relationship with the prospect.

We have now established that PSU sends undersized center to the NFL.
According to the Texans he's 6'3" .

Guess he's grown.

Reactions: red hornet
According to the Texans he's 6'3" .

Guess he's grown.

His draft notes said he was undersized for an NFL line IIRC.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
You don't see a lot of 6'1" Centers in the NFL and since I consider the Big Ten just a half step below the NFL I consider 6'3" and up the norm (and yeah, I know the Michigan C is 6'2"...) - /for oly97/
Yeah, I realize it’s the norm, but I was just saying that 6’1 or 6’2 is not uncommon or in any way a limitation considering teams much better than IU that have guys in that position the same size. Baltimore Ravens starting center is list at 6’2 and he is out of Iowa. So, whereas I do agree most are taller I still don’t think that limits his potential at that position. I’m 6’3 and don’t see a major difference when standing next to a person 6’1. I can’t speak for his talent level as I’ve never seen him play, but I think he has sufficient size to play OC at any level if he’s talented enough.

Yeah, I realize it’s the norm, but I was just saying that 6’1 or 6’2 is not uncommon or in any way a limitation considering teams much better than IU that have guys in that position the same size. Baltimore Ravens starting center is list at 6’2 and he is out of Iowa. So, whereas I do agree most are taller I still don’t think that limits his potential at that position. I’m 6’3 and don’t see a major difference when standing next to a person 6’1. I can’t speak for his talent level as I’ve never seen him play, but I think he has sufficient size to play OC at any level if he’s talented enough.
Well..., we won't get to find out if he can play in the Big Ten. He's reported to have signed with ULM (another Sun Belt team). Evidently someone had doubts as to his ability to play here...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT