ADVERTISEMENT

Beautiful afternoon at the Bart

Epictetus

Freshman
Aug 30, 2006
Warm sunny Indian Summer afternoon, gentle breeze, couldn't have been a better day for baseball. We had base runners in every inning, lots of timely hits following aggressive base running, some long balls, sharp pitching by a cross-section of the pitching staff, with 8 strikeouts, allowing only 4 hits. All adds up to 7-0 victory over Xavier.

They even had concessions open...the first Cracker Jack of the 2015-16 campaign!

I wish the game had been better publicized as there was a very thin crowd, quite a few wearing Xavier colors. Anyway, it was a fantastic afternoon and wish there had been more to share it.

Hoosiers Shutout Xavier in Exhibition Contest, 7-0

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana baseball team picked up a 7-0 victory over the Xavier Musketeers in an exhibition on Thursday evening at Bart Kaufman Field. The Hoosiers accumulated 13 hits in the victory, while allowing just four hits to Xavier.

Six Hoosier pitchers combined for the four-hitter, while tallying eight strikeouts and three walks as a staff. Freshman Tim Herrin got the start on the mound, throwing two shutout innings where he allowed no hits and struck out two. Sophomore Brian Hobbie, freshman Jonathan Stiever and junior Jake Kelzer each logged two strikeouts in their appearances as well.

On the offensive end, junior Austin Cangelosi, freshman Ryan Fineman and sophomore Isaiah Pasteureach had two hits in the victory. Seven different Hoosiers drove in a run in the victory, while senior third baseman Brian Wilhite homered Indiana in the second inning.

Indiana's Fall World Series will take place Oct. 15, 16 and 18. The three-game series will also be part of Alumni weekend, featuring a golf outing on Oct. 16 and an Alumni Game on Oct. 17.

Below is a complete schedule of Indiana Baseball's remaining fall events.

Date Event Time
Oct. 15 Fall World Series Game 1 3:30 p.m.
Oct. 16 Fall World Series Game 2 6:00 p.m.
Oct. 18 Fall World Series Game 3 1:00 p.m.

Go Hoosiers!

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/news/2015/10/8/BB_1008150035.aspx

Warm sunny Indian Summer afternoon, gentle breeze, couldn't have been a better day for baseball. We had base runners in every inning, lots of timely hits following aggressive base running, some long balls, sharp pitching by a cross-section of the pitching staff, with 8 strikeouts, allowing only 4 hits. All adds up to 7-0 victory over Xavier.

They even had concessions open...the first Cracker Jack of the 2015-16 campaign!

I wish the game had been better publicized as there was a very thin crowd, quite a few wearing Xavier colors. Anyway, it was a fantastic afternoon and wish there had been more to share it.

I wish the roster on the website was up to date. There were names of players doing things in that game yesterday not on the roster and never even mentioned in any recruit signings or releases or anything. As I understand it, the SID for baseball probably also has a fall sport they're assigned to that takes a front seat this time of year, but to be at midterms and not have an updated roster online is a little frustrating.

Does anyone know who is supposedly responsible for updating the Web info? According to the IU Staff Directory, it looks like Greg Kincaid in Media Relations. I have sent him an email asking when we might expect updating.

Krupa was a starter, played left field. He led off with a single and stole second, then was doubled off second off a diving catch in center. Next time up he walked, took second on a wild pitch and scored on a single to right. In the 7th he grounded out. I had to leave in the 8th, so didn't see if he came to bat again.

Nothing to note defensively; not many hit out that way.

I wish the roster on the website was up to date. There were names of players doing things in that game yesterday not on the roster and never even mentioned in any recruit signings or releases or anything. As I understand it, the SID for baseball probably also has a fall sport they're assigned to that takes a front seat this time of year, but to be at midterms and not have an updated roster online is a little frustrating.

He handles football this time of year. I'm not a fan of having a fall roster public considering some kids will not be here this spring (cut, academics, personal reasons, etc). Either way, some new guys in the mix will be Tony Butler (IF) Tristan Leggett (IF) and Luke Miller (utility). Big fan of Butler as that kid just makes the routine play all the time, and as I've also said Luke Miller is going to be a stud! Going to be hard to keep those guys off the field.

Krupa and Eustace have been in a battle for an OF spot. Both with tremendous speed and have just found a way to get on base this fall. Ramos has been out most of the fall with injury. Cangi has looked good, much faster as his ankle has healed. So much more I can get into, but this team is really deep at multiple positions. Quality depth that I haven't seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
He handles football this time of year. I'm not a fan of having a fall roster public considering some kids will not be here this spring (cut, academics, personal reasons, etc). Either way, some new guys in the mix will be Tony Butler (IF) Tristan Leggett (IF) and Luke Miller (utility). Big fan of Butler as that kid just makes the routine play all the time, and as I've also said Luke Miller is going to be a stud! Going to be hard to keep those guys off the field.

Krupa and Eustace have been in a battle for an OF spot. Both with tremendous speed and have just found a way to get on base this fall. Ramos has been out most of the fall with injury. Cangi has looked good, much faster as his ankle has healed. So much more I can get into, but this team is really deep at multiple positions. Quality depth that I haven't seen in a long time.

Who's at 2B? Holdsworth?

Dedelow still in CF or is that where the Eustace/Krupa battle is taking place?

Who's at 2B? Holdsworth?

Dedelow still in CF or is that where the Eustace/Krupa battle is taking place?

Holdsworth in the mix at 2nd, defense will determine who plays that position. The OF is very packed with quality guy, and many of them can play all 3 spots. Dedlow, Sowers, Eustace, Krupa, Lowe, Hooker, lots of options in OF. Probably see some matchup lineups RvsL in the OF. I like Sowers RF, Dedlow CF, Eustace/Krupa/Lowe/Hooker LF.

Last edited:
I almost forgot, you could even slide Luke Miller in the corner OF. Luke can play all the corners, a true utility guy with tools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT