ADVERTISEMENT

Based On This Year's Numbers, Here's Some High School Players To Keep An Eye On For The Next Few Years

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Flory Bidunga Sophomore Center (Kokomo)- 17 PPG 13 RPG 5 BPG
Isaac Andrews Sophomore Guard (Wapahani)- 22 PPG 6 RPG 4APG
Nolan Swan Sophomore Guard (Tipton)- 16 PPG 5 APG 2 SPG
Albert Schwartz Sophomore Forward (Lafayette Central Catholic)- 8 PPG 7 RPG 1 APG
Gavin Carpenter Freshman Guard (Tipton)- 9 PPG 4 RPG 5 APG
Josiah Ball Freshman Forward (Maconaquah)- 10 PPG 4 RPG 1 APG
Gavin Betten Freshman Forward (Manchester)- 18 PPG 10 RPG 2 BPG
Chase Konieczny Freshman Forward (South Bend St Joseph's)- 15 PPG 7 RPG 2 APG
Aaron Fine Sophomore Guard (Noblesville) 13 PPG 2 APG 2 SPG
Josiah Gustin Sophomore Forward (Pendleton Heights) 10 PPG 6 RPG 2 BPG

Last edited:
Albert Schwartz Sophomore Forward (Lafayette Central Catholic)- 8 PPG 7 RPG 1 APG
Only one that is a high major is Bidunga.

Reactions: ufo33
Is there a place that list all the freshmen & sophomores in the Indy area that played this year or have potential over the next few years.

Is there a place that list all the freshmen & sophomores in the Indy area that played this year or have potential over the next few years.
This is the website I use, most schools have their rosters and player stats on their page

Reactions: birdforbogey
Here's a video of Braylon Mullins, a 6-4 Freshman Guard from Greenfield-Central from before the season. He averaged 11 PPG 3 RPG 2 SPG this season.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I'd throw out Jaymen Townsend out of Marion. He was a freshman this year and averaged 15 and 6.
6'4-6'5 currently. Would be interesting to see what he could do if he grows a couple of more inches and could be a long, athletic wing.

They also play basketball south of I-70 in case you were curious.
Patience, lol. There seems to be more talented underclassman contributing to their teams in the northern part of the state than the southern part. As a matter of fact, with the exception of Cathedral, I'd be surprised if a team from the Southern half of the state tournamnet bracket took home a state championship this year. One kid that I had heard about in the southern half of the state is Cam Craig from Switzerland County. He's a 6'6" Freshman that averaged 19 PPG 8 RPG 1 APG.

Is Chase JR's brother?? Where are the Southern Indiana kids? Or did you just not look at their stats?

Is Chase JR's brother?? Where are the Southern Indiana kids? Or did you just not look at their stats?
Found a couple, but it looks like there's a higher amount of Freshman and Sophomores that are contributers (see significant minutes and average more than 1 or 2 PPG) on the varsity teams up north than down south. I'll more videos of the ones up north later and have seen a couple of Sophomore guards from the southern part of the state (Scottsburg) that might be worth watching (maybe one more than the other) that I'll post later. I think a moderator over on the premium board said he was JR's brother when I mentioned him over there awhile ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tru2Irish
Check out Cooper Farrall from Culver Military. 6'6 Jr. Scoring around 20pts per game. Can shoot the lights out, jump, etc....His dad played football for Mallory so if the kid has a good summer he will be in Woodson's ear to take a look.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I saw the sectional game Betten from Manchester played against Blackhawk Christian. He looked pretty good in a losing effort.

I saw the sectional game Betten from Manchester played against Blackhawk Christian. He looked pretty good in a losing effort.
And it looks like he has some range and can play "away from the basket", too. Usually high school coaches just park kids his size (6'5", 6'6") down on the blocks as rebounders and rim protectors. Be interesting to see how he develops the next 2 or 3 years.

Josiah Gustin Sophomore Forward (Pendleton Heights) 10 PPG 6 RPG 2 BPG
I'm not being snarky, but is this just scraping raw stats for underclassmen in-state and listing them? Aside from Bidunga and maybe Konieczny (since his brother's already a D-1 player), I doubt any of them are going to be mid-major or above D-1 players. Mullins and Gustin are from teams in our conference, and they're merely young players on mediocre to bad teams (although G-C is trending up and will be fairly good next season). I've seen both play, and while they're good for young players, they don't have Big 10 recruit written on them. Put it this way, our local school, Mt. Vernon, had the Jarrard twins, who are going to IUPUI next year. Their freshman year, they clearly looked like potential college players, and have only gotten better. While they'll make an impact at IUPUI at some point, they're still not IU-caliber.

As with the two above, the same seems to be the case with several of the others, although Wapahani was a force in 2A this year, so maybe Andrews bears a closer eye over the next two years.

Sisley, Bidunga, and Harralson are the three underclassmen that clearly are top level, D-1 recruits. Outside of them, we should be looking more on a national level for the next 2-3 classes.

Edit: forgot about the Benter kid from Brownstown Central. He'd be worth keeping an eye on, although it's still not clear if he's low major, sneaky talent that busts brackets someday in a first round NCAA tournament game, or ends up being someone that we ignore and goes to Wisconsin or Iowa or something and just terrorizes us for four years.

Last edited:
I'm not being snarky, but is this just scraping raw stats for underclassmen in-state and listing them? Aside from Bidunga and maybe Konieczny (since his brother's already a D-1 player), I doubt any of them are going to be mid-major or above D-1 players. Mullins and Gustin are from teams in our conference, and they're merely young players on mediocre to bad teams (although G-C is trending up and will be fairly good next season). I've seen both play, and while they're good for young players, they don't have Big 10 recruit written on them. Put it this way, our local school, Mt. Vernon, had the Jarrard twins, who are going to IUPUI next year. Their freshman year, they clearly looked like potential college players, and have only gotten better. While they'll make an impact at IUPUI at some point, they're still not IU-caliber.

As with the two above, the same seems to be the case with several of the others, although Wapahani was a force in 2A this year, so maybe Andrews bears a closer eye over the next two years.

Sisley, Bidunga, and Harralson are the three underclassmen that clearly are top level, D-1 recruits. Outside of them, we should be looking more on a national level for the next 2-3 classes.

Edit: forgot about the Benter kid from Brownstown Central. He'd be worth keeping an eye on, although it's still not clear if he's low major, sneaky talent that busts brackets someday in a first round NCAA tournament game, or ends up being someone that we ignore and goes to Wisconsin or Iowa or something and just terrorizes us for four years.
Probably depends on how tall Benter gets.

Patience, lol. There seems to be more talented underclassman contributing to their teams in the northern part of the state than the southern part. As a matter of fact, with the exception of Cathedral, I'd be surprised if a team from the Southern half of the state tournamnet bracket took home a state championship this year. One kid that I had heard about in the southern half of the state is Cam Craig from Switzerland County. He's a 6'6" Freshman that averaged 19 PPG 8 RPG 1 APG.
I thought you might mention Trent Sisley. from Heritage Hills.

Reactions: Tru2Irish

Does anyone have an opinion about the prospects for Connor Essegian at Wisconsin?

On highlights he looks like a shooter but highlights are highlights.

mOST ARE FROSH AND SOPHS. A lot of time to grow and expand abilities.So some could become major players. You never know. Give a Tom Coverdale type any day.
Tom Coverdale as a sophomore was already a big time prospect. He dropped 34 pts on us as that year

Does anyone have an opinion about the prospects for Connor Essegian at Wisconsin?

On highlights he looks like a shooter but highlights are highlights.
Decent athleticism. Above average shooter. If he acclimates well to the Wisconsin system he’ll contribute for them.

Decent athleticism. Above average shooter. If he acclimates well to the Wisconsin system he’ll contribute for them.
Thanks for the comments. La Lumiere has four players going to high D1 programs and Jalen Washington going to UNC plus the PU recruits and Essegian and CJ so quite a few going to respectable D1 programs that played high school ball in Indiana. ND getting Starling from Lumiere who was top ranked in Indiana by the usual services. If Jalen Washington from Gary West recovers from his injury he looks to have high potential at UNC. As a junior he had a decent jump shot.

Of course Notre Dame has an in recruiting at La Lumiere and it looks like Sampson recruits strongly there. Probably a good idea for Woodson to develop La Lumiere as an in state asset.

Having La Lumiere as a feeder program for IU would be huge but have to regain more IU bball cachet before it is within the realm of possibility.

Unrelated-
The Warriors are consistently a level above on shooting. They shot 46% last night from 3 and Jordan Poole is the latest lights out shooter. I don't understand how they do it if just influence of Curry or some high tech analysis contributes but they do an incredible job of relying successfully on the 3. I know Curry uses high tech training aids.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. La Lumiere has four players going to high D1 programs and Jalen Washington going to UNC plus the PU recruits and Essegian and CJ so quite a few going to respectable D1 programs that played high school ball in Indiana. ND getting Starling from Lumiere who was top ranked in Indiana by the usual services. If Jalen Washington from Gary West recovers from his injury he looks to have high potential at UNC. As a junior he had a decent jump shot.

Of course Notre Dame has an in recruiting at La Lumiere and it looks like Sampson recruits strongly there. Probably a good idea for Woodson to develop La Lumiere as an in state asset.

Having La Lumiere as a feeder program for IU would be huge but have to regain more IU bball cachet before it is within the realm of possibility.

Unrelated-
The Warriors are consistently a level above on shooting. They shot 46% last night from 3 and Jordan Poole is the latest lights out shooter. I don't understand how they do it if just influence of Curry or some high tech analysis contributes but they do an incredible job of relying successfully on the 3. I know Curry uses high tech training aids.
If the guys at LaLumiere now are anything like the last guy we got from there, no thanks. And while it might be nitpicking, LaLumiere is in no way, shape, or form Indiana high school basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT