ADVERTISEMENT

Bama NCs

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
In "modern" era which started in 1936: Bama 11; ND 8, OK 7, USC 7 (one vacated); OSU 6; Miami 5; Neb 5; Minn 4; Texas 4; Florida 3; FSU 3; LSU 3; MSU 2; Pitt 2; TN 2; PSU 2; Michigan 2; Clemson 2; Auburn 2; Army 2

These #s reflect AP; UPI; BCS, and college playoff honors since 1936.

After some edits that may be right for 2 or more.....teams with 1 that I know of are A@M; Maryland; TCU; Syracuse; BYU; Colorado; GT; Washington.....could be others

Last edited:
In "modern" era which started in 1936: Bama 11; ND 8, OK 7, USC 7 (one vacated); OSU 6; Miami 5; Neb 5; Minn 4; Texas 4; Florida 3; FSU 3; LSU 3; MSU 2; Pitt 2; TN 2; PSU 2; Michigan 2; Clemson 2; Auburn 2; Army 2

After some edits that may be right for 2 or more.....teams with 1 that I know of are A@M; Maryland; TCU; Syracuse; BYU; Colorado; GT; Washington.....could be others

Bama has TWO coaches with 6 national titles (Saban with one at LSU). So they both alone would be in the top 5.

I'm at least glad they settle it on the field, instead of multiple polls and champions. Some of those were decided by voters who liked a certain program. As an example, Notre Dame was ranked second and played the number one team to a tie both with Army (0-0) in 1946 and Michigan State (10-10) in 1966 and then magically became number one. I guess that's what happens when that is the favorite school of eastern writers!

The modern era consists of years from 1936 forward?

I'm at least glad they settle it on the field, instead of multiple polls and champions. Some of those were decided by voters who liked a certain program. As an example, Notre Dame was ranked second and played the number one team to a tie both with Army (0-0) in 1946 and Michigan State (10-10) in 1966 and then magically became number one. I guess that's what happens when that is the favorite school of eastern writers!
I think ND destroyed USC like the following weekend which helped them get the edge in the AP and UPI. MSU was ranked #1 in the Helms and some of the other lesser polls. MSU was not able to go to the Rose Bowl to take on USC because back then the Big Ten didn't allow a team to play in it 2 years in a row.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT