ADVERTISEMENT

Ballo, Rice, and Carlisle

Minutes are at a crunch right now if we're bringing in Ballo, Rice, and Carlyle. If you give Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo 25 a game, Gallo and Tucker 20, and Cupps 15, that leaves 20 minutes for a shooter, rotation big, Newton, and Leal. It's feasible factoring in 0 minutes for Newton and Leal, injuries, and foul trouble, but I think to bring in one more player, probably a shooter, you're going to have to convince them there will be opportunity for PT next season with Gallo, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo moving on. That or a grad transfer who likes the idea of getting a Kelly MBA (Hickman? Humrichous?).

Ideally someone like Hickman coming back to his hometown, getting the Kelly MBA, and the opportunity to play for bigger things than he would at a mid major could be swayed by a game plan to pop in for several 3-4 minute spurts in the game to knock down 3's.

I'm all for getting the best kids available and figuring it out later. I want to do right by the student athletes but it's harder for Woodson to **** up rotations when he has a 10 deep rotation.

Looks like they are all crystal ball leans-to IU! I would love to get Conwell and Hickman as well. I think for the sixth player we need a wing, who would you like most? I think I like the Tyson kid from Belmont.
Will be interesting to see how many ultimately end up on the roster due to available minutes. I wonder if the staff did/will offer the Blazi(?) athlete from overseas that visited a few weeks back? He might be content in a developmental role.

Gotta have real shooters if you want to win.

If we are talking transfer portal, let's start at 37% from 3 and get 2 of them, plus some of the others mentioned.

Minutes are at a crunch right now if we're bringing in Ballo, Rice, and Carlyle. If you give Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo 25 a game, Gallo and Tucker 20, and Cupps 15, that leaves 20 minutes for a shooter, rotation big, Newton, and Leal. It's feasible factoring in 0 minutes for Newton and Leal, injuries, and foul trouble, but I think to bring in one more player, probably a shooter, you're going to have to convince them there will be opportunity for PT next season with Gallo, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo moving on. That or a grad transfer who likes the idea of getting a Kelly MBA (Hickman? Humrichous?).

Ideally someone like Hickman coming back to his hometown, getting the Kelly MBA, and the opportunity to play for bigger things than he would at a mid major could be swayed by a game plan to pop in for several 3-4 minute spurts in the game to knock down 3's.

I'm all for getting the best kids available and figuring it out later. I want to do right by the student athletes but it's harder for Woodson to **** up rotations when he has a 10 deep rotation.
Have ever heard of injuries. Best players play. Quit worrying about minutes. No one is entitled to minutes. They are earned.

IUs been plagued with injuries for so many consecutive years, there are plenty of minutes almost always, would never worry about that.

Keep stacking talent I say.

Has Trey had his knee surgery yet?

IUs been plagued with injuries for so many consecutive years, there are plenty of minutes almost always, would never worry about that.

Keep stacking talent I say.

Has Trey had his knee surgery yet?
Yes. Cupps won't get that many minutes.

Reactions: edub72
Cupps isn’t going to play a lot if we get Carlyle, Hickman, Rice and Conwell

Have ever heard of injuries. Best players play. Quit worrying about minutes. No one is entitled to minutes. They are earned.
Yeah but it's realistic that kids want to play and will choose their school based on that. An expansive NIL package and winning helps smooth over lack of play time. One we have, one remains to be seen.

Cupps needs to transfer if both Rice and Carlyle come. They have multiple years left. I believe Conwell,Ballo,Rice,Carlyle,Tyson and another front court player would move the needle. Hickman,I'm not sure if he could handle BIG10.

Reactions: edub72
Cupps needs to transfer if both Rice and Carlyle come. They have multiple years left. I believe Conwell,Ballo,Rice,Carlyle,Tyson and another front court player would move the needle. Hickman,I'm not sure if he could handle BIG10.
Are you sure Conwell is coming? I would love to have his 3 pt shooting.

This crossed my mind last night as I was reading about the weekend visits. If CMW hits a home run and lands all these guys, Gabe’s got some thinking to do. When does the portal close?

Cupps isn’t going to play a lot if we get Carlyle, Hickman, Rice and Conwell
If Carlyle signs, and turns it over like last year, Cupps will play instead.

The kid played huge minutes as a true freshman. He's only going to get better and more comfortable.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If Carlyle signs, and turns it over like last year, Cupps will play instead.

The kid played huge minutes as a true freshman. He's only going to get better and more comfortable.
Do you know how stupid this is. Carlyle should be a 2. When you try to drive past your man you will get to the rim and turn it over. When you have no chance to beat a defender and finish like Cupps then you will not score or turn it over.

Do you know how stupid this is. Carlyle should be a 2. When you try to drive past your man you will get to the rim and turn it over. When you have no chance to beat a defender and finish like Cupps then you will not score or turn it over.
You are trying to convince me that a guy who turns it over and played for a losing team is somehow a good thing?

When Verdell Jones was turning it over IU needed his ability to create and score, particularly off the dribble.

If that is what Carlyle does for IU, then they might be able to live with it some.

But if Rice signs, I would expect Trey to beat out a guy like Carlyle more often than not. Good to have a scorer off the bench (Carlyle), but he has to reduce his turnovers if he wants to play meaningful minutes at IU.
Reneau has that card punched already. There won't be room for 2 of them in the starting 5, I can assure you.

He needs to take that 2.9 per game down to under 2.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You are trying to convince me that a guy who turns it over and played for a losing team is somehow a good thing?

When Verdell Jones was turning it over IU needed his ability to create and score, particularly off the dribble.

If that is what Carlyle does for IU, then they might be able to live with it some.

But if Rice signs, I would expect Trey to beat out a guy like Carlyle more often than not. Good to have a scorer off the bench (Carlyle), but he has to reduce his turnovers if he wants to play meaningful minutes at IU.
Reneau has that card punched already. There won't be room for 2 of them in the starting 5, I can assure you.

He needs to take that 2.9 per game down to under 2.
Nothing else needs to be said after this post. You are a Trey 1970 basketball person. How did that work out last year

Are you sure Conwell is coming? I would love to have his 3 pt shooting.
Never said any were coming. Said that would move the needle if they got those guys. I'd like Conwell in a 3 guard O. If they get Ballo, then that changes lineup. Still, I could see 3-4 guards getting minutes with Galloway,Conwell,Rice and Carlyle.

Nothing else needs to be said after this post. You are a Trey 1970 basketball person. How did that work out last year
Shooting and perimeter defense were the biggest problems last year. Galloway was actually quite helpful with his distributions, particularly in the last 7 games or so. I'm not saying Carlyle isn't useful. What I am saying is:
1) he is a create your own type scorer, not a shooter
2) he turns the ball over too much to play 25 mpg. He will not play that much if we have other guards like Gallo who do not have a negative assist to turnover ratio.

So if he wants to do more than replace Gunn, he needs to improve on taking care of the basketball. 2.9 will not get it done unless he's like Caitlin Clark on offense (which he isn't).

Shooting and perimeter defense were the biggest problems last year. Galloway was actually quite helpful with his distributions, particularly in the last 7 games or so. I'm not saying Carlyle isn't useful. What I am saying is:
1) he is a create your own type scorer, not a shooter
2) he turns the ball over too much to play 25 mpg. He will not play that much if we have other guards like Gallo who do not have a negative assist to turnover ratio.

So if he wants to do more than replace Gunn, he needs to improve on taking care of the basketball. 2.9 will not get it done unless he's like Caitlin Clark on offense (which he isn't).
lol ........

Reactions: Tegray1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT